Blow It Up?

The_People1

Blow It Up?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What level of "blow it up" would you like to see?

• Level 3 - Everyone from Treliving down must go
    • Level 2 - Most of the core players must go
    • Level 1 - At least one core player must go
    • Level 0 - Minor changes will do

This poll is closed to new votes

8 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Lol yes but so too dose the top 6 especially on the Right side 

Well our top 6 has mostly been okay.  Our PP has been great for example.  Yes, we need that RW to balance out the lines.  

Backlund has 2 goals.  Lucic has 2 goals.  And then Bennett, Ryan, Leivo, Simon, Nordstrom combine for 0-goals and 3-points in basically 9 or 10 games each.  That, plus Leivo is getting a lot of ice time with Gaudreau - Monahan.  This level of production is pretty much unacceptable.  Comparably speaking, this is a key reason why the Oilers miss the playoffs every season.  They have almost no run support from their bottom 6 and our bottom 6 is never a threat to score this season.  This is especially critical with our D slowing down offensively.  Giordano isn't going to put up 74-points and Brodie's transitional game is gone.  Our D is very young now so we need our forwards to do most of the scoring.

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Lindholm have carried the forward lines.  Even Monahan deserves honorably mention on the PP.  Dube and Mangiapane have had up and downs but generally been dangerous and created scoring chances.  The top 6 is performing to what is expected of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 8:37 PM, The_People1 said:

Well our top 6 has mostly been okay.  Our PP has been great for example.  Yes, we need that RW to balance out the lines.  

Backlund has 2 goals.  Lucic has 2 goals.  And then Bennett, Ryan, Leivo, Simon, Nordstrom combine for 0-goals and 3-points in basically 9 or 10 games each.  That, plus Leivo is getting a lot of ice time with Gaudreau - Monahan.  This level of production is pretty much unacceptable.  Comparably speaking, this is a key reason why the Oilers miss the playoffs every season.  They have almost no run support from their bottom 6 and our bottom 6 is never a threat to score this season.  This is especially critical with our D slowing down offensively.  Giordano isn't going to put up 74-points and Brodie's transitional game is gone.  Our D is very young now so we need our forwards to do most of the scoring.

Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Lindholm have carried the forward lines.  Even Monahan deserves honorably mention on the PP.  Dube and Mangiapane have had up and downs but generally been dangerous and created scoring chances.  The top 6 is performing to what is expected of them.

while I do agree for the most part, the issue here is there needs to be a major change in the locker room culture so with that in mind I say:

1. BT has gotta go, he did some good things but the past two years he’s not really managed much other than spending big money in FA...all be it this year he seems to have done well, the only question is the term theses guys are here for and I could see those contracts biting us in the butt...let’s not forget Hamer (all be it a trade of sorts, it was still a trade and sign situation so pretty much like FA) and Hammer was pretty good for a few years there but the last few not so much. Tanev and Markstrom could flop over the next few years but for now I’m not holding it against BT but I will hold his wasteful spending on Stone and Rino as well as not being able to land a few big options Hall, PLD, Anderson (the Mlt one) etc...I should think he aught to have been able to land Anderson at the very least...anyways it’s theses guys that I feel he could land mostly because I think they see Cgy as they are, a streaky team, which has been the frustration of us fans for how many years now? It’s time for new GM with new vision as this song and dance is getting old.

2. inherently with the GM, coaching staff needs a complete over haul, something that they never really have done, partly yes but there are still some guy here from the Sutter days...definitely needs to be changed...who knows it could as simple as this but I’m more of a fix the whole thing...do it right the driest time type so it’s time to change out the entire coaching team...added to that, Ward has been questionable at best anyway so he needs to go.

3. core players have got to go...as a matter of fact I think I’ll list the keepers as the list is much shorter...and I’m only talking about our current active roster players not the farm or prospects:

Markstrom

Valimaki 

Anderson

Hanifin

Taven

Lindholm

Tachuck

Bennett

manhi or Due (not both)

I think theses guys are a good core to start to build around and we should be targeting heavy on 2022 draft for compensation picks for anyone we are lucky enough to unload...our target year to compete again if all goes well would be 2022/2023 season and beyond provided we get the right players in trades and we manage a few of the the higher draft players in 2022, it’s a deep draft which means a better chance of NHL ready picks (no guarantee on anything be usually deep drafts, they make the team)

so our new core would look like this, not accounting for players we get in return nor am I slotting players into a particular line: 

Tachuck/?????/?????

