2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

12 hours ago, sak22 said:

Not even remotely close to what I said, but I guess you'd be fine with hiring Brad Aldrich and Graham James because people deserve forgiveness and second chances.

To quote you, “not even remotely close to what I said”

15 minutes ago, sak22 said:

This is awesome news.

I love the work Conroy has done to rebuild the defensive depth, an area that was a concern before Zadorov, Tanev and Hanifin left. There is still more work to be done, but it looks there are some players in the pipeline.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This is awesome news.

I love the work Conroy has done to rebuild the defensive depth, an area that was a concern before Zadorov, Tanev and Hanifin left. There is still more work to be done, but it looks there are some players in the pipeline.

Yes, great news.  Looking for Kylington to get re-signed soon.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This is awesome news.

Miromanov looks like a decent pickup as well.  He got a good shot.  RHS with some size.  Maybe the new Michael Stone.

36 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That roster lacks more than a bit of that je ne sais quoi. lol

Will we be busy in FA?

I figured we would do more than just trading players for picks.

Markstrom isn't the issue but really only him and maybe one other player could be traded.

A top goalie should get you a top prospect C or a very good young NHL C.

Swapping out Mangiapane for a