2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

I realized I posted this in the wrong thread… but I have a couple of ideas for BOS.

This trade would leave us with over $2M in cap space even though we retain $1M on Lucic. We also get an LD in return with the same term as Hanifin. 

To CGY

Hall, Taylor

Grzelcyk, Matt

BOS

Lucic, Milan ($1,000,000 retained)

Hanifin, Noah (born in Boston)

Retained Salary Transactions

Milan Lucic: $1,000,000 (19.05%)

*or*

To CGY

Hall, Taylor

Folino, Nick or Smith, Craig

BOS

Lucic, Milan ($1,000,000 retained)

Toffoli, Tyler 

Retained Salary Transactions

Milan Lucic: $1,000,000 (19.05%)

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

$14-$15mil in cap space next year without Weegar. If we were to move Lucic or Mony now and utilize the cap savings, we're getting into cap gymnastics for next year already.

For sure. I think if we move either of these players - especially since their output and value has fallen - we should only be moving them for players with expiring contracts as well, and if possible, for lower cap players to give us more cap flexibility for this year. Albeit in my suggestion above I targeted Hall who has 3 years of term left, but I also had Hanifin or Toffoli going the other way with Looch to reduce future cap gymnastics. 

I still feel there’s a deal to be had with CHI that would include Mony as one of the pieces going the other way. P.Kane is my target. 

1 hour ago, jefsmi said:

Anyone interested in Chandler Stevenson? Was the first line C before Jack E, good contract. I doubt he is that true number 1 but he would be a good addition. Not sure how easy it is to trade within division.

I think he plays LW with Eichel and Stone.

Not a bad target, but I think they value him pretty highly.

He has a career year last year with 21g 43a.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

$14-$15mil in cap space next year without Weegar. If we were to move Lucic or Mony now and utilize the cap savings, we're getting into cap gymnastics for next year already.

its a great point. I think the feeling is the flames have this new found flexibility but they really don’t. Losing Monahan and Lucic next offseason are going to pay for Huberdeau and Weegar. next summer they are going to need to deal with Lindholm too. 

id be really hesitant to be picking up multi year salaries big salaries if I were the flames especially for many of the players being thrown out here. Can make it work for the right player but Hall definetly shouldn’t be it. 

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

id be really hesitant to be picking up multi year salaries big salaries if I were the flames especially for many of the players being thrown out here. Can make it work for the right player but Hall definetly shouldn’t be it. 

I don’t disagree with your multi year salary comment, however, you seem to have ignored that Toffoli is going the other way in my proposed trade, and it would be the difference between Toff and Hall that would be added to future cap. $1.75M to be exact. Doesn’t put a dent in the $11M plus coming off the books for Looch and Monahan. I know many here aren’t too enthralled with Toffoli, so I figured acquiring Hall, who is the same age as Toffoli, but has the speed that many here have identified Toffoli doesn’t, might be a smart move. 

Is it perhaps that you don’t like Hall as a target? Or that you prefer Toffoli to Hall? Even that $1.75M difference can be made up for by trading Valimaki which almost seems inevitable. 🤓

My biggest questions going into training camp:

1. How healthy is Monahan? Is ready to go? If he is going on LTIR that changes things a lot. Can he come in and show some of his former glory? IMO he is the biggest question mark of the upcoming season.

2. Who is the 2nd line center? Is it Backlund? Monahan? Is he not on the roster yet? I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing if Ruzicka can win that job, but he has to show up to training camp and take it. Monahan would need a lot of speed on his wings to make that work, and I think Huberdeau is the only guy that could maybe get any offense out of him. Backlund as of right now is the best bet and he still drives play, would like a little more offense though.

3. Are any AHL players going to make the jump? Calgary could use some impact from guys making under $1m. Ruzicka, Pelletier and Mackey are the likely candidates. You can probably add Valimaki in there and hopefully he has had a good off-season of training. Phillips is another guy, we need a top 6 RW and maybe it’s time to give him a look, size is working against him though.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Maybe so, but that’s what winning teams do in a cap world…maybe Cgy should consider this. If your going for it you go all in then manage the following years issues then.

having said that, good forethought and long term planning can absolutely make this easier.

and for my last thought on that, in the past Cgy really wasn’t built in a way that would

allow this all in type COA (course of action), it’s been a long time since they were in this position and much has changed since then (2004) in the cap world  so it’s also a new mindset for most of us fans, so some of the all in type options many of us are not very comfortable with…but locking in Huby I’d suggest that’s exactly where Mgt is going for the next few years.