Manji or Dube/ Lindholm/ ?????

?????/Bennett/????

????/?????/?????

Hanifin/Taven

Valimaki/Anderson

?????/?????

Markstrom

????

I know it looks bad all the ??? Slots, but it dose show a huge area of weakness on the Right side.  Part of why I say this is I think we have 2 guys from team Canada that are both LW’s and aught to fill that left side up very nicely.  We also have a young goalie coming up who would benefit from some understanding of Markstrom over the next few years...who know we may actually get to the rotation thing and each play 1/2 the seasons games?  

as for the D, well McKay (I think it is) seems to be doing well and I think we have a few more up and coming young D, and if not, I’m quite sure we could land some better D than we have now to fill the 3rd pairing.

as for up front...it’s a long shot but maybe we could pull both Eichel and Reinhart from Buf with Monahan+gaudreau+something else obviously but it would be worth the try...to lock down 3/4 Ctr slots and the 2nd line RW (I just don’t have the warm and fuzzy that Reinhart is a first line RW but I could be wrong...but for now playing it safe and saying 2nd line...

all this could be done before the FA season, at the TDL which we would look for a top 6RW, 2bottom 6 RW and a bottom 6ctr (maybe less if we have any prospects that fill these areas, but none come to mind....

anyhow, it is doable to tear it down and turn it around in a few short years just need to plan it out...and obviously that’s only if we get a bit lucky and land Eichel and Reinhart (or someone(s))...a bit longer if we need to draft them.

if Cgy dose this then I say a partial blow it up...if not then it’s an everyone must go tire fire sale including the ones I mentioned as keeping.

19 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

while I do agree for the most part, the issue here is there needs to be a major change in the locker room culture so with that in mind I say:

1. BT has gotta go, he did some good things but the past two years he’s not really managed much other than spending big money in FA...all be it this year he seems to have done well, the only question is the term theses guys are here for and I could see those contracts biting us in the butt...let’s not forget Hamer (all be it a trade of sorts, it was still a trade and sign situation so pretty much like FA) and Hammer was pretty good for a few years there but the last few not so much. Tanev and Markstrom could flop over the next few years but for now I’m not holding it against BT but I will hold his wasteful spending on Stone and Rino as well as not being able to land a few big options Hall, PLD, Anderson (the Mlt one) etc...I should think he aught to have been able to land Anderson at the very least...anyways it’s theses guys that I feel he could land mostly because I think they see Cgy as they are, a streaky team, which has been the frustration of us fans for how many years now? It’s time for new GM with new vision as this song and dance is getting old.

2. inherently with the GM, coaching staff needs a complete over haul, something that they never really have done, partly yes but there are still some guy here from the Sutter days...definitely needs to be changed...who knows it could as simple as this but I’m more of a fix the whole thing...do it right the driest time type so it’s time to change out the entire coaching team...added to that, Ward has been questionable at best anyway so he needs to go.

3. core players have got to go...as a matter of fact I think I’ll list the keepers as the list is much shorter...and I’m only talking about our current active roster players not the farm or prospects:

Markstrom

Valimaki 

Anderson

Hanifin

Taven

Lindholm

Tachuck

Bennett

manhi or Due (not both)

I think theses guys are a good core to start to build around and we should be targeting heavy on 2022 draft for compensation picks for anyone we are lucky enough to unload...our target year to compete again if all goes well would be 2022/2023 season and beyond provided we get the right players in trades and we manage a few of the the higher draft players in 2022, it’s a deep draft which means a better chance of NHL ready picks (no guarantee on anything be usually deep drafts, they make the team)

so our new core would look like this, not accounting for players we get in return nor am I slotting players into a particular line: 

Tachuck/?????/?????

Manji or Dube/ Lindholm/ ?????

?????/Bennett/????

????/?????/?????

Hanifin/Taven

Valimaki/Anderson

?????/?????

Markstrom

????

