2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

No need to rush Poirier.  D usually needs to be 22-years-old before they can succeed at the NHL level.  Poirier is a bit of a smaller player so bulking up more helps.

Solovyov might be ready.  He's 23.  But we shall see.  

Who is rushing him?  He's an offensive D that played pretty well without the puck and is not a shrimp.

6'1" 196 vs Valikai 6'2" 205, and that is after growing into his frame a bit and age 24.

When we get scoring from the D, we tend to win more games.

If we trade Hanifin, we have to replace that somewhat.

Kylington, Ras, Zaddy, and Weegar bring that too, but we have to prepare for the exit of Tanev.

Gilbert is okay.  Bigger guy, not much offense.

Having Zaddy on a 3rd pair means you either skate Zaddy or you use his size on defense.

Pairing Poirier with him for 9 gmes isn't going to kill you.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Who is rushing him?  He's an offensive D that played pretty well without the puck and is not a shrimp.

6'1" 196 vs Valikai 6'2" 205, and that is after growing into his frame a bit and age 24.

When we get scoring from the D, we tend to win more games.

If we trade Hanifin, we have to replace that somewhat.

Kylington, Ras, Zaddy, and Weegar bring that too, but we have to prepare for the exit of Tanev.

Gilbert is okay.  Bigger guy, not much offense.

Having Zaddy on a 3rd pair means you either skate Zaddy or you use his size on defense.

Pairing Poirier with him for 9 gmes isn't going to kill you.

Poirier has only had one AHL season.  If he can make the jump, then I'm not complaining.  Just saying, from a "planning" perspective we should make room for him next season, not this one.

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Poirier has only had one AHL season.  If he can make the jump, then I'm not complaining.  Just saying, from a "planning" perspective we should make room for him next season, not this one.

I wasn't meaning to suggest he takes a spot for the year.  I think I said something like 9 games.  Gilbert played 24 last year.  DeSimone 4, Stone 43, Mackey 10.  We are chock full of players that never get called up and when we have the open roster spots, they are not ready.  They can't impress enough at TC because they have little experience at the NHL player level.  We have exactly 2 D spots signed past this season.  

Last year we were hampered by a coach that refused to play certain players and were forced to waive some players we maybe shouldn't have, but not waive those we should have.  Waiving Gilbert this year is all but a necessity.  It allows us to manage the D according to need.  With no Hanifin, Gilbert (and Poirier) would be 7th D.    

On 8/15/2023 at 9:50 AM, travel_dude said:

So many perspectives in here.  Me likey.  Anyway, I am a little fed up with doing nothing.  I'm not saying that Connie should have done everything by now, but we are not doing anything.  Lindholm may be a lynchpin, but his deal is next summer not today's greatest need.  We can make decisions on him a bit later (before October, but October not a deal breaker if he is signing).  If we know his intent, then we can sell him to the highest bidder.

I'm not sure what to do with Hanifin at this point.  We are risking it by trading him before the season starts, but we can't just hold onto him and hope to get a trade done sometime before TDL.  I think we have 6 other D that will prevent us from dropping like a stone in the standings.  What doesn't prevent that is failing to address the scoring and failing to capitalize on expiring contracts.  Are we hoping that all the kids will bring career seasons?  We saw that losing Gaudreau and Tkachuk decreased our scoring by a lot.  The adds didn't quite work out because the finishers weren't there.

So what is there to do?  Hanifin should bring back scoring in trade.  Doesn't have to be Nylander.  Backlund has been a trooper for preventing goals, but he is aging out.  If we were to extend him for a couple years at a reasonable cap hit, then the cap savings helps us get better by allowing rising stars to be brought in.  But you aren't getting a couple years of Backlund for that much less.  Tanev is a good thing to hang onto and possibly lose for nothing, since he is a defensive D that can be replaced by something similar.  Or he takes a bit of a cut as an older re-sign.  Zadorov seems like he would stay, so I doubt he gets more than he makes today.  Dube and Kylington are due for breakout seasons, which is good and bad for us, as both will need new deals.  We have Vladar for 2 more years, but Wolf is lined up for this year.

