2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Lousy team, he's still the shortest in his fam by a few inches. Freij and Mews are both borderline 1st rders, Fischer will be in the late 2nd - early 3rd, so not the same range. Dallas pick to our 3rd. Someone will be getting great potential with Fischer. Too funny if it's Detroit. "Sorry son, you were next on our list, honestly".

If he's still  available in the 3rd I would do it.  I just don't expect him to be because there's always a GM who will be like "big mature player, he'll  pay off before I get fired" and draft him early.    

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

@The_People1

Am I going to regret telling you to check the OHL playoff scoring leaders?

That guy sure isn't hurting Sennecke's draft-stock, either.

I'm OHL-centric due to live viewing, so I was championing Musty, then this guy...

I still like the Honzek pick. There just really isn't much that separates 15-50 in most drafts, let alone 15-30.

I highly recommend watching the OHL semis and Finals, alongside the same from the dub.

Stoopid dub start times. But what, am I supposed to watch the Oilers/Van? I don't gaf about those teams. lol

Never heard of Sennecke.  Looks like ranked early-20s.  Don't have a chance with the Canuck's 1st.

54 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

If he's still  available in the 3rd I would do it.  I just don't expect him to be because there's always a GM who will be like "big mature player, he'll  pay off before I get fired" and draft him early.    

There are quite a few options. I don't envy NHL scouts. I wouldn't hate taking Fischer for the purely selfish reasons of seeing him all the time. The Sting are, "rebuilding", shall we call it? Blew their load in the 22-23 season. Traded Martone for Del Mastro for starters. Gonna be a young team next year. Picked 2oa in the draft, so that might be fun. Fischer's likely as good a pick as anyone from 60-75. But there are C's there that I like, if we've already taken 2-3 dmen. Or maybe we should have a pretty full-on Dman draft? I'm not sure. I'd really like Misa with the Van pick.

He's close to Catton, imho.

US-Finland becoming a game after the US went up 4-0. 4-2 now and Helenius just drilled the post. Oops, Stiga with his 4th goal. 5-2. Damn.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It depends on MTL.  Most of us think they will go with a F because they have a ton of D prospects already.  But if they decide to go with D, then we could see 4 straight D gone before the Flames turn at 9.  Flames will be looking at Catton, Iginla, Eiserman, etc.  or reach for Yakemchuk/Jiricek.

If MTL takes a F, then I think there's reason to believe Parekh, Buium and Dickinson go before Silayev.

Montreal, Ottawa, Utah could all take Iginla. New ownership with Ottawa and Utah. Columbus I could see it too.

You can say Ottawa needs RHD and that’s true. They need it immediately though. Trade or UFA

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Montreal, Ottawa, Utah could all take Iginla. New ownership with Ottawa and Utah. Columbus I could see it too.

You can say Ottawa needs RHD and that’s true. They need it immediately though. Trade or UFA

I'm not worried about Iginla.  I hope he gets taken before our pick so we don't have to deal with the controversy.

I'm worried about,

MTL - Silayev

Utah - Buium

OTT - Parekh

SEA - Dickinson

This means all the "top D" are gone.   Catton, Iginla, and Eiserman are on the board for the Flames at 9.  Do the Flames "reach" for Yakemchuk/Jiricek if we want D?

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'm not worried about Iginla.  I hope he gets taken before our pick so we don't have to deal with the controversy.

I'm worried about,

MTL - Silayev

Utah - Buium

OTT - Parekh

SEA - Dickinson

This means all the "top D" are gone.   Catton, Iginla, and Eiserman are on the board for the Flames at 9.  Do the Flames "reach" for Yakemchuk/Jiricek if we want D?

I am starting to think that there may actually only be three elite D in the draft.     

Levshunov, Parekh.   Yakemchuk.

Not willing to put a list together yet, but if I were to narrow it down today, it's these 3.  One of these 3 (Yakemchuk), and possibly 2 of them, will drop to us.     

I read on here that Yakemchuk may not have the same elite-skill ceiling as the others.  But his stats say otherwise.  Due only to proximity, I did something I would never normally do.   I very briefly put my keyboard and phone down long enough to watch him play.      

