s4xon

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

NHL

Markstrom: 16-10-5; 2.15gaa; .924sv% 7SO

Vladar: 5-3-1; 2.73gaa; .910sv%; 2SO (no change)

AHL

Wolf: 18-2-3; 2.06gaa; .932sv% 0SO

Werner: 6-4-1-1; 2.91gaa; .892sv% 0SO

USHL

Sergeev: 22-3-0; 1.55gaa; .936sv%; 5SO

Sparkling numbers from the Lupo.

Hopefully it translates to the show.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 1:25 PM, cross16 said:

A timely tweet today. Chechelev's stats won't wow you in the ECHL but I also find stats from that league are really hard to project as it isn't a very good league. 

I should add him to the list, had him in for a bit, but stopped for no apparent reason. I don't track the older guys, but he's young. I'm sure he's in the E solely to get playing time.

50 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I should add him to the list, had him in for a bit, but stopped for no apparent reason. I don't track the older guys, but he's young. I'm sure he's in the E solely to get playing time.

It's either him or Werner in the ECHL.  He needs starts, so better to get more now, even if at a lower level.  Not exactly defense first league, so lots of pucks.

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

NHL

Markstrom: 21-10-5; 2.12gaa; .927sv% 8SO (NHL 1st Star of the Week)

Vladar: 7-3-1; 2.57gaa; .911sv%; 2SO

AHL

Wolf: 20-3-3; 2.22gaa; .928sv% 0SO

Werner: 7-4-1-1; 2.84gaa; .894sv% 0SO

ECHL

Daniil Chechelev 10-9-2; 3.52gaa; .896sv% 1SO

USHL

Sergeev: 23-4-1; 1.72ga; .929sv%; 6SO

The goaltending critics have been speechless lately. I guess they are waiting for the cloudy days to come out.

Nice looking depth top to bottom.

More importantly is the top dog, Markstrom, top 4 in every category including SV%, GAA and SO.

BT seldom gets credit on here about anything but him targeting Markstrom last season was bang on.

Vlader 7-3-1 is doing an excellent job as well when called upon. He is doing everything you want for a backup.

Shame Parson fell off the map, he looked to have a bright future when drafted. Maybe he fights back from injury and works his way up the ladder.

1 minute ago, CheersMan said:

The goaltending critics have been speechless lately. I guess they are waiting for the cloudy days to come out.

More importantly is the top dog, Markstrom, top 4 in every category including SV%, GAA and SO.

BT seldom gets credit on here about anything but him targeting Markstrom last season was bang on.

Vlader 7-3-1 is doing an excellent job as well when called upon. He is doing everything you want for a backup.

Shame Parson fell off the map, he looked to have a bright future when drafted. Maybe he fights back from injury and works his way up the ladder.

I loved the adds of Vladar and Werner in the offseason because our depth was in the toilet after Wolf. Now having Chechelev and Sergeev in NA our depth is looking great.

Parsons was extended and hasn't turned a wheel all year. Could it be vaccination-related?

No point in extending him again regardless.

Vladar appears to be well worth the 2021 3rd round draft pick that the Flames sent to Boston.

Calgary has paid far more for other/older goalies with worse stats.

No idea at all what's going on with Parsons, but he never seemed to fully recover from his injuries. He looks worse now than he did in his final two seasons with the OHL London Knights. I know that level of competition may be a big part of it, but still.....

I think that Werner and Chechelev are AHL/ECHL backups/place holders for Wolf and Sergeev who I feel will both become NHL goalies someday.

From this article:

https://torontosun.com/sports/traikos-nhls-unvaccinated-in-spotlight-as-league-aims-for-covid-free-season

I'm guessing he made his stance.

"Detroit Red Wings forward Tyler Bertuzzi isn’t vaccinated yet. Neither is Calgary Flames goalie Tyler Parsons".

In which case we had to pay him this year but he's dead to us. He's RFA and won't be qualified.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

From this article:

https://torontosun.com/sports/traikos-nhls-unvaccinated-in-spotlight-as-league-aims-for-covid-free-season

I'm guessing he made his stance.