I know it looks bad all the ??? Slots, but it dose show a huge area of weakness on the Right side.  Part of why I say this is I think we have 2 guys from team Canada that are both LW’s and aught to fill that left side up very nicely.  We also have a young goalie coming up who would benefit from some understanding of Markstrom over the next few years...who know we may actually get to the rotation thing and each play 1/2 the seasons games?  

as for the D, well McKay (I think it is) seems to be doing well and I think we have a few more up and coming young D, and if not, I’m quite sure we could land some better D than we have now to fill the 3rd pairing.

as for up front...it’s a long shot but maybe we could pull both Eichel and Reinhart from Buf with Monahan+gaudreau+something else obviously but it would be worth the try...to lock down 3/4 Ctr slots and the 2nd line RW (I just don’t have the warm and fuzzy that Reinhart is a first line RW but I could be wrong...but for now playing it safe and saying 2nd line...

all this could be done before the FA season, at the TDL which we would look for a top 6RW, 2bottom 6 RW and a bottom 6ctr (maybe less if we have any prospects that fill these areas, but none come to mind....

anyhow, it is doable to tear it down and turn it around in a few short years just need to plan it out...and obviously that’s only if we get a bit lucky and land Eichel and Reinhart (or someone(s))...a bit longer if we need to draft them.

if Cgy dose this then I say a partial blow it up...if not then it’s an everyone must go tire fire sale including the ones I mentioned as keeping.

Agree 100% with this but we all know that it will never happen, be lucky if even 5% of this happens.  Personally I would be jumping if we at least clean house with GM and coaching staff, then the new staff should be able to see all the gaping holes this team has. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, taz89 said:

Agree 100% with this but we all know that it will never happen, be lucky if even 5% of this happens.  Personally I would be jumping if we at least clean house with GM and coaching staff, then the new staff should be able to see all the gaping holes this team has. 

the thing is, I think BT can see the gaping holes. He tried to fill them, and he says there will be a change to the core, so I guess he sees them? But we now know those changes were mostly just shuffling the deck and adding a few joker cards to it to try maximize potential (we’ve seen this before) and adding to the shuffle. 

maybe Ward should just take all of the forwards’ hockey cards and shuffle the deck and deal out three for each line and see where they end up? He seems to do that with the spare parts anyway. It is kind of like putting a a tailpipe in front of the muffler instead of the back of it?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

the thing is, I think BT can see the gaping holes. He tried to fill them, and he says there will be a change to the core, so I guess he sees them? But we now know those changes were mostly just shuffling the deck and adding a few joker cards to it to try maximize potential (we’ve seen this before) and adding to the shuffle. 

maybe Ward should just take all of the forwards’ hockey cards and shuffle the deck and deal out three for each line and see where they end up? He seems to do that with the spare parts anyway. It is kind of like putting a a tailpipe in front of the muffler instead of the back of it?

Lol

well said 

31 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

He sees what you or I see, but I don't know he is aware of the holes.

He listens to our pro scouting, for what players out there offer things we could use.

I think he looked at the way the core wasn't getting it done.

People read into it trade Monahan and Gaudreau.

Maybe it's Backlund and Tkachuk and Gio.

What BT did address was goalie and big D.

And depth.

No room for a top 6 RW unless he trads for one.

That means Bennett or Hanifin to load up the top 6.

I think he also felt we didn;t have depth at C, so he converted one and created a hole.

Random thoughts

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He sees what you or I see, but I don't know he is aware of the holes.

He listens to our pro scouting, for what players out there offer things we could use.

I think he looked at the way the core wasn't getting it done.

People read into it trade Monahan and Gaudreau.

Maybe it's Backlund and Tkachuk and Gio.

What BT did address was goalie and big D.

And depth.

No room for a top 6 RW unless he trads for one.

That means Bennett or Hanifin to load up the top 6.

I think he also felt we didn;t have depth at C, so he converted one and created a hole.

Random thoughts

I agree! It could’ve been any number of things. 

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I know they were merely rumours but I believe BT tried to get PLD with Monahan + Hanifin.  I'm sure he called BUF about Eichel during the summer and I'm sure he asked about Laine too.  He tried to get Mark Stone, RHS RW but got outbid by Vegas.  We needed goaltending and he finally paid up for one.

