2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So, it's speculation given that several quote insiders quote were saying a 1st plus Holtz plus.  And that Markstrom was asked if he would waive to go to NJ.  That would have been pretty risky for NJ at the time, if it was true.  Possibly too late to save the season.  End up having given away a lotto pick.  Yes, it may have been the 2025 pick.  Or it could have been 2024.  Will never know for sure.

LA could get in on any bidding war or be the only team interested in Marky.  They are built to win now.  It would have to be a 1st this year plus Kaliyev.  If they want retention, then they need to add another pick.  LA is built not to score, so the G is uber important to them.  Marky/Rittich would not be a bad tandem, and Rittich may still be a cheap re-sign.

that was all pre-trade deadline though.   We knew the spike in Markstrom's performance wouldn't last, and it didn't.   He would need to  have another year like that, and we'd have to wait until trade deadline, for him to have that value again and even then it would be very hard with him a year older.

But hey, there have been crazier trades, never ruling anything out.    But it's a bit astonishing that we didn't take it.

One thing I did realize after:  It probably actually helped our first pick placement, keeping him.

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Are you talking Markstrom?  Or Andersson?  Or both?

Of the two, Andersson has the higher trade value.  He's 28.  Signed for 2 more at a very reasonable deal.  And he's a coveted RHS RD who can step into a complementary top pair role.  Very difficult to find RHS RD.

Sure, BUF can just draft a RD this draft and then wait 3-4 years for the prospect to be NHL ready... But that might be 3-4 more years of missed playoffs and the end of Adam's job.  It just feels like BUF is the team to take total advantage of right now by dangling Andersson.

Mr. Andersson is sort of our last big play.    Outside of things like Coronato, Honzek, Wolf.     I'm not too excited about trading Wolf.   But I would trade Coronato or Honzek, for future equivalent picks or better.   Or as part of a package for a top, top D prospect.

Of the vets we have, yeah it's kind of Andersson and that's it, unless we want to get into eating salary.

6 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Mr. Andersson is sort of our last big play.    Outside of things like Coronato, Honzek, Wolf.     I'm not too excited about trading Wolf.   But I would trade Coronato or Honzek, for future equivalent picks or better.   Or as part of a package for a top, top D prospect.

Of the vets we have, yeah it's kind of Andersson and that's it, unless we want to get into eating salary.

Coronato isn't looking very good.  But I remember Pelletier also looked iffy in his first year but he bulked up hardcore and now looks like a regular.  I'm not ready to give up on Coronato just yet.  He can be a "RW Mangiapane" in about a year or three.  The Flames aren't in a rush so, just be patient.

Honzek, same thing.  We need to see him in AHL for full healthy year next season.  He has top like potential still.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

sounds like you're downplaying Weegar a bit. Maybe he's not worth his deal? What would he get on the open market? 

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

sounds like you're downplaying Weegar a bit. Maybe he's not worth his deal? What would he get on the open market? 

Weegar would easily get his current deal if he were a UFA this year.

19 goals at 6.25 is incredible value. Yes it is a career year, but I would rather have him at 6.25 than Hanifin at 7.3 for example 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Coronato isn't looking very good.  But I remember Pelletier also looked iffy in his first year but he bulked up hardcore and now looks like a regular.  I'm not ready to give up on Coronato just yet.  He can be a "RW Mangiapane" in about a year or three.  The Flames aren't in a rush so, just be patient.

Honzek, same thing.  We need to see him in AHL for full healthy year next season.  He has top like potential still.

I think Coronato will make a big jump next year. He wasn't put in the right situations much this year to showcase his strengths. 4th line play and no PP time(although that has changed as after late) Matt's got a great shot and good hockey sense. His skating has gotten better and his overall battle  He is not a big kid so that hold him back a bit. He should come back a little bigger and stronger and that will help elevate his game and confidence.

