2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

The Wings have signed the elder Buium (2021 36th oa), Shai, to an ELC. He'll report to GR on a PTO.

He was Zeev's D partner this season. His 3 seasons in Denver included 2 National Championships. This year and his NCHC All-Rookie Team award season in 2021-22, which included fellow Wings prospects Carter Mazur (2021 70th oa) and Antti Tuomisto (2019 35th oa).

Zeev's a great player. Just be wary that so is his now ex D-partner (7-29/36pts, +33). Shai's now 21 and topped out at 6'3 to 6'4 depending on who you believe, and around 220lbs. So Zeev (6'/180ish) could have size growth pdq. Unless it was the mailman...

Both products of Shattuck, because...you know...who isn't? lol

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The Wings have signed the elder Buium (2021 36th oa), Shai, to an ELC. He'll report to GR on a PTO.

He was Zeev's D partner this season. His 3 seasons in Denver included 2 National Championships. This year and his NCHC All-Rookie Team award season in 2021-22, which included fellow Wings prospects Carter Mazur (2021 70th oa) and Antti Tuomisto (2019 35th oa).

Zeev's a great player. Just be wary that so is his now ex D-partner (7-29/36pts, +33). Shai's now 21 and topped out at 6'3 to 6'4 depending on who you believe, and around 220lbs. So Zeev (6'/180ish) could have size growth pdq. Unless it was the mailman...

Both products of Shattuck, because...you know...who isn't? lol

Do you think Buium would sign this summer or go back for his sophomore season?

Wonder what role his brother leaving Denver plays into it.

I like these results,

https://thehockeynews.com/news/nhl-sour-rankings-mock-drafting-dream-picks-for-every-non-playoff-team

My own comments,

SJS - Celebrini - no brainer

CHI - Demidov - makes sense but maybe they go with Levshunov and throw the whole draft out of whack.

ANA - Levshunov - makes sense... Traded away RHS RD Drysdale... They get one back here.  Plus, ANA is stacked with C and Wingers.  They need the D to start coming along.

CBJ - Catton - CBJ and MTL need everything.  Can argue Lindstrom and Catton go next in no particular order.  Maybe one of them takes Dickinson

MTL - Lindstrom - hard to pass on Lindstrom here.  But if CBJ takes Lindstrom then MTL should take Dickinson.  MTL has drafted a lot of RHS RD in the past few drafts so it's time to take a LHS LD

SLC - Parekh - I feel Salt Lake will take a RHS RD since they showed interest in Rasmus Andersson at TDL.  Parekh lands here.

OTT - Yakemchuk - reaches for RHS RD because the whole world knows they want/need RHS RD.  I would be surprised if they don't draft either Parekh or Yakemchuk

SEA - Silayev - Kraken has need for D so either Silayev or Buium goes here.

CGY - Buium - any mock draft where the Flames end up with Buium, I'm happy about.  If Buium is gone by 9, then the Flames should take Silayev.  If only Yakemchuk is left on the board, then this is where the Flames should consider Tij.

Note: Dickinson falls in the draft.  The more I see/read, the more he feels like the next Hanifin.  I'm okay to go with Buium (Quinn Hughes comparable) and Silayev for that rare 6'-7" size.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Do you think Buium would sign this summer or go back for his sophomore season?

Wonder what role his brother leaving Denver plays into it.

I wonder the same. Likely best for him to stay in school. Denver's a great program, though next year is a retool.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

If his brother is really good, could it inflate his stock by playing with him, and this year's bro isn't as good? Or he's the real deal?

I doubt that it is that so much. It just helped his progression. Both have always been good players. Zeev has more O flair, Shai is better defensively. But he's also older and a fair bit bigger. Both should be Top 4 NHLers. Just a question of being a top 2. Similar dev paths, Zeev has had the better talent around in his age group, but not by a lot.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I wonder the same. Likely best for him to stay in school. Denver's a great program, though next year is a retool.

It likely comes down to which team takes him and what the opportunity looks like, in the immediacy.

If the Flames took him, he could look at LD and see zero quality NHLers. Maybe that entices him.

I’m not as familiar with NIL in college hockey as I am with football. NFL draft this weel

and there’s talk the mid to late rounds are very thin as NIL is keeping guys in school. A big NIL cheque for a football player is a mill. I can’t see Denver having enough NIL to keep him from signing an ELC, but could be wrong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I like these results,

https://thehockeynews.com/news/nhl-sour-rankings-mock-drafting-dream-picks-for-every-non-playoff-team

My own comments,

SJS - Celebrini - no brainer

CHI - Demidov - makes sense but maybe they go with Levshunov and throw the whole draft out of whack.

ANA - Levshunov - makes sense... Traded away RHS RD Drysdale... They get one back here.  Plus, ANA is stacked with C and Wingers.  They need the D to start coming along.

CBJ - Catton - CBJ and MTL need everything.  Can argue Lindstrom and Catton go next in no particular order.  Maybe one of them takes Dickinson

MTL - Lindstrom - hard to pass on Lindstrom here.  But if CBJ takes Lindstrom then MTL should take Dickinson.  MTL has drafted a lot of RHS RD in the past few drafts so it's time to take a LHS LD

SLC - Parekh - I feel Salt Lake will take a RHS RD since they showed interest in Rasmus Andersson at TDL.  Parekh lands here.

