2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

that's the kind of pessimism we need!!!

im all about being as down as possible because opposites happen for me.

I lost the lottery tonight!!! I lost the lottery!!! only $70M

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

im all about being as down as possible because opposites happen for me.

I lost the lottery tonight!!! I lost the lottery!!! only $70M

my wife bought the tickets for that, because she's luckier ( for example, she found me )

• Haha 1

Met mine on Bumble! 🤣 I got lucky...

I do wonder about the draft lotto if it's fixed? I mean, Chicago, Dallas, Toronto, Edmonton... I think the Rangers even won it... Jersey. I dunno. Tough call.

i still think they should just throw 16 loser balls in for the sharks, then 15 for the Hawks, then 14 to the next... 

They can keep pulling balls, then if repeat balls come out, it goes to the order of the next round? It would be a true lottery...

you get two sharks in a row, they get the spot in round one and two. And keep going... once a team is out of balls it diverts to their standing in subsequent rounds...

no weighted balls. No weird math equations... the Lotto would then span nearly all seven rounds if the balls come out in differing orders. Just for the teams that don't make the playoffs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I didn't catch who wins the tie breaker. Are the Flames guaranteed the 9th place odds in the lotto? Or can they leap NJD still? 

Regulation Wins is the first tie-breaker.  NJD currently has 33.  Flames have 31.  (SEA has 27).

Therefore no way for the Flames to be 10th now.  We need SEA to get 1-point more than the Flames on Thursday to move up to 8th.  Flames play SJS at home while SEA plays MIN on the road.  In other words, it's 98% chance Flames go into the lottery at #9.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Regulation Wins is the first tie-breaker.  NJD currently has 33.  Flames have 31.  (SEA has 27).

Therefore no way for the Flames to be 10th now.  We need SEA to get 1-point more than the Flames on Thursday to move up to 8th.  Flames play SJS at home while SEA plays MIN on the road.  In other words, it's 98% chance Flames go into the lottery at #9.

Flames are 9th. It's pretty much cast in bedrock. It really makes little difference. Someone falls.

The real difference, for me, is pushing our other selections back a bit. Even then, there's a lot there.

The "NHL scouting" list that @Thebrewcrew attached is a list. lol

Connelly is really that good. I can't argue. He'll go within 20, if not 15. Some USNTDP guys ranked so low surprises me. Those are national tryouts. If you miss the cut, you're in the USHL. So their Dmen look underrated. Strahan and Emery are solid defenders. I have no idea why Hutson is rated so low. As well as the O's Fibigr.

That block of Dmen at the top of rd 2 should include those 2, and Lukas Fischer. Maybe Brunicke. Mews should be higher. Elick, Ralph and Gill should be in that horde.

But within that grouping of dmen, the Flames have to take one of them. My preference runs Hutson, Fibigr, Strahan, Fischer. But it's skewed, because I've seen them the most.

It gives a great idea of how deep that second tier of dmen is.

I'd probably focus on pounding out dmen in this draft. They have these things every year. lol Play the strengths.

BUF fired their entire coaching staff yesterday.  Kevyn Adams also was quiet last summer.

So would this year be different?  Are they tired of missing the playoffs for 13 straight years?  Would BUF be motivated to move their 11th pick for immediate help like Rasmus Andersson?

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

BUF fired their entire coaching staff yesterday.  Kevyn Adams also was quiet last summer.

So would this year be different?  Are they tired of missing the playoffs for 13 straight years?  Would BUF be motivated to move their 11th pick for immediate help like Rasmus Andersson?

Outside of annual playoff failures, it is easy to imagine several teams will be highly motivated to escape the rebuild doldrums with vets, and proven players, including Buffalo, Ottawa, maybe NJ and especially Arizona/Utah.  Many of these teams have lots of $$s for UFAs/RFAs, as do the Flames.  I anticipate there will be major shifting of personnel and trades.  Time for playoff fun, but as soon as the lottery is done (in 2-3 weeks) let the trades begin...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Some insiders are trying to link Markstrom to BT and the Leafs this summer.  Depends on what the Leafs do with Samsonov.  Could Markstrom land TOR's 22nd overall?  Or maybe a 2nd round pick with no salary retention?

I don’t think the Flames are getting a 1st

for Markstrom.

Even the NJ deal, likely didn’t include a first and IMO that’s why it was nixed.