He's elite.  Straight up.

I ask myself how could we miss elite right under our nose.  I am reminded of Makar.

I really believe that of the D available in that ranking right now, there are only 3 currently demonstrating 1st line potential  on great teams, and it's those 3.     Of the 3, Yakemchuk has the most warts (call it defensive intelligence if you must).   All his warts are teachable and removable.    But his ceiling is as high or possibly even higher than the other 2.    I would have no problems taking him with our pick and I don't think it's a reach.

I think we're looking at Tij and Yakemchuck in our spot, both essentially Calgarians, which is very cool.   And I don't think we can go wrong with either one.   I think both are Still under-rated with standout trajectories.   But rarely does the draft go as planned. Someone will drop, or we will win lotto...  much remains unknown.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'm worried about,

MTL - Silayev

Utah - Buium

OTT - Parekh

SEA - Dickinson

I don't believe Yakemchuk is the reach you seem to believe, and would pick him if D essential.  However I'd think long and hard for either Iginla or Catton instead.  Flames need players for all skating positions, not just D.  Hopefully the Flames trade for one of those earlier D, or one of them goes for the flash rather than the smash.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I am starting to think that there may actually only be three elite D in the draft.     

Not willing to put a list together yet, but if I were to narrow it down today, it's these 3.  One of these 3 (Yakemchuk), and possibly 2 of them, will drop to us.     

I read on here that Yakemchuk may not have the same elite-skill ceiling as the others.  But his stats say otherwise.  Due only to proximity, I did something I would never normally do.   I very briefly put my keyboard and phone down long enough to watch him play.      

I ask myself how could we miss elite right under our nose.  I am reminded of Makar.

I really believe that of the D available in that ranking right now, there are only 3 currently demonstrating 1st line potential  on great teams, and it's those 3.     Of the 3, Yakemchuk has the most worts (call it defensive intelligence if you must).   All his warts are teachable and removable.    But his ceiling is as high or possibly even higher than the other 2.    I would have no problems taking him with our pick and I don't think it's a reach.

I think we're looking at Tij and Yakemchuck in our spot, both essentially Calgarians, which is very cool.   And I don't think we can go wrong with either one.   I think both are Still under-rated with standout trajectories.   But rarely does the draft go as planned. Someone will drop, or we will win lotto...  much remains unknown.

Agree with the Yakemchuk assessment, I also set the keyboard down and went to a recent Wranglers game.  Yakemchuk was elite in all aspects.  No problem picking him, though I'd want to move heaven and earth to also get Iginla.

Also, the comment about how we can miss elite right under our noses is a great point.  Sometimes, as the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt.  When we see a guy every day you get to see all the tiny plays/comments/nuances that outsiders rarely see and end up judge them for those negatively versus the hyped up versions of others presented to us by media/etc...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I really believe that of the D available in that ranking right now, there are only 3 currently demonstrating 1st line potential  on great teams, and it's those 3.     Of the 3, Yakemchuk has the most warts (call it defensive intelligence if you must).   All his warts are teachable and removable.    But his ceiling is as high or possibly even higher than the other 2.    I would have no problems taking him with our pick and I don't think it's a reach.

Well, you named one. lol Parekh is the last guy that I want us to take. Unless you're moving him to wing. Because there is no way on this green earth that he's going up against the opposition's top 3, more likely, top 6.

He is getting overrated. He literally sucks at playing D.

There. I said it.

He plays D to start rushes, he doesn't play D to, you know, play D.

If you'd replaced those 2 with Buium, Dickinson or Silayev I'd have left it alone.

You're way off track.

Yakemchuk. How many times do we need to hear, "great skater for his size"? If you have to add the, "for his size", you've got yourself a not-great skater. That catchphrase is debilitating. lol

You're a great skater or you're not.

55 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Well, you named one. lol Parekh is the last guy that I want us to take. Unless you're moving him to wing. Because there is no way on this green earth that he's going up against the opposition's top 3, more likely, top 6.

There. I said it.

If you'd replaced those 2 with Buium, Dickinson or Silayev I'd have left it alone.

You're way off track.