28 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I don’t disagree with your multi year salary comment, however, you seem to have ignored that Toffoli is going the other way in my proposed trade, and it would be the difference between Toff and Hall that would be added to future cap. $1.75M to be exact. Doesn’t put a dent in the $11M plus coming off the books for Looch and Monahan. I know many here aren’t too enthralled with Toffoli, so I figured acquiring Hall, who is the same age as Toffoli, but has the speed that many here have identified Toffoli doesn’t, might be a smart move. 

Is it perhaps that you don’t like Hall as a target? Or that you prefer Toffoli to Hall? Even that $1.75M difference can be made up for by trading Valimaki which almost seems inevitable. 🤓

i don’t see the rationale of another 6 mill LS LW no. Definetly not at the expense of a RS

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

1. How healthy is Monahan? Is ready to go? If he is going on LTIR that changes things a lot. Can he come in and show some of his former glory? IMO he is the biggest question mark of the upcoming season.

2. Who is the 2nd line center? Is it Backlund? Monahan? Is he not on the roster yet? I wouldn’t be opposed to seeing if Ruzicka can win that job, but he has to show up to training camp and take it. Monahan would need a lot of speed on his wings to make that work, and I think Huberdeau is the only guy that could maybe get any offense out of him. Backlund as of right now is the best bet and he still drives play, would like a little more offense though.

3. Are any AHL players going to make the jump? Calgary could use some impact from guys making under $1m. Ruzicka, Pelletier and Mackey are the likely candidates. You can probably add Valimaki in there and hopefully he has had a good off-season of training. Phillips is another guy, we need a top 6 RW and maybe it’s time to give him a look, size is working against him though.

I think we have to play Monahan with a playmaker; it's the only way he's going to pot 20+.  He's never been much of an assist guy.  

That leads me to your #2, which is the need for a playmaking 2C.  A cheaper version of Kadri if you like.  Allows you to use either Mange or Toffoli on that line and not force them into a defensive play style.  Perhaps a line of Pelletier-Rodrigues-Toffoli would be best suited.  A playmaker, a shooter and a guy that has played with good players.  

This would allow you to use Monahan on Backlund's wing.  He can take O-zone draws to spell off Backlund.  The other wing is Coleman.  This also saves Rozie for the 4th line, or an alt for Monahan on Backlund's wing.

4th line could then be Lucic/Ruzicka-Rooney/Ruzicka-Lewis/Dube.  I would look at two possible options for the 4th line; one is the beefy line, the other is a speed line.

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis is beefy.

Rooney-Ruzicka-Dube is faster.

I realize this doesn't put Dube in a good spot.  The unknown health of Monahan probably puts Dube in MOnahan's spot with Backlund, and he can switch sides with Coleman.  It's really difficult to project, since Monahan is an unknown and Dube really only plays RW really well. 

If we don't go after Rodriguez, I would think it's almost better to use Dube with Valimaki or even Hanifin to bring in a higher end 2C.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

If we don't go after Rodriguez, I would think it's almost better to use Dube with Valimaki or even Hanifin to bring in a higher end 2C.  

Agreed. Or, Stastny is still available. But we would likely need to make cap room for him, as he made $3.75M last season and I’m not sure he’d accept too much lower than that. 

28 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Agreed. Or, Stastny is still available. But we would likely need to make cap room for him, as he made $3.75M last season and I’m not sure he’d accept too much lower than that. 

If he wants a crack at winning a cup he'll have to take what he can get, not many contending teams can give him that number.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

its a great point. I think the feeling is the flames have this new found flexibility but they really don’t. Losing Monahan and Lucic next offseason are going to pay for Huberdeau and Weegar. next summer they are going to need to deal with Lindholm too. 

I have to revert to BT. But it's definitely worth being patient. I know there are still a few things to do, I'm sure he's got a card or 2 up his sleeve. We can always expect the unexpected.lol

Hate to rush to graduate guys, but I hope that can happen.

12 hours ago, cross16 said:

Window though... it opens and it closes.  When its open, then stack the roster.  Go for it.  Deal with what comes in three years in three years.

12 hours ago, JTech780 said:

1.  Monahan was healthy last season and only put up a 4th line performance.  He was good though.  No complaints in that role.  If only he was making under $2-million... I expect him to be a legit NHLer and will be in the line up but don't expect him to win the 2nd line Center job... even 3rd line Center is a question mark.  Front runner 3rd line Center is probably Rooney at this moment with Ruzicka having a decent shot depending on camp.

2.  Backlund of course.  You're only asking because you and everybody knows that that's not good enough.  It's going to be Backlund sadly.  Who are we kidding right?

3. 7th D should come down to Valimaki, Mackey, and Meloche.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Meloche in the AHL all season because we need RHS RD to balance out the D with the Wranglers.  He'll get some good minutes and be the first call up if necessary.  So 7th D probably comes down to Valimaki vs Mackey.  Edge goes to Valimaki for me.  Mackey is simply too vanilla and emotionless.

