Levshunov 

Lindstrom

The next of the bunch...

Dickinson

Catton

Buium

Parekh

Silayev

The Flames have a chance at one of these prospects and can't go wrong with any of them.

I feel it's a mini-cliff to the next bunch,

Eiserman

Tij

Yakemchuk

Helenius

Connelly

Jiricek

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

Who is ARZ? 

Beat me too it. lol

Are they going to use Utah, or Salt Lake? I hear people coming up with lame names under both. Reminds me of Utah Jazz. If you could name one state that is far removed from jazz, I'm sure it would be Utah. A close second would be the 15+ banjo and twangy singing states. I don't know where jazz would be today if not for that breeding ground of free-form melodies and harmonies known as Utah.

So maybe the Utah Welcome?

But if it's run the same as ARI, just call them the Utah Yard Sale.

Speaking of lame names...

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I still think the top 4 will be,

Celebrini 

Demidov

Levshunov 

Lindstrom

The next of the bunch...

Dickinson

Catton

Buium

Parekh

Silayev

The Flames have a chance at one of these prospects and can't go wrong with any of them.

I feel it's a mini-cliff to the next bunch,

Eiserman

Tij

Yakemchuk

Helenius

Connelly

Jiricek

Brace yourself. We saw last year that NHL scouts do not give a flying-Blockchain about ranking sites. Because, unlike ranking sites, projection is far more important than stats. Eiserman, especially, could still go 2 or 3. That wouldn't surprise me. Don't forget Benson's fall last year. There is zero reason that he shouldn't have been in the top 5. They've been subconsciously or consciously down-grading size for years. While the league moves in a direction that helps smaller players.

If there is one word that describes nearly every facet of the NHL, it's contradiction. If all of the secrecy and "media-training" dissipated, I'm sure we'd be staring at a world of contradiction. Nothing suggest that the NHL is linear. The policies are not reflected in the decision-making. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Are they going to use Utah, or Salt Lake?

Defintely Utah says the owner but no idea of the name.

Some I have seen banded about

Buzz

Hive

Grizzlies

Blizzard

Golden Eagles

Saints

Some tongue in cheek ones I have seen....

Polygamists

Stormin Mormon

Undead

personally I like the Utah Phoenix....

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Sounds good.  Very good chance he'll be there at 9 because teams ahead of us seem to need D badly.

very tough call.  a lot of them need d badly due to their history of short term decision making.

traditionally, d are the ones that drop.

i still think Tij, as much as I would like him, may be a moot point because someone will pick him over an incredibly good defenceman.   We just have to know who that defenceman is.  Because not all 6 of them will end up being difference makers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Defintely Utah says the owner but no idea of the name.

Some I have seen banded about

Buzz

Hive

Grizzlies

Blizzard

Golden Eagles

Saints

Some tongue in cheek ones I have seen....

Polygamists

Stormin Mormon

Undead

personally I like the Utah Phoenix....

Utah Jizz comes to mind. Or how about Utah Coyote Ugly. 😝

I would love to see Tij become a flame, build a new arena and have another Iginla mark our territory.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

Utah Jizz comes to mind. Or how about Utah Coyote Ugly. 😝

I would love to see Tij become a flame, build a new arena and have another Iginla mark our territory.

You want Tij to piss on the new stadium?

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Beat me too it. lol

Are they going to use Utah, or Salt Lake? I hear people coming up with lame names under both. Reminds me of Utah Jazz. If you could name one state that is far removed from jazz, I'm sure it would be Utah. A close second would be the 15+ banjo and twangy singing states. I don't know where jazz would be today if not for that breeding ground of free-form melodies and harmonies known as Utah.

So maybe the Utah Welcome?

But if it's run the same as ARI, just call them the Utah Yard Sale.

Speaking of lame names...

The team took the name because the team was relocated from NO.

They seem to get left overs from the league.

So, maybe they should be the Utah Coyotes.

That won't work because Arizona is getting a new team when they expand again.

How about Utah keeps the Yotes last name and when Phoenix gets a team they call it the Arizona Snow Birds.  

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The team took the name because the team was relocated from NO.

They seem to get left overs from the league.

So, maybe they should be the Utah Coyotes.

That won't work because Arizona is getting a new team when they expand again.

How about Utah keeps the Yotes last name and when Phoenix gets a team they call it the Arizona Snow Birds.  

Merulo holds the rights to the Coyotes name, so it can't be that. Forgot about the Nawlins Jazz!! Nevermind. lol

So, they're moving to Utah and then expanding back into Arizona or Phoenix? 

why not move the team back? I guess they need to settle the players in. Not fair to them.

I find it weird the Winnipeg team is called the Jets when we all know they're the Arizona team. 

17 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

why not move the team back? I guess they need to settle the players in. Not fair to them.

I find it weird the Winnipeg team is called the Jets when we all know they're the Arizona team. 

meme-boy-gets-paid-4140-c9dfc88867749974

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

ARI sells team to Utah, avoiding the franchise fees.

ARI gets an expansion team, paying roughly the same amount they got in the sale.

NHL team get their cut of the entry fee ($1B)

It's a weird twist.  ARI had to sell the team because the NHL would not allow them to play at Mullet.

Even if they win the rights to buy the land, they still have 3 years or less to build a stadium.

