2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Are you suggesting it's rigged?

Would make for great business if Utah got the #1 overall pick for their very first NHL season. Right??

Nope. Just that they make it a tacky little gambling production. Create fervour that an 18yo will change your franchise forever, give the media a vast opportunity to over-emphasize until the cows come home, etc.

Why do they change rules and odds every 2 years?

My guess is that there isn’t a proper algorithm. So why have it at all if the answer is, “well, it’s the best we could come up with”?

Really, they’ve taken a method with fleeting problems and added new ones.

Just like the playoff setup not being based on conference standings. The regular season point system.

Stop overthinking things NHL.

They create problems where there really weren’t many, or turned them into more problems.

On 5/3/2024 at 10:22 PM, The_People1 said:

I agree Yakemchuk is not elite at skating but i just feel his style of play doesn't require level 10 elite skating.  Something like 7 is good enough.  Right now he's a 5 and still needs work.  I think the gap to get from 5 to 7 is not as difficult than going from 7 to 9... I think Yakemchuk can get to NHL-levels. 

In terms of agility, again, his style of player isn't ever going to be agile.  6'-3" 220 lbs... grit, intimidation, clear front of net, etc.  That's like asking Johnny Gaudreau to be physical.  It's not what he needs to play his game.

Agreed it's not part of his game but that's the thing but unfortunately agility is one of those things you can't really afford to be bad at in the NHL if you want to be a top end dman. 

comes down to his ceiling IMO and I don't agree his ceiling is that high. I think having issues with 1 on 1 defending lowers your ceiling. 

McKenzie's Updated rankings. Wroth pointing out his are rankings based on polling of a selections of scouts and are an attempt to get a consensus of what league is thinking. 

I say because as he notes in his article he's never seen such a lack of consensus as he is this year. I like his conclusion though, I don't think it speaks to quality of prospects but more so the talent different is less so it's going to come down to what do the clubs want and what do they value. 

Iginla still not ranked above the Flames pick at 9. 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/bob-mckenzie-s-nhl-draft-ranking-an-unpredictable-ride-after-macklin-celebrini-1.2116004

The lack of clear consensus beyond Celebrini — from No. 2 through to No. 10 and beyond — would be unprecedented. I’ve been doing draft rankings like this one for more than 35 years, and I don’t recall a year where the Top 10 is such a hodgepodge of opinion.

Will that change between now and TSN’s final draft rankings, which will be compiled in early June and released the week prior to the NHL draft in Las Vegas, June 28-29?

Perhaps, but this draft may simply have a lot of really good prospects with maybe not that much separating them, which may well put an even greater premium than usual on each club’s individual likes, dislikes, preferences and/or needs — big vs. small; offensive vs. defensive; forward vs. defenceman; skilled vs. physical.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

McKenzie's Updated rankings. Wroth pointing out his are rankings based on polling of a selections of scouts and are an attempt to get a consensus of what league is thinking. 

I say because as he notes in his article he's never seen such a lack of consensus as he is this year. I like his conclusion though, I don't think it speaks to quality of prospects but more so the talent different is less so it's going to come down to what do the clubs want and what do they value. 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/bob-mckenzie-s-nhl-draft-ranking-an-unpredictable-ride-after-macklin-celebrini-1.2116004

Connolly carrying on his trend of being a loose cannon arrived on queue yesterday, but still captures 15th. hmmm...

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

If this top 8 plays out then I would take either Tij or Yakemchuk.

33 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I would go:

Catton 

Helenius

Iginla

Yakemchuk

Eiserman

I think Helenius is getting really underrated around here. He is a really smart player. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I would go:

Catton 

Helenius

Iginla

Yakemchuk

Eiserman

I think Helenius is getting really underrated around here. He is a really smart player. 

Strategically speaking, I feel the Flames need D more than F since it's the first year of what might be a 3 to 4 year retool.  D take longer to develop so take a D first.  Prioritize Buium and Dickinson.  If they are gone, then look at Silayev, Parekh, and Yakemchuk... Maybe even Jiricek.

RHS RD are rare so taking one now means not having to worry about it 5 years down the road... Look at BUF and OTT... Solid LDs but can't get pairings right because no top tier RD.  Yakemchuk is likely never going to be elite but potentially 2/3/4 on the depth chart.  Goes a long ways to complement the team in 5 years time.

And Tij because it's Iginla.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Strategically speaking, I feel the Flames need D more than F since it's the first year of what might be a 3 to 4 year retool.  D take longer to develop so take a D first.  Prioritize Buium and Dickinson.  If they are gone, then look at Silayev, Parekh, and Yakemchuk... Maybe even Jiricek.

RHS RD are rare so taking one now means not having to worry about it 5 years down the road... Look at BUF and OTT... Solid LDs but can't get pairings right because no top tier RD.  Yakemchuk is likely never going to be elite but potentially 2/3/4 on the depth chart.  Goes a long ways to complement the team in 5 years time.

This is a very possible scenario, and a difficult decision.  I’d go with the only(?) one possibly elite, Iginla.  

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's an awkward time.

If we are being really....really...really honest lol...

There is a possibility that Landon Dupont could solve our RD issues.   Not enough to seriously plan for though.

There's time.    There's one thing that comes ahead of D, and we can't just hope Wolf solves it all.