I think both Pelletier and Rucizka will play.  Problem for Rucizka is that Sutter wants RHS C and Ruzicka was bumped off for Jarnkrok last season due to this.  I feel Sutter doesn't like him because of that but maybe i'm reading too much into it.

Speaking of RHS, we only have 3 RHS forwards.  Lindholm is our only RHS C... I'm hoping Coronato has a great season and we sign him as a black ace going into the playoffs (give him the 10 games to "burn his first year" type of thing).  That's a RHS top 6 RW right there.

Cole Schwindt RHS C/RW is the wildcard.  He played 3 games for FLA last season and that's not an easy roster to crack.  I've never seen him play but he could become a Sutter favorite based on shot hand alone.  IF he's good in the faceoff then he could be a full timer.

Walker Duehr RHS RW has an outside chance as well.  He is a low ceiling but I wonder if Lewis will play 4th line Center which opens up the opportunity for Duehr to play 4th line RW and give that line some speed.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

3. 7th D should come down to Valimaki, Mackey, and Meloche.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Meloche in the AHL all season because we need RHS RD to balance out the D with the Wranglers.  He'll get some good minutes and be the first call up if necessary.  So 7th D probably comes down to Valimaki vs Mackey.  Edge goes to Valimaki for me.  Mackey is simply too vanilla and emotionless.

They signed Brook to a PTO, but also signed him to an AHL deal.  RHS D.

Kuz also has played a lot on RD.

By NHL experience, Meloce has more recent experience, and not that many less than Valimaki.  I do think Sutter values both Meloche and Mackey over Valimaki, even if the latter has a higher ceiling.  I almost expect a trade of Valimaki at some point this summer.

20 hours ago, JTech780 said:

This is kind of where my head is too..

BT has done an amazing job of getting rid of the 8 ball we could have been caught behind .

Unless a deal is there we need to do, nobody HAS to be moved ..

Lucic is overpaid yes, but he plays his role well..a winning team has a player like him.. if we don't have to move him to get another player in , then keep him.. 

Monahan could very well fill his own role if he's healthy and be that #2 center .. if he can't , it's because he's not healthy and will likely go back to IR.. Sutter was quite honest last year that he took blame for not shutting him down sooner ..he won't make that mistake again.. 

The ONLY way im moving Hanifin is for a hockey trade .. 2c , something along those lines .. he's a top pair D on a great contract . He shouid command a great return if we needed him to.. 

The wild card for me is Valimaki.. we thought the same of kyllington this time last year .. but the right partner could finally bring him to where he shouid be .and if that's not in the cards another team might be thinking the same thing.. I'd bet nearly anything he would not clear waivers . And to do so wouid be a major blunder . Right or wrong ..many placed him in the same level as Heiskenen.. if not us, some team still thinks that . 

In the name of asset management, it makes sense to explore a Valimaki trade. 

Little disappointing because the organization had high hopes for him. Right now though, he's likely #9 on the depth chart, possible 10th if/when they sign Stone.

I remember last season, before the All-Canadian season, Valimaki was playing well in Liiga. Some "pundits" thought he could be in the Calder mix. 

There's no question though, it would be a disappointing return for the Flames. Probably something like the Juolevi deal, VAN got Lammiko and Juulsen. Lammikko was a 4th liner that was making league minimum, Juulsen, like Juolevi, was a 1st rd pick that also didn't pan out.

I would look at a team like Chicago as a possible match. The Hawks really only have 4 NHL D right now.

Again, I don't think you're talking about a huge return. Someone like Mackenzie Entwhistle or Reese Johnson. Both have 2yrs of term at 800k. Reese Johnson has a Sutter connection as he was a Red Deer Rebel. Maybe you look at a swap for Nic Beaudin, another 1st who hasn't panned out.

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

In the name of asset management, it makes sense to explore a Valimaki trade. 

Little disappointing because the organization had high hopes for him. Right now though, he's likely #9 on the depth chart, possible 10th if/when they sign Stone.

I remember last season, before the All-Canadian season, Valimaki was playing well in Liiga. Some "pundits" thought he could be in the Calder mix. 

There's no question though, it would be a disappointing return for the Flames. Probably something like the Juolevi deal, VAN got Lammiko and Juulsen. Lammikko was a 4th liner that was making league minimum, Juulsen, like Juolevi, was a 1st rd pick that also didn't pan out.

I would look at a team like Chicago as a possible match. The Hawks really only have 4 NHL D right now.

Again, I don't think you're talking about a huge return. Someone like Mackenzie Entwhistle or Reese Johnson. Both have 2yrs of term at 800k. Reese Johnson has a Sutter connection as he was a Red Deer Rebel.