Yakemchuk. How many times do we need to hear, "great skater for his size"? If you have to add the, "for his size", you've got yourself a not-great skater. That catchphrase is debilitating. lol

it was strange seeing hockey players in person.  that ice is very cold.   the seats lack cushions.  

1/5 stars.

Your assessment is solid, it comes down to what we want in a 1st rounder.

We're totally on the same page here, because I would be  fine with moving Parekh to wing.  Lord knows we'll need a decent RW.   I have zero interest in solving our defensive woes solely in the draft.  Especially 1st round.   That's trades, coaching, development.    He is a +39 lol.    Whatever he is doing it is working, on both ends of the ice.    The reality of the situation is that he may Not be playing D, or the kind you want to see, but that is a choice either him or his coach is making.    

Here's the thing.  I'm not looking at this in terms of team building next year.   I'm looking at it with cold hard asset value.   Kid is talented, more talented than the others.  By a lot.  Can he play D?  At 17 I do not care.

At 19, I start to care.   And if I'm not seeing any improvement I am trading him and I am getting a massive, massive return.  Or I'm moving him to wing.  lol.    When does he need to be good at D?   Literally in 10 years.  I want him to be good at D when he is 27.  Although I would want to see yearly improvement to keep him in the org.

Yakemchuk

Was Giordano a great skater at 17? 

You remember our fun with MacInnis's skating?  sending him back to school lol?

You know who was a great skater?  Kylington.  the man, the legend.  great skater.

Kid's got an insane trajectory.  His rate of improvement is way beyond these other guys.   I don't care what his skating is like right now, I care how it is compared to last year.   

You take the kid with vision, skill, and a demonstrable ability to rapidly improve.  That's Yakemchuk by miles.  Tij too actually.

• Like 1

For fun in the now, this list will evolve somewhat, I'd do something like this:

09: 1. Dickinson 2. Jiricek (outlier: Helenius)

28: 1. Artamonov 2. Misa 3.Beaudoin 4. Freij

41: 1. Pulkinnen 2. Gridin 3. Mews

62: 1. O'Reilly 2. Fischer 3. Humphreys 4. Josephson

D & C all the way, baby. C's end up wing, don't care. I know wings can't play C.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

There. I said it.

You're way off track.

I don't think skating is a potential issue with Yakemchuk, Silayev perhaps... From what I've seen, Buium is the best skater of all the D.

Also, agree on Parekh... though not enough research to say for sure...

45 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

it was strange seeing hockey players in person.  that ice is very cold.   the seats lack cushions.  

1/5 stars.

Your assessment is solid, it comes down to what we want in a 1st rounder.

We're totally on the same page here, because I would be  fine with moving Parekh to wing.  Lord knows we'll need a decent RW.   I have zero interest in solving our defensive woes solely in the draft.  Especially 1st round.   That's trades, coaching, development.    He is a +39 lol.    Whatever he is doing it is working, on both ends of the ice.    The reality of the situation is that he may Not be playing D, or the kind you want to see, but that is a choice either him or his coach is making.    

Here's the thing.  I'm not looking at this in terms of team building next year.   I'm looking at it with cold hard asset value.   Kid is talented, more talented than the others.  By a lot.  Can he play D?  At 17 I do not care.

At 19, I start to care.   And if I'm not seeing any improvement I am trading him and I am getting a massive, massive return.  Or I'm moving him to wing.  lol.    When does he need to be good at D?   Literally in 10 years.  I want him to be good at D when he is 27.  Although I would want to see yearly improvement to keep him in the org.

Yakemchuk

Was Giordano a great skater at 17? 

You remember our fun with MacInnis's skating?  sending him back to school lol?

You know who was a great skater?  Kylington.  the man, the legend.  great skater.

Kid's got an insane trajectory.  His rate of improvement is way beyond these other guys.   I don't care what his skating is like right now, I care how it is compared to last year.   

You take the kid with vision, skill, and a demonstrable ability to rapidly improve.  That's Yakemchuk by miles.  Tij too actually.