OTT - Yakemchuk - reaches for RHS RD because the whole world knows they want/need RHS RD.  I would be surprised if they don't draft either Parekh or Yakemchuk

SEA - Silayev - Kraken has need for D so either Silayev or Buium goes here.

CGY - Buium - any mock draft where the Flames end up with Buium, I'm happy about.  If Buium is gone by 9, then the Flames should take Silayev.  If only Yakemchuk is left on the board, then this is where the Flames should consider Tij.

Note: Dickinson falls in the draft.  The more I see/read, the more he feels like the next Hanifin.  I'm okay to go with Buium (Quinn Hughes comparable) and Silayev for that rare 6'-7" size.

My take on a few teams picking before the Flames

CBJ- I think they would take Lindstrom. Catton or Helenius could be in play too. This pick will be made by a new GM so there’s no track record to project off of. It can be argued they go Lindstrom because the Jackets have a lot of small skill on their team and in the pipeline.

MTL- the hardest teams to predict are the ones that have had a boatload of picks, Montreal is that. With Guhle/Hutson on the left and Reinbacher/Mailloux on the right I don’t see D being the pick. I think they’d take Iginla. I think it’s a pick their head coach would really like.

Utah- another tough one to project. They’ve coveted size early in the past two drafts. Geekie/Lamoreux, Simashev/But. Armstrong was AGM in STL, they were a big hockey club, it looks like he’s looking to build something similar. Dickinson would make sense here. 

OTT- first draft for Staios. Like you said they need RD. Maybe they address that via trade and go bpa, which is hard to pinpoint as this franchise has made a lot of picks in recent years. If I had to guess I would pair them up with Parekh.

SEA- agreed here. The biggest annoyance to the Kraken picking ahead of the Flames is that it’s highly likely they look at D. Francis prioritized D early in the draft when he was with the Canes. Think this is the draft where they target a defender with their top pick. Buium makes sense.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

My take on a few teams picking before the Flames

CBJ- I think they would take Lindstrom. Catton or Helenius could be in play too. This pick will be made by a new GM so there’s no track record to project off of. It can be argued they go Lindstrom because the Jackets have a lot of small skill on their team and in the pipeline.

MTL- the hardest teams to predict are the ones that have had a boatload of picks, Montreal is that. With Guhle/Hutson on the left and Reinbacher/Mailloux on the right I don’t see D being the pick. I think they’d take Iginla. I think it’s a pick their head coach would really like.

Utah- another tough one to project. They’ve coveted size early in the past two drafts. Geekie/Lamoreux, Simashev/But. Armstrong was AGM in STL, they were a big hockey club, it looks like he’s looking to build something similar. Dickinson would make sense here. 

OTT- first draft for Staios. Like you said they need RD. Maybe they address that via trade and go bpa, which is hard to pinpoint as this franchise has made a lot of picks in recent years. If I had to guess I would pair them up with Parekh.

SEA- agreed here. The biggest annoyance to the Kraken picking ahead of the Flames is that it’s highly likely they look at D. Francis prioritized D early in the draft when he was with the Canes. Think this is the draft where they target a defender with their top pick. Buium makes sense.

is Utah changing their staff?

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

is Utah changing their staff?

Not initially at least. entire franchise (players, personnel, reserve list and hockey ops staff) are transferring to Salt Lake. 

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Friday on 32 thoughts podcast, Friedman said that Utah wants continuity and it is looking like Armstrong will continue as GM and Tourigny as coach 

has Armstrong been good? For me, I'd gut that organization, they've been so bad. 

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

has Armstrong been good? For me, I'd gut that organization, they've been so bad. 

That’s fair.

Hes done a good job at stockpiling picks. They just have to hit on them though.

Arizona is a tough job. Build a roster on a tight budget. Utah apparently is going to be a cap team. Expectations will be quite high I think, if they fall short, a change could happen

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Agree, MTL has enough high end D prospects that they shouldn't go with a D again here.  Taking Iginla is a flashy move and MTL has not been afraid of flashy moves in recent years.  I hope this happens so the Flames don't ever have to wonder "what if" since the Flames never had the opportunity to pick Tij at 9.

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This really is the meat of the order as far as the Flames are concerned.

Assuming CBJ and MTL take Forwards, this means Parekh, Dickinson, Buium, and Silayev are expected to still be available here.  And so, assuming Parekh is gone because of RHS, then the Flames have a choice between one of Dickinson, Buium, and Silayev. 

Worst case is all the D are gone and Catton falls and the Flames take Catton.

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Worst case is all the D are gone and Catton falls and the Flames take Catton.

The worst case is the Flames pull a Honzek/Jankowski.

And based on recent history, it is also uncomfortably likely.  Flames haven't got the 1st round right since 2016 imho.

You can debate 2017, 2020.   And that's totally fine, not looking for a fight there.

But, the chances of them going completely and wildly off the board, are much higher than we'd like.   Maybe in the 50% range based on recent.