I actually wonder if he could be used in a reclamation project ..  as u say return will likely be low , mid round pick if we're lucky .

But what if you flipped him for , say, a Drouin?  MTL needs to hit on a dman.. Drouin needs new scenery.. MTL eats half salary so hes 2.75 coming in and 1.8 going out ..

Doesn't work he's off the books after a season . But playing with a player like Huberdeau could be just what the dr ordered .

If not Drouin then soembody similar 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

I actually wonder if he could be used in a reclamation project ..  as u say return will likely be low , mid round pick if we're lucky .

But what if you flipped him for , say, a Drouin?  MTL needs to hit on a dman.. Drouin needs new scenery.. MTL eats half salary so hes 2.75 coming in and 1.8 going out ..

Doesn't work he's off the books after a season . But playing with a player like Huberdeau could be just what the dr ordered .

If not Drouin then soembody similar 

Valimaki is in an interesting spot. 

Right now, I don't think he makes the team. Treliving even commented that 21/22 wasn't the best season from Valimaki. 

Personally, I don't think Valimaki would be claimed on waivers. Teams are trying to trim their roster, not add in October. I see a league where every team is going to be at or near the cap and a player that is overpaid for what he is right now and IMO he's a tweener/7th at the moment. The Flames were able to get Kylington through waivers on a contract that was close to league minimum, not sure there will be an appetite for a player making 1.5. 

The hope should be that Valimaki can be this year's Kylington. It's going to be an uphill battle though. The Flames blueline is much deeper than it was a year ago. Aside from having a great camp, a couple things really helped Kylington; the Flames had just lost Gio and Zadorov didn't fit at all in the top 4. Unless there's injuries, hard to see a top 6 job for Juuso. 

Maybe BT determines is best for a change of scenery for both sides. 

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Valimaki is in an interesting spot. 

Right now, I don't think he makes the team. Treliving even commented that 21/22 wasn't the best season from Valimaki. 

Personally, I don't think Valimaki would be claimed on waivers. Teams are trying to trim their roster, not add in October. I see a league where every team is going to be at or near the cap and a player that is overpaid for what he is right now and IMO he's a tweener/7th at the moment. The Flames were able to get Kylington through waivers on a contract that was close to league minimum, not sure there will be an appetite for a player making 1.5. 

The hope should be that Valimaki can be this year's Kylington. It's going to be an uphill battle though. The Flames blueline is much deeper than it was a year ago. Aside from having a great camp, a couple things really helped Kylington; the Flames had just lost Gio and Zadorov didn't fit at all in the top 4. Unless there's injuries, hard to see a top 6 job for Juuso. 

Maybe BT determines is best for a change of scenery for both sides. 

Oh don't get me wrong..I think there's a high chance he clears too.. just not 100%..

Just saying the optics should he get claimed are brutal..

This is one of Tre's prized 1st round  picks .. the first one for all intents and purposes busted out..(Bennett)..the second looked good and then wanted out ( tkachuk)..the 3rd being lost on waivers after being untouchable at one point would be brutal.. I just can't see him being willing to let that happen . A low return buys a lot more forgiveness and if nothing else salvages a lot of pride as well 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Window though... it opens and it closes.  When its open, then stack the roster.  Go for it.  Deal with what comes in three years in three years.

Can work both ways though. You stack your cap and lose flexibility your can shorten your window. 
Flexibility keeps the window open longer and it should be open for a while here. 

28 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Oh don't get me wrong..I think there's a high chance he clears too.. just not 100%..

Just saying the optics should he get claimed are brutal..

This is one of Tre's prized 1st round  picks .. the first one for all intents and purposes busted out..(Bennett)..the second looked good and then wanted out ( tkachuk)..the 3rd being lost on waivers after being untouchable at one point would be brutal.. I just can't see him being willing to let that happen . A low return buys a lot more forgiveness and if nothing else salvages a lot of pride as well 

I totally agree. We're both in agreeance that Valimaki could clear, but yeah, I doubt BT would even risk it.

Valimaki has been someone that the organization has highly valued. By this point it's well known that they ended up missing out on Mark Stone because the Flames refused to move Valimaki. To your point, likely not a good look if you end up losing that same player on waivers. 

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I totally agree. We're both in agreeance that Valimaki could clear, but yeah, I doubt BT would even risk it.

Valimaki has been someone that the organization has highly valued. By this point it's well known that they ended up missing out on Mark Stone because the Flames refused to move Valimaki. To your point, likely not a good look if you end up losing that same player on waivers. 

It’s been pretty much unanimously reported now that Stone was only willing to sign long term in Vegas. Stone was only going to be a rental for the flames.