2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

Untitled.png

Ok..  I know it's a bit early, but pretty soon we gotta stop moping.

It may not be the way some hoped, but we are legit battling the Oilers for first right now.

Whatever happens, this is a great year to talk about the draft imho.   It's spoken of as a weak draft but what I see are a lot of very talented defencemen.   No goalies yet, so we don't have to have that brutal debate lol.

Artyom Levshunov in particular is tearing up US College right now.    And he's one of 7 top rated D in this draft.

Could we have 4 of them please?

57 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Hard to get excited about the draft right now.  Too early.

Also, Montreal might take our 1st round pick if it's 10-20.  So we might not even be picking very high in the first round, if at all.

dunno man.

the way I understand it we just need to tank a bit this year and we're okay.

Conroy kept Markstrom:  check

Everyone injured:  check

Contract negotiations haulted:  check

Team prancing around naked and happy:  check

IMHO, what I'm more interested in is How Many first rounders we will have.   The defence-heavy years imho are very good rebuilding years.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Hard to get excited about the draft right now.  Too early.

Also, Montreal might take our 1st round pick if it's 10-20.  So we might not even be picking very high in the first round, if at all.

Can't, only 20-32

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Anton Silayev.

Already so dominant.   

I get a  little skeptical sometimes of the giants, because they may not have the same ceiling as some of the guys who make that ranking on pure skill.   But, man.   He's already an impact player in the KHL.   Rare as they come.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Already so dominant.   

I get a  little skeptical sometimes of the giants, because they may not have the same ceiling as some of the guys who make that ranking on pure skill.   But, man.   He's already an impact player in the KHL.   Rare as they come.

He’s getting some buzz as a top 1 or 2 pick.

The issue will be getting live viewings of him as he won’t be at any major international tournaments. Flames hired Grebeshkov to scout Russia though.

I would probably have Celebrini at 1. But would be open to Silayev at 2. Eiserman is good, but he’s a winger. Get the franchise C or D at the top of the draft 

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The issue will be getting live viewings of him as he won’t be at any major international tournaments. Flames hired Grebeshkov to scout Russia though.

I would probably have Celebrini at 1. But would be open to Silayev at 2. Eiserman is good, but he’s a winger. Get the franchise C or D at the top of the draft 

interesting.   I didn't know he'd been ranked that high.    

I think for where the Flames are now, you always go for the franchise D.  A few reasons:

-I'm doubtful there's any surefire franchise C in this draft, and I'm okay with that

-build around the net, or be the Oilers.  the choice is ours.  The D take longer to develop, are usually under-rated, have a bigger impact in wins.

So yeah.  I'll keep an eye on him.  Like, it is early, and I know little.   Generally though, I get leary of the 6'7 first overalls.   But each case is different.  The fact that he's Russian doesn't bother me at all.

On 11/2/2023 at 2:08 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

Did you say LHS LW?  That's got Flames pick labeled all over it.

On 11/2/2023 at 12:53 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

Anton Silayev.

ok,  I'm warming up to this.    I'm reading more on this guy.  Not just this article lol, but anyway as example

https://theathletic.com/5014514/2023/11/01/nhl-draft-2024-prospects-rankings-in-season-celebrini/

So yeah.   I need to think about his stats but maybe I will forgive him for being 6'7 lol.

Could this guy be the next Cale Makar?  Or more?   Maybe bad example as Makar's been getting injured.

Anyway...

If the draft was today, with our current ranking (#2), he would be slated for Calgary (ranked #2).

I cannot think of a better way to rebuild.   A guy projected to be a generational defenceman.

