2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

Based on the game last night, From what I saw it's going to be magical chairs for 4th line C, I would say I give the edge to Zary. Rooney is a bust for me not even a standout in the AHL. Schwindt and Hunt show moments but in last night's game, they were both overwhelmed with the talent and speed of the game, Zary did not.  One guy who has been extremely underwhelming for me is Sharangovich, he seems fine defensively but where is this big shot he has, have not seen it once. IMHO he should be in the 4th line right now, play his way up, and build some confidence.  There is no way in Hell does Govih be gifted a top 6 spot, others have shown far better than him. I am not a big fan of Mags up there either but he is a best choice for now. 

Hubie Lindholm Mags

Ruzicka Kadri Corronato

Dube Backs Coleman

Govich Zary Duehr

This to me has the speed and protection that is required for each line. You need the best players to be the best players. What we have with this is speed through the roster now, the bottom 6 should be better than last year. 

What concerns me the most this season is D and goaltending, none of the goalies have looked great and the new coverage seems to be a mystery to most of them. With the silence of Kylington just LTIR him and be done with him. Osterle has been fine when the talent isn't high quality but was a huge liability last night. Solv was OK, really if you're looking for a Kylington replacement then Porier is the best option. He has been slow back from his injury but appeared to be fine with the talent level last night.  Put him with Tanev, Tanev makes everyone better. 

Hanifin Anderson

Weegar Zadorov

Tanev Porier 

Osterle

Rooney I believe is injured?

Seems to me to come down to Schwindt or Hunt for the 4th line.   Although Huska did seem high on Zary's game from last night I'm not sure Zary is a fot for 4th line.  Not seen any pre season action apart from highlights so can't really comment on performance.

I am a bit concered about size.  We have lost Lucic and although the enforcer role is long gone who is going to step up and keep other teams honest?   Could Klapka do this?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I agree completely. Phillips is a guy that I'll hope and cheer does well. But I definitely won't turn around on the Flames and say they screwed up. Great to see him have a nice camp and earn some praise. But it ends there, he's not a top 6 here, move along.

Besides, a Calgary kid that grew up a Wings fan. So in the '04 playoffs when he was 3, he would have been cheering for the Wings when we devastated them.

Who needs that kind of cancer in the locker room?

And do I really need to add the /s, or should I hold out for the /swoosh?

Wow thats a stretch look at most of our players are fan of there home team so by your way of thinking our whole team is a cancer come on ? I think we never gave Philips a chance thanks to sutter one game in the N doesn't really allow him to show anything at all. I say he will dominate with the caps pull at least 30 goals I hnope always likked the kid or man now I guess.

19 minutes ago, zima said:

Wow thats a stretch look at most of our players are fan of there home team so by your way of thinking our whole team is a cancer come on ? I think we never gave Philips a chance thanks to sutter one game in the N doesn't really allow him to show anything at all. I say he will dominate with the caps pull at least 30 goals I hnope always likked the kid or man now I guess.

I believe he was joking with the cancer comment, but Phillips has stated he was a Wings fan growing up.  Some times people need to let things play out before going online with their expert analysis on the future.  How did the Coronato will never sign here play out for you?

44 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Rooney I believe is injured?

Seems to me to come down to Schwindt or Hunt for the 4th line.   Although Huska did seem high on Zary's game from last night I'm not sure Zary is a fot for 4th line.  Not seen any pre season action apart from highlights so can't really comment on performance.

I am a bit concered about size.  We have lost Lucic and although the enforcer role is long gone who is going to step up and keep other teams honest?   Could Klapka do this?

Personally, if you asked Zary 8-10 minutes in the big league or 15 -18 minutes in the AHL, pretty sure he would take option A. With the way the roster is lining up we have no option but to settle for skill versus size. I for one agree that without some form of inimidition other clubs are going to take liberties with skilled players. Zary is my choice at 4th line Center right now based on observations of the preseason, last night's game was the defining factor. Schwindt and Hunt were overwhelmed last night and it didn't seem to affect Zary. Really it is going to be musical chairs anyway on the 4th line. Coronato has proven he can play so has deserves a shot at the top 6 until proven otherwise. Ruzicka, Sigh I give him an opportunity in the top 6, man the guy who has it just doesn't use it, would be extremely frustrating as a developed person or a coach as its great than crap there is never a middle ground.  Sharangovich really has been very underwhelming IMHO. He has the speed, very defensively sound, but this shot that Conroy speaks of has not seen it. Putting him on the 4th line with Zary and Duehr IMHO is not a bad idea. He is going to be a great skater and he will be vital on the penalty kill as well. So it's not like he isn't going to get 12-16 minutes of ice time. I think Klapka should be your 13 man on the forward roster

Zary and Wolf the most notable cuts, followed by Poirier, Kuznetsov, and Ciona with Honzek back to junior.  My guess from here would be Schwindt last forward cut, I think Gilbert will be the last D cut with Kylington and Rooney to the IR.  I get the argument to have Zary over Schwindt, Klapka or Hunt, but at the same time 1 will be a 13th forward and 1 is likely a placeholder for Pelts.  I do hope Zary gets up at some point this year and will have more of an opportunity to stick.

