2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Iginla all over again. We decided in a year it's weaker instead of having foresight. The year we went maybe we didn't bottom out enough. But not a very good draft at all...

The 2013 draft was really hyped up. It was a fine draft. The Flames have actually had a bunch of players picked in the first round. Monahan/Lindholm/Lazar/Poirier/Shinkaruk Klimchuk/Zadorov.

The issue there was that was the first “official” draft of the rebuild and they missed on every pick after Monahan at 6th.

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The 2013 draft was really hyped up. It was a fine draft. The Flames have actually had a bunch of players picked in the first round. Monahan/Lindholm/Lazar/Poirier/Shinkaruk Klimchuk/Zadorov.

The issue there was that was the first “official” draft of the rebuild and they missed on every pick after Monahan at 6th.

I thought Monahan was a year later that was the Baertschi draft year? I could be a year ahead? The one with Poirier andShink...

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I agree with you.

Teams don't rebuild willingly, unfortunately. The Flames are on the verge of being forced into it. It may have happened last year if the Florida offer never materialized. At the time of the trade, Huberdeau was on the same level as Gaudreau and Tkachuk. It's laughable now, but it's true. When there was an offer that included him, I think it completely changed the outlook. It hasn't worked, and like you said, delayed the rebuild by a year.

While all this is true, the other part is the crazy deal they offered Hubby…many people thought it best to wait…had they waited I’m sure his contract would have been far lower both in terms of dollars and term.  

Not that it would be great but hubby may have been offered 6-7 mil at 2-3 years…while not great, it’s far better and much easier to swallow say 3-3.5 over 2-3 year gap..meaning he would be tradable but at 5.25 over 7 years it’s not really possible….

The other part of this is Hubby was 29…Tachuck was 26…that’s a huge difference one is hitting his prime the other is existing it…again the dollars and term were just stupid from that alone, then had they waited they would have seen the decline…

in a nut shell, Hubby and Kadri are gonna stall out a rebuild for a very long time…figure the cap needs to increase by a lot, and at least 1/2 the term of each contract needs to be completed before a trade with 50% retained possibly allow the team to just break even…meaning just to free up the roster place.

• Like 1

I agree with you.

Teams don't rebuild willingly, unfortunately. The Flames are on the verge of being forced into it. It may have happened last year if the Florida offer never materialized. At the time of the trade, Huberdeau was on the same level as Gaudreau and Tkachuk. It's laughable now, but it's true. When there was an offer that included him, I think it completely changed the outlook. It hasn't worked, and like you said, delayed the rebuild by a year.

to be fair.. and I rarely side with that side...   Huberdeau and Gaudreau are Still on par with each other 😅    Also I never liked Tkachuk.

Anyway I've made my feellings very clear about how many years ago the rebuild should have started, OR the draft pick handouts stopped.

I see this defence-heavy, Iginla heavy draft as a tremendous, tremendous opportunity and yes I would LOVE to come away with 3 players in the first round, 5-6 players by round 2.    It would shave Many years of pain off.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

@conundrumed what's your thoughts on Sam Dickinson?

Love him. Hate the Knights though. He's their backbone, was last year too. You always know he's out there, solid defensively and makes things happen offensively.

He is a solid bet as a top 2 NHL dman. Skates well, good IQ and likes to be physical. 1st rder easy, likely top 10, but there are some solid dmen coming up. I haven't watched many that I want to yet, but Dickinson's a boss back there. Plays with a ton of confidence, as he should.

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Love him. Hate the Knights though. He's their backbone, was last year too. You always know he's out there, solid defensively and makes things happen offensively.

He is a solid bet as a top 2 NHL dman. Skates well, good IQ and likes to be physical. 1st rder easy, likely top 10, but there are some solid dmen coming up. I haven't watched many that I want to yet, but Dickinson's a boss back there. Plays with a ton of confidence, as he should.

Thanks!

I haven't seen a ton of him, but he looks really good. He can sure fire it.  

I'm not an OHL guy and I typically cheer against London. They do a great job at producing NHLers though. He's going to be one to track regarding the Flames 1st round pick.

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

Thanks!

I haven't seen a ton of him, but he looks really good. He can sure fire it.  

I'm not an OHL guy and I typically cheer against London. They do a great job at producing NHLers though. He's going to be one to track regarding the Flames 1st round pick.

It just came to me that in the Conference Final last year, my butt puckered more seeing Dickinson on the ice than when Bonk was out there, for example. Didn't fear Bonk much, but Dickenson, yeah.

• Like 1

How many here think we will end up in this spot, drafting in the Top5 this year? I hope we do.

how much is losing a lot in the first 20 games learning new systems? 

it would be great to get some extra draft picks. If there are some #1 D in the draft get those. I'm with JJ and I think Peeps was calling for flames to draft some D when we weren't for how many years. 

but that player that is Tkachuk-esque sounds intriguing. 

can there be some #1C's in the draft?

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

How many here think we will end up in this spot, drafting in the Top5 this year? I hope we do.

it would be great to get some extra draft picks. If there are some #1 D in the draft get those. I'm with JJ and I think Peeps was calling for flames to draft some D when we weren't for how many years. 

1st overall, Celebrini is a C

Eiserman might go 2nd, LW.  But scores a goal/game.

Demidov is a LHS that plays RW. Very skilled

Lots of D options. Sulayev, Levshunov, Dickinson.