Gotta do a few things, so the longer we go the more likely we see a repeat line setup.

Agree, it is frustrating.  Hopefully the lids will bring their speed and enthusiasm at the least to make it interesting.  Thankfully, Conroy hasn't signed a bunch of over-the-hill vets....

1 hour ago, cberg said:

Agree, it is frustrating.  Hopefully the lids will bring their speed and enthusiasm at the least to make it interesting.  Thankfully, Conroy hasn't signed a bunch of over-the-hill vets....

Overpriced is bad.  Older vets is not an issue if you don't just gift them a spot.  

• 3 weeks later...

I don't love how the Flames forwards slot together when in their natural positions.  Centre ice is fine, but they are missing tools on the wing.  They don't have a single RH shot among their established NHL wingers.  They only have one winger that can stir the drink offensively.  They don't have any snipers.  They lack grit.  Basically, they have an army of wingers that can drive the play 5 v 5, get plenty of shots, but not score.  

Because of that, I move Kadri to the wing to start the season.  Doing that causes everything else to slot together wonderfully.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Kadri

Mangipanane-Backlund-Coleman

Sharangovich-Dube-Coronato

Pelletier-Ruzicka-Duehr

Weegar-Anderson

Kylington-Tanev

TBD-Zadorov

Markstrom

Vladar

I really like having Lindholm with Kadri-Huberdeau.  He can keep them honest defensively.  It gives you a similar dynamic to when he had Gaudreau and Tkachuk.  Plus it puts those two in a great position to rebound.  All three of these guys were 100+ point players at one point.  

45 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Do you think so? I didn't see anything from Kadri-Huberdeau last year. You figure putting Naz on the wing, and moving Huberdeau to his natural side will get the best from both?

Love.

To be fair, when Kadri and Huberdeau were on the same line last season Huby was on his off-wing and Lucic was the third man. 

One of the stranger deployments we saw from Sutter last season.

56 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Do you think so? I didn't see anything from Kadri-Huberdeau last year. You figure putting Naz on the wing, and moving Huberdeau to his natural side will get the best from both?

Love.

I don't know.  Nothing really worked last year so its not a great metric.  I think the coaching change and system change is going to help these guys out and on paper they are a good combination. I agree they didn't look great together last season, but I think the biggest issue was Kadri.  He put up a reasonable number of points but ended up a -19.  My hope is moving him to the wing is going to help his game. 

7 minutes ago, kehatch said:

I don't know.  Nothing really worked last year so its not a great metric.  I think the coaching change and system change is going to help these guys out and on paper they are a good combination. I agree they didn't look great together last season, but I think the biggest issue was Kadri.  He put up a reasonable number of points but ended up a -19.  My hope is moving him to the wing is going to help his game. 

Might be better to go with,

Hubderdeau - Kadri - Lindholm

At least everyone is in their natural position.  I think we should just top load because even top loaded, this is barely scaring anyone.  It's 75-points for all three.  If it's all we got then that's all we got.

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Might be better to go with,

Hubderdeau - Kadri - Lindholm

At least everyone is in their natural position.  I think we should just top load because even top loaded, this is barely scaring anyone.  It's 75-points for all three.  If it's all we got then that's all we got.

Maybe, but I don't think its fair to suggest Lindholm isn't a natural C.  He has had a lot of success there, including being second in voting for the Selke.  I think he fits C a lot better then Kadri due to his defensive play. 

• Like 1

I think keep Kadri on a 2nd scoring line. 

I like the idea of top loading, but I try Sharangovich on the first to see if his speed and drive the net presence opens up space for Huberdeau. If not, try Coranato there. 

put the kids in spots that allow for them to showcase their skill. Allow them to make mistakes. 

im kind of tired of the idea they have to earn it, starting them on 4th lines while other teams rookies seem to get to play in their natural spots when the time is right

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I think keep Kadri on a 2nd scoring line. 