I genuinely believe he knows where the holes are but it takes two to tango.  The other GMs have to want what we are offering.  Making a trade is hard.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I know they were merely rumours but I believe BT tried to get PLD with Monahan + Hanifin.  I'm sure he called BUF about Eichel during the summer and I'm sure he asked about Laine too.  He tried to get Mark Stone, RHS RW but got outbid by Vegas.  We needed goaltending and he finally paid up for one.

I genuinely believe he knows where the holes are but it takes two to tango.  The other GMs have to want what we are offering.  Making a trade is hard.

While I do agree I think one very key player was available that most of us think he didn’t even try for...Toffoil at 4x4.25 was doable, instead we got:

levino

Simon

Nordstrom

Rinaldo

Stone 

Froese

Robinson 

all these guys have been absolutely useless and equal Toffoil’s salary.

it’s stuff like this when we badly needed at top 6 RW, probably more than his work on the D... which honestly wasn’t that bad.

our top 3 lines could have looked like this...and I will add in a minor adjustment to account for my personal take on Bennett and Backlund:

Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm 

Tachuck/Bennett/Toffoil 

Manji/Backlund/Dube

Lucic/Ryan/Godwin 

now because of that one contract we have a mishmash of hole fillers that can’t fill the holes...and quite honestly facing a huge overhaul to the core...

having said that, I’m not so sure if BT may be a mad genius, maybe he knew the core needed to go but did this to help ensure the core fails and then he’s fully justified in moving some core guys out without serious fan backlash? I doubt it but it is kinda possible...he may be setting things up starting with the back end which looks kind good if they move out Nester (who is not that bad as of late but) and Gio 

Markstrom

Rittich

Valimaki/Anderson

Hanifin/Tanev 

Kylington/Makey 

up front we could be looking at a few interesting things...maybe he’s trying to line up an Eichel deal? 

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Agreed. 

Star players never come up in rumors so when you hear as many rumbling as we did with Gaudreau and Monahan i think there is something to that. Those are the types of players teams never trade so the fact they came up to me tells me he knows what he wants to change. 

The problem for me is 2 fold. 1- like you say trades are hard even harder in the current economic climate and 2 - those are trades you just can't take whatever you get for it and move on. You need to get value and when you put names like Gaudreau and Monahan out there it's really hard to get good value unless you are willing to take a short term hit. I'm not sure that is an option in Calgary. 

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

You've mentioned this Monahan + Hanifin for Dubois many times before... Would you seriously be happy with that value? How much better is Dubois?  This trade creates more problems then it fixes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sobieit said:

You've mentioned this Monahan + Hanifin for Dubois many times before... Would you seriously be happy with that value? How much better is Dubois?  This trade creates more problems then it fixes.

For sure Dubois is an upgrade over Monahan trying half as hard.  Monahan isn't even the #1 Center on this team right now.  

I like how Hanifin has progressed with Tanev.  It's clear Hamonic was the problem all these years.  But still, Hanifin can be replaced internally with a combo of Valimaki, Mackey, etc.  

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

While I do agree I think one very key player was available that most of us think he didn’t even try for...Toffoil at 4x4.25 was doable, instead we got:

levino

Simon

Nordstrom

Rinaldo

Stone 

Froese

Robinson 

all these guys have been absolutely useless and equal Toffoil’s salary.

it’s stuff like this when we badly needed at top 6 RW, probably more than his work on the D... which honestly wasn’t that bad.

our top 3 lines could have looked like this...and I will add in a minor adjustment to account for my personal take on Bennett and Backlund:

Gaudreau/Monahan/Lindholm 

Tachuck/Bennett/Toffoil 

Manji/Backlund/Dube

Lucic/Ryan/Godwin 

now because of that one contract we have a mishmash of hole fillers that can’t fill the holes...and quite honestly facing a huge overhaul to the core...

having said that, I’m not so sure if BT may be a mad genius, maybe he knew the core needed to go but did this to help ensure the core fails and then he’s fully justified in moving some core guys out without serious fan backlash? I doubt it but it is kinda possible...he may be setting things up starting with the back end which looks kind good if they move out Nester (who is not that bad as of late but) and Gio 

Markstrom

Rittich

Valimaki/Anderson

Hanifin/Tanev 

Kylington/Makey 

up front we could be looking at a few interesting things...maybe he’s trying to line up an Eichel deal? 