Unless we win the lottery, or someone insane drops to us, e.g. Demidov, I'd love to get both Yakemchuk and Iginla.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

For fun in the now, this list will evolve somewhat, I'd do something like this:

09: 1. Dickinson 2. Jiricek (outlier: Helenius)

28: 1. Artamonov 2. Misa 3.Beaudoin 4. Freij

41: 1. Pulkinnen 2. Gridin 3. Mews

62: 1. O'Reilly 2. Fischer 3. Humphreys 4. Josephson

D & C all the way, baby. C's end up wing, don't care. I know wings can't play C.

So, just for clarity, who is "already gone" by the time we pick at #9?

3 minutes ago, cberg said:

potential issue with Yakemchuk,

Space is always an issue making the jump. Easy enough when you should be in 1st yr midget playing 2nd year bantam, is kind of how I view him. His age group was last year. Pulkkinen is similar, but made a pro men's league.

5 hours ago, cberg said:

C'mon man... you going to pass over Demidov and Levshunov for Dickinson?  Doubtful.

Trues.  Without a list, there is no context to Dickinson at #9.  It all depends on who is available.

8 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Parekh... based on highlights and limited viewing, his wrist shot is unreal.  Will give Cole Eiserman a run for best wrist shot in this draft.  He's a great skater with the puck and loves to jump up on the play.

Defensively, he plays average X's and O's.  No elite vision and makes average reads.  Average awareness.  He's very soft too.  Only stick checks.  He plays no-contact hockey.  Below average intensity in the defensive zone.  Gets tricked easily by criss crossing opponents.  Loses assignments and coverage.  Just stands around and watching the puck sometimes.

Parekh is the most high risk high reward in the top 10 because he could put up Erik Karlsson type offense but also Erik Karlsson type defense... And if the offense doesn't translate to the NHL level, then you are left with an Erik Karlsson without the offense.

Yakemchuk... I sort of agree with conundrum that he's nearly a year older than his draft class.  He SHOULD dominate and in many ways, he does.  But since he's a year older than most prospects, then perhaps his growth trajectory is lower.  Yet, his game needs more growing.

I think he's a Jacob Trouba comparable.  They both bring the rough stuff, hits, fights, RHS RD, and aren't super slick skaters or anything.  Both aren't high end shut down D but instead, some type of hybrid enforcer but does a bit of everything else at an above average level.  Yakemchuk has a greater/smarter shot from the point and could be a PP mainstay at the NHL level.

I think we're looking at a 2/3/4 D on the depth chart.  Like Trouba, he's not Elite but he's going to be an excellent complement to a D core because of his rare combination of size and skill.  I'm not sad if we pick him but it also depends who else is available.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Parekh... based on highlights and limited viewing, his wrist shot is unreal.  Will give Cole Eiserman a run for best wrist shot in this draft.  He's a great skater with the puck and loves to jump up on the play.

Defensively, he plays average X's and O's.  No elite vision and makes average reads.  Average awareness.  He's very soft too.  Only stick checks.  He plays no-contact hockey.  Below average intensity in the defensive zone.  Gets tricked easily by criss crossing opponents.  Loses assignments and coverage.  Just stands around and watching the puck sometimes.

Parekh is the most high risk high reward in the top 10 because he could put up Erik Karlsson type offense but also Erik Karlsson type defense... And if the offense doesn't translate to the NHL level, then you are left with an Erik Karlsson without the offense.

I question the defensive vision, many aspects of defense, like position can be taught and instructed.   Very hard to convince me that this guy isn't talented enough to learn it.   

Is he high risk high reward?  yeah.

When you've got the picks that we do, and you know only the top 5 will be near guaranteed stars, you have to take that high risk high reward.  have to.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Yakemchuk... I sort of agree with conundrum that he's nearly a year older than his draft class.  He SHOULD dominate and in many ways, he does.  But since he's a year older than most prospects, then perhaps his growth trajectory is lower.  Yet, his game needs more growing.

I think he's a Jacob Trouba comparable.  They both bring the rough stuff, hits, fights, RHS RD, and aren't super slick skaters or anything.  Both aren't high end shut down D but instead, some type of hybrid enforcer but does a bit of everything else at an above average level.  Yakemchuk has a greater/smarter shot from the point and could be a PP mainstay at the NHL level.