I like the idea of top loading, but I try Sharangovich on the first to see if his speed and drive the net presence opens up space for Huberdeau. If not, try Coranato there. 

put the kids in spots that allow for them to showcase their skill. Allow them to make mistakes. 

im kind of tired of the idea they have to earn it, starting them on 4th lines while other teams rookies seem to get to play in their natural spots when the time is right

I think we have to have an open mind.  Huberdeau was relugated to LW and it didn't work, but we stayed with it forever.  There's a good chance that Kadri with new line mates could explode.  Or Huberdeau with Lindy and Govich could be money.  Or Pelletier or Coronato become top players.  Gotta try them out

43 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think we have to have an open mind.  Huberdeau was relugated to LW and it didn't work, but we stayed with it forever.  There's a good chance that Kadri with new line mates could explode.  Or Huberdeau with Lindy and Govich could be money.  Or Pelletier or Coronato become top players.  Gotta try them out

i think we can define earning a spot as maintaining their play on that line. Every line has a bad game or three but how long to keep with it is the main thing. Playing those guys with guys barely in the league doesn't help, it just drags them into the same mud they play in. 

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i think we can define earning a spot as maintaining their play on that line. Every line has a bad game or three but how long to keep with it is the main thing. Playing those guys with guys barely in the league doesn't help, it just drags them into the same mud they play in. 

Just to add, how many times do you see a bottom 6 player on a "roll" so earns a top 6 spot, only to end the roll he was on, put him back, and the roll is over?

Sutter spent an entire season trying to "fix" one line at the expense of others. I think there is a point where your lines are your lines. You have camps and practices. One line dries up, another picks up the slack. When you get to January and you're still adjusting, maybe you're overworking the dough Mr. Baker?

But don't get me started. The moment we got Huberdeau my thought was, let's try Huberdeau-Lindholm-Dube.

I'm not saying it will be perfect. Just try it.

The only combination he NEVER tried. What am I chopped liver?lol

Let's reflect.

The season begins with Mangiapane-Kadri-Dube looking like a really good line. Nope says the chef, needs more meat. Adds gamey old Lucic in place of Mangiapane. The whole thing goes south and the chef just keeps adding salt until the whole dish is ruined.

Damn, I must be hungry.

Long and short, give Dube a home. Stop making him the flux player of every line. He's too good a player to constantly change his role. For once, give him a consistent spot.

1st or 2nd line RW and keep him there for %$^# sake. He isn't the problem. Just shuffle him so damn much that you make it look like he is.

edit

It's Dube, so I might as well address the HC scandal. Too many keyboard warriors "don't like his statement".lol

Hockey players are cliquey af. Regionally. It's going to be ALL OHL players, if not just ALL Knights players. WC players would not be in their clique. Not even maybe. They are competing leagues similar to competing teams. They aren't buddies off of the ice. Zero chance Dube's involved. 90% chance this all lands squarely on the London Knights/former Knights. That should be a given. That this got exposed in London is only surprising in that it got exposed due to being a national event. Well, hang around for the non-national events...

Should also add Kyrou as a Sarnia player. There is zero chance that he's buddying up with Knights players. Minus value. Zero chance.

I'm pretty on the fence about releasing names. Dole out heavy punishment. Publicizing their names is going to completely destroy their future lives.

Queue the, "and they deserve it" crowd. Like they'd want the worst choice they ever made thrown out for the whole world to judge them on with little background knowledge.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Just to add, how many times do you see a bottom 6 player on a "roll" so earns a top 6 spot, only to end the roll he was on, put him back, and the roll is over?

Sutter spent an entire season trying to "fix" one line at the expense of others. I think there is a point where your lines are your lines. You have camps and practices. One line dries up, another picks up the slack. When you get to January and you're still adjusting, maybe you're overworking the dough Mr. Baker?

But don't get me started. The moment we got Huberdeau my thought was, let's try Huberdeau-Lindholm-Dube.

While I agree that Sutter was a little too cavalier in changing lines, sticking to specific lines until they work isn't realistic.  Even the best lines in hockey usually clock in around 400 minutes of time, and the Flames had two lines at that level last season (including the great Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman line).  