• Like 1

If we could lan a few more 1st rounders and finish fairly high in the draft (top 10) that could go along way if they drafted a few D to build around…also draft Tij Iginla…I’d say late 1st rounder by the the time the draft rolls around.  He’s starting to climb in the rankings and if we could scoop up 2 more 1st rounders I’d say it would be well worth drafting him, not just cause of the Iggy legacy but he’s also a Ctr which we need…that could go along way in bolstering the Ctr position what with Zary coming along and adding Iggy Jr…they would at very least sure up the 2nd and 3rd lines…maybe we draft a stud Ctr in 2025 draft and with Hornzk and Coranato has the makings of a solid top 3 lines with Ruzicka, Duher, Phillips and a few others…youth movement at this time could work well…maybe add a few mid 20’s guys in trades and this thing could be back on track and starting to win games in 2026/2027/2028 area…add in Wolf having 2-3 years at NHL experience it could all work out…just a matter of finding a way to ditch Hubby, Kadri, Backlund and Markstrom…others should be easier sells 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

If we could lan a few more 1st rounders and finish fairly high in the draft (top 10) that could go along way if they drafted a few D to build around…also draft Tij Iginla…I’d say late 1st rounder by the the time the draft rolls around.  He’s starting to climb in the rankings and if we could scoop up 2 more 1st rounders I’d say it would be well worth drafting him, not just cause of the Iggy legacy but he’s also a Ctr which we need…that could go along way in bolstering the Ctr position what with Zary coming along and adding Iggy Jr…they would at very least sure up the 2nd and 3rd lines…maybe we draft a stud Ctr in 2025 draft and with Hornzk and Coranato has the makings of a solid top 3 lines with Ruzicka, Duher, Phillips and a few others…youth movement at this time could work well…maybe add a few mid 20’s guys in trades and this thing could be back on track and starting to win games in 2026/2027/2028 area…add in Wolf having 2-3 years at NHL experience it could all work out…just a matter of finding a way to ditch Hubby, Kadri, Backlund and Markstrom…others should be easier sells 

Well, well said.  I agree Most adamantly about taking advantage of this draft to build around the net.  Talk about a potential identity.

Secondly, Tij:  Yes.  We need.     I will say though, we may be dreaming to think he'll be available with a low 1st round pick.

They are a late-bloom familly.  His Dad was Exactly the same at the exact same age, and then just sort of exploded heading into the draft.
                             Ended up going #11 overall, despite being a 2nd-rounder a few months earlier. 

Sadly, based on his current trajectory he could end up in the top 10.   Not cheap.   

But I would be willing to pay that price personally.  Don't ask me to logic it.   He just belongs here.

giphy.gif

It would be excellent if the Flames could draft Tij Iginla. Would be very cool. He's also on track to be a very deserving first rounder.

I just don't think it happens though.

- The Flames will likely be picking too early. Right now Iginla feels like someone that will go in the 10-15 range. It's possible the Flames pick around then, but right now it's  not trending that way.

- Jarome being in the org probably doesn't help. He might not want the Flames to draft Tij. Would be cool, but would lead to a lot of unfair expectations.

Any baseball fans? San Diego had Tony Gwynn, probably the best hitter ever. The Padres later had his son Tony Gwynn Jr. Didn't work out all that well. 

Tj and Joe will both be NHLers. I think it will be a little similar to the Tkachuk's. In the sense that the Blues fans badly want them, but if it happens it will be at the end of their careers.

5 hours ago, MP5029 said:

there's always hope this happens, but history always rears it's ugly head and the team always seems to go the opposite direction. 

50 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It would be excellent if the Flames could draft Tij Iginla. Would be very cool. He's also on track to be a very deserving first rounder.

- The Flames will likely be picking too early. Right now Iginla feels like someone that will go in the 10-15 range. It's possible the Flames pick around then, but right now it's  not trending that way.

- Jarome being in the org probably doesn't help. He might not want the Flames to draft Tij. Would be cool, but would lead to a lot of unfair expectations.

Any baseball fans? San Diego had Tony Gwynn, probably the best hitter ever. The Padres later had his son Tony Gwynn Jr. Didn't work out all that well. 

Tj and Joe will both be NHLers. I think it will be a little similar to the Tkachuk's. In the sense that the Blues fans badly want them, but if it happens it will be at the end of their careers.

I can't argue with any of your logic.

But my nostalgia disagrees lol.   I want it to happen and I'm typically the ugy that's like "no, D first, etc etc".

So that means most likely want it to happen lol

I would be very dissapointed if we got 2nd overall and squandered it going off the board.  I'd also be pretty worried if we don't pick up the pace on addressing D.   But if they somehow traded for an additional pick, and landed him with it...  man oh man.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don't see Tij Iginla ranked anywhere.  Is he a top 10-15 prospect?  

