Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya but second chances and stuff.

The guy is also 67 years old, I would say he did better in the beginning years in Anaheim, but the latter years don't look as good outside of the high picks.  Also for the grief people give Tre over losing Gio to Seattle, this guy gave Shea Theodore to Vegas.  Wasn't a bad GM, but throw away the toxic stuff, I wouldn't be riding with him and feel more comfortable in the future.

25 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya but second chances and stuff.

Well 3rd change sort of.. Would be his 3rd GM job

I think a lot of his success was that he inherited a really good team. A few good picks and trades for sure but not a good enough GM to warrant the culture IMO. 

Plus like Sak said 67. Time to go a new direction if Treliving isn't the guy. 

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Well 3rd change sort of.. Would be his 3rd GM job

I think a lot of his success was that he inherited a really good team. A few good picks and trades for sure but not a good enough GM to warrant the culture IMO. 

Plus like Sak said 67. Time to go a new direction if Treliving isn't the guy. 

Well in case BT is a goner, please do us all a favour cross and send in your resume.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Thanks cross, this is where I was going. Who knew we'd miss Ken King so much as a buffer? Is this the idea?

This thing is getting run into the ground in every way imaginable.

Are we at toxic level with ownership?

You mean an ownership that tried to bully more than it’s fair share out of the City and it’s tax payers for a new arena deal?…then came to an agreement with the city, shook hands and held press conferences, only to back out of the deal at the last second…and proceed to lay blame on the city and the tax payers? An ownership that has just watched its star players shun a future with the organization? This organization reeks of toxic at the moment 

• Like 1

I seriously would not want to be a gm in this league..

We roast BT every time he overpays a UFA, but if we had signed Johnny to the likely $10m Johnny wanted last year we'd have roasted him.. or if he had traded him for a lackluster return .. which it would have been after his history to date ..word was he did listen to offers (he always does) ..and nothing was worth it .. 

If Johnny had stunk out the playoffs again we'd be saying good riddance .. 

Jarmo in Columbus rolled the dice one year knowing full well 4-5 stars were walking and he's hailed as a genius with Ball$$ of steel cuz they upset Tampa in 4 .. we back up the Brink's truck for Johnny and nearly get it done and Brad failed .. 

We roast this tkachuk situation as his fault when in fact we all knew it wouid likely happen one day .. he pulls off what many think is the best trade in flames history .and he still gets buried for including Adam Fox... Who wasnt signing here anyway ..

I really would not want his job..lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

We roast BT every time he overpays a UFA, but if we had signed Johnny to the likely $10m Johnny wanted last year we'd have roasted him.. or if he had traded him for a lackluster return .. which it would have been after his history to date ..word was he did listen to offers (he always does) ..and nothing was worth it .. 

Jarmo in Columbus rolled the dice one year knowing full well 4-5 stars were walking and he's hailed as a genius with Ball$$ of steel cuz they upset Tampa in 4 .. we back up the Brink's truck for Johnny and nearly get it done and Brad failed .. 

We roast this tkachuk situation as his fault when in fact we all knew it wouid likely happen one day .. he pulls off what many think is the best trade in flames history .and he still gets buried for including Adam Fox... Who wasnt signing here anyway ..

I think the initial shock has worn off.  There may be other reason why BT is at fault but I doubt we ever know those.  He is taken to task (rightly so) for bad trades and poor decisions on drafts.  His tenure has success and failures.  I don't think the present situation is on him.  But fans have a right to know that we have a plan, whether rebuild, retool or continue.  Not knowing that is causing a lot of questioning.

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I agree that almost any move the GM makes there will be roasting.   If he invests in the future, there will be violent upheaval.  If he sacrifices the future, people will cheer him in the present and lynch him in the future.

Yeah.  It's true.

But, he did very much make decisions by doing things, and not doing things, that sacrified/gambled with out future.

Nothing happening now is shocking, it was just a matter of time.

IMHO you need both ownership and a GM that sets an expectation for investing in the future.    That makes it public policy and sells it to the fan base.  Sure it may or may not start off as a rebuild, but it's more than a rebuild.  It's about running a successful long term operation.   The messaging has been "win now".  So that's what fans pay for.

IMHO, they misread the fanbase.   There was an appetite for "success now and in the future", if it was sold right, marketed right, and I don't think it would have hurt revenues, even in the short term.

So do we blame the GM, or the owners?

I don't know.    But blaming the GM makes more sense than blaming the players, the coach.   Maybe it is unfair but the truth is most GMs do expect to be fired eventually.  It's not a pensionable retirement type of occupation.

6 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

So, for the time being, can we all agree that you all owe GM Brad Treliving an earnest apology?

Love.

Everyone but me, and that's probably as good as it can ever get lol.

Doesn't change the Gaudreau situation in any way,

Both Huberdeau and Weegar are rentals on the verge of UFA, until BT can prove otherwise.

I'm willing to stand down for now.  I'd actually have been more willing to apologize if he had acquired some of those New Jersey prospects people were discussing in here.   You get 12 years out of them instead of 1 year.