I think it all starts with not drafting enough RHS.  That leads to reliance on trades and UFA to fill holes.  RHS are the most rare commodities.  It's easier to take risks drafting RHS and then filling LW and LD via trades.

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Agreed. 

Star players never come up in rumors so when you hear as many rumbling as we did with Gaudreau and Monahan i think there is something to that. Those are the types of players teams never trade so the fact they came up to me tells me he knows what he wants to change. 

The problem for me is 2 fold. 1- like you say trades are hard even harder in the current economic climate and 2 - those are trades you just can't take whatever you get for it and move on. You need to get value and when you put names like Gaudreau and Monahan out there it's really hard to get good value unless you are willing to take a short term hit. I'm not sure that is an option in Calgary. 

Ya not to defend BT too much but I think he and Conroy get it for the most part.  But executing is very difficult so... Of course we want to get the other teams best player for our scraps.

I’d like to see Johnny and Mony shipped out. They are mentally weak it seems, and Monahan is en route to a repeat of last year.  The forward core is built around them, and our lack of team cohesion stems from that imo. I would look at tanking the next two seasons, so trade those two for bad contracts on other teams and stockpile draft picks and prospects. Retain salary if you have to, just make sure players you acquire don’t have too many years left. I would even consider trading Johnny to Edm for Neal and just burying Neal in exchange for a 2022 first, Philip Broberg, and another asset. Trade Mony to Vancouver for Brandon Sutter, Hoglander, 2022 1st and maybe a 2nd. 

That’s just for starters, but if we are going to be bad, then let’s be bad and try again.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ABC923 said:

I’d like to see Johnny and Mony shipped out. They are mentally weak it seems, and Monahan is en route to a repeat of last year.  The forward core is built around them, and our lack of team cohesion stems from that imo. I would look at tanking the next two seasons, so trade those two for bad contracts on other teams and stockpile draft picks and prospects. Retain salary if you have to, just make sure players you acquire don’t have too many years left. I would even consider trading Johnny to Edm for Neal and just burying Neal in exchange for a 2022 first, Philip Broberg, and another asset. Trade Mony to Vancouver for Brandon Sutter, Hoglander, 2022 1st and maybe a 2nd. 

That’s just for starters, but if we are going to be bad, then let’s be bad and try again.

I wonder if Monahan for Cozens could happen.  If BUF wants to turn their ship around then they need players in their prime today.  Then we enter a mini-rebuild with a prospect that's just starting to emerge.

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think it all starts with not drafting enough RHS.  That leads to reliance on trades and UFA to fill holes.  RHS are the most rare commodities.  It's easier to take risks drafting RHS and then filling LW and LD via trades.

Mmmm interesting point...you may be on to something here 🤔

I realize that this is becoming less and less a popular opinion, but I both like, and trust Brad Treliving. I have been seeing some banter around the boards lately where people are calling for his head, and in my opinion, that'd be a mistake. Most of us aren't great at assessing the value of the assets that we do have, and we are even worse at assessing the value of the assets that other teams have. Being the GM is much more complicated than it was when there were two captains picking their road hockey squads.

It's possible that he offered Hanifin and Monohan for PLD. Maybe that's a great offer - but it doesn't factor into the equation that maybe Columbus was really hot for Laine.

It's possible that his hands were tied when they needed to hire a coach. There have been rumblings for many years that while the Calgary ownership group is willing to spend to the cap, that they are also meddlers. 

He was in on Seguin, he was in on Hall, he's tried to address goaltending for years (MAF, Bishop), his drafts have been pretty good, and for the most part, we've come out better after the trades that he has made. I realize that the Hamonic trade wasn't awesome, but I understand why he made it at the time. I also didn't love that Ryan Fox was a part of the Hamilton/Lindholm deal, but maybe it was a deal breaker for the Hurricanes. Show me a GM that hasn't made a few regrettable trades?

Early returns on Markstrom and Tanev are obvious. This team is really out of sync, and Tanev is consistently our most reliable defenseman, and he's half of our only truly reliable pair. Markstrom is our MVP, and the reason that we aren't currently in a race for the bottom. The team in front of them is playing terribly currently, and while I am not convinced that they are a Stanley Cup team at this point, I do think that they should be much better than they are. Augmenting what was looking like a pretty good team with those two guys was not a mistake.