A good coach can tell pretty quickly if there is chemistry.  The issue with line juggling last season wasn't really the coach.  It was: 

1. Huberdeau and Kadri not fitting in with the team or system
  2. A lack of parts.  There isn't aren't any obvious fits for the top six wingers, especially if you leave the Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman line together.  

I expect you may get your wish this season though.  Barring additional roster changes, moving a C to the wing, or a kid exploding early, Dube and Sharangovich are the only reasonable candidates to play RW on the top line.   

The safe line up bet:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Sharangovich/Dube

Some Kid-Kadri-Sharongovich/Dube

Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kehatch said:

While I agree that Sutter was a little too cavalier in changing lines, sticking to specific lines until they work isn't realistic.  Even the best lines in hockey usually clock in around 400 minutes of time, and the Flames had two lines at that level last season (including the great Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman line).  

A good coach can tell pretty quickly if there is chemistry.  The issue with line juggling last season wasn't really the coach.  It was: 

1. Huberdeau and Kadri not fitting in with the team or system
  2. A lack of parts.  There isn't aren't any obvious fits for the top six wingers, especially if you leave the Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman line together.  

I expect you may get your wish this season though.  Barring additional roster changes, moving a C to the wing, or a kid exploding early, Dube and Sharangovich are the only reasonable candidates to play RW on the top line.   

The safe line up bet:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Sharangovich/Dube

Some Kid-Kadri-Sharongovich/Dube

Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman

Fair enough. I think most games everyone was following Steinberg for lines as they were a mystery more often than not. Win, same lines, lose, sky's the limit. I didn't really sense that it was opponent-based, though that's an aspect.

I guess we'll see where Coronato's at as well as a top 6 RW. It's not beyond imagining that he can take it. I think we'll see Knies in a top 6 role with TML. If that's the case, Coronato would be close. A little off topic, but the talent pouring out of US colleges now, vs say 5 years ago, has really picked up momentum. The US is really coming on at a huge pace.

Meanwhile, I think that you're correct on those lines with Pelletier being some kid.lol

I've always championed him since drafting, won't stop now. Such a smart player. He'll be solid.

Famous last words.

35 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Fair enough. I think most games everyone was following Steinberg for lines as they were a mystery more often than not. Win, same lines, lose, sky's the limit. I didn't really sense that it was opponent-based, though that's an aspect.

I guess we'll see where Coronato's at as well as a top 6 RW. It's not beyond imagining that he can take it. I think we'll see Knies in a top 6 role with TML. If that's the case, Coronato would be close. A little off topic, but the talent pouring out of US colleges now, vs say 5 years ago, has really picked up momentum. The US is really coming on at a huge pace.

Meanwhile, I think that you're correct on those lines with Pelletier being some kid.lol

I've always championed him since drafting, won't stop now. Such a smart player. He'll be solid.

Famous last words.

Scoring Line 1:

Huberdeau, Lindholm, Dube/Coronato/Sharangovich

I think the first line needs to play with pace. Let Lindholm be offensive and defensive, but allow his offence to shine. It's how we need to use his skillset. I think it's the same with Dube, they should never have separated him from Bennett, and found a proper LW for them instead of "promoting" Dube. It's history, but I think if they can play with pace, I think Lindholm with Huberdeau and Dube could be a good thing. Not an ideal first line scoring threat, but we just need the lines to contribute consistently enough.

Design the play so that Lindholm can get into the shooting areas. Dube can too, so I think concentrating on east-west/west-east movement to throw-off the other team for them. I think it's the same philosophy if we had Coronato or Sharangovich there. My real preference is to try Coronato with Huberdeau first though, then Sharangovich and then Dube. But I agree, I want Dube to have a set role. Could be Scoring Line 1. 

A playmaker, with a semi-playmaker/shooter and a shooter (Coronato or Sharangovich). Dube is like Huberdeau, can shoot but mostly drives play forward and can pass.

