2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

I'm a bit bias for these guys because I know a few of their scouts from different rinks.

First thing that you'll notice is that they don't follow party lines. They're a good group of guys though and do a fair amount of midget scouting also. So a lot of players aren't new to them.

https://smahtscouting.com/2024/04/07/spring-2024-nhl-draft-rankings-1/

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I'm a bit bias for these guys because I know a few of their scouts from different rinks.

First thing that you'll notice is that they don't follow party lines. They're a good group of guys though and do a fair amount of midget scouting also. So a lot of players aren't new to them.

Thanks for the link.  Some interesting rankings, putting Tij right at the Flames pick, #9.  So much for exceptional D(first D=Buium #5), and Silayev at what, 16th(others have him #2), Helenius at 17th and Yakemchuk at 20th?  Okay, the draft is going to be a mad scramble after Celebrini... Top 5 seems pretty good, then Greentree at 6th, hmmmm... I don't think I've read anywhere else that has him in the top12.  Also, no Letourneau in the top 70.  Guess they don't like late bloomers?  Their love affair with Demidov I can understand, looking at films of his puck handling... but will that be happening on NA's smaller rinks, and more physicality in the NHL?  Huge risk....

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Thank you for this,

To my shock, I am extremely aligned with the vast majority of this list.    Although I'm  not gonna put my own list on here until much later.    They put a value to skill, they didn't see as much elite D as others, they have Tij pegged where I have him pegged (at this moment).   They consider Europeans/Russians.  But their criteria is more evolved than "plays in pro league cause big".

damn.

The only initial thing that jumped out at me as odd, was Yakemchuck at #20.  I thought that was a bit more of a bump-down than I expected, and the review was all "rising fast", without any reasoning for why he'd be that low.

but yeah.  I like it.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Great write up and read

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

So Iginla at #9 it is then.

3 hours ago, cberg said:

Thanks for the link.  Some interesting rankings, putting Tij right at the Flames pick, #9.  So much for exceptional D(first D=Buium #5), and Silayev at what, 16th(others have him #2), Helenius at 17th and Yakemchuk at 20th?  Okay, the draft is going to be a mad scramble after Celebrini... Top 5 seems pretty good, then Greentree at 6th, hmmmm... I don't think I've read anywhere else that has him in the top12.  Also, no Letourneau in the top 70.  Guess they don't like late bloomers?  Their love affair with Demidov I can understand, looking at films of his puck handling... but will that be happening on NA's smaller rinks, and more physicality in the NHL?  Huge risk....

Keep in mind, these are just the player rankings.  It doesn't take into consideration team needs... Like, I'm sure one of OTT or UTAH is going to pick Parekh.  They want/need RHS RD.  Levshunov, no way falls past those two teams.  ANA probably takes Levshunov at #3 due to team needs.

SEA and CGY should both take a D due to team needs as well.

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Keep in mind, these are just the player rankings.  It doesn't take into consideration team needs... Like, I'm sure one of OTT or UTAH is going to pick Parekh.  They want/need RHS RD.  Levshunov, no way falls past those two teams.  ANA probably takes Levshunov at #3 due to team needs.

SEA and CGY should both take a D due to team needs as well.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

The only initial thing that jumped out at me as odd, was Yakemchuck at #20.  I thought that was a bit more of a bump-down than I expected, and the review was all "rising fast", without any reasoning for why he'd be that low.

You'll notice the reports are all from this year, but not necessarily current. I think they mainly re-did their list and kept reports attached from earlier. Plus, these reports are general summaries, or snippets. They scout for various hockey associations as a business. Like every other org, they aren't NHL scouts. Young guys aiming to be, no doubt. They're a fairly visible group in the scouting world, though. I typically say my hellos at midget tourneys, USNDTP games or occasional Sting games.

I believe what they're saying is the fwds are a decent group, so they needed to bump some dmen down.

Greentree at 6 might be close. He's the one player that I feel whose team has really dragged him down.

Windsor was a god awful team. Hate to imagine his numbers if they had a couple of good forwards to at least alleviate him having to do everything. The write-up is pretty accurate, but he was forced to have to do everything, pretty much alone.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

giphy.gif

Oh you so made my girl laugh when I said, "hey look, it's you"!

I've now sent it to her so she can share it with her friends and they're calling me an idiot. lol

Of course now, it'll be her favourite line and I'm good with that. lol

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

You'll notice the reports are all from this year, but not necessarily current. I think they mainly re-did their list and kept reports attached from earlier. Plus, these reports are general summaries, or snippets. They scout for various hockey associations as a business. Like every other org, they aren't NHL scouts. Young guys aiming to be, no doubt. They're a fairly visible group in the scouting world, though. I typically say my hellos at midget tourneys, USNDTP games or occasional Sting games.

I believe what they're saying is the fwds are a decent group, so they needed to bump some dmen down.

Greentree at 6 might be close. He's the one player that I feel whose team has really dragged him down.

Windsor was a god awful team. Hate to imagine his numbers if they had a couple of good forwards to at least alleviate him having to do everything. The write-up is pretty accurate, but he was forced to have to do everything, pretty much alone.

Kind of reminds me of Monahan in his draft year.  Bad team, shot and can score but not at all dynamic... Think Flames need to shoot higher.  From the report, if he does really well he might be able to become an average NHL skater.  Yikes.  

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Silayev... I wonder how his numbers would've looked if he wasn't 17 playing in the KHL.  What if he was in the WHL instead playing against his own age group?