Should he somehow extend contracts on both of them, and that 2025 first rounder turns into a top 10 pick, it might be enough that I'd forgive him for Gaudreau.    Not apologize.

The more likely scenario is that we are in this exact same boat next year with two high-profile UFAs and this time no way to get full value in arbitration, and that 2025 first rounder doesn't do much.   So, can't go as far as apologize.   He still has a number of odds to defy, but willing to see how it plays out.

37 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Both Huberdeau and Weegar are rentals on the verge of UFA, until BT can prove otherwise.

I'm willing to stand down for now.  I'd actually have been more willing to apologize if he had acquired some of those New Jersey prospects people were discussing in here.   You get 12 years out of them instead of 1 year.

Should he somehow extend contracts on both of them, and that 2025 first rounder turns into a top 10 pick, it might be enough that I'd forgive him for Gaudreau.    Not apologize.

The more likely scenario is that we are in this exact same boat next year with two high-profile UFAs and this time no way to get full value in arbitration, and that 2025 first rounder doesn't do much.   So, can't go as far as apologize.   He still has a number of odds to defy, but willing to see how it plays out.

Honestly? This is an unreal return. At worst, we're getting 1sts +, selling them @ tdl.

For Tkachuk? It's mind blowing. Zito's in big trouble methinks. This is a horrible trade for Fla.

I did not see this coming. Our cap space opens up minus Lucic and Mony next year.

After 2 black eyes, this is amazing news.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

You must be hard to please JJ! Considering the scenario and the fact we didn’t really have much leverage with Tkachuk this return is very, very good. We get an elite winger, top 4 D man, by all accounts a good prospect and a 1st. I’m honestly not sure too many GMs could have done better in this situation…a lot of ppl feel Huberdeau alone is fair value return.  Completely get the apprehension regarding extending them but BT did a really good job with the return assets. Curious to know what the other potential offers were!

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

So, we aren't about to go and re-sign the player(s) the minute we traded for them.

Tkachuk had to be re-signed immediately.

Huberdeau was a player they wanted to re-sign, but weren't perhaps ready to pay him a retirement deal.

The kind of deal that Gaudreau just got and we avoided.

So, worst case is we sign Huberdeau to something similar to Gaudreau.

We get a player that is less likely to go whine to the refs or disappear in a tough game.

It doesn't excuse losing Gaudreau for nothing, but the only way he's still a Flame is that we signed Gaudreau last season for 10.5M or came in early with a max offer and perhaps have to up that this year to 11.5.

Saying we automatically get the same Gaudreau if he signed last year is not quite true.

It may have resulted in having to pay Tkachuk 10.5 this year.

Weeger is replacing what we lost in Guddy, with the offensive ability tacked on.

And it's a Guddy that doesn't need to be sheltered at all.

I like Guddy, but he had some faults.

We are at least even if not somewhat better now.

I didn't want the tear down trade.

A player like Bratt might have turned out bad.

Kyrou might have been a better fit, but maybe wasn't even on the table.

Lundell wouldn;t have been a rebuild trade, but they obviously wanted him more than Huberdeau.

Besides, they couldn't afford both Tkachuk and Huberdeau.

Not today, definately not next year.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, we aren't about to go and re-sign the player(s) the minute we traded for them.

Tkachuk had to be re-signed immediately.

Huberdeau was a player they wanted to re-sign, but weren't perhaps ready to pay him a retirement deal.

The kind of deal that Gaudreau just got and we avoided.

So, worst case is we sign Huberdeau to something similar to Gaudreau.

We get a player that is less likely to go whine to the refs or disappear in a tough game.

It doesn't excuse losing Gaudreau for nothing, but the only way he's still a Flame is that we signed Gaudreau last season for 10.5M or came in early with a max offer and perhaps have to up that this year to 11.5.

Saying we automatically get the same Gaudreau if he signed last year is not quite true.

It may have resulted in having to pay Tkachuk 10.5 this year.

Weeger is replacing what we lost in Guddy, with the offensive ability tacked on.

And it's a Guddy that doesn't need to be sheltered at all.

I like Guddy, but he had some faults.

We are at least even if not somewhat better now.

I didn't want the tear down trade.

A player like Bratt might have turned out bad.

Kyrou might have been a better fit, but maybe wasn't even on the table.

Lundell wouldn;t have been a rebuild trade, but they obviously wanted him more than Huberdeau.

Besides, they couldn't afford both Tkachuk and Huberdeau.

Not today, definately not next year.

Sure let's have our day lol.

BT's still got to pull off a miracle though, or this thread's going to be trending like never before next offseason.

2 hours ago, rickross said:

You must be hard to please JJ! Considering the scenario and the fact we didn’t really have much leverage with Tkachuk this return is very, very good. We get an elite winger, top 4 D man, by all accounts a good prospect and a 1st. I’m honestly not sure too many GMs could have done better in this situation…a lot of ppl feel Huberdeau alone is fair value return.  Completely get the apprehension regarding extending them but BT did a really good job with the return assets. Curious to know what the other potential offers were!

