2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

16 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not a surprise. Hasn't been very good since coming back from surgery and probably should have spent more time in the A post operation. 

I suspect he is done here for the season.  2 regular call ups remaining.  Might as well get back up to speed and play in the AHL playoffs.  

On a side note, why are we still carrying 8D?  Gilbert won't get back into the lineup.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I suspect he is done here for the season.  2 regular call ups remaining.  Might as well get back up to speed and play in the AHL playoffs.  

On a side note, why are we still carrying 8D?  Gilbert won't get back into the lineup.

Probably don't want to lose anyone off waivers

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Probably don't want to lose anyone off waivers

Well I guess he won't be able to play in the AHL playoffs, so might as well keep him for now I guess.  When Zary comes back we can always send down Okhotiuk to the AHL to make roster space.

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well I guess he won't be able to play in the AHL playoffs, so might as well keep him for now I guess.  When Zary comes back we can always send down Okhotiuk to the AHL to make roster space.

He needs waivers. Don't think the Flames would risk it. 

I don't think Gilbert views himself as an AHL player so keeping him up here is best for him too I think. 

36 minutes ago, cross16 said:

He needs waivers. Don't think the Flames would risk it. 

I don't think Gilbert views himself as an AHL player so keeping him up here is best for him too I think. 

I saw the ELC for him, but didn't notice his lack of waiver exemption.

So, here is my problem with the lineup when Zary comes back.

Coronato is the only remaining exempt player that's on a regular recall.

A few games ago, I would have suggested we send him back down.

His recent play suggested he was one of the few Flames playing well.

What would you suggest?

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I saw the ELC for him, but didn't notice his lack of waiver exemption.

So, here is my problem with the lineup when Zary comes back.

Coronato is the only remaining exempt player that's on a regular recall.

A few games ago, I would have suggested we send him back down.

His recent play suggested he was one of the few Flames playing well.

What would you suggest?

For the roster? why do anything. Remember there is no more roster limit after the trade deadline. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

For the roster? why do anything. Remember there is no more roster limit after the trade deadline. 

I can't keep that straight.  Between the cap and roster numbers and number of regular recalls and reserve list, I just defer to the guys that know.  I thought that the sending down of Pelletier had to also do with number of roster spots.  Seeing as they still have 13F, 8D and 2G (plus Wolf on an emergency callup), that was an oversight on my part.

With Pelletier, it doesn't make any sense to yoyo him up again with only 14 games left.  Keep him down there.  We may need a F at some point, but use it on a guy that hasn't been up or maybe fills a need or deserves a chance.  We will have 14F once Zary is back, and guys will come in and go out of the lineup.  May choose to bring up a couple of young guys to give vets a couple of games off.  

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Vladar done for the year with hip surgery. 

Hope this means there is a plan to make sure Wolf plays down the stretch and they don't just hand the net back to Markstrom

I think the best thing is to have them start Wolf and Markstrom provided tips.

Then give a game to Markstrom then Wolf.

7-7 split.

The season is toast, so playing Wolf benefits the Wranglers for the playoffs.

Maybe send him down a week before the season is done and bring up Dansk?

Give him a couple games down there to adjust.

Just a thought.

I have no issue keeping Wolf up here to the end if they give him regular starts.

^^^^^

Those are probably as close to the best we can put out there.

Hunt and Coronato both deserve to stay in, but both add a different element.

Coronato has a better shot and nose for the play.

Hunt has a better forecheck and 2 way play.

Yeah I'm with TD.  I would go with Coronato in for Kuzmenko but otherwise thats pretty much our best lines at this time.

Hunt has grown on me.  Sort of guy you can play up and down the line as needed.

With Vladar out might aswell give Wolf lots of reps.

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Yeah I'm with TD.  I would go with Coronato in for Kuzmenko but otherwise thats pretty much our best lines at this time.

Hunt has grown on me.  Sort of guy you can play up and down the line as needed.

With Vladar out might aswell give Wolf lots of reps.

To be more clear, I wasn't suggesting Kuzmenko needed to sit.

That's the problem with our lineup, there is no clear fit for Coronato.

Greer is doing well enough to play, as is Rooney and Hunt.

Kuzmenko, when the line is pushing the play, is as good as Huberdeau.

The line can be trouble without the puck, and it isn't just Kuzmenko.

I think Hunt is doing what he can, and I think 4th line is best fit.

I think I would like to see Coronato or Kuzmenko with Backlund and Coleman.

SO, that means you sit Mangiapane.

I've liked a lot of what Huska has done this year, but it's pretty inexcusable for Huska to be sitting Coronato right now.

If Huska wants to coach this team for more than two or three years, he's going to need Coronato to develop. Not gonna happen when he's sitting for Greer and Hunt.