So, the NHL allowed the sale to a team that would probably have gotten an expansion team in 3 years.

The franchise fee is paid about the same times as expected.

The Jets is a really poor example of the NHL decision making.

Or perhaps the peril of being a small market team.

Lose a team.

Expansion team fails, team sold and moves to WPG.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The Jets is a really poor example of the NHL decision making.

Or perhaps the peril of being a small market team.

Lose a team.

Expansion team fails, team sold and moves to WPG.

The peril of being a small market Canadian team during the late '90's.  Not like opportunities didn't exist for someone to buy them and keep them there, it was a bad investment.  The league took the losses because the potential of Arizona was greater, they had a good arena and a large population, Winnipeg had neither and add the bad exchange rate at the time.  Just a bad time for Canadian sports teams, but it is the one criticism Bet-man gets that I don't feel is earned as I have a hard time believing anyone else would find a way to keep the Jets and Nordiques in that era.

41 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I really doubt they'll be back in ARI. It's the NHL. This is their way of distracting us from them having to admit, "wow, we fubar'd the Satoshi Nakamoto right out of this whole Arizona project".

Nope. "Look everyone, something shiny. Everybody wins. So much good came from this".

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

The peril of being a small market Canadian team during the late '90's.  Not like opportunities didn't exist for someone to buy them and keep them there, it was a bad investment.  The league took the losses because the potential of Arizona was greater, they had a good arena and a large population, Winnipeg had neither and add the bad exchange rate at the time.  Just a bad time for Canadian sports teams, but it is the one criticism Bet-man gets that I don't feel is earned as I have a hard time believing anyone else would find a way to keep the Jets and Nordiques in that era.

Should have moved them to Hamilton.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Brace yourself. We saw last year that NHL scouts do not give a flying-Blockchain about ranking sites. Because, unlike ranking sites, projection is far more important than stats. Eiserman, especially, could still go 2 or 3. That wouldn't surprise me. Don't forget Benson's fall last year. There is zero reason that he shouldn't have been in the top 5. They've been subconsciously or consciously down-grading size for years. While the league moves in a direction that helps smaller players.

If there is one word that describes nearly every facet of the NHL, it's contradiction. If all of the secrecy and "media-training" dissipated, I'm sure we'd be staring at a world of contradiction. Nothing suggest that the NHL is linear. The policies are not reflected in the decision-making. 

There is a good chance the Flames go off the board, so to speak, and pick Tij.  It's not a reach at #9.

Last season, I remember no D was ranked in the top 10... But MTL reached for the best RHS RD at 5.  And then ARZ reached next for Simashev at 6.

Always count on MTL to be flashy and go off the board (at least by a bit).  Slafkovsky and Reinbacher is proof.

ARZ has questionable scouting.  Picks have been hit and miss in recent history.

Those are the two teams picking ahead of us who are unpredictable.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Last season, I remember no D was ranked in the top 10

This is what I mean. Ranked by which guessing site? They just do it for fan fervour. Or their staff would be a part of pro scouting teams.

It's just the internet. Highlight packages produced by player agents, opinions given with unknown agendas.

48 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

This is what I mean. Ranked by which guessing site? They just do it for fan fervour. Or their staff would be a part of pro scouting teams.

It's just the internet. Highlight packages produced by player agents, opinions given with unknown agendas.

In defense of the rankings though, Simashev appears to be a brutal pick at 6.  He was ranked 15-ish.  In a redraft, probably 20+.

Anyways though, Flames should stick to one of Catton, Silayev, Buium, Dickinson, or Parekh.  Take whoever falls to us at 9 from this group.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

There is a good chance the Flames go off the board, so to speak, and pick Tij.  It's not a reach at #9.

Last season, I remember no D was ranked in the top 10... But MTL reached for the best RHS RD at 5.  And then ARZ reached next for Simashev at 6.

Always count on MTL to be flashy and go off the board (at least by a bit).  Slafkovsky and Reinbacher is proof.

ARZ has questionable scouting.  Picks have been hit and miss in recent history.

Those are the two teams picking ahead of us who are unpredictable.

Who was saying that?  about no D in the top 10

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draftcentre/craig-s-list-after-impressive-u18-showing-axel-sandin-pellikka-moves-into-top-5-1.1960662

https://www.tsn.ca/intrigue-and-excitement-in-the-year-of-connor-bedard-at-the-nhl-draft-1.1976262

At least one of the buttons thought there was.   but...don't get me wrong, your point is valid.

The discrepancies are beyond wild lol.

I was...shocked...to see the Flames pass in the D department.  I'm not a Button fan, but I suspect he got it right with Pellika.

Just now, jjgallow said:

Who was saying that?  about no D in the top 10

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draftcentre/craig-s-list-after-impressive-u18-showing-axel-sandin-pellikka-moves-into-top-5-1.1960662

https://www.tsn.ca/intrigue-and-excitement-in-the-year-of-connor-bedard-at-the-nhl-draft-1.1976262

At least one of the buttons thought there was.   but...don't get me wrong, your point is valid.

The discrepancies are beyond wild lol.

I was...shocked...to see the Flames pass in the D department.  I'm not a Button fan, but I suspect he got it right with Pellika.

Lol ya all over the place.

This year's D crop is way better than last year.  Flames should stick to picking one of the D.  Unless it's Catton.