Is true, lol.

16 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Sure let's have our day lol.

BT's still got to pull off a miracle though, or this thread's going to be trending like never before next offseason.

What a miracle about re-signing two players.

Perhaps they might actually feel welcomed here.

We rolled out the carpets for Gaudreau and Tkachuk, but they wanted out for their own reasons.

Perhaps they didn't like having to give 100%.

Thachuk's dad bought a summer home in FLA, which is funny.

He actually was sad that Matty was going to FLA.

The pics from NJ were actually related to Brady's engagement.

Maybe Walt was renting a boat for a party.

Or he was buying a boat for FLA.

39 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What a miracle about re-signing two players.

Perhaps they might actually feel welcomed here.

We rolled out the carpets for Gaudreau and Tkachuk, but they wanted out for their own reasons.

Perhaps they didn't like having to give 100%.

Thachuk's dad bought a summer home in FLA, which is funny.

He actually was sad that Matty was going to FLA.

The pics from NJ were actually related to Brady's engagement.

Maybe Walt was renting a boat for a party.

Or he was buying a boat for FLA.

I am really curious how this will age lol.  Genuinely curious.   I just go back to the risk management.

but it would be amazing if they did

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I am really curious how this will age lol.  Genuinely curious.   I just go back to the risk management.

but it would be amazing if they did

I mean it's two players looking for deals.  They would have been offered less money in FLA due to cap.  

If they don't want to be here, find out sooner than later.

Huberdeau on the open market is probably worth more than Tkachuk.

5.9 for this season.

Weeger is "young" by D standards.

His offfense with limited PP time is pretty good.

RHS RD/LD.

But as I said, a trade is not the reason we got them.

At least not on the surface.

17 hours ago, jjgallow said:

You really can't blame BT for Gaudreau and Tkachuk.  If you didn't see this coming then you have been in Calgary for too long.  Tkachuk wants to go somewhere like 3 years ago, and he is not that happy here.  As for Gaudreau, he just doesn't like the pressure from the fans here.  Maybe they made mistake by not naming Captain on this team.  There is no soul in this team right now, no leadership, and no commitment.  Look what Ottawa did for brother Tkachuk, they give him the responsibility.  Anyway, BT did the best he can do for Tkachuk trade.  It' not like what u think every team had good offers since everyone know you have no leverage.  Even we lose Huberdeau and Weegar at end of the season, I still think we get 1st round and 2nd round coming back given their friendly contract.  So that's Tkachuk for 2 1st round + 2nd round + prospect, not bad given so little team and so little time.  As for Gaudreau if he thinks team first, we could end up got something in return.  Thats why I think Tkachuk is pretty decent.  If you have no plan to be here, don't waste time here and trying to help the organization little bit.  As for BT, if he fail to sign Huberdeau by end of the season, he will be gone too.  He won't be doing the rebuild, 8 years is longer enough for him to be GM here.  So if I am him at this point, I go bold.  I make a trade to bring top 6 forward and I go all the way trying to win something this year.  It's do or die situation here, either way he is probably gone.  

3 hours ago, crazyflames said:

You really can't blame BT for Gaudreau and Tkachuk.  If you didn't see this coming then you have been in Calgary for too long.  Tkachuk wants to go somewhere like 3 years ago, and he is not that happy here.  As for Gaudreau, he just doesn't like the pressure from the fans here.  Maybe they made mistake by not naming Captain on this team.  There is no soul in this team right now, no leadership, and no commitment.  Look what Ottawa did for brother Tkachuk, they give him the responsibility.  Anyway, BT did the best he can do for Tkachuk trade.  It' not like what u think every team had good offers since everyone know you have no leverage.  Even we lose Huberdeau and Weegar at end of the season, I still think we get 1st round and 2nd round coming back given their friendly contract.  So that's Tkachuk for 2 1st round + 2nd round + prospect, not bad given so little team and so little time.  As for Gaudreau if he thinks team first, we could end up got something in return.  Thats why I think Tkachuk is pretty decent.  If you have no plan to be here, don't waste time here and trying to help the organization little bit.  As for BT, if he fail to sign Huberdeau by end of the season, he will be gone too.  He won't be doing the rebuild, 8 years is longer enough for him to be GM here.  So if I am him at this point, I go bold.  I make a trade to bring top 6 forward and I go all the way trying to win something this year.  It's do or die situation here, either way he is probably gone.  

I have been extra crtical on BT but will have to give him a A+ for this one, whether they sign or not. You have to give kudo's to Chucky ,The club and player did the professional thing. Now would it be great that both players sign yes, there is an outside chance they don't. Based on the interviews he took the best option in front of him. If either sign, than its a win, if niether chose to sign, they are traded at deadline both will bring back 1st +++ thats a win ( bring on the burn it to the ground  crowd) however if they walk for free,  which based on whats happened.

We spoke of new culture and being a better place, this current episode has. Players can now not be afraid to approach the GM with there wishes and it can be handled in a professional manner, to appease both sides. Hubredeau was a Panther for awhile and never seen this coming, that's how you create bad cultures.