We are in need of a top 2 rw forwards and withhim and Kuzmenko should fill those spots.

Coleman is right there too.

32 minutes ago, Otown72 said:

I think Coronato will make a big jump next year. He wasn't put in the right situations much this year to showcase his strengths. 4th line play and no PP time(although that has changed as after late) Matt's got a great shot and good hockey sense. His skating has gotten better and his overall battle  He is not a big kid so that hold him back a bit. He should come back a little bigger and stronger and that will help elevate his game and confidence.

We are in need of a top 2 rw forwards and withhim and Kuzmenko should fill those spots.

Coleman is right there too.

From what I can tell so far, he's rushing plays.  On the bad side, that's very "Sam Bennett" in his first couple of seasons.  Bennett looks around with the puck and when nothing is there, then he switches to the low percentage jam play in front of the net and never scores.

Coronato looks, and when the passing options aren't there, he then tries a bad angle prayer at the net that never goes in for him.  And then possession is lost.

I want to see him fake a shot or pass, keep the puck along the side boards for as long as he can to buy time for teammates.  For whatever reason, he doesn't want the puck that long.

Picking 9th.

Gonna get a very good player. 

With Seattle picking ahead of Calgary, I think the biggest annoyance would be that I think they’ll be looking at defence. 

That could leave Catton on the board at 9th, which would be very exciting.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Picking 9th.

Gonna get a very good player. 

With Seattle picking ahead of Calgary, I think the biggest annoyance would be that I think they’ll be looking at defence. 

That could leave Catton on the board at 9th, which would be very exciting.

I think ARZ and OTT are also looking at D, especially RHS RD.

ARZ rumoured to be interested in Rasmus Andersson.

OTT rumoured to be interested in Chychrun for Erik Karlsson.

Both teams now have the opportunity to draft Parekh and Yakemchuk.  If SEA goes with a D... ya, that's going to leave someone like Catton on the board for us.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

From what I can tell so far, he's rushing plays.  On the bad side, that's very "Sam Bennett" in his first couple of seasons.  Bennett looks around with the puck and when nothing is there, then he switches to the low percentage jam play in front of the net and never scores.

Coronato looks, and when the passing options aren't there, he then tries a bad angle prayer at the net that never goes in for him.  And then possession is lost.

I want to see him fake a shot or pass, keep the puck along the side boards for as long as he can to buy time for teammates.  For whatever reason, he doesn't want the puck that long.

It's difficult for him to play one game with Kadri then the next bunch with Rooney.

He's rushing plays becuase he only gets 10 minutes max.

There is no incentive for them to start him in the AHL next year.

He will be ready.

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's difficult for him to play one game with Kadri then the next bunch with Rooney.

He's rushing plays becuase he only gets 10 minutes max.

There is no incentive for them to start him in the AHL next year.

He will be ready.

should be in the A 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I think ARZ and OTT are also looking at D, especially RHS RD.

ARZ rumoured to be interested in Rasmus Andersson.

OTT rumoured to be interested in Chychrun for Erik Karlsson.

Both teams now have the opportunity to draft Parekh and Yakemchuk.  If SEA goes with a D... ya, that's going to leave someone like Catton on the board for us.

Who is ARZ? 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

should be in the A 

Let's not confuse Coronato with Zary.

Coronato had 2 years at Harvard, playing against men.

Zary had two healthy season in the AHL.

They are one year apart in age.

Saying that, the reality is we have too many wingers and not enogh C/W.

Coronato at least looked good in his last 5.

Zary can play C, but should he?

Pelletier couldn't even hold the spot here.
If we got rid of Mangiapane, we would likely have a better balance:

Zary-Kadri-Kuzmenko

Huberdeau-Sharky-Pospisil

Coleman-Backlund-Coronato

I struggled with the idea of Coronato with Uberdeau, since they stuggle defensively.

You want Coronato to learn to generate from your own zone on the rush?

Play him with Backlund.