We are all worried about drafting Tij, and that's a debate for sure, but at the end of the day, I'm worried about drafting a guy rated in the 2nd round lol.   We should all just lower our expectations a bit and pray that they do something reasonable with the pick.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

And based on recent history, it is also uncomfortably likely.  Flames haven't got the 1st round right since 2016 imho.

You can debate 2017, 2020.   And that's totally fine, not looking for a fight there.

But, the chances of them going completely and wildly off the board, are much higher than we'd like.   Maybe in the 50% range based on recent.

We are all worried about drafting Tij, and that's a debate for sure, but at the end of the day, I'm worried about drafting a guy rated in the 2nd round lol.   We should all just lower our expectations a bit and pray that they do something reasonable with the pick.

When was the last time we drafted an overrated player in the first round?

Last decade, under a GM that made a bunch of miscalculations?

Clutch pearls and you will be okay.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

When was the last time we drafted an overrated player in the first round?

Last decade, under a GM that made a bunch of miscalculations?

Clutch pearls and you will be okay.

that's only because if we talk about anything other than last decade, the response is "way too soon to make a call"

that's all fine but I remember your reaction to Honzek quite clearly.

The "the Flames like to go off the board" narrative is one of the many really dumb ones that consistently float around here.  Jankowski was the outlier and not the trend and even then that one gets pretty misconstrued around here. 

I can very much understand they don't always pick who someone wants but if you go back and look at the first round I think your going to be hard pressed to show the Flames making mistakes.  2nd rounder hasn't been their friend but in the first round they've done well. 

I think the imbedded criticism in that is more that people wanted them to have more picks and for the picks to be lower in the first round, which is a more reasonable argument/expectation then looking at the draft record IMO. I think the Flames are one of the better drafting teams in the NHL. 

Final Mock 2023 NHL Draft: Intrigue after 1st 4 picks | NHL.com

Both writers had Honzek at 16

Sam Cosentino's 2023 Mock Draft: Plenty of intrigue after No. 1 (sportsnet.ca)

Cosentino had Honzek at 16

Scout’s Analysis: Final ranking of the top 80 prospects for the 2023 NHL Draft (sportsnet.ca)

Honzek ranked 12th

NHL Mock Draft 2023: Connor Bedard goes first, but how does rest of first round shake out? - The Athletic

Honzek ranked 9th.

But then

2023 NHL mock draft: Final predictions for all 32 first-round picks, latest intel - Yahoo Sports

Ranked 21st

2023 NHL mock draft: Top 4 is locked in, but who follows? | theScore.com

19th

2023 NHL mock draft: Projections for every first-round pick - ESPN

30th

Conclusion Sam Honzek was not an off the board pick, there was also very little consensus after #1.  I do find it unfortunate that a guy who was barely healthy this past season is getting written off so fast, and partially from the people who give Sam Bennett 3 million excuses on why he didn't pan out here.  He wasn't my guy at the draft but my hopes of the team excelling outweighs my desire to be right on a message board 10 years later, I can also admit to being wrong when players I would take don't pan out.

12 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Final Mock 2023 NHL Draft: Intrigue after 1st 4 picks | NHL.com

Both writers had Honzek at 16

Sam Cosentino's 2023 Mock Draft: Plenty of intrigue after No. 1 (sportsnet.ca)

Cosentino had Honzek at 16

Scout’s Analysis: Final ranking of the top 80 prospects for the 2023 NHL Draft (sportsnet.ca)

Honzek ranked 12th

NHL Mock Draft 2023: Connor Bedard goes first, but how does rest of first round shake out? - The Athletic

Honzek ranked 9th.

But then

2023 NHL mock draft: Final predictions for all 32 first-round picks, latest intel - Yahoo Sports

Ranked 21st

2023 NHL mock draft: Top 4 is locked in, but who follows? | theScore.com

19th

2023 NHL mock draft: Projections for every first-round pick - ESPN

30th

Conclusion Sam Honzek was not an off the board pick, there was also very little consensus after #1.  I do find it unfortunate that a guy who was barely healthy this past season is getting written off so fast, and partially from the people who give Sam Bennett 3 million excuses on why he didn't pan out here.  He wasn't my guy at the draft but my hopes of the team excelling outweighs my desire to be right on a message board 10 years later, I can also admit to being wrong when players I would take don't pan out.

I agree. As I've said before I think Honzek will be fine.

Hes what 19/20?

Just needs time 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Well, worse case is we get the right player but he trends Sam Bennett.

59 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well, worse case is we get the right player but he trends Sam Bennett.

worst case, we decide he's ready just because he can play in the NHL in relation to our roster and opt for the shiny new toy instead of developing them. 

id prefer they dominate and maybe work on the missing parts of their games in a league where it won't matter and they won't get sat for making a mistake. Develop into a man, add one more year of man bod, then possibly play a year in the AHL, more rounding out their games. 

development .

What players have we done well developing? And which ones might we consider failures? We need to learn from both. 

Two off the top:

Mange

Dube (earlier results, but started to move him around the roster too much)

I get every player is different, but I think we need to start developing the players into what they want to be and what we want them to be. Hone them!