I hope to see us come away with several of these guys.   Won't be expensive.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/2024-nhl-draft-10-goaltenders-you-need-to-know

39 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

It's an awkward time.

If we are being really....really...really honest lol...

There is a possibility that Landon Dupont could solve our RD issues.   Not enough to seriously plan for though.

There's time.    There's one thing that comes ahead of D, and we can't just hope Wolf solves it all.

I hope to see us come away with several of these guys.   Won't be expensive.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/2024-nhl-draft-10-goaltenders-you-need-to-know

We should take a G in the 2nd or 3rd round this year.  Just as insurance.

41 minutes ago, cberg said:

This is a very possible scenario, and a difficult decision.  I’d go with the only(?) one possibly elite, Iginla.  

Tij is fast rising.  Usually a great sign to be late blooming going into the draft.  Possible untapped potential being realized finally. 

I would take Iginla if Buium and Dickinson are taken... But I also like Yakemchuk.

Just now, cberg said:

Well, in 24 hrs the 2024 draft lottery will be history.  Anyone know who will be streaming it?

Sportsnet at 4:30. It's a made for TV event, actually results probably not unveiled until 4:45-4:50ish

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Sportsnet at 4:30. It's a made for TV event, actually results probably not unveiled until 4:45-4:50ish

Yeah, don’t get Sportsnet, maybe their website, YouTube…

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

gotta love silly season.

Not sure how credible that tweet is, but,

CBJ = Silayev

MTL = Lindstrom

Utah = Buium/Dickinson

OTT = Parekh

SEA = Buium/Dickinson

Then exactly TSN McKenzie's scenario plays out and the Flames are looking at Catton, Helenius, Iginla, Yakemchuk, Eiserman... 

I've tried looking this up, but can't find a clear answer.

In 2022 the league implemented the cap on lottery wins. You can win twice in five years.

1. MTL

2. NJ

1. CHI

2. ANA

Obviously, if Chicago or Montreal pick 1st, they become ineligible to win the lottery going forward.

What I've been trying to find out, unsuccessfully, does the twice in five years cap apply to the draws for 2nd overall? If ANA wins the lottery, either draw, do they become ineligible for the 2025 lotto?

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Withhold your final answer. Helenius is playing for Finland in the IIHF World Championship starting May 10th. With NHLers, against NHLers. Same as Celebrini for Canada.

See how he does. Unfortunately, if he has a solid showing, it'll raise his stock. But it's too early to checkmark your boxes. Chris Peters at FloHockey had a pretty decent post-mortem today following the u18. Flo is quite reputable and the principal source for the USHL.

Decent insights:

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/12534528-2024-nhl-draft-prospect-scouting-reports-from-the-world-u18-championship

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Withhold your final answer. Helenius is playing for Finland in the IIHF World Championship starting May 10th. With NHLers, against NHLers. Same as Celebrini for Canada.

See how he does. Unfortunately, if he has a solid showing, it'll raise his stock. But it's too early to checkmark your boxes. Chris Peters at FloHockey had a pretty decent post-mortem today following the u18. Flo is quite reputable and the principal source for the USHL.

Decent insights:

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/12534528-2024-nhl-draft-prospect-scouting-reports-from-the-world-u18-championship

That’s a great scouting report from the U18.  Definitely worth reading and sharing as you get more information on the players mostly outside of the Top10.  Definitely some guys to look out for.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Decent insights:

Helenius has Lindholm potential.  RHS C.  Smart two-way game.  Would be a great pick.  

I just think the Flames should go with a D regardless.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Helenius has Lindholm potential.  RHS C.  Smart two-way game.  Would be a great pick.  

I just think the Flames should go with a D regardless.

Ultimately Lindholm was a secondary piece, couldn’t drive his own line and play suffered without other elite players. If Helenius is the same it would be a big 1st round failure for the Flames.  

I’m hoping for a solid 2-way, play-driving scorer(Tij), an excellent play-driving C(Catton), a dynamic, physical offensive D(Yakemchuk), or one of the Top6 dropping down miraculously from above…

Actually, I want two of the above.  C’mon Conny, make it happen…

1 hour ago, cberg said:

Actually, I want two of the above.  C’mon Conny, make it happen…

Same same.  Every player should be made available to help get another pick (except Wolf).  Flames have nothing to lose at this stage of their rebuild/retool.  "Worst" case is we trade away a very good veteran and the Flames pick even higher next season, right?  It's not like we are Cup contenders or anything.

52 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Same same.  Every player should be made available to help get another pick (except Wolf).  Flames have nothing to lose at this stage of their rebuild/retool.  "Worst" case is we trade away a very good veteran and the Flames pick even higher next season, right?  It's not like we are Cup contenders or anything.

That's the reality of a properly done rebuild.   Could we sell all our picks and turn it around next year?

If "turning it around" means finishing middle of the pack and barely making the playoffs....maybe yes.  LOL

We do this right, and in a few years not Only can we sell at the TDL, but we'll have a young talented guy waiting in the AHL or abroad to fill that spot and do an even better job of it.

Your rebuild is done when you can sell at the TDL and not even feel it because of the prospects you have ready.

If we land two top-10 picks I might just go ahead and buy season tickets for the first time.