2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

Konsta Helenius is another guy I think would be great in the Flames range. He did not have a great WJC, which is an area of concern, but the Finns as a team had a horrible WJC. Helenius has high hockey IQ, good skill and is a good skater, not afraid to fight for the puck. Reminds me a bit of Lindholm.

56 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Lindstrom is really good.

That Med Hat team is a ton of fun to watch.

I think he could go anywhere from 2-7

Yeah I have seen him ranked from 4 to 19. The size, skating and skill package is going to be pretty tantalizing for teams in the top end of the draft.

Though there is going to be a lot of defensemen at the top end of the draft that bring size and skill to the table. Anton Silayev is 6’7” and is a great skater, he has been climbing the draft boards. It’s just hard to get a good read on the Russians, because nobody can go watch them.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah I have seen him ranked from 4 to 19. The size, skating and skill package is going to be pretty tantalizing for teams in the top end of the draft.

Though there is going to be a lot of defensemen at the top end of the draft that bring size and skill to the table. Anton Silayev is 6’7” and is a great skater, he has been climbing the draft boards. It’s just hard to get a good read on the Russians, because nobody can go watch them.

It makes the hiring of Denis Grebeshkov reslly

important.

I think Silayev would be a very good pick for the Flames.

He is under contract through 25/26. That could deter some teams. I personally, think it shouldn’t, but that was the case last year with Michkov.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

important.

He is under contract through 25/26. That could deter some teams. I personally, think it shouldn’t, but that was the case last year with Michkov.

Michkov sounded like he wanted to determine where he was going too. I get it's media spins, but he also seemed to be not thrilled where he was drafted, but possibly that he went lower than he felt though...

I think being at the draft is key too. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

important.

If you can get d-man with Hedman upside, I would wait till 2026 to get him over.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If you can get d-man with Hedman upside, I would wait till 2026 to get him over.

I would too. The contract wouldn't be an issue for me. 

I just look at Zary and Pelletier, different situations, but you're talking about three or four years from the time they were drafted until they became NHLers. Waiting two years for Silayev should be no big deal.

39 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/craig-s-list-dominant-defencemen-set-to-take-over-2024-nhl-draft-1.2061018

Craig Button's draft rankings just came out. He has Silayev 3rd, Helenius 6th andLindstrom 10th. A little surprised he has Berkly Catton down at 13th.

Sportsnet had theirs yesterday Sportsnet's 2024 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings: January Edition

Interesting to see how rankings change after #1 mainly how Eiserman is all over the place in rankings.  Makes the debate more fun and the draft more interesting with less consensus.

• 2 weeks later...

Major logjam in the standings.

Right now, the Flames would be picking 9th. Buffalo at 6th, with one less point.

Again, I like the Flames chances at landing a top ten selection. That would be significant, as they haven’t picked that early since 2016.

Looks like Greer’s injury will cost him some time. Going back to Sunday, the Flames have lost three of their regular forwards, for various reasons. They weren’t massive contributors, but now they’re being replaced with unknowns. 

When they delete three key players at the TDL, the. I think you’re looking at a recipe for quite a few losses.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Major logjam in the standings.

Right now, the Flames would be picking 9th. Buffalo at 6th, with one less point.

Again, I like the Flames chances at landing a top ten selection. That would be significant, as they haven’t picked that early since 2016.

Looks like Greer’s injury will cost him some time. Going back to Sunday, the Flames have lost three of their regular forwards, for various reasons. They weren’t massive contributors, but now they’re being replaced with unknowns. 

When they delete three key players at the TDL, the. I think you’re looking at a recipe for quite a few losses.

Greer looked like he could be done.  Through no fault but their own, they lost a regular player in Ruzicka at a time they knew Dube was going to be gone.  I don't really care if he was not meeting their expectations; he was at least one of the top players they have coming out of the AHL.  There is no excuse for that.  The GM knows that any trades he makes has to take into account current roster.

Realistically, the best draft spot prior to the lottery would be the 6th overall spot. There's no way we can get a higher pick without a lotto win. It is just too many points to drop to get to anything lower in the standings.

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Realistically, the best draft spot prior to the lottery would be the 6th overall spot. There's no way we can get a higher pick without a lotto win. It is just too many points to drop to get to anything lower in the standings.

never give up hope

• Like 1

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

4 hours ago, jjgallow said:

never give up hope

Here you go.  We are 9 points up on Ottawa but they have 4 games in hand.

8 up on CBJ but they have one in hand.

If we trade Hanifin and/or Tanev and Lindholm, we might see better play, LOL.

No, I think that puts us in the re-tool range and would start lookin at Wolf to back up.

TBH, it may be exactly the wrong time to start Wolf.

Make the trades you need, decise if you are going young, then see if there is a need to start Wolf.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

No, I think that puts us in the re-tool range and would start lookin at Wolf to back up.

Make the trades you need, decise if you are going young, then see if there is a need to start Wolf.

ya, I just wonder if Conroy is going to trend to players who are young and need a new scenery due to depth charts on the teams they're on now.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

All I know is, there are 4 incredible D in the top 10.   And, there should be 6, imho.

We all remember what happened with Michkov.   Imho, Michkov would go #1 or #2 overall in a redraft right now.

Silayev is going to drop, for all the reasons that Michkov dropped, PLUS the fact that he is a defenceman, which GMs and their short lifespans hate.

Levshunov is insanely good.

One or more teams will draft a defenceman this year who will be instrumental in hoisting one or more cups.

Hopefully us.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

All I know is, there are 4 incredible D in the top 10.   And, there should be 6, imho.

We all remember what happened with Michkov.   Imho, Michkov would go #1 or #2 overall in a redraft right now.

Silayev is going to drop, for all the reasons that Michkov dropped, PLUS the fact that he is a defenceman, which GMs and their short lifespans hate.

Levshunov is insanely good.

One or more teams will draft a defenceman this year who will be instrumental in hoisting one or more cups.

Hopefully us.

We are going to win the draft lottery this year.  I can feel it.

And then we are going to draft Tij Iginla #1 overall.

Calgary is currently in 24th place after 49 games played.

I think that Chicago, San Jose, Anaheim, Ottawa, and Columbus probably have the bottom 5 spots locked up.

The Flames might be able to drop below Minnesota, Montreal, and Buffalo and end up with the #6 OA draft pick, which would give them the following lotto odds:

#1 = 7.5%

#2 + 7.7%

#3 = 0.2%

#4 = 0

#5 = 0

#6 = 34.1%

#7 = 41.4%

#8 = 9.1%