I trust that if management determines that it is time to blow it up, Brad Treliving will get good value for our players. If you don't think so, I would encourage you to look up the Jarome Iginila and Jay Bouwmeester trades, and reflect on how they are helping us now.

Love.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I realize that this is becoming less and less a popular opinion, but I both like, and trust Brad Treliving. I have been seeing some banter around the boards lately where people are calling for his head, and in my opinion, that'd be a mistake. Most of us aren't great at assessing the value of the assets that we do have, and we are even worse at assessing the value of the assets that other teams have. Being the GM is much more complicated than it was when there were two captains picking their road hockey squads.

It's possible that he offered Hanifin and Monohan for PLD. Maybe that's a great offer - but it doesn't factor into the equation that maybe Columbus was really hot for Laine.

It's possible that his hands were tied when they needed to hire a coach. There have been rumblings for many years that while the Calgary ownership group is willing to spend to the cap, that they are also meddlers. 

He was in on Seguin, he was in on Hall, he's tried to address goaltending for years (MAF, Bishop), his drafts have been pretty good, and for the most part, we've come out better after the trades that he has made. I realize that the Hamonic trade wasn't awesome, but I understand why he made it at the time. I also didn't love that Ryan Fox was a part of the Hamilton/Lindholm deal, but maybe it was a deal breaker for the Hurricanes. Show me a GM that hasn't made a few regrettable trades?

Early returns on Markstrom and Tanev are obvious. This team is really out of sync, and Tanev is consistently our most reliable defenseman, and he's half of our only truly reliable pair. Markstrom is our MVP, and the reason that we aren't currently in a race for the bottom. The team in front of them is playing terribly currently, and while I am not convinced that they are a Stanley Cup team at this point, I do think that they should be much better than they are. Augmenting what was looking like a pretty good team with those two guys was not a mistake.

I trust that if management determines that it is time to blow it up, Brad Treliving will get good value for our players. If you don't think so, I would encourage you to look up the Jarome Iginila and Jay Bouwmeester trades, and reflect on how they are helping us now.

Love.

Thanks for saying this. I am in BT’s camp. I see him as a GM who is finding his footing and has been progressing. He had some atrocious UFA signings early in his career, and while I don’t agree with all his depth FA signings this off season (curbed due to the fact that if our team was hit with injuries or covid, that depth would show up in spades). His UFA signings this year are arguably our beat players right now and he filled two very large voids in our lineup. 
To me that shows progress as a GM, someone who is learning from his mistakes and making better decisions, imagine if our players progressed the same way, we would be ecstatic...or...better yet our coach learned from his mistakes and corrected course. 
PS I cannot comment on the coaching staff as it is not pleasant. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Treliving was let go, GM's have been let go for less. I could even make an argument that this team needs a fresh direction.

That being said I am not sure who is out there that would be better than Treliving. So I would stick with him. 

I think the owners are the ones that need to decide if they are just ok, with first round exits, or not making the playoffs this year.

If they are ok with not making the playoffs this year because there won't be ticket revenues, then we should just pack it in now, and look towards next season and beyond. I am A-OK with Treliving guiding that retool.

It's been frustrating, but when you take a step back, this team probably makes the playoffs. 

The Flames are the only team that haven't seen the Senators yet. To their credit, this Flames team has typically taken care of business against the bottomfeeders in recent seasons. 

While I don't think they are a team built for playoff success, I think they will get in, which is likely enough for ownership. 

I'm a fan of BT and still am. I get the opposite side and I get the argument that he should be let go but it's not my personal opinion that he is a pretty good GM. When I look at the job he does and the direction of the organization I personally think it's really positive. I get this group isn't getting it done right now but I personally don't think you can blame all of it on Treliving and I'm not a fan of letting someone go just because the results arn't what you want. You have to look deeper. 

I get the other side though and many just want change or someone to be held accountable for this. For me it comes down to 3 things:

1 - Why are you firing him?

2 - Who is going to come in?

3 - most importantly. What is that new GM going to do differently?