2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm also not of the opinion that the Flame are going to add a number one center anytime soon so this debate isn't really that important. Unless you get lucky via trade (Eichel, Joe Thornton, Zibanajed) you have to draft them so the focus should really be on increasing center depth and in particular getting a center that can rush/carry the puck. 

That's kinda the point isn't it.  You don't get a top C in trade unless one wants out of his current situation.  And you are talking Tkachuk level trade returns.  I wouldn't have paid what FLA did to get a winger.  We missed out on Eichel, but BUFF wanted what they wanted.  And that was a risky trade.  

39 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'm with cross on finding a younger C that can take on more responsibility but doesn't have a path forward. I thought Zacha would have been a good kick at it, for example.

Zacha could be available. I mean, Boston is over the cap and signed him to a 1 year contract only which walks him to UFA at the end of the season. 

I know we're on the hunt for players for this year, but, all the same...

Any appetite for giving some PTOs out to Swiss players?  I feel they are still poorly scouted.

That two that would come to mind are:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/520239/noah-meier

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/291304/nathan-vouardoux

4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I know we're on the hunt for players for this year, but, all the same...

Any appetite for giving some PTOs out to Swiss players?  I feel they are still poorly scouted.

That two that would come to mind are:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/520239/noah-meier

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/291304/nathan-vouardoux

Are they not already under contract in the Swiss league?

Does Valimaki for Keiffer Bellows make sense?

It just seems like Valimaki is going to be the odd man out on this blue line and it makes sense to try and recoup something in return for him. 

Bellows is a guy who was drafted high, but hasn’t found his footing yet, and played mostly 4th line minutes with the Islanders last year. He is an RFA and is waiver eligible. He plays a bit of a power forward style so he probably would fit in here.

The Islanders blue line depth is pretty weak so adding a guy like Valimaki might interest them.

40 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Does Valimaki for Keiffer Bellows make sense?

It just seems like Valimaki is going to be the odd man out on this blue line and it makes sense to try and recoup something in return for him. 

Bellows is a guy who was drafted high, but hasn’t found his footing yet, and played mostly 4th line minutes with the Islanders last year. He is an RFA and is waiver eligible. He plays a bit of a power forward style so he probably would fit in here.

The Islanders blue line depth is pretty weak so adding a guy like Valimaki might interest them.

I mean sure, why not.  He's a RFA with rights, so they have to do it soon.

20 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know what's up with that.  Maybe fishing for clicks.

Since Rask's wedding, the rumors seems to come and go.

Might be more in the know when it comes to the Bruins, also has had Lucic on his show before.  I'm getting annoyed with these eyeball tweets though lol

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know what's up with that.  Maybe fishing for clicks.

Since Rask's wedding, the rumors seems to come and go.

I think he is pretty connected in Boston hockey circles. 

Lucic has a 10 team yes list, I would assume Boston is on that list.

Boston and Flames are a weird match on paper. Boston is over the cap and while I know they have players that will start the season on LTIR no one is expected to miss the season so at some point they need to get cap compliant.  They also gave Bergeron and Krejic 4.5 mill of potential bonuses and i'm sure they'd like to create some cushion there to account for those being reached to avoid a cap charge next year. But perhaps there is really a last dance scenario and they will just take whatever dead cap they get. With 9 UFAs and little in the way of prospects they could handle it. 

From a Flames perspective there really isn't much there that intrigues me. 

Lucic back to Boston has been mentioned by enough people that you've gotta believe there's at least some smoke around it. 

It's tough to find an obvious deal that makes sense for both clubs. While I'm sure BOS would love to see Lucic finish his career in the black and yellow, they've gotta clear money for it to work. I'd imagine the Bruins would love to move Foligno

The Flames have the ability to take on Foligno and Craig Smith. The Flames would even have the ability to eat some money, but at what cost to Boston? They don't have a 2nd for two years and one of the league's thinnest prospect pools.

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Lucic back to Boston has been mentioned by enough people that you've gotta believe there's at least some smoke around it. 

It's tough to find an obvious deal that makes sense for both clubs. While I'm sure BOS would love to see Lucic finish his career in the black and yellow, they've gotta clear money for it to work. I'd imagine the Bruins would love to move Foligno

The Flames have the ability to take on Foligno and Craig Smith. The Flames would even have the ability to eat some money, but at what cost to Boston? They don't have a 2nd for two years and one of the league's thinnest prospect pools.