I can understand the argument that it may not be beneficial for Coronato to be a bottom six player. Simple fix though, you knock Kuzmenko or Mangiapane down the lineup. Neither will or should be here long term. Give Coronato big minutes on one of Backlund or Sharangovich's line.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I've liked a lot of what Huska has done this year, but it's pretty inexcusable for Huska to be sitting Coronato right now.

If Huska wants to coach this team for more than two or three years, he's going to need Coronato to develop. Not gonna happen when he's sitting for Greer and Hunt.

I can understand the argument that it may not be beneficial for Coronato to be a bottom six player. Simple fix though, you knock Kuzmenko or Mangiapane down the lineup. Neither will or should be here long term. Give Coronato big minutes on one of Backlund or Sharangovich's line.

I don't even think you need to bump down anyone for a full game to play Coronato extra,

Sit Hunt or Greer, but not because of their play.

Both have already proved themselves to the GM.

You get a 4th line of Greer/Hunt-Rooney-Coronato.

You give him minutes with Backlund.

The other player he replaces goes to the 4th line or sits.

He can play with the puck well enough, so he needs to gain confidence without it.

I don't even know if they need to play the 4th as per usual anymore. Why not just role all 4 evenly? Or play Coronato and like Travel says, push up and down the lineup? Maybe a Backlund Bump? 

I dunno. At least I think we only have mangiapane for one more year. He's ok, but I think he's a 4m- player, not a 5+. I never really liked him, because he falls. I liked his get up and go, literally, but being down too much... I think it's a good pick, but at the same time, having too many small guys like him hurts the team.... Dube's gone now though.

I really don't like how the Flames have handled Coronato all year but my main questions right now is not for Huska it's for the front office. Why is he even up here? Never really made sense to me that the time and now looks just like a desperate move to try and salvage playoffs that were never going to happen anyway. 

I just don't know what Huska can do to get Coronato playing.  Your not moving Popisil and I'm not moving Coleman so sure I guess you could drop Kuzmenko but I still think the Flames should be trying to boost that trade value. Plus I don't think you can have Kuzmenko playing 4th line because of how bad his off puck play is. I don't think you play Coronato in a 4th line role here when he could be playing all situation in the A. 

Just never should have been called up IMO. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I really don't like how the Flames have handled Coronato all year but my main questions right now is not for Huska it's for the front office. Why is he even up here? Never really made sense to me that the time and now looks just like a desperate move to try and salvage playoffs that were never going to happen anyway. 

I just don't know what Huska can do to get Coronato playing.  Your not moving Popisil and I'm not moving Coleman so sure I guess you could drop Kuzmenko but I still think the Flames should be trying to boost that trade value. Plus I don't think you can have Kuzmenko playing 4th line because of bad his off puck play is. I don't think you play Coronato in a 4th line role here when he could be playing all situation in the A. 

The only thing I can think of is NHL playing time whenever it

make Sense  to slot him in.

i think the Manji, Kuz fit will be closely look at this off season and into next TDL

personally I’d like to see both moved so Pelletier and Coranato can get a full season of NHL adjustment time in.

as for Kuz..I can’t help but feel he’d be a great fit in Mlt…something about him just seems to fit Mlt…

as for Manji…he’d be a solid 2nd or 3rd liner nearly anywhere… he may benefit from a change of scenery.

as for returns of these two that’s is very questionable…I think as long as it’s not a total loss it’s a positive move regardless of the return cause the cap space is gonna be huge if for no other reason then the grab a few picks on taking on bad contracts and or 3rd party broker over the next couple of years…

28 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

The only thing I can think of is NHL playing time whenever it

make Sense  to slot him in.

i think the Manji, Kuz fit will be closely look at this off season and into next TDL

personally I’d like to see both moved so Pelletier and Coranato can get a full season of NHL adjustment time in.

as for Kuz..I can’t help but feel he’d be a great fit in Mlt…something about him just seems to fit Mlt…

as for Manji…he’d be a solid 2nd or 3rd liner nearly anywhere… he may benefit from a change of scenery.

as for returns of these two that’s is very questionable…I think as long as it’s not a total loss it’s a positive move regardless of the return cause the cap space is gonna be huge if for no other reason then the grab a few picks on taking on bad contracts and or 3rd party broker over the next couple of years…

I might be one of the few that actually sees a use for Kuzmenko.  He's one of the few players we have that actually hits the net when he shoots it.  He's a puck hound and I see him not turning it over as much as others.  I don't think the fit is there with Huberdeau.  Then again, I'm not sure who really fits with Huberdeau.  IMHO, he turns over the puck on what should be routine plays.  Almost like he thinks the game a certain way and nobody else see it that way.