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I can't argue with any of your logic.

But my nostalgia disagrees lol.   I want it to happen and I'm typically the ugy that's like "no, D first, etc etc".

So that means most likely want it to happen lol

I would be very dissapointed if we got 2nd overall and squandered it going off the board.  I'd also be pretty worried if we don't pick up the pace on addressing D.   But if they somehow traded for an additional pick, and landed him with it...  man oh man.

The way this season has started, the Flames should have 3 firsts.

If that were to be the case, they need to take at least one D, for sure.

If the Flames are going to take a step back, I'm changing my approach to the draft. I've been of the mind that the Flames need to invest more in RHS and D in past drafts. That will certainly remain true, but if they're gonna rebuild, they just need as many quality players as they can get. I'd be less worried about handedness. When the team is trying to contend, I lean slightly more to drafting to fill organizational needs. In a rebuild, that's not the case.

9 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Well, well said.  I agree Most adamantly about taking advantage of this draft to build around the net.  Talk about a potential identity.

Secondly, Tij:  Yes.  We need.     I will say though, we may be dreaming to think he'll be available with a low 1st round pick.

They are a late-bloom familly.  His Dad was Exactly the same at the exact same age, and then just sort of exploded heading into the draft.
                             Ended up going #11 overall, despite being a 2nd-rounder a few months earlier. 

Sadly, based on his current trajectory he could end up in the top 10.   Not cheap.   

But I would be willing to pay that price personally.  Don't ask me to logic it.   He just belongs here.

giphy.gif

I agree, and all solid point’s especially that he belongs in Cgy!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The way this season has started, the Flames should have 3 firsts.

If that were to be the case, they need to take at least one D, for sure.

If the Flames are going to take a step back, I'm changing my approach to the draft. I've been of the mind that the Flames need to invest more in RHS and D in past drafts. That will certainly remain true, but if they're gonna rebuild, they just need as many quality players as they can get. I'd be less worried about handedness. When the team is trying to contend, I lean slightly more to drafting to fill organizational needs. In a rebuild, that's not the case.

There's something wrong with the way we look to the future. The writing is on the wall with a couple of pretty good to the sounds of it, deep drafts, and we fans sense the way the team is trending. How do they not see it and then miss a great opportunity The invest in the future. Keeping Monahan and a First would have been one extra year of Rebuild completed already if fans were listened to, or someone who is supposed to know more sees it correctly. 

I admit, from what Hubie was in Floridas, I was excited. Different system and different division. Maybe he needs to be there, surrounded by other talent and free flow. Essentially he was an elite 2nd liner there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

There's something wrong with the way we look to the future. The writing is on the wall with a couple of pretty good to the sounds of it, deep drafts, and we fans sense the way the team is trending. How do they not see it and then miss a great opportunity The invest in the future. Keeping Monahan and a First would have been one extra year of Rebuild completed already if fans were listened to, or someone who is supposed to know more sees it correctly. 

I admit, from what Hubie was in Floridas, I was excited. Different system and different division. Maybe he needs to be there, surrounded by other talent and free flow. Essentially he was an elite 2nd liner there. 

I agree with you.

Teams don't rebuild willingly, unfortunately. The Flames are on the verge of being forced into it. It may have happened last year if the Florida offer never materialized. At the time of the trade, Huberdeau was on the same level as Gaudreau and Tkachuk. It's laughable now, but it's true. When there was an offer that included him, I think it completely changed the outlook. It hasn't worked, and like you said, delayed the rebuild by a year.

26 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I agree with you.

Teams don't rebuild willingly, unfortunately. The Flames are on the verge of being forced into it. It may have happened last year if the Florida offer never materialized. At the time of the trade, Huberdeau was on the same level as Gaudreau and Tkachuk. It's laughable now, but it's true. When there was an offer that included him, I think it completely changed the outlook. It hasn't worked, and like you said, delayed the rebuild by a year.

Iginla all over again. We decided in a year it's weaker instead of having foresight. The year we went maybe we didn't bottom out enough. But not a very good draft at all...