2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

Although early, if you're like me, you need a visual. So I'll throw this out there, subject to change of course.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Dube

Mangiapane-Kadri-Sharangovich

Coleman-Backlund-Coronato

Ruzicka-Rooney-Duehr

Zary, Hunt

Hanifin-Andersson

Weegar(C);)-Tanev

Kylington-Zadorov

Oesterle

Markstrom

Vladar

There should be some changes, but this is right now. I'm doubting Coronato will need 3rd line protection but I've allowed it at present.

For me, Dube has to grab the bull by the horns. He always comes in the fittest and is always trying to make things happen out there. He just needs to put it all together. Sutter called him the "most improved" last year and he should be again this year.

We are suffering from no depth, big time. I'm not sure how that gets addressed with no cap to work with.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hanifin gets traded🙂So until we get the return, this is my prediction

Huby-Lindholm-Scoronato

Mangiapane-Kadri-Sherangovich

Pelts-Backlund-Dube

Coleman-Ruzy-Duer

Rooney,Zary

Weegar-Anderson

Zadorov-Porier

Kylington-Tanev

Gilbert, Osterle

Marky

Vladar

Wolf

(could see Vladar waived if Wolf really shines and Dan plays) mediocre 

Would like to see Pelts, and  perhaps Backs involved the PP just not sure who comes out

• Like 1

If there are no more changes to the opening day roster, for me this is where I would start:

Mangipane - Kadri - Sharangovich

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Coronato

Ruzicka - Backlund - Coleman

Pelletier - Dube - Duehr

Hannifin - Anderson

Weegar - Zadorov

Kyllington - Tanev

Markstrom

Vladar

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Sharangovich

Mangiapane-Kadri-Dube

Coleman-Backlund-Coronato

Pelletier-Ruzicka/Zary-Duehr

Weegar-Andersson

Kylington-Tanev

Zadorov-Oesterle

I believe Hanifin will be moved before the season.  Vladar, if a team has a goalie injury.

It will be an interesting camp. This team has almost no RHS forwards. It gives Coronato a real shot at making the team, at least to start. Zary has a chance too. Conroy wants to get younger in the bottom six. Would expect to see a lot of Wolf and Vladar in the preseason. I think there's a legit competition for the backup job.

• Like 1

Hopeful thinking, especially the 6 new rookies on the roster, plus 2 additions.  Probably player(s) coming back on the Backlund and Hanifin trades so likely Honzig and Poirier return to Junior/AHL, after a few NHL games.....

IN: Pius Suter (UFA signing)

OUT: Backlund, Hanifin, Vladar (trades for mostly future picks)

Pelletier - Kadri - Dube

Mangiapane - Suter - Duehr

Honzig - Ruzicka - Sharangovitch

Kylington - Anderson

Weegar - Tanev

Poirier - Zadorov

Markstrom - Wolf

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cberg said:

Hopeful thinking, especially the 6 new rookies on the roster, plus 2 additions.  Probably player(s) coming back on the Backlund and Hanifin trades so likely Honzig and Poirier return to Junior/AHL, after a few NHL games.....

Pelletier - Kadri - Dube

Kylington - Anderson

Weegar - Tanev

Poirier - Zadorov

Markstrom - Wolf

Likely moving Sharangovich up. Need his size and skill up. Potentially with Huberdeau. Coronato may match Kadri's style better. Maybe something like Rozie-Zary-Duehr on the 4th line to start the season. Honzek will be back in jr for certain. Need something for D in a trade return. Kylington is still a giant mystery box and Poirier still has at least another year but maybe earns a call-up at some point.

5 hours ago, cberg said:

Pelletier - Kadri - Dube

Kylington - Anderson

Weegar - Tanev

Poirier - Zadorov

Markstrom - Wolf

I don't mind the Suter siging if the money works.

Govich is likely rated higher than rookie Coronato, so he should be near top of the lineup.

I might be wrong, but maybe Coronato belongs with Kadri.

I watched some of him play, and it seemed like he needed a player like Kadri.

On defense, assuming we moved out Hanifin, Oesterle would be 6th D.

I also think that any Hanifin trade brings back a winger.

Oh, you forgot Coleman BTW.

Without knowing who comes back, I will just leave out Hanifin for now and not put in Nylander (like the rumor suggests):

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Govich

Mangiapane-Kadri-Coronato

Coleman-Suter-Dube

Pelletier-Ruzicka-Duehr

Weegar-Ras

Kylington-Tanev

Zadorov-Oesterle

Not a killer lineup, but good.

If Hanifin for Nylander transpires, then bump Coronato down to 4RW and Govich to 2RW.

A lot of it depends on Mangiapane.  He was meh last season, but he was supposedly dealing with injury.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't mind the Suter siging if the money works.

Govich is likely rated higher than rookie Coronato, so he should be near top of the lineup.

I might be wrong, but maybe Coronato belongs with Kadri.

I watched some of him play, and it seemed like he needed a player like Kadri.

On defense, assuming we moved out Hanifin, Oesterle would be 6th D.

I also think that any Hanifin trade brings back a winger.

Oh, you forgot Coleman BTW.

Without knowing who comes back, I will just leave out Hanifin for now and not put in Nylander (like the rumor suggests):

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Govich

Mangiapane-Kadri-Coronato

Coleman-Suter-Dube

Pelletier-Ruzicka-Duehr

Weegar-Ras

Kylington-Tanev

Zadorov-Oesterle

Not a killer lineup, but good.