I think we're looking at a 2/3/4 D on the depth chart.  Like Trouba, he's not Elite but he's going to be an excellent complement to a D core because of his rare combination of size and skill.  I'm not sad if we pick him but it also depends who else is available.

Well, I see it as a half-truth.  He's 6 months older than Parekh, as an example.   He's got that extra season in junior, yes, but with very limited minutes.   I see this mattering maybe slightly more with forwards.   But with D, their development is so much further out I think it really loses its relevance.   You're looking for trajectory and you're looking for no plateauing.   Here's the thing.   Of these 7 or so D that we think are special in this draft, about half of them will show zero improvement next year.   basically.  Just how it goes.   And whoever drafted that half will get a little nervous.    Dude's showing an insane improvement curve.   

If we can all agree on one thing here, it's that the current draft eligibility ages are ridiculous.   We wouldn't be having 90% of these debates if they just pushed the ages out a year like a normal sports league.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I question the defensive vision, many aspects of defense, like position can be taught and instructed.   Very hard to convince me that this guy isn't talented enough to learn it.   

Is he high risk high reward?  yeah.

When you've got the picks that we do, and you know only the top 5 will be near guaranteed stars, you have to take that high risk high reward.  have to.

For sure man.  The hardest thing to do in hockey is not edges, hitting, boxing out in front of the net, etc.  It's not even reading the play.  The hardest thing to do in hockey is put the puck in the net.  It's scoring.  Of course, you can't score if you can't other things at the same time but to score like Parekh, it's another level.  

So that said, he's got the hardest part of hockey figured out.  Now, let's work on the rest of hockey.

If you want to call him one of the three most elite D in the draft, I get it.  I just see a player who is so far behind on on the defensive side of the game that he's starting from way back compared to the other guys.

14 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Well, I see it as a half-truth.  He's 6 months older than Parekh, as an example.   He's got that extra season in junior, yes, but with very limited minutes.   I see this mattering maybe slightly more with forwards.   But with D, their development is so much further out I think it really loses its relevance.   You're looking for trajectory and you're looking for no plateauing.   Here's the thing.   Of these 7 or so D that we think are special in this draft, about half of them will show zero improvement next year.   basically.  Just how it goes.   And whoever drafted that half will get a little nervous.    Dude's showing an insane improvement curve.   

If we can all agree on one thing here, it's that the current draft eligibility ages are ridiculous.   We wouldn't be having 90% of these debates if they just pushed the ages out a year like a normal sports league.

Yakemchuk can also score with the best of them so he's got that figured out too.  I get it if you think he's one of the three most elite D in the draft.  We're talking Shea Weber and Chris Pronger level impact if it all works out for him.  He could be the next Dion Phaneuf before Phaneuf went off the rails.  I like Yakemchuk.  Depending on who's available at #9, I don't mind if the Flames take him.  I would take Buium and Dickinson before Yakemchuk but if both are gone, then sure pick Yakemchuk.  I wouldn't be mad if we took Yakemchuk ahead of Silayev or Jiricek.

Even if we took Yakemchuk ahead of Catton, Iginla, Helenius... his types are rare.  

14 hours ago, cberg said:

C'mon man... you going to pass over Demidov and Levshunov for Dickinson?  Doubtful.

It won't be my list. lol

Just a vast guess at who might take whom. There's normally someone no one saw coming in the top 10.

So this is entirely guesswork. If I were to explain, this post would never end...

SJ-Celebrini

CHI-Levshunov

ANA-Buium

CBJ-Lindstrom/Catton

MTL-Demidov

ARI-Catton/Helenius

OTT-Parekh/Dickinson

SEA-Silayev/Dickinson

CGY-

ARI could well go with Eiserman. Lindstrom's IR history could be a factor. The fitness tests and meetings will all play into results, undoubtedly...if Parekh is the fall guy, we should let him fall. It'll depend on whether teams think Quinn Hughes or Tyson Barrie.

So at D, I'd take Jiricek if all but Parekh are gone. But Helenius/Catton/Lindstrom change the conversation.

We'll get a solid prospect. Then complain about who we should have taken instead. lol

• Like 1