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Zary and Wolf the most notable cuts, followed by Poirier, Kuznetsov, and Ciona with Honzek back to junior.  My guess from here would be Schwindt last forward cut, I think Gilbert will be the last D cut with Kylington and Rooney to the IR.  I get the argument to have Zary over Schwindt, Klapka or Hunt, but at the same time 1 will be a 13th forward and 1 is likely a placeholder for Pelts.  I do hope Zary gets up at some point this year and will have more of an opportunity to stick.

Well so much for my thoughts. For me, Schindt and Hunt are just too far of a reach even at 4th line minutes. The Coronato with Backs IMHO they are trying to establish the Mag's effect and hope Corronato elevates to a huge producer while sheltering him for the first little stretch.  I love Dube but the guy is not that great at putting the biscuit in the basket.  Not a fan of Osterle just think he is going to be a huge liability for this team

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

I don't really get Schwindt to be honest. I don't see an NHL player there myself. 

Probably more about what is best for Zary? I get what TMac is saying about him preferring option A in their scenario. I prefer Zary be primed for the Top9 roles. I haven't seen any camp at all and would like to have him developed (from what I saw last season, he might have needed longer). 

Have there not been any waiver-wire players that could fill that role for the 4th line?

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Probably more about what is best for Zary? I get what TMac is saying about him preferring option A in their scenario. I prefer Zary be primed for the Top9 roles. I haven't seen any camp at all and would like to have him developed (from what I saw last season, he might have needed longer). 

Have there not been any waiver-wire players that could fill that role for the 4th line?

Most teams still at the 30 player range.  The lesser ones waived to date, but a few may have slipped through.  Didn't pay much attention yet to rosters.  Too much work to look through them all.  

14 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Could be. As I outlind I don't think a 4th line role for Zary is a problem so long as there is a plan. sure if it's just a "play 4th line and we'll see what happens" that isn't good for him but I think you can develop players on the 4th line. 

I think it's likely the see Schwindt as a safer option. Decent on draws, big body, shouldn't "hurt" you but doesn't offer much, and does provide the safety of Zary in the A playing more. 

Not egregious I'm just not seeing much in Schwindt (last year or this year) that tells me there is an NHLer there. 

Waivers being an option for the Flames really hinges on Kylington. If they can LTIR him then I think waivers are a possibility but if they can't then I don't think they have the cap space to claim anyone. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Zary is very close IMO. but I agree with you. Don't wanna see him bottom 6 

Schwindt profiles as a 4th liner. He would

likely be fine in that role. Big body and a RHS. 

I would like to see Zary get a shot. He is going to have to start in a 4th line role. He’s not gonna be ahead of Lindholm/Kadri/Backlund. Would be nice to see what the Flames have in the former first round pick.

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Schwindt profiles as a 4th liner. He would

likely be fine in that role. Big body and a RHS. 

I would like to see Zary get a shot. He is going to have to start in a 4th line role. He’s not gonna be ahead of Lindholm/Kadri/Backlund. Would be nice to see what the Flames have in the former first round pick.

So, the comments from Huska were odd.  Zary is better suited for top 9.  In other words, look to just being big.  Klapka being still there is a nod to that theory.  As far as Klapka goes, he can't fight well, so being big is his best tool.  Fringe NHL at best.  Schwindt being here is puzzling.  With the 3 guys heading to IR (Kyl, Rooney and Pelts), we have 27 peeps.  

I get a little confused, but it appears that Solovyov and Gilbert remain, while DeSimone was being waived.

Pospisil, Pettersen waived, leaving the extras of Duehr, Hunt, Klapka and Schwindt.  That's close to the magic number of 23 healthy bodies.  Hunt or Klapka being the likely victims.  

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

I believe he was joking with the cancer comment, but Phillips has stated he was a Wings fan growing up.  Some times people need to let things play out before going online with their expert analysis on the future.  How did the Coronato will never sign here play out for you?

I'm Glad he did I wanted him to sign just seems to me it is a huge risk drafting college kids I guess you win a few and so on. So I guess you never have an opinion my opinion says Philips will kill it the Caps. Please give me your expert opinion would love to hear and trust me I won't Satoshi Nakamoto on your parade enjoy.  

15 minutes ago, zima said:

I'm Glad he did I wanted him to sign just seems to me it is a huge risk drafting college kids I guess you win a few and so on. So I guess you never have an opinion my opinion says Philips will kill it the Caps. Please give me your expert opinion would love to hear and trust me I won't Satoshi Nakamoto on your parade enjoy.  