If Hanifin for Nylander transpires, then bump Coronato down to 4RW and Govich to 2RW.

A lot of it depends on Mangiapane.  He was meh last season, but he was supposedly dealing with injury.

Ah yes, I forgot Coleman.  I was trying to balance out the lines a bit, figuring Sharangovich might be a good match to get Ruzicka going at Centre along with better-than-expected Honzek pushing for a shot at making the team directly.  Also, I was figuring Poirier would also be pushing to make the team and Osterle there as the 7th D.  Of course both Honzek and Poirier extreme long shots but in a true competition think they have a shot.  I guess we'll see how far Conroy pushes the idea of "giving the kids a chance"... My line-up pushing the extreme, and based on Conroy's inability/unwillingness to trade his pending UFAs, another promise he made, I guess we should not get too excited about his promises until we see what the reality actually is.  

9 hours ago, cberg said:

Ah yes, I forgot Coleman.  I was trying to balance out the lines a bit, figuring Sharangovich might be a good match to get Ruzicka going at Centre along with better-than-expected Honzek pushing for a shot at making the team directly.  Also, I was figuring Poirier would also be pushing to make the team and Osterle there as the 7th D.  Of course both Honzek and Poirier extreme long shots but in a true competition think they have a shot.  I guess we'll see how far Conroy pushes the idea of "giving the kids a chance"... My line-up pushing the extreme, and based on Conroy's inability/unwillingness to trade his pending UFAs, another promise he made, I guess we should not get too excited about his promises until we see what the reality actually is.  

Honestly, I have to check Capfriendly to make sure I don't forget players!  For sure there is a youth movement afoot, but we do have Ruzie, Pelletier, Coronato, Wolf and Duehr to consider before we get to the likes of Poirier and Honzek.  Honzek may do enough to get 9 games, but I seriously doubt they want him to play a season.  Huska is going to have to balance the desire to use youth with the need for wins.  No different than any coach.

Could it be a possibility to use Dube as a C for the 3/4 line...he has played that position as well. And I think with his attitude, he will be able to call up more of his potential, due to the responsibility as C that comes with it. 

Pius Suter as 3/4 line C (traning camp decides if Dube or he gets to lead the 3 line) would provide a good foundation in the middle. What is still missing is the depth to react in case of injuries. This would have to be corrected via the draft in the coming years. 

I would probably try something like this: 

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Serangovich
Pelletier-Kadri-Coronato
Mangiapane-Suter- Duehr
Coleman-Dube-Ruzicka

Weegar-Ras
Kylington-Tanev
Zadorov-Oesterle

Coleman in the 4 line is a luxury not to be afforded in a cap world. Financially, though, it should be doable if the contracts of Backs, Hanifin and Vladar fall away (trades). 

This setup would also make it possible to use the lines equally. And if it becomes scarce, the two "Star Player lines" to force. 

On 8/9/2023 at 3:04 AM, Adrian_Flames_Fan said:

Could it be a possibility to use Dube as a C for the 3/4 line...he has played that position as well. And I think with his attitude, he will be able to call up more of his potential, due to the responsibility as C that comes with it. 

Pius Suter as 3/4 line C (traning camp decides if Dube or he gets to lead the 3 line) would provide a good foundation in the middle. What is still missing is the depth to react in case of injuries. This would have to be corrected via the draft in the coming years. 

I would probably try something like this: 

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Serangovich
Pelletier-Kadri-Coronato
Mangiapane-Suter- Duehr
Coleman-Dube-Ruzicka

Weegar-Ras
Kylington-Tanev
Zadorov-Oesterle

Coleman in the 4 line is a luxury not to be afforded in a cap world. Financially, though, it should be doable if the contracts of Backs, Hanifin and Vladar fall away (trades). 

This setup would also make it possible to use the lines equally. And if it becomes scarce, the two "Star Player lines" to force. 

Dube lacks strength to be an effective shut down Center.  Gets pushed around too easily.  Don't trust him as a 3rd line shutdown C against McDavid, Draisaitl, Eichel, Kopitar, etc in our division.  Let alone the rest of the league.

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Dube lacks strength to be an effective shut down Center.  Gets pushed around too easily.  Don't trust him as a 3rd line shutdown C against McDavid, Draisaitl, Eichel, Kopitar, etc in our division.  Let alone the rest of the league.

I would think that Suter might be an option for that.  Backlund is only as useful as him wanting to be here.  Once he wants out, we have to get rid of him.  Or at the very least TDL.

1 hour ago, Adrian_Flames_Fan said:

Suter is off the books... signed 2y with the nucks  😒

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Considering the AAV, that seems like missed opportunity.

ouch! A really missed opportunity. I really hope we have a vision because this begins to stink of the same ol' same ol'

1 hour ago, Adrian_Flames_Fan said:

When I saw the AAV I also think it is a miss 😔 he would have be a good 3rd line player... but with him some other would have to be gone... dube/mangi or coleman.... nothing I would love to give up

pretty easy slot for 4C at great value. Bummer.

49 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

ya, I agree. What does our #4 look like, and if we trade Backlund, who replaces him? 

But maybe Conroy does want to keep spots open for youth

Currently Rooney or Zary. Suter’s great at PK too and can play anywhere adequately. Chip in 15 and PK scoring. Good add for Van.