Scoring Line 2:

Pelletier/Ruzicka, Kadri, Sharangovich/Coronato

Kadri with Sharangovich (Or Coronato) and Pelletier could be a good line, a playmaker, with a semi-playmaker/shooter, and a shooter that can move and get into scoring areas. If Sharangovich can drive the net he can open up space for the others. Similarly, if he gets put on a line with Huberdeau and Lindholm. I like separating the size though, playing Dube with the other two and Shargovich with Pelletier, so that the line isn't so small. I think that is what Sutter didn't like about Mangiapane with Dube and Kadri. While they could move, they would have gotten pushed around a lot. Maybe Ruzicka is the guy to play the soft big guy role. Isn't Nichushkin a bit more of a softy  but with great hands and decent wheels?

Third line:

Mangiapane/Pelletier, Backlund, Coronato/Coleman

Keep the Backlund, Mangiapane and Coleman line together. But if Coronato doesn't play up the lineup, I think Backlund is the right C for him. Problem here is Mangiapane is a bulldog shooter and plays ok with others, but really only makes space for himself. I think that his skills might be similar to Coronato... I kind of want to trade Mangiapane, but then we need more shooters. I do want to keep the smaller guys on separate lines so that they don't get pushed around. Mangiapane falls so often that it makes it a problem with other smaller players. 

Fourth line:

Coleman/Mangiapane, Dube/Ruzicka, Duehr

A bit of offensive flare with some intensity. 

When we look at the lines, if they're put together well enough, we can have a good team. I think lines will determine the outcome. Hoping Markstrom comes to play and isn't thinking about baby this year too much. We don't know if his wife was having complications in her pregnancy. There are a lot of things to think about when worried about something like that. But we will see... 

I don't want to see all of the younger guys on the fourth line together. I want to see them insulated by vets and I think it's a great way to teach them and gain consistency.  My lines are muffled and all over the place. That seems to be where we are at though. 

I would concentrate on having a guy who pushes up ice, can pass and with someone that has passing and shooting tendencies with a shooter.

Passers: Huberdeau, Pelletier

Shooters: Sharangovich, Coronato, Mangiapane, Coleman, Duehr. 

Both: Lindholm, Kadri, Backlund, Dube, (maybe) Ruzicka, Zary

Long story short, even out the lines between size, shooters/passers and both, with players who are two-way to balance other players who have some more offensive tendencies over defensive, and maybe defensive with ones that lack it. Balance strengths and weaknesses...

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Passers: Huberdeau, Pelletier

Shooters: Sharangovich, Coronato, Mangiapane, Coleman, Duehr. 

Both: Lindholm, Kadri, Backlund, Dube, (maybe) Ruzicka, Zary

Just quoted a snippet. This should be accurate, Ruzicka should be a shooter. If he could model his game after Lindholm would be great. Lindy finds soft areas in the slot to whip it from and Rozie should be doing the same. The problem is teammates have to see them. I think this is an issue with Mangiapane. He's pretty good at sneaking into those areas but rarely gets the puck there.

I think we have the parts, but I hope our O approach changes. I'd say we run O 5v5 like it's a PP. You want to get set up on a PP. 5v5, get in hard, win a forecheck puck and it always goes back to the point to get set up. But it's 5v5 so now the opponent is set up in their D stance too. So we get lots of O zone time and shots but everyone is positionally ready. There is very little chaos. The other team practices D, so while you're setting up so are they.

Because I watch the Wings a lot it's an easy comparison. They thread passes all over from the hashmarks down quickly. That's how they score. They thrive on chaos and defenders out of position with quick puck movement.

Back to the D is about the 3rd option. It's Calgary's first option pretty much religiously. I'd like to see that change.

It's very easy to see the difference between the 2 teams. Detroit had a handful of 3-4 goal comeback wins last year by throwing caution to the wind and playing high chaos. Calgary goes down by 1 and they don't change, just try not to go down by 2.

It's not an entertaining brand.

If Detroit isn't a great example, look at NJ, FLA, Buffalo. Even us with Tkachuk and JG 2 years ago. They're scoring by creating chaos. Fwds are always moving, defenders getting crossed up etc.

Free our forwards, stop making every O zone possession about x's and o's. Let them have their fun.lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Back to the D is about the 3rd option. It's Calgary's first option pretty much religiously. I'd like to see that change.