I think we all need to prepare for the return to be a 2nd. I would be ok with a 2nd and Turcotte from LA. Bet on a youngster needing a change of scenery, also likely heading for waiver eligibility which could make him expendable.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

for Markstrom.

Even the NJ deal, likely didn’t include a first and IMO that’s why it was nixed.

I think we all need to prepare for the return to be a 2nd. I would be ok with a 2nd and Turcotte from LA. Bet on a youngster needing a change of scenery, also likely heading for waiver eligibility which could make him expendable.

Turcotte seems like a total bust.  Was there some injury post-draft that derailed his career or what happened to him?

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

They have a lot of good young D, could be a good forward and goalie they need.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

for Markstrom.

They are IF Calgary retains to make it work for a team that really needs him. 

47 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

They have a lot of good young D, could be a good forward and goalie they need.

They are IF Calgary retains to make it work for a team that really needs him. 

I don’t think retention has that much pull, also don’t believe a goalie with average stats is going to generate the offers people believe.  

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Some insiders are trying to link Markstrom to BT and the Leafs this summer.  Depends on what the Leafs do with Samsonov.  Could Markstrom land TOR's 22nd overall?  Or maybe a 2nd round pick with no salary retention?

there is only one GM in this league right now who would give a 1st for Markstrom.

And that's the one.

Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I don’t think retention has that much pull, also don’t believe a goalie with average stats is going to generate the offers people believe.  

I don't think people see him as average. Sure his numbers are dropping, but that's also after only having 2 top4 D on the roster and one that is only in his second year or possibly being a top4 in Kylington. I wonder if Kylington is a top4 or a #5?

I think he's lost the will to play in Calgary. But I don't know, just know the play has dropped after the team got further out of contention... could be other factors, but I think he's better than average... he's even better than good.

that also depends on philosophy, as I think he's a product of a crap team in front of him, and its relative.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Turcotte seems like a total bust.  Was there some injury post-draft that derailed his career or what happened to him?

He might be, but I think it’s worth him getting a change of scenery before making that declaration.

Not all that different than a Miromanov really. He’s quite a bit younger, might be something there, might not. Funny enough Miromanov is the same age as Hanifin.

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Another GM that refuses to address goaltending. Both them and NJ are stunningly blind to G being their major weakness. Completely threw Levi to the wolves without a life preserver.

Both GMs just fire everyone else for their own, ummm, shortcomings, shall we call them?

G has been an issue for years with both teams. Yet they can't seem to admit it. Fitzgerald even goes so far as to have a public outburst about having to pay a steep price for goaltending. The same Tom Fitzgerald, mediocre hockey player, that fired his coach for not being able to play net, I guess.

What a loser. If I were Conroy, I'd just call him and say, "So Tom, everyone knows what that stupid Satoshi Nakamoto was about. Never ask me about Markstrom's availability again. YOU Blockchained ME over with my guy. Next time you want to tell stories, tell the right one. Worst mistake of my life was asking my guy to waive, because I took you at your word. But I'm not crying to the media about it".

click

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Another GM that refuses to address goaltending. Both them and NJ are stunningly blind to G being their major weakness. Completely threw Levi to the wolves without a life preserver.

Both GMs just fire everyone else for their own, ummm, shortcomings, shall we call them?

G has been an issue for years with both teams. Yet they can't seem to admit it. Fitzgerald even goes so far as to have a public outburst about having to pay a steep price for goaltending. The same Tom Fitzgerald, mediocre hockey player, that fired his coach for not being able to play net, I guess.

What a loser. If I were Conroy, I'd just call him and say, "So Tom, everyone knows what that stupid Satoshi Nakamoto was about. Never ask me about Markstrom's availability again. YOU Blockchained ME over with my guy. Next time you want to tell stories, tell the right one. Worst mistake of my life was asking my guy to waive, because I took you at your word. But I'm not crying to the media about it".

click

I wonder if there might be some salvageable staff.

I mean I still prefer poaching detroit but sometimes you gotta mix it up

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

click

Agree that several GMs incompetent and are totally unrealistic about goaltending.  As far as the conversation, unfortunately you have to bite your tongue, because you still have to work with them.  Fitz.. is probably po'd about that Sharangovich giveaway too... 

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don't think people see him as average. Sure his numbers are dropping, but that's also after only having 2 top4 D on the roster and one that is only in his second year or possibly being a top4 in Kylington. I wonder if Kylington is a top4 or a #5?