Heck, put him on LW.

He not going to learn hockey in the AHL playing with our lesser forwards.

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This is the type of player Calgary is missing and desperately needs. Someone who can gain the zone with ease and push defenders back. Hopefully he is there at 9.

He's ranked within our number, is he not?

If we were to pick him and Iggy Jr goes next, would that PO the fans too much?

I'm really hoping we don't have to make the choice because Tij is gone or we win the lotto.

SEA would do well to go after Tij.

Right now, they are a bunch of nobodies and the name would light up the town.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Let's not confuse Coronato with Zary.

Coronato had 2 years at Harvard, playing against men.

Zary had two healthy season in the AHL.

They are one year apart in age.

Saying that, the reality is we have too many wingers and not enogh C/W.

Coronato at least looked good in his last 5.

Zary can play C, but should he?

Pelletier couldn't even hold the spot here.
If we got rid of Mangiapane, we would likely have a better balance:

Zary-Kadri-Kuzmenko

Huberdeau-Sharky-Pospisil

Coleman-Backlund-Coronato

I struggled with the idea of Coronato with Uberdeau, since they stuggle defensively.

You want Coronato to learn to generate from your own zone on the rush?

Play him with Backlund.

Heck, put him on LW.

He not going to learn hockey in the AHL playing with our lesser forwards.

then we don't have enough depth in the A. If he's doing Bennett things then he's not NHL. Bennett needed the A to get his timing right. We probably play Coronato for a few years then trade him like Benny.

theyre sending a few to the A for a playoff run. He'll have guys to play with then.

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

yeah that's fair, it's just a salary question.   he was the "unless we want to start eating salaries" bit for me. 

he good.

Just now, jjgallow said:

yeah that's fair, it's just a salary question.   he was the "unless we want to start eating salaries" bit for me. 

he good.

ya, I think he's priced ok... 

and if he was on the market could fetch a bit.... but I like him. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He's ranked within our number, is he not?

If we were to pick him and Iggy Jr goes next, would that PO the fans too much?

I'm really hoping we don't have to make the choice because Tij is gone or we win the lotto.

SEA would do well to go after Tij.

Right now, they are a bunch of nobodies and the name would light up the town.

Catton is better than Tij IMO. Catton is also more likely to play C in the NHL. I don’t see Tij playing C in the NHL.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

then we don't have enough depth in the A. If he's doing Bennett things then he's not NHL. Bennett needed the A to get his timing right. We probably play Coronato for a few years then trade him like Benny.

theyre sending a few to the A for a playoff run. He'll have guys to play with then.

Bennett was a natural C.

Bennett was too young to play in the AHL, so it was NHL or back to junior.

His shot was hampered by shoulder recivery.

Janko was a better 2 way C, so he never gained the spot here.

I think it's too narrow view to say Bennett would have developed in the AHL better.

He would have needed to stay one more year in junior.

Then he may have played in the A for a year.

That year the Heat was full of the failed picks from the Feaster era.

Not sure what he learns there.

This year, they did the right things with Coronato by more AHL than NHL.

That was this year.

He should get to have some fun in the AHL playoffs.

May not be a long run, since they really has problems late season.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Catton is better than Tij IMO. Catton is also more likely to play C in the NHL. I don’t see Tij playing C in the NHL.

I never suggested that Tij was better and I would be a little miffed if we drafted him.

Can't say I know who we should pick, but Tij is not my first suggestion.

I don't want the sentimental fave, I want the best player.

48 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This is the type of player Calgary is missing and desperately needs. Someone who can gain the zone with ease and push defenders back. Hopefully he is there at 9.

Solid smart player.  Wish he had a bigger frame though.  Is Nick Suzuki a good comparable?

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Solid smart player.  Wish he had a bigger frame though.  Is Nick Suzuki a good comparable?

I think he is a better skater than Nick Suzuki. Point is probably a better comparable.