"Detroit Red Wings forward Tyler Bertuzzi isn’t vaccinated yet. Neither is Calgary Flames goalie Tyler Parsons".

In which case we had to pay him this year but he's dead to us. He's RFA and won't be qualified.

I think Parsons needs a fresh start. I don't think they would have qualified him last year if it weren't for the expansion draft. 

Best for both sides to move on I think. Just hasn't worked here, for many reasons very little of which is anyone's fault, but hopefully Parsons can get another shot elsewhere. 

18 hours ago, CheersMan said:

i think it’s more all of the resources used up trying to find someone yet not using them on anything worthwhile. Up until Markstrom he’s had a hard time and had horrible trades trying. 

lately the (pro) scouts have done well. It looks like they might have found some good draft picks too. But the organization hasn’t been stellar in the net department until basically last year. I guess Wolf would be the first chip in the right direction.

i always thought it didn’t matter what goalie we had if the team didn’t fix the D problems. Sutter seems to have ironed things out with the D systems. We didn’t make the playoffs with a Markstrom last year. Elliott’s numbers nearly doubled in Calgary due to the change in D from the Blues to the Flames. 

its been bad, and while Markstrom was ok last year, he ended the year poorly. He showed signs of good. But I think this year is a huge credit to the system Sutter plays and the buy in expectations to that system. And Markstrom is doing his part to benefit from it.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

i think it’s more all of the resources used up trying to find someone yet not using them on anything worthwhile. Up until Markstrom he’s had a hard time and had horrible trades trying. 

lately the (pro) scouts have done well. It looks like they might have found some good draft picks too. But the organization hasn’t been stellar in the net department until basically last year. I guess Wolf would be the first chip in the right direction.

i always thought it didn’t matter what goalie we had if the team didn’t fix the D problems. Sutter seems to have ironed things out with the D systems. We didn’t make the playoffs with a Markstrom last year. Elliott’s numbers nearly doubled in Calgary due to the change in D from the Blues to the Flames. 

its been bad, and while Markstrom was ok last year, he ended the year poorly. He showed signs of good. But I think this year is a huge credit to the system Sutter plays and the buy in expectations to that system. And Markstrom is doing his part to benefit from it.

Markstrom had an amazing start last season if I remember right, he single handedly won us games and was first star most nights. Then the VAN game, the old gang was in town, he tried doing too much and dove straight into a concussion, there went his season and the Flames season. 

You can criticize BT’s efforts in trying to acquire a #1 prior to Markstrom but you have to admit he tried. No sense living in the past when the future is looking you square in the face.

If it were not for Markstrom’s injury last season, Flames likely don’t falter as much, life goes on with average coaching and Sutter is never given the opportunity to come here. Different universe altogether.

12 hours ago, CheersMan said:

If it were not for Markstrom’s injury last season, Flames likely don’t falter as much, life goes on with average coaching and Sutter is never given the opportunity to come here. Different universe altogether.

A multiverse of madness perhaps? Thank goodness for that branch in the timeline. 

Benedict Cumberbatch Avengers GIF by Marvel Studios
Timeline Branching GIF by RenderPlayz

20 hours ago, CheersMan said:

Markstrom had an amazing start last season if I remember right, he single handedly won us games and was first star most nights. Then the VAN game, the old gang was in town, he tried doing too much and dove straight into a concussion, there went his season and the Flames season. 

You can criticize BT’s efforts in trying to acquire a #1 prior to Markstrom but you have to admit he tried. No sense living in the past when the future is looking you square in the face.

im just saying you’re making it sound like we are here having no right to criticize and I’m just saying, up until this year (yes Markstrom started well but finished poorly) we have had every right to criticize BT. We’re they valiant efforts to find a goalie? It’s what we debate and my opinion was no, I didn’t believe in the goalies he tried to get until finally, Markstrom got signed. I liked the signing when it happened and still do, others might not have. 

but we can all agreed the goaltending in the organization looks a hell of a lot better today.

