2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

Instead of playing him down the lineup, we need to bench Huberdeau every time he makes a no look l pass. By the time next season starts, he will hopefully have it out of his game.  

He is not lacking effort, just kills the play everytime trying to make cute passes. He is spoiled from playing with Barkov who could retrieve it and stickhandle it around the d.

1 hour ago, TheBurn said:

Instead of playing him down the lineup, we need to bench Huberdeau every time he makes a no look l pass. By the time next season starts, he will hopefully have it out of his game.  

He is not lacking effort, just kills the play everytime trying to make cute passes. He is spoiled from playing with Barkov who could retrieve it and stickhandle it around the d.

He hardly played with Barkov

61 of his 115 points were with Barkov on the ice in 2022 even though his most common linemates were Duclair and Bennett that year. 

They were also each others most common linemates for many years prior. 

5 minutes ago, sak22 said:

This is as expected.  Full list of nominees: Masterton Trophy nominations announced | NHL.com

I don't know the stories of the other players nominated, but at quick glance it was players that were injured, or had a long road to the NHL.  Hrumph.  There are guys deserving no doubt.  Maybe Kylington doesn't match all the qualities necessary, but he is certainly a shining example of what tolls the sport can take on a person and what it might take to make it back.  I personally think it's the kind of story that the NHL needs to show at this point.  Fighting, scandals, rapists (suspected), CTE, player gambling, player douchebaggness; nice to have positive stuff for a change.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know the stories of the other players nominated, but at quick glance it was players that were injured, or had a long road to the NHL.  Hrumph.  There are guys deserving no doubt.  Maybe Kylington doesn't match all the qualities necessary, but he is certainly a shining example of what tolls the sport can take on a person and what it might take to make it back.  I personally think it's the kind of story that the NHL needs to show at this point.  Fighting, scandals, rapists (suspected), CTE, player gambling, player douchebaggness; nice to have positive stuff for a change.

Nothing to add to this. 

I agree wholeheartedly.

Shilly is well deserving.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

The problem with taking guys off lines they've had most success on is they might not replicate it with other teammates...

What Huska said about Zary is appropriate.  He said young guys don't deserve to play if they aren't playing at their best.  He quoted Weegar's comments about showing up.  The only issue I have with that is that some of the vets are in that boat but never get sat.  Zary maybe deserved to sit, though I thought he was no worse than his linemates that last game.  

Just now, travel_dude said:

What Huska said about Zary is appropriate.  He said young guys don't deserve to play if they aren't playing at their best.  He quoted Weegar's comments about showing up.  The only issue I have with that is that some of the vets are in that boat but never get sat.  Zary maybe deserved to sit, though I thought he was no worse than his linemates that last game.  

I agree with that. They need to hold everyone to that standard. While he called out vets, I think it means more if vets get sat too.

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I agree with that. They need to hold everyone to that standard. While he called out vets, I think it means more if vets get sat too.

I mean it's quite possible that the coach knows a lot more about what the players are doing than us casual observers.  For instance, Huberdeau could suck in a game but he is still giving 100%.  When Weegar is talking about floaters, I honestly have no idea who he means.  Guys that won't block a shot (Backlund)?  Guys that avoid hits?  No idea.

Hope the Zary at C experiment continues till the end.  Zary was flying, making plays and demanding the puck like never before on Saturday.  I’d like him with Coronato too but perhaps give him a couple more games to get comfortable?

2 hours ago, cberg said:

Hope the Zary at C experiment continues till the end.  Zary was flying, making plays and demanding the puck like never before on Saturday.  I’d like him with Coronato too but perhaps give him a couple more games to get comfortable?

I think they should keep him at C as well.  I don't think it's the right time to pair him with the other rookie without a top player.  With Pospisil he had Kadri, to both handle the C spot and to balance out the skills.  Honestly, I can't tell you what the lines were through the entire game, but it appeared that it was Huberdeau-Zary-Sharky.  That allowed them to play Backlund against McD (and Draibaby?), and at least get sawed off results with Zary at C.

Kylington is day to day after the friendly fire hit at the blueline.  Solo should draw in, but it's anyone's guess who gets rewarded with games.  I doubt they play Kylington again if it's concussion related, but I think it was mostly upper body (shoulder/arm).     

Coleman out day to day.

Not sure of who is coming in, but likely Hunt and Duehr in.

Mangiapane was able to play last game, so one less.

Kylington skating, but as an extra D.

I don't think there is a need to bring him back unless he is 100%.

Even then, these are meaningless games and you can evaluate others.