Brad Treliving - GM Tracking & Evaluation

Flame111

Just wanted to say BT pulled a rabbit out of a hat for all of us with the Chucky trade. Yes, Gaudreau walked for nothing, but IMO the return we got from FLA - nay, the fleecing of FLA, was outstanding. BT GM’d the F out of Bill Zito, and he got a premiere player to sign here long term (in a market that struggles to attract premiere players). McDavid makes Edmonton an attractive destination for players  to come to. BT’s magic is doing the same for Calgary. He’s not done yet!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

Just wanted to say BT pulled a rabbit out of a hat for all of us with the Chucky trade. Yes, Gaudreau walked for nothing, but IMO the return we got from FLA - nay, the fleecing of FLA, was outstanding. BT GM’d the F out of Bill Zito, and he got a premiere player to sign here long term (in a market that struggles to attract premiere players). McDavid makes Edmonton an attractive destination for players  to come to. BT’s magic is doing the same for Calgary. He’s not done yet!

Trades aside, you almost think some guys like Rodriguez are drooling.

Played in key roles, possibly gets a chance with a playmaker on a PP.

Or forms the basis of a 2nd scoring line with Toffoli or Mange.

Milano is fine if you want some depth at wing.

BT is not done.

Re-signing Weegs is not part of the FA signings or potential trades.

He knows the stuation we have on D.

He knows we lack a 2C.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Trades aside, you almost think some guys like Rodriguez are drooling.

Played in key roles, possibly gets a chance with a playmaker on a PP.

Or forms the basis of a 2nd scoring line with Toffoli or Mange.

Milano is fine if you want some depth at wing.

BT is not done.

Re-signing Weegs is not part of the FA signings or potential trades.

He knows the stuation we have on D.

He knows we lack a 2C.

he better start moving on the rest of the lineup. I feel like we saw this a bit before. Although, we did add Gudbranson later last summer. But I worry if he waits too long on the trades it might be too late and the season starts. He might just end up wanting roster as is.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

he better start moving on the rest of the lineup. I feel like we saw this a bit before. Although, we did add Gudbranson later last summer. But I worry if he waits too long on the trades it might be too late and the season starts. He might just end up wanting roster as is.

He takes his time and sometimes trades don't ever work out.  That's not his fault as such.  I would prefer he move on FA's if the price is right.  Targeted ones.  But that also depends on what he's cooking on the burner.  Don't want to go the wrong way with FA's.

It's funny though.  We rarely get a guy for one year that is tradeable.  They are either too important (Guddy) or worth little (Rieder).  You can be a buyer and seller at the same time.  Assets.

21 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I feel he's settling into vulture mode..  he's got a roster locked up with no cap concerns .. teams like Edmonton are talking having to play with a reduced roster.. islanders if they really are in on Kadri have to move somebody. ..etc . BT has the leverage .. key To using it is being patient 

• Like 2

To add on our roster we have to reduce. Is our D set? What does the pairings look like. I don't like a top line of Hubie Lindholm Toffoli. Toffoli to me is not top 6 material. We need a guy to attack on the top line or a possesion guy that is whats missing now.  I like Rodriguies put he is more of an speed, PP and great shot threat. Need a puck possesion player, who do we target. We don't have a puck posseson driver right now. Hubie is a great add and Weegar will move the puck on D better but with out a possesion driving top 6 forward I think we will be ineffective. I am fine with keeping Mony as I could see him bounce back, with the right players, as I don't think we get a 2C. I think most of us recognize we are 2 players away from being really really good this year. 

42 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I feel he's settling into vulture mode..  he's got a roster locked up with no cap concerns .. teams like Edmonton are talking having to play with a reduced roster.. islanders if they really are in on Kadri have to move somebody. ..etc . BT has the leverage .. key To using it is being patient 

Exactly, the Flames still have flexibility.

I'm not sure what the asks are for Stastny/Rodrigues/Milano/Kessel. But the Flames can sign a 2.5-3m free agent without off-loading salary. 

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Trade Lucic to Boston and retain half the cap space. 

that half cap available can be added to gain a 3M player and then the extra 900K+ to take his spot. Does that make sense?

The Flames can add 2-3 already without making any major moves. Waive or trade Valimaki and run with a 22 player roster. 13 F 7 D. 