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I noticed in the MENU, they usually have a winter ranking and then a Final ranking.  This is only the Spring ranking so we can probably expect one more update before the draft?

3 hours ago, cberg said:

Kind of reminds me of Monahan in his draft year.  Bad team, shot and can score but not at all dynamic... Think Flames need to shoot higher.  From the report, if he does really well he might be able to become an average NHL skater.  Yikes.  

I felt the same about the skating comment.

Mobility is so important in today's NHL I think it is of utmost importance to get someone who is at least a "good" skater already.

Hard pass.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Silayev... I wonder how his numbers would've looked if he wasn't 17 playing in the KHL.  What if he was in the WHL instead playing against his own age group?

Apparently he scored the most points by a 17year old D in the KHL, ever.  Low numbers not telling the whole story?

37 minutes ago, cberg said:

Apparently he scored the most points by a 17year old D in the KHL, ever.  Low numbers not telling the whole story?

Just the fact he played the year in the K as a 17 year old is impressive on its own.

Thats a men's league 

2 hours ago, cberg said:

Silayev,

63 GP 

3 G

8 A

11 PTS

In comparison, Parekh scored,

66 GP

33 G

63 A

96 PTS

Could Silayev have scored 30 G and like 70 PTS in the OHL?  And as a result, eliminate all talk about his lack of offense?  Are the KHL stats holding Silayev back?

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Silayev,

63 GP 

3 G

8 A

11 PTS

In comparison, Parekh scored,

66 GP

33 G

63 A

96 PTS

Could Silayev have scored 30 G and like 70 PTS in the OHL?  And as a result, eliminate all talk about his lack of offense?  Are the KHL stats holding Silayev back?

Just another challenge the scouts will have to overcome 

8 hours ago, cberg said:

I think you're over-amplifying it.

He is one of the more intelligent prospects coming out of the OHL this year and has proven to be the best draft year forward in the league. He uses the threat of his shot in combination with his hands to play make for his teammates. While he may not be the most technically gifted skater, he is still pacey and is able to create separation with cut-back and has a quick first step.

He's not the same as Monahan. The OHL is also the top CHL league, so the habit can be underrating OHL forwards when considering guys like Johnson, Evangelista, Cuylie, Robertson, Thomas, Kyrou draft positions.

Both Greentree and Misa have appeared underrated to me on most lists.

I think maybe if you really wanted Catton's play-style, but he's taken, Misa would be the next guy on that plane.

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think you're over-amplifying it.

He's not the same as Monahan. The OHL is also the top CHL league, so the habit can be underrating OHL forwards when considering guys like Johnson, Evangelista, Cuylie, Robertson, Thomas, Kyrou draft positions.

Both Greentree and Misa have appeared underrated to me on most lists.

I think maybe if you really wanted Catton's play-style, but he's taken, Misa would be the next guy on that plane.

Don’t know either of them, take your word for it.  The more I search, and comments it seems there are many good talents well beyond the top of the first round.  Maybe warts, but that’s what the next couple of years are for.  Huge potential for the Flames to utilize the extra picks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cberg said:

Don’t know either of them, take your word for it.  The more I search, and comments it seems there are many good talents well beyond the top of the first round.  Maybe warts, but that’s what the next couple of years are for.  Huge potential for the Flames to utilize the extra picks.

Exactly! The fun REALLY starts after our first pick. Can't wait to see what we walk away with.

Tij popped a shorty and a PP marker today. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it. lol Canada looks good, outside of taking a world of penalties. Greentree's on the 3rd line, showing off his great D play. Calm as all get out.

Looks like Canada will take the division after dispatching Sweden and the Chechs.

2 blowout games left - Sunday and Monday, then into the playoffs. Lots of good players on most teams.

Question for all you draft  experts:  How many players in this draft have a realistic/possible ceiling of a/ Top Line, b/ Top Pair D, c/Starting Goalie?  Who are they?  How many in the 1st Round?

22 minutes ago, cberg said:

Question for all you draft  experts:  How many players in this draft have a realistic/possible ceiling of a/ Top Line, b/ Top Pair D, c/Starting Goalie?  Who are they?  How many in the 1st Round?

tough call. How many times has any one here actually watched any of the prospects? How many times live in person? 

as 18 year olds they can be ahead right now but then drop off the face if the earth once they go pro. 

To me, and this is going off of radio announcers, conversations here, this draft is D heavy. After some top forwards there might be a handful of top/middle sixers? My bet it is closer to the Poirier and Klimchuk draft. Either way in many deep drafts teams still miss on players and draft guys who don't make it.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

tough call. How many times has any one here actually watched any of the prospects? How many times live in person? 

as 18 year olds they can be ahead right now but then drop off the face if the earth once they go pro. 

To me, and this is going off of radio announcers, conversations here, this draft is D heavy. After some top forwards there might be a handful of top/middle sixers? My bet it is closer to the Poirier and Klimchuk draft. Either way in many deep drafts teams still miss on players and draft guys who don't make it.

TSN is covering the U18's right now, early, early morn for you Western folks. A LOT of high level prospects playing.

I'm currently watching the US vs Norway. 5-1 in the 2nd. Eiserman with 2, will likely start the tourney with B2B hatties. But they have a world of prospects. Stiga, Humphreys, Bednark, Connolly, Hagens, Hutson, Emery, on and on.

edit:

1? What? 5-0. lol

• Like 1