50 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

im just saying you’re making it sound like we are here having no right to criticize and I’m just saying, up until this year (yes Markstrom started well but finished poorly) we have had every right to criticize BT. We’re they valiant efforts to find a goalie? It’s what we debate and my opinion was no, I didn’t believe in the goalies he tried to get until finally, Markstrom got signed. I liked the signing when it happened and still do, others might not have. 

but we can all agreed the goaltending in the organization looks a hell of a lot better today.

We can criticize every move, but every target had good moments and bad.  It's really hard to find goalies that don't have those.  Find a goalie from 2010-2020 who was consistent in either health and performance, its probably a short list.  Look no further than recent cup winning goalies besides Vas.  Binnington - becoming a 6M backup, Holtby - 3rd team in 3 years, Murray - better as of late but on another team than which he won and has struggled plenty since his cups.  I don't really know what the options were, Ben Bishop was the only other one that I heard was close and he IMO was always a product of his defence and obviously was a dodged bullet due to his health.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Wish we would see more Vladar. I liked the early rotation and now I think the Flames are playing Markstrom too much. Not a high level of concern for me personally I just wish they would give him more games.  

I do think there have been games of late where Markstrom has shown signs of fatigue. I would like to see him get a bit more rest down the stretch. We do have 3 more back to backs, so I am assuming Vladar will get at least 3 games out of the last 13.

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Wish we would see more Vladar. I liked the early rotation and now I think the Flames are playing Markstrom too much. Not a high level of concern for me personally I just wish they would give him more games.  

I'm hoping once we clinch the playoffs and have 3 or 4 meaningless games, then Vladar plays them.

13 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I do think there have been games of late where Markstrom has shown signs of fatigue. I would like to see him get a bit more rest down the stretch. We do have 3 more back to backs, so I am assuming Vladar will get at least 3 games out of the last 13.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm hoping once we clinch the playoffs and have 3 or 4 meaningless games, then Vladar plays them.

Yes, some fatigue seems to be setting in, but I think he needs a reset.

Rest for a couple in a row, but needs to play in the B2B's.

The age old decisions about when to rest the guy you need for the playoffs.  Want him sharp.  Want him rested.  The thing we really need to be careful about is other teams running the goalie.  He gets bent out of shape about it, but I'm more worried that somebody will land on him.  Teams like Dallas and Minny.  Spoilers like SJS and WPG.

I will also say that Vladar needs to steal a game.  Right now Sutter doesn't trust him to get a win.  He threw Vladar to the wolves and didn't like the response.  The SJS is the likely of the two games for him to start, but you never know.  Personally, I think that Vladar makes about the same number of awesome saves as Marky.  They are just different parts of the game.  Marky lets in 5 and makes a big stop that ultimately seals the victory.  Vladar lets in two in a loss.  Maybe those two are just about perfect shots, but it's about when they go in.

I don't agree with the view completely.  You should have two guys you can go to and give the reins to the next guy if things go south.  Vladar has looked bad in a few games, but the number played makes them stand out more.  One was eerily similar to the playoff game against Dallas where Rittich came in cold after Talbot blew up.  Can't really pin the TBL and CAR losses on him.  He was the last one to get sick and got the starts after Marky lost in TB and was maybe a little off.

As much as people say you need two goalies to win a cup, that is only true if you go to the 2nd goalie.  Good teams know when they need that 2nd guy to come in.  

46 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'm just not a fan of this model. Play him now so that you can better balance resting Markstrom while also keeping him sharp. I don't like the feast or famine approach to this. 

It's not a huge deal as I don't think the scheduled has been particularly harsh lately there has just been a couple games where I was surprised Vladar didn't get the start. I think he's earned a longer leash then he has gotten. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm just not a fan of this model. Play him now so that you can better balance resting Markstrom while also keeping him sharp. I don't like the feast or famine approach to this. 

It's not a huge deal as I don't think the scheduled has been particularly harsh lately there has just been a couple games where I was surprised Vladar didn't get the start. I think he's earned a longer leash then he has gotten. 

I agree with this. I would very much have liked to have seen him recently, and was surprised that he wasn't in. I think that he's actually an excellent goalie, and playing him doesn't hurt us. I have been very wrong about these things before, but I do think that he has the potential to be a very good starter in the NHL - sort of like Cam Talbot under King Henrik.

Love.