I think he's lost the will to play in Calgary. But I don't know, just know the play has dropped after the team got further out of contention... could be other factors, but I think he's better than average... he's even better than good.

that also depends on philosophy, as I think he's a product of a crap team in front of him, and its relative.

How do GM's see him though.  Sure people may want him, do they want him and only him?  Do they have a price they will limit themselves to before moving on to the next one.  And also important is the control the player has, once you limit the suitors you limit the bids.  Who goes to an auction and places the most they can afford as top bid.  Having average stats this year (bad team in front or not) after a bad year last year, mid 30's with 2 years remaining doesn't scream to me like someone GM's are going to start the bidding at a mid 1st.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

click

OTT has been linked to Markstrom as well.  OTT looks ready to be a playoff team next season if only they can get their G right this summer.

28 minutes ago, sak22 said:

How do GM's see him though.  Sure people may want him, do they want him and only him?  Do they have a price they will limit themselves to before moving on to the next one.  And also important is the control the player has, once you limit the suitors you limit the bids.  Who goes to an auction and places the most they can afford as top bid.  Having average stats this year (bad team in front or not) after a bad year last year, mid 30's with 2 years remaining doesn't scream to me like someone GM's are going to start the bidding at a mid 1st.

Are you talking Markstrom?  Or Andersson?  Or both?

Of the two, Andersson has the higher trade value.  He's 28.  Signed for 2 more at a very reasonable deal.  And he's a coveted RHS RD who can step into a complementary top pair role.  Very difficult to find RHS RD.

Sure, BUF can just draft a RD this draft and then wait 3-4 years for the prospect to be NHL ready... But that might be 3-4 more years of missed playoffs and the end of Adam's job.  It just feels like BUF is the team to take total advantage of right now by dangling Andersson.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Are you talking Markstrom?  Or Andersson?  Or both?

Of the two, Andersson has the higher trade value.  He's 28.  Signed for 2 more at a very reasonable deal.  And he's a coveted RHS RD who can step into a complementary top pair role.  Very difficult to find RHS RD.

Sure, BUF can just draft a RD this draft and then wait 3-4 years for the prospect to be NHL ready... But that might be 3-4 more years of missed playoffs and the end of Adam's job.  It just feels like BUF is the team to take total advantage of right now by dangling Andersson.

I would say both but we were talking about Markstrom.  Sure Buffalo could be in and unlike Markstrom has no trade protection, but the only reason to trade a higher pick this year is if you don't like the draft.  If I was Buffalo I would just offer a lotto protected 1st next year and others.  And I also don't think the chances are high that Salt Lake trades its first ever first round pick for Andersson given his decline, nor do I think new ownership wants in Ottawa wants to move his first ever as well.  If they were they would want a better player than Rasmus Andersson, you'd want someone at the very least who would sell jerseys, I rarely see Andersson jerseys in Calgary.

18 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

for Markstrom.

So, it's speculation given that several quote insiders quote were saying a 1st plus Holtz plus.  And that Markstrom was asked if he would waive to go to NJ.  That would have been pretty risky for NJ at the time, if it was true.  Possibly too late to save the season.  End up having given away a lotto pick.  Yes, it may have been the 2025 pick.  Or it could have been 2024.  Will never know for sure.

LA could get in on any bidding war or be the only team interested in Marky.  They are built to win now.  It would have to be a 1st this year plus Kaliyev.  If they want retention, then they need to add another pick.  LA is built not to score, so the G is uber important to them.  Marky/Rittich would not be a bad tandem, and Rittich may still be a cheap re-sign.

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, it's speculation given that several quote insiders quote were saying a 1st plus Holtz plus.  And that Markstrom was asked if he would waive to go to NJ.  That would have been pretty risky for NJ at the time, if it was true.  Possibly too late to save the season.  End up having given away a lotto pick.  Yes, it may have been the 2025 pick.  Or it could have been 2024.  Will never know for sure.

LA could get in on any bidding war or be the only team interested in Marky.  They are built to win now.  It would have to be a 1st this year plus Kaliyev.  If they want retention, then they need to add another pick.  LA is built not to score, so the G is uber important to them.  Marky/Rittich would not be a bad tandem, and Rittich may still be a cheap re-sign.

Any links?  I remember Dreger specifically said after trade talks initially broke down that NJ could possibly entice the Flames to change their mind with a 1st.  I really don't recall any credible insider stating what was actually on the table.