I think you keep your powder dry if you're BT. Save the assets it would cost to offload Monahan/Lucic for the TDL. I look at Boston and see a team that's very injured and may not be a playoff team. Pastrnak is a pending UFA, he's someone that would be worth taking a run at with the assets you saved by holding on to Lucic/Monahan. 

14 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Flames can add 2-3 already without making any major moves. Waive or trade Valimaki and run with a 22 player roster. 13 F 7 D. 

I think you keep your powder dry if you're BT. Save the assets it would cost to offload Monahan/Lucic for the TDL. I look at Boston and see a team that's very injured and may not be a playoff team. Pastrnak is a pending UFA, he's someone that would be worth taking a run at with the assets you saved by holding on to Lucic/Monahan. 

Moving Lucic is not anything other than a minor cap dump.  Less than $3m if they do 50%.  Actual salary a million.  I don't think it would cost anything other than retained cap to move him there, but we likely get back something that doesn't fit anyway.  Hardly worth the effort.  But it does open the roster up a bit and possibly give Monahan a better player to play with.

Trades are probably the way we can impact the most.  Yes, a Rodriguez or Milano gives us a cheap filler that could really do something, but the D is where the value is in trades.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Moving Lucic is not anything other than a minor cap dump.  Less than $3m if they do 50%.  Actual salary a million.  I don't think it would cost anything other than retained cap to move him there, but we likely get back something that doesn't fit anyway.  Hardly worth the effort.  But it does open the roster up a bit and possibly give Monahan a better player to play with.

Trades are probably the way we can impact the most.  Yes, a Rodriguez or Milano gives us a cheap filler that could really do something, but the D is where the value is in trades.  

im wondering, 

lucic retained at 50% is about $2.625M in cap saved. Some show the Flames will have about 2.35 in Cap space on the team. The player to replace Lucic is about up to $1M on the 4th line. 

Lucic plus the left over cap would be about $5M minus a million to his replacement.  

seems like nearly $4M to use on some other player(s). 

if Boston does want him back, maybe it won't cost too much?

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

im wondering, 

lucic retained at 50% is about $2.625M in cap saved. Some show the Flames will have about 2.35 in Cap space on the team. The player to replace Lucic is about up to $1M on the 4th line. 

Lucic plus the left over cap would be about $5M minus a million to his replacement.  

Hanifin is also born in Boston.

Just sayin.

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It was definitely the best outcome from a horrible situation. Our 2 stars left us holding the bag.

Definitely happy that both are gone and we've changed the dynamic and storyline.

We were in total disaster territory.

Yessir. BT deserves a ton of credit here. We talk and debate about him as a GM and of course there’s no GM out there that will do everything that everyone agrees with, but I consider us very fortunate to have him. There are a lot of dud GMs out there, and even ones who were/are considered to be amazing ones make questionable trades (ie. Bill Zito 😏). 

25 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It was definitely the best outcome from a horrible situation. Our 2 stars left us holding the bag.

Definitely happy that both are gone and we've changed the dynamic and storyline.

We were in total disaster territory.

He was gifted the sympathy and greenlight from fans to go full rebuild.  Instead, he chose violence.  

On 8/7/2022 at 6:26 PM, robrob74 said:

Im wondering, Lucic retained at 50% is about $2.625M in cap saved. Some show the Flames will have about 2.35 in Cap space on the team. The player to replace Lucic is about up to $1M on the 4th line. Lucic plus the left over cap would be about $5M minus a million to his replacement.  

On 8/7/2022 at 10:37 PM, The_People1 said:

Hanifin is also born in Boston.

Just sayin.

This trade would leave us with over $2M in cap space even though we retain $1M on Lucic. We also get an LD in return along with Hall. Thoughts? 

Trades
Edit

CGY

1. Hall, Taylor
  2. Grzelcyk, Matt

BOS

1. Lucic, Milan ($1,000,000 retained)
  2. Hanifin, Noah

Retained Salary Transactions
  • Milan Lucic: $1,000,000 (19.05%)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

He was gifted the sympathy and greenlight from fans to go full rebuild.  Instead, he chose violence.  

What marching orders he gets from the fans isn't relevant, only matters what his bosses actually greenlight him to do.