I know Huberdeau is untradeable, but I don't know what to do with him.  Without a top C, he looks lost.  Nothing against Sharky, because I think Sharky is doing the best he can with Huberdeau.  The guy just thinks pass when the options aren't there.  Even when he's in close and has a direct shot at the net.  

There seems to be little options available this summer for us to remake the team.  Mangiapane, Coleman, Kuzmenko, Huberdeau, Kadri all have the most value.  I should say that Huberdeau and Kadri have value to a team that wants to pay for that type of player and don't mind the term.  I like Coleman, but he's the type of player you need to win a cup, not where we are.  Mange is a player that might have value, but hard to find a fit.  

So, thinking about what we have, and letting the final pieces develop depending on what we have at the end of the summer, let's see what we have remaining:

Zary-Sharky-?

Pospisil-Kadri-Kuzmenko

Huberdeau-Backlund-Coronato

?-Rooney-?

If we were able to get a 1C, then we move Sharky to RW.

Zary is a cerebral player that could make any line better.

Moving Huberdeau to Backlund's line helps mitigate his play away from the puck perhaps.

We can retain on Coleman and Mangiapane, even though I prefer to keep Coleman.

We can't just run the same lines as this year again.  It's just not there.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I might be one of the few that actually sees a use for Kuzmenko.  He's one of the few players we have that actually hits the net when he shoots it.  He's a puck hound and I see him not turning it over as much as others.  I don't think the fit is there with Huberdeau.  Then again, I'm not sure who really fits with Huberdeau.  IMHO, he turns over the puck on what should be routine plays.  Almost like he thinks the game a certain way and nobody else see it that way.

I know Huberdeau is untradeable, but I don't know what to do with him.  Without a top C, he looks lost.  Nothing against Sharky, because I think Sharky is doing the best he can with Huberdeau.  The guy just thinks pass when the options aren't there.  Even when he's in close and has a direct shot at the net.  

There seems to be little options available this summer for us to remake the team.  Mangiapane, Coleman, Kuzmenko, Huberdeau, Kadri all have the most value.  I should say that Huberdeau and Kadri have value to a team that wants to pay for that type of player and don't mind the term.  I like Coleman, but he's the type of player you need to win a cup, not where we are.  Mange is a player that might have value, but hard to find a fit.  

So, thinking about what we have, and letting the final pieces develop depending on what we have at the end of the summer, let's see what we have remaining:

Zary-Sharky-?

Pospisil-Kadri-Kuzmenko

Huberdeau-Backlund-Coronato

?-Rooney-?

If we were able to get a 1C, then we move Sharky to RW.

Zary is a cerebral player that could make any line better.

Moving Huberdeau to Backlund's line helps mitigate his play away from the puck perhaps.

We can retain on Coleman and Mangiapane, even though I prefer to keep Coleman.

We can't just run the same lines as this year again.  It's just not there.

I agree with this. Trade Coleman to Dallas or something. He likes a community feel. A feel good story for Calgary and him choosing the Flames. I like him enough to keep him to mentor, but if you can get something then it's in line with what we did this year.

Coleman's contract ends the 2026-2027 season. 

retaining would be a lot of money. So it better cost the other team. Even retaining 500k is 1.5, in total money. Retaining 900k per brings him to a manageable 4m. But that cost the flames 2.7 mil

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I agree with this. Trade Coleman to Dallas or something. He likes a community feel. A feel good story for Calgary and him choosing the Flames. I like him enough to keep him to mentor, but if you can get something then it's in line with what we did this year.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Coleman's contract ends the 2026-2027 season. 

retaining would be a lot of money. So it better cost the other team. Even retaining 500k is 1.5, in total money. Retaining 900k per brings him to a manageable 4m. But that cost the flames 2.7 mil

It's a retained salary trade no doubt.  I'm not in any rush to get rid of him, but if he is worth a lot in trade then you for sure need to make the move.  Maybe by TDL.  Mangiapane for me is the bigger issue.  Too many bigger D out there that can contain him.  Paying $15M for a shutdown line?  Seems a high price to pay.

I'm not willing to take back crap or overpay to have someone take Huberdeau.

If you want him, pay for it.  We'll suck it up until he is back to a p/gp player.

All that said, there is a time and place for development of young players.

Coronato should be in there every day and learning from the vets.

6 hours ago, cross16 said:

I just don't know what Huska can do to get Coronato playing.  Your not moving Popisil and I'm not moving Coleman so sure I guess you could drop Kuzmenko but I still think the Flames should be trying to boost that trade value. Plus I don't think you can have Kuzmenko playing 4th line because of how bad his off puck play is. I don't think you play Coronato in a 4th line role here when he could be playing all situation in the A. 

Very well said. Let prospects be prospects, rather than band-aids for the big club. Could literally call up Sutter to cover 4th line duty for a non-playoff team. Coronato needs meaningful minutes, not grunt work.