I don’t see why Cgy takes Foligno in anyway…Smith as an add on to balance out salary I could see if Lucic is going to Bos…I’d think the only reason Cgy would consider anything from Bos would be to take a chance on DeBrusk…

To Cgy

DeBrusk or Hall with no Smith 

Smith

to Bos

Lucic 

in essence, it’s a Lucic for DeBrusk trade…having said that it’s probably a bad trade for For Bos giving DeBrusk is younger and under contract for 4 more seasons, vs Lucic has clearly declined is much older and on last year of a deal…granted DeBrusk has indeed struggled last year and a bit the year before that but he has time to rebound, Lucic not so much. 

Hall makes some

sense for Cgy but again the Lucic values awfully low…

anyway, I can see Foligno, in any way as it’s pretty much a Lucic for + Cgy taking on an extra bad contract as a favour to make dollars works…the only way that would happens is if there is a massive over pay and Cgy was going into a rebuild, which it’s clear they are not.

Outside the DeBrusk option, is there another option? Is there better players that Bos could add on? Can Bos add a 1st? maybe a package deal with Monahan and Lucic?  Maybe but on the surface the fit doesn’t seem to be there…maybe there is a fit for a 3 team deal with Bos…Cgy and Maybe NYI? 

Edit: I’m not sure about the cap but maybe a larger deal like:

to Bos:

Lucic

Monahan

to Cgy

Hall

DeBrusk

may make some sense, pretty sure there would need to be some cap add ins somewhere and probably some talent balances but for a foundation of a trade with Bos that could be a better fit for Cgy…Bos may want some insurance on Monahan though…

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Wow we're really dreaming up Lucic having any trade value here aren't we...

At best, we are looking at a hold your nose trade.  We got him when we traded Neal.  Shouldn't really expect anything other than a hold your nose trade.  If BOS was willing to trade Debrusk or Smith, it's because they want them gone and haven't been able to make any deals.  

Lucic is more apt to retire than being traded.  We are not paying a team to take him so they can reach the cap floor.  He can choose to play out his contract, and if anything sign a smaller deal next season to stay.  That may be highly unlikely unless Sutter re-ups.  On the retirement kick, Looch has got his bonus, so this season is playing for $1M.  

We don't really need his cap space unless we are signing Kadri.  I find it unlikely we do.  But that's just me.  Not the worst idea in the world, but it creates cap problems this and next year to start.  Means we have to move Hanifin just to have future cap, since Monahan only fixes this year.

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

At best, we are looking at a hold your nose trade.  We got him when we traded Neal.  Shouldn't really expect anything other than a hold your nose trade.  If BOS was willing to trade Debrusk or Smith, it's because they want them gone and haven't been able to make any deals.  

Lucic is more apt to retire than being traded.  We are not paying a team to take him so they can reach the cap floor.  He can choose to play out his contract, and if anything sign a smaller deal next season to stay.  That may be highly unlikely unless Sutter re-ups.  On the retirement kick, Looch has got his bonus, so this season is playing for $1M.  

We don't really need his cap space unless we are signing Kadri.  I find it unlikely we do.  But that's just me.  Not the worst idea in the world, but it creates cap problems this and next year to start.  Means we have to move Hanifin just to have future cap, since Monahan only fixes this year.

It would take a 3rd team to broker the deal without question, so they'd get a 2nd from us for brokering, but we'd still likely retain at least $1mil.

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It would take a 3rd team to broker the deal without question, so they'd get a 2nd from us for brokering, but we'd still likely retain at least $1mil.

TBH, I am not even sure how the "actual" salary works in a retention.

I was presuming for a minute that we retained about 1/2 his cap, which should be $500k of actual, but since he had a bonus of $3M, don't even know how that works.  Since EDM retained $750k, I think the max we could is 50% of $5.25M.  Anyway, I doubt we find a taker this year, and the value of free cap space (if we got any) is only useful if you use it now or it allows you to replace short term injuries.  

Considering that Valimaki may get waived for the roster spot, we actually have a decent amount of cap as it is.  Without considering Valimaki, we have $2.5M minus the salary for Rozie.  If we replace Valimaki with Mackey or Meloche, we gain another $500k.  That includes Monahan and Pelletier.  So, around $2M as it is.  

If we are considering trading Hanifin or Kylington, likely the salary coming back is a wash.  Trading either for a pick doesn't make a lot of sense.