Cayden Lindstrom with Medicine Hat. Will go high. Big centre. Brekky Catton with Spokane, might be a winger in the NHL.

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

1st overall, Celebrini is a C

Eiserman might go 2nd, LW.  But scores a goal/game.

Demidov is a LHS that plays RW. Very skilled

Lots of D options. Sulayev, Levshunov, Dickinson.

Cayden Lindstrom with Medicine Hat. Will go high. Big centre. Brekky Catton with Spokane, might be a winger in the NHL.

Edit- Berkly Catton

40 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

The mess that Sutter left will be felt for some time.  From the losing of players were traded for to settling for a meh coach to a divided room to the perception we needed to change only the D systems....That is the hardest part of the start to the season.  The bad habits have crept back in.  The divided room is still in turmoil.  The new captain isn't putting his stamp on the team.  We have a boat load of pending UFA's that we seem to have no idea how to deal with.  Priortize one guy and then get nowhere.  The non-priority guys feel slighted or decide they want to ask for a lot more due to the rising cap.

We are neither a last 10 team by end of the year nor a top 10.  We will start playing better as December and January creep closer.  We have young guns that are showing the vets how to play.  They have invigorated 2 lines.  We should deal with one or two of the pending UFA's and ship them out.  It doesn't have to be a home run trade.  Just a single or double.  Advance the runners.  That way we are not left at TDL trying to be a seller when we are still in the running for a playoff spot.  You can still trade one or two then and not kill your chances.  But you have to have a plan.  Not signing guys now is not doing anything to address it.  You want Tanev or Zaddy?  Make it clear to them what the plan is and back it up with offers and moves.  Lindholm has soured because we have no plan.  Hom and Backlund both wanted to see us do something to improve.  Our solution was do nothing other than one trade and a waiver claim.

• 1 month later...

2024 NHL Mock Draft | 2024 NHL Draft | NHL Draft (mynhldraft.com)

This is an interesting mock. They've got Cayden Lindstrom at 2nd. The tools are really intirguing. Eiserman at 4th.

Flames are at 6th right now. I'd say the top 7 is the sweet spot. Get a really good player, with a shot at the lottery. Hard to see them picking any higher than 5th. CBJ, CHI, ANA, SJ will not pass CGY.

12 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This is an interesting mock. They've got Cayden Lindstrom at 2nd. The tools are really intirguing. Eiserman at 4th.

Flames are at 6th right now. I'd say the top 7 is the sweet spot. Get a really good player, with a shot at the lottery. Hard to see them picking any higher than 5th. CBJ, CHI, ANA, SJ will not pass CGY.

Not to be a pooper, but we are almost incapable of hitting top 10 for drafting.

We sucked to start the year and called up a bunch of players.

Started winning.

If we sold off the UFA's we still have the kids performing at a high level.

Would need to trade Markstrom, Vladar and Wolf to hit top 6.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Started winning.

Why, they aren't really winning them games at the moment.  I think there is a difference in the bump between giving Zary and Pospisil a call up on a wing with an experienced C that matches their style vs. asking the current depth and farmhands to replace Tanev and Hanifin.  And as much as Lindholm has underperformed, you still need to replace those minutes.

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Started winning.

Three wins in the last ten.

It's a toss-up if they're better than Seattle.

Of the teams ahead of Calgary, Montreal is the one that stands out as one the Flames could pass. Buffalo, Minnesota and Ottawa will all finish ahead IMO.

The schedule should ease up, but the team is likely deleting Tanev, Lindholm and Hanifin. guess would be the Flames end up picking in the 6-10 range.

14 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Why, they aren't really winning them games at the moment.  I think there is a difference in the bump between giving Zary and Pospisil a call up on a wing with an experienced C that matches their style vs. asking the current depth and farmhands to replace Tanev and Hanifin.  And as much as Lindholm has underperformed, you still need to replace those minutes.

What did we do last year, when the chips were on the line.  Won a bunch.

Very few players scoring near their averages.

Overall, even if we were monumentally bad, we would be hard pressed to be in the sub-basement.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What did we do last year, when the chips were on the line.  Won a bunch.

Very few players scoring near their averages.

Overall, even if we were monumentally bad, we would be hard pressed to be in the sub-basement.

Last year the team was never 3 games under .500 not counting OTL, this year they haven't been above since October and have only had a brief stay at .500.  The Flames being in it now is still more a sign to how bad the bottom half of the west has been.  You can say the team hasn't played the bottom feeders yet so that can change, but remember 0-3 against Chicago last year.  If the team can pull off 2 consecutive winning 10 game segments then maybe I'll believe it, but to date its been 1 awful, 1 really good, and 1 bad.  I need to see it with this group before I believe it, last year is irrelevant.

We sooo going to draft #8 just because 

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We sooo going to draft #8 just because 

How about 8th, 20th and 27th? Can Handypants (NYI) and Lipbalm (DAL) garner 1sts? I feel like both of those teams are going to want to add a piece or 2 this year.

Especially with the Isles playing better, Lou won't wait. Nill's gotta be thinking the same with some aging vets.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

How about 8th, 20th and 27th? Can Handypants (NYI) and Lipbalm (DAL) garner 1sts? I feel like both of those teams are going to want to add a piece or 2 this year.

Especially with the Isles playing better, Lou won't wait. Nill's gotta be thinking the same with some aging vets.

I guess Tij Iginla is rising up the ranks right now.  Maybe we need to spend the 8th to take Tij.