Back to the D isnt a bad option if utilized properly. Guys like Ras and Z have heavy shots that never get used enough or never get screened/tipped properly. Thats partially why 2nd and 3rd string goalies look like veznia candidates against the team.

13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Just quoted a snippet. This should be accurate, Ruzicka should be a shooter. If he could model his game after Lindholm would be great. Lindy finds soft areas in the slot to whip it from and Rozie should be doing the same. The problem is teammates have to see them. I think this is an issue with Mangiapane. He's pretty good at sneaking into those areas but rarely gets the puck there.

I think we have the parts, but I hope our O approach changes. I'd say we run O 5v5 like it's a PP. You want to get set up on a PP. 5v5, get in hard, win a forecheck puck and it always goes back to the point to get set up. But it's 5v5 so now the opponent is set up in their D stance too. So we get lots of O zone time and shots but everyone is positionally ready. There is very little chaos. The other team practices D, so while you're setting up so are they.

Because I watch the Wings a lot it's an easy comparison. They thread passes all over from the hashmarks down quickly. That's how they score. They thrive on chaos and defenders out of position with quick puck movement.

It's very easy to see the difference between the 2 teams. Detroit had a handful of 3-4 goal comeback wins last year by throwing caution to the wind and playing high chaos. Calgary goes down by 1 and they don't change, just try not to go down by 2.

If Detroit isn't a great example, look at NJ, FLA, Buffalo. Even us with Tkachuk and JG 2 years ago. They're scoring by creating chaos. Fwds are always moving, defenders getting crossed up etc.

Free our forwards, stop making every O zone possession about x's and o's. Let them have their fun.lol

I agree, movement and quick passes. I believe there can be something there if they can tap it. 

I think the team has gone too conservative over the past 8 years. They go with what worked, when I think they should be trying something new all the time.

we look at Ovechkin. He always played with Backstrom, until a young player came along... but you never know until you try it. And then when Monahan got injured, no one knew if anyone could handle the role. I believe Bennett could have if given the Lindholm (play me there for more than a few games) treatment.

13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

This is 100%.  He has the shot and should be using it first and grinding last.

I'm not saying that agressive forecheck isn't the way to go.  Not at all.

You get the puck free, get to a spot and fire it.  Not firing it from a Gaudreau angle like the series winner.

That works once in 10 at best, more likely one in 50.  You are way more likely to score off his head.

Our PP really frustrated me.  

It seemed like we would encroach on the net.  Keep the puck down low.

Then, oops, back to the point.  Loss of territory that you just gained.

If you have an active screen and a player that can hit the net or fake the pass down low, well fine I guess.

Works as much as trying to hit a 6x6 inch target through 5 guys in the way.

Pavelski has a knack for the deft touch, but we mostly get in the way or it goes wide.

9 out of 10 it goes nowhere near the target.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

This is 100%.  He has the shot and should be using it first and grinding last.

I'm not saying that agressive forecheck isn't the way to go.  Not at all.

You get the puck free, get to a spot and fire it.  Not firing it from a Gaudreau angle like the series winner.

That works once in 10 at best, more likely one in 50.  You are way more likely to score off his head.

Our PP really frustrated me.  

It seemed like we would encroach on the net.  Keep the puck down low.

Then, oops, back to the point.  Loss of territory that you just gained.

If you have an active screen and a player that can hit the net or fake the pass down low, well fine I guess.

Works as much as trying to hit a 6x6 inch target through 5 guys in the way.

Pavelski has a knack for the deft touch, but we mostly get in the way or it goes wide.

9 out of 10 it goes nowhere near the target.

The PP is slow. Everyone has to hold the puck, have a look, safe pass and repeat. Not getting the defenders moving much, too tentative. I find myself constantly muttering, "guys, it's only 2 minutes, move the puck".

34 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The PP is slow. Everyone has to hold the puck, have a look, safe pass and repeat. Not getting the defenders moving much, too tentative. I find myself constantly muttering, "guys, it's only 2 minutes, move the puck".

I can't repeat here what I yell at the TV.  

A lot of seems to refer to Crypto.....

Blockchain this, blockchain that.