No reason to get upset. I watch my fair share of US born kids. They do not have a problem with Canada and are generally really upstanding kids. The odd one that dictates gets waaaay to much airtime as it is not close to normal.

My opinion, Phillips isn't going to kill it. I mean, Bedard might be able to, but that is far from a guarantee. The NHL is hard as nails. I hope Phillips can find away but he definitely won't be lighting it up.

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, the comments from Huska were odd.  Zary is better suited for top 9. 

I worry a lot about Veleno-vibes for Zary. Veleno was up too early by at least a year. Now it's like an unending struggle to rise above the 4C. I am definitely okay with continuing to develop Zary. Didn't really see Schwindt being a possible answer, but here we are. Solovyov is getting his deserved notice. I have some faith in the hockey ops.

My lack of understanding doesn't = they're failing.lol

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I worry a lot about Veleno-vibes for Zary. Veleno was up too early by at least a year. Now it's like an unending struggle to rise above the 4C. I am definitely okay with continuing to develop Zary. Didn't really see Schwindt being a possible answer, but here we are. Solovyov is getting his deserved notice. I have some faith in the hockey ops.

My lack of understanding doesn't = they're failing.lol

That's funny about understanding. 

If you look at the competition to win a NHL job and the difference in pay, picking a guy because he is more likely a 4th liner at best over a top 9 at best guy sends a wrong signal.  I don't want top go off on a big tangent, but Pelletier was a top 9 guy that eventually was picked to come up, after Zohorna.  Both played 4th line.  Pelletier rose above it.  How is that really any worse than picking the best available, regardless of slotting him.

Solovyov is interesting.  Held his own last night.  Paired with Gilbert.  He may get the shot over Gilbert but who knows.  Gilbert is willing to fight anyone.  Maybe not the best decision making for impact to the game, but we sometimes need it.

What I had seen of Zary was that he is capable when played with capable players.  He doesn't drive a line.  He doesn't make them worse.  With Duehr and Coleman, I think you have a more competent 4th line.

Alas, some of this may be roster limit and money driven.  Easy to send down Zary, Schwindt, Klapka any time.  Connie knows something about maximizing cap, so his decisions may be somewhat due to maximizing cap space and LTIR usage.  I haven't looked too closely at it yet, since we still have a final set of cuts and one pre-season game remaining.  I'm more annoyed they wasted time on fringe goalies and gave Wolf one game.    

20 minutes ago, zima said:

Okay here's where I'm at, its not your opinion on the matter that's the issue its how you come across.  With Coronato I was annoyed because you only used one example and needed to throw it out all the time.  People told you most players do sign with their drafted team you still made it a Canada/US thing, people point out that plenty of American college free agents have signed here like Hathaway, Duehr, Mackey, you provide no counter than your original argument, we point out UFA's that sign here like Coleman, and you still come with the same argument. 

If you frame your argument that he will score 30 goals and dominate and call it another organizational failure based on what he's doing in training camp, its different than saying I think he can score 30, the second argument is one I'd debate, the first is one I feel like mocking when it doesn't happen.  Last summer I felt Johnny would sign, I'll own up to being wrong, but I've never guaranteed it would happen.  I know I don't have the general doom and gloom and find fault in everything the organization does, but I've never guaranteed success either.  I don't really have an opinion on whether the guy will succeed or not in Washington, I can make you a long list of AHL producers who don't make the jump to the NHL, and I've seen plenty of players come to training camp and shine only to be average at best NHLers, only time will tell.  My only argument is with the crowd of Flames fans who are bringing him up anytime he does something, are they doing it out of rooting for the players success or do they just want another thing to complain about the team, to me I feel the majority are in the 2nd category.

22 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Out of the 8 picks in 2020, who would have thought Solovyov is the most likely to make the NHL first?

Not bad for a 7th rounder. Seems like he’s passed Kuznetsov on the depth chart.

In 2020 I wouldn't have thought it, but last year watching the Wranglers a little more I would've said he was the most NHL ready of the 3, but to be fair he does have 2 years on the others, Poirier's upside is still better but always nice if your 7th rounder provides some hope.

• Like 1

I've liked Solovyov for a while so i'm not surprised he's pushing for a spot. He's your prototype bottom pairing dman. Safe, steady, reliable, kind of a coaches dream to be honest. I'm not sure there is upside past that but I do think the Flames have some solid value in the 7th rounder. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Any thoughts on Alex Nylander?  On waivers.  Not that high end, but very cheap.  No worse than claiming Zohorna.  In fact, at least he has some skills.

Could help with the Wranglers to fill the loss of Phillips and Pelletier, but I don't see him as an NHLer.