2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

47 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Could help with the Wranglers to fill the loss of Phillips and Pelletier, but I don't see him as an NHLer.

So, we claim him and then waive him?  I suppose it could work, assuming other teams don't want to claim him at a slightly later date.  In previous iteration of NHL seasons he scored 10g and 14a.  A total of 34 points in 93 games.  By contrast Hunt has 43 points in 202 NHL games.  Ruzicka has 31 points in 75 games.

My point is that making a broad statement with only 93 games played is a bit presumptory.  I don't know if he is a NHL-er or not.  A low risk claim with perhaps more upside than Hunt or Schwindt.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, we claim him and then waive him?  I suppose it could work, assuming other teams don't want to claim him at a slightly later date.  In previous iteration of NHL seasons he scored 10g and 14a.  A total of 34 points in 93 games.  By contrast Hunt has 43 points in 202 NHL games.  Ruzicka has 31 points in 75 games.

My point is that making a broad statement with only 93 games played is a bit presumptory.  I don't know if he is a NHL-er or not.  A low risk claim with perhaps more upside than Hunt or Schwindt.

The thing is it's 3 teams now, its one thing if he struggles to make a contender on his ELC, but he couldn't make Buffalo, or a bottom feeder Chicago  On the surface we can say he's better than Dryden Hunt because of draft position and such, but in Chicago he lost out to the Mackenzie Entwistle's of the league and hasn't cracked a lineup that doesn't even have a strong prospect pool in Pittsburgh. 

I don't know what it is with hockey fan's, there are 2 or more busts in almost every top 10, and probably only 1/15 reclamations are successful.  But if they're not a Flames pick anytime one hits waivers, we gotta put in a claim.  I think its funny the leash on our teams prospects is short, but other teams high picks their upside lasts until retirement.

Picking up Alex Nylander would go ahead what Conroy is trying to preach. you've got Ruzicka, Coronato,
Duher, Pelletier (when healthy), Zary even Schwindt. So if he is not an obvious upgrade (and he isn't) then your just blocking what you already have

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Picking up Alex Nylander would go ahead what Conroy is trying to preach. you've got Ruzicka, Coronato,
Duher, Pelletier (when healthy), Zary even Schwindt. So if he is not an obvious upgrade (and he isn't) then your just blocking what you already have

Well the message to Zary is you are not ready.  The message to Pelletier is that you are injured.

It's low risk, but if you have zero interest in the player that is fine.

44 minutes ago, Otown72 said:

Claim Alex Nylander, then trade for William Nylander.😜

Having both might make signing an extension more appealing for William.

We've already done the 1 good brother 1 bad brother thing, getting rid of the bad one might have cost us the good one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well the message to Zary is you are not ready.  The message to Pelletier is that you are injured.

It's low risk, but if you have zero interest in the player that is fine.

I didn't explain this very well.  We already sent down Zary, so the message to him was he's not ready.

Based on a 23 man roster:

With Pelletier and Rooney injured; which two forwards stay out of Cole Schwindt (RH-RW/C), Adam Klapka (RH-RW/C), and Dryden Hunt (LH-LW/RW)?

Personally, I'm torn between Schwindt and Klapka as they are both waiver exempt.

Schwindt has a slightly better PPG average in the AHL than Klapka (0.49 vs 0.42), but the latter has a huge size advantage.

Assuming Oliver Kylington is not ready to come back yet, do the Flames keep Dennis Gilbert or Ilya Solovyov as the 7th defenseman?

Gilbert is not exempt from waivers but Solovyov is. Both are LH-LD.

Personally, I'd give Solovyov a shot as I feel fairly confident that Gilbert would clear waivers and I'd like to see an injection of youth into the D corps.

It is fortunate that the Flames have 3 veteran defensemen that can and have played both sides (Oesterle-LHS, Weegar-RHS, and Zadorov-LHS). 

27 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

With Pelletier and Rooney injured; which two forwards stay out of Cole Schwindt (RH-RW/C), Adam Klapka (RH-RW/C), and Dryden Hunt (LH-LW/RW)?

Personally, I'm torn between Schwindt and Klapka as they are both waiver exempt.

Schwindt has a slightly better PPG average in the AHL than Klapka (0.49 vs 0.42), but the latter has a huge size advantage.

Assuming Oliver Kylington is not ready to come back yet, do the Flames keep Dennis Gilbert or Ilya Solovyov as the 7th defenseman?

Personally, I'd give Solovyov a shot as I feel fairly confident that Gilbert would clear waivers and I'd like to see an injection of youth into the D corps.

It is fortunate that the Flames have 3 veteran defensemen that can and have played both sides (Oesterle-LHS, Weegar-RHS, and Zadorov-LHS). 

Today when Steinberg was comin' at us from the Schmidt Array Ready To Go Boards Downtown Basement Studio, he and Gilbertson discussed this at length. The general consensus being that they'd keep Schwindt and Gilbert, but that Klapka, Zary, and Solovyov would be the first call ups.

I have only seen a few games so far, but I haven't been blown away by any of them, and I think that this is a very different conversation if Kylington and Pelletier are available.

Love.

5 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Today when Steinberg was comin' at us from the Schmidt Array Ready To Go Boards Downtown Basement Studio, he and Gilbertson discussed this at length. The general consensus being that they'd keep Schwindt and Gilbert, but that Klapka, Zary, and Solovyov would be the first call ups.

I have only seen a few games so far, but I haven't been blown away by any of them, and I think that this is a very different conversation if Kylington and Pelletier are available.

Love.

Sorry I couldn't get past "Schmidt Array" and "basement studio". lol

That is freaking awesome. Completely removed me from caring about hockey and my right foot immediately started pressing imaginary switches and pedals.

What would each of our players sound like if they were a guitar pedal?

11 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

None of the three options really excite me.  Hunt may be the most NHL ready of the bunch, but worse than Lewis for a 4th line option.  For me, that's really disappointing.  Zary should have been here over the three of them, but not my call.  

Solovyov is the better option for me.  Gilbert is at best an option in emergency cases.  His best skill is fighting.  He's not really that bad, just doesn't really do anything for me.  

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Sorry I couldn't get past "Schmidt Array" and "basement studio". lol

That is freaking awesome. Completely removed me from caring about hockey and my right foot immediately started pressing imaginary switches and pedals.

Yeah, I've had the Schmidt Array Ready To Go Boards page opened in my browser for probably the last year or so. I'm going to need a bigger contract... currently there's a yellow 675XDM that I really like, and could make work, but I've mostly been looking at the 750XDM_wx series. Right now, there's a pink one that doesn't really fit my aesthetic, and a red/white/blue one that I think is absolutely horrendous. I like the extra space of the 750, but I think I could make a tight little unit on the 675 that might be more potent. 

Ooh! I'll play! Here's my board - the one that I'd like to replace with the Schmidt Array:

IMG-2452.jpg

Crybaby Wah - Blake Coleman

Save any comments about how our players are crybabies because you're missing the point. This pedal is reliable af. As soon as I step on it, I know exactly what I'm going to get. It's durable, it's always there when I need it, and every once in a while, you get White Room, or Voodoo Chile.

Does It Doom Doomcaster - Mackenzie Weegar

This one comes on when you need a push. It makes everything else a little bit louder, and might be just what you need to get over the edge.

Does It Doom Sabbathi - Ghost of Darryl Sutter

It represents an impending sense of doom that hangs over the team. It has left players with shattered dreams, and uncertainty about their futures as hockey players, and maybe even as humans.

Boss Chromatic Tuner - Mikeal Backlund

It's been on the board the longest, and it silently keeps everybody in tune. It's not sexy, but it's necessary. You need one of these, or you probably sound really bad.

Boss Octave - Nazem Kadri

Love the player, love the pedal, but has the potential to bring everything down. Also has the potential to wreak absolute death and destruction if deployed in the right situation.

Strymon Volante - Jonathan Huberdeau

This is my favourite tape delay. There's a TimeLine on this board, and yet, the Volante is the delay that I use more than any other. Jonathan Huberdeau holds the puck just a little bit longer, and when it works, it's magic.

Drybell Vibe Machine - Adam Ružička

This pedal has two functions. It switches between a chorus, and a vibrato. It can absolutely sing, but depending on your settings, it can be there, and then be gone, and then be there, and then be gone, and then be there, and then be gone... 

Keeley Fuzz Head - Andrew Mangiapane

This thing is a spark plug. It gets dirty, and it makes everything dirty, too!

Strymon TimeLine - Jacob Markstrom

It's an easy dig at the goalie since he let in the first shot last night after a season where that almost became a meme. I promise not to do it again. Nothing like a delayed reaction.

Strymon Big Sky - Elias Lindholm

There's an echo, and we don't know if it's singing, or if it's a phantom. The only player left from one of the most dynamic lines in Calgary Flames history. We miss Tkachuk, and we miss Gaudreau. There's beauty in these halls, but there's also an ongoing contract negotiation, and whispers of loss. Does he stay, and sign up for a team with an aging core, and years of mediocrity on the horizon, or does he leave, and the best player is gone. It's a haunting sound.

MXR Boost/Line Driver - Rasmus Andersson

This pedal is on all the time. In every situation. It's in the fight.

Keeley Compressor - Matt Coronato/Jacob Pelletier

This is optimistic, but I use the Compressor when I need just a little bit more. During a guitar solo when I need to soar, or during a shimmering clean section, the Compressor makes everything just a little bit better. It's a morale boost, and hopefully these guys can help with some of the pain that this fanbase has been dealing with for the last year and some.

So, in conclusion, we have a pretty good board, but it's not an elite board. The Schmidt Array will help to make it a more cohesive unit, but it'd be nice to upgrade the G2 to a G3, and it needs another shimmery piece. Probably a Strymon Mobius, and maybe an expression pedal.

Love.

• Like 3

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Dube
Sharangovich-Kadri-Coronato
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Hunt- Ruzicka-Duehr
 Aj Greer
Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Oesterle-Tanev
Gilbert

Markstrom
Vladar

That looks better, Hunt & Scwidnt for me just didn't cut it

36 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Finally I can stop going on about it! lol

4 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Dube
Sharangovich-Kadri-Coronato
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Hunt- Ruzicka-Duehr
 Aj Greer
Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Oesterle-Tanev
Gilbert

Markstrom
Vladar

That looks better, Hunt & Scwidnt for me just didn't cut it

Govich seems to be okay defensively.  I think Ruzicka actually outplayed him on LW, but you have to fill positions as they can play.  If Ruzicka can win some draws, they might actually have some O-zone presence.  I like the speed on Duehr on the rish though.

Greer brings AHL scoring equivalent to Phillips (for the Phillips crowd) with the size you need to play 4th line minutes.  Has NHL experience, but is a bit of a tweener at age 26.  PLace holder over Hunt I guess.  There were other options perhaps, but whatever.  He doesn't cut it, we waive him again.

Good luck to Dube.  Deserves top line as much as anyone from what I saw this pre-season.  Always shows up in shape.  Remains to be seen if Govich keeps that top 6 spot.  

The only way this club is successful this season is stellar goaltending, better D coverage, and some offensive balance similar to the Kraken last season. Without that happening it will be a very long season.  I am mildly optimistic that the gleeful departure of the last coach is enough motivation to create the outcomes everyone is hoping for. 

A few things to remember about rosters, for those worried that longer serving Flames prospects didn’t get a shot over Hunt, Gilbert, Osterle etc.

First, the shot was there for the taking. If prospects only played about the same as the above, then they didn’t take the job. Prove you are better, not just equal, in order to get the spot. If you are equal, but waiver eligible and the other guy isn’t, you go down.

Second, I recall the brass saying prospects need to earn a spot they are suited for. Zary is middle / top 6, so no go for forth line. That left Hunt, Schwindt and Klapka fighting for the 12/13 spot. Add in Greer, and Hunt is fine as 13th F, let Klapka and Schwindt get more ice time in the A. This works for Solovyov as well. Gilbert and Osterle sharing the 6/7 spot. Get Solovyov the minutes in the A. No point having prospects mostly sitting in the press box.

Flames picked up AJ Greer off waivers.

I support the pickup and I think he will add value.

Big, skilled. Young enough, high enough ceiling, and free.  All things the Flames need more of.

On the other hand,  when you consider how many LWs this organization has and has drafted,  it paints a bit of a bleak picture.  

This should be the last position we need help with.   But a lot of guys we needed to show up to preseason did not.

On the positive side, yes....good add.  Maybe a great add.

2 hours ago, bosn111 said:

A few things to remember about rosters, for those worried that longer serving Flames prospects didn’t get a shot over Hunt, Gilbert, Osterle etc.

First, the shot was there for the taking. If prospects only played about the same as the above, then they didn’t take the job. Prove you are better, not just equal, in order to get the spot. If you are equal, but waiver eligible and the other guy isn’t, you go down.

Second, I recall the brass saying prospects need to earn a spot they are suited for. Zary is middle / top 6, so no go for forth line. That left Hunt, Schwindt and Klapka fighting for the 12/13 spot. Add in Greer, and Hunt is fine as 13th F, let Klapka and Schwindt get more ice time in the A. This works for Solovyov as well. Gilbert and Osterle sharing the 6/7 spot. Get Solovyov the minutes in the A. No point having prospects mostly sitting in the press box.

Ruzicka is suited for 4th line after playing with top players and playing like a top 6 player?  But I also take some exception with the concept that top prospects should only be able to win top spots.  Maybe that's how we do it.  It's not the only way.  Imagine Zary playing 10 minutes in the NHL with guys that are suited for the NHL.  

But anyway, I digress.  This is the team that I will cheer for.  When Pelts is back, we have other decisions to make.  

4 hours ago, tmac70 said:

The only way this club is successful this season is stellar goaltending, better D coverage, and some offensive balance similar to the Kraken last season. Without that happening it will be a very long season.  I am mildly optimistic that the gleeful departure of the last coach is enough motivation to create the outcomes everyone is hoping for. 

What is "Successful"?  What does it mean this season?  Division is so sad that the Flames could be 4th best without trying.

TD:  Ruzicka, Duehr and Hunt are all waiver eligible. My comment about prospects trying out for roles that suit them was for waiver free players. Ruzicka is 4th line because there are too many others ahead of him. Yes he should be middle 6, but who would he replace?

For players like Solovyov, Kuznetsov, Zary, Ciona, Pospisil or even Poirier, they needed to be better in camp than Coleman, Backlund, Mangiapane, Zadorov, Coronato, Sharangovich etc. 

Next year, Hanifin and likely Tanev, and Kylington will be gone on D. Also a chance Zadorov, Gilbert and Osterle. So without trades or UFA signings, there are likely 2 or even 3 D spots open. I believe possibly 2 re-sign but with only Anderson and Weegar signed past this season, there is a big likelihood that change is coming.

Less likely changes on F with Lindholm, Greer and Rooney being UFA, Dube Pelletier and Ruzicka RFA. The youth infusion at F is this season with Ruzicka, Duehr likely getting more game time, add in Coronato and possibly Pelts once he is healthy, Greer and Hunt also 26 and 27, and the team is instantly younger at F. 

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the year and the next few.  I am guessing that Schwindt / Ciona are likely Coleman replacement in middle six in a few years, Zary likely moves up when Backlund retires.

• Like 1