2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

I dunno if it's true, but recently read an article that Kylington also isn't willing to talk extension until they see what the team looks like. 

what a situation the Flames are in... and yet it's up to the players to perform, so this seems like one of those things. And if Kylington is one of those guys it's not like he has the service hours to pull that card. A bit disappointed in that. I was all willing to give Kylington the benefit here, but I guess his contract is up and he has the right to that.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I dunno if it's true, but recently read an article that Kylington also isn't willing to talk extension until they see what the team looks like. 

what a situation the Flames are in... and yet it's up to the players to perform, so this seems like one of those things. And if Kylington is one of those guys it's not like he has the service hours to pull that card. A bit disappointed in that. I was all willing to give Kylington the benefit here, but I guess his contract is up and he has the right to that.

Unfortunately, what is reported is sometimes a long distance from fact.  If Kylington is actually saying this, there is a good basis for it.  He was limited by coaching to 8 games in one season, played almost a full season and missed entirely a full season.  Another new coach will determine his fate this season.  

From the other side, do you want to even think about signing him without knowing if he is a 3/4 or a 5/6 or a 7D?  If they could get him signed for $2M they would probably do it.  Low risk.  The player doesn't want to be stuck at that rate.  He had a career season under a defensive system.  Got little PP time after the coach saw a mistake or two.  Under Huska, he might get better minutes.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Unfortunately, what is reported is sometimes a long distance from fact.  If Kylington is actually saying this, there is a good basis for it.  He was limited by coaching to 8 games in one season, played almost a full season and missed entirely a full season.  Another new coach will determine his fate this season.  

From the other side, do you want to even think about signing him without knowing if he is a 3/4 or a 5/6 or a 7D?  If they could get him signed for $2M they would probably do it.  Low risk.  The player doesn't want to be stuck at that rate.  He had a career season under a defensive system.  Got little PP time after the coach saw a mistake or two.  Under Huska, he might get better minutes.

Ya, it will be a year.

I understand definitely. and you're right. I feel weird about how they picked him around...

57 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Ya, it will be a year.

I understand definitely. and you're right. I feel weird about how they picked him around...

BTW, I wasn't singling you out, just commenting on his weird usage and situation.  It's sort of like Valimaki.  Kept at times under the thumb.  Released and make a few bad reads.  Put under the thumb.  The LTIR situation feels to me like he has to prove it all over again.  He should for sure, but he also was providing top 4 play in bottom pairing minutes (at times).  

Eventually he may be redundant, but for now we don't have anyone who can skate that well.  He's a Brodie level player with slightly less Brodie instinct.  

I think the team is optimistic to have Kyl back, but are concerned at what a year off can do. And realize it might take him a bit to get back to game speed, and some of the stuff (from a mental standpoint) that he was wrestling with, I think the team is hesitant if he can get back there at all. Which is the crossroads they are at with him.

2 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

I think the team is optimistic to have Kyl back, but are concerned at what a year off can do. And realize it might take him a bit to get back to game speed, and some of the stuff (from a mental standpoint) that he was wrestling with, I think the team is hesitant if he can get back there at all. Which is the crossroads they are at with him.

I think he approached the summer much like he had when he was active on the roster; spent a ton of time skating and doing weight and fitness training.  I have no concern about his physical fitness.  He has said that he has overcome the things that took him out of play.  Of course we shall see, but I don't think the team has a huge concern about him right now.   

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think he approached the summer much like he had when he was active on the roster; spent a ton of time skating and doing weight and fitness training.  I have no concern about his physical fitness.  He has said that he has overcome the things that took him out of play.  Of course we shall see, but I don't think the team has a huge concern about him right now.   

That’s not what I heard yesterday, but I hope I’m wrong.

The only difference for Kylington is he hasn't practiced with an NHL team in over a year. 

he only played so many games the years prior, it's a wonder he developed the way he did. I dunno if the year off will make much of a difference if he's been able to skate at pace and control the puck at the same time with other high enough skilled players

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Flames trending the right way.  But the core is still on the older side.

Simply deleting Lewis and Lucic goes a long ways in lowering the average age.

Just interesting. I like going younger. Maybe you give up some on the defensive side of the game, but any combination of Pelletier/Coronato/Ruzicka and maybe Zary will outproduce the guys from the 4th line last year.

• 2 weeks later...

I think there will be a pretty intriguing competition for the forward spot created by Pelletier's injury.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Sharangovich

Dube-Kadri-Coronato

Coleman-Backlund-Mangiapane

Ruzicka-Duehr

There are a lot of candidates for that final spot.

If they want a veteran, Rooney. But the cap hit is a concern.

My preference would be Zary. At some point, the Flames need to see what they have in him.

They could also go a number of different ways too. Pettersen, Hunt, Schwindt, Jones, Pospisil.

Interested to see how this plays out.

17 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think there will be a pretty intriguing competition for the forward spot created by Pelletier's injury.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Sharangovich

Dube-Kadri-Coronato

Coleman-Backlund-Mangiapane

Ruzicka-Duehr

There are a lot of candidates for that final spot.

If they want a veteran, Rooney. But the cap hit is a concern.

My preference would be Zary. At some point, the Flames need to see what they have in him.

They could also go a number of different ways too. Pettersen, Hunt, Schwindt, Jones, Pospisil.

Interested to see how this plays out.

The cap difference between Zary and Rooney is marginal.

Can only bury up to just over a million; $1.1M to be exact.

Think the dead cap was $150k last year.

So, really you would still have the $150k dead and the difference between Zary and the $1.1M.

Cap savings around $200k.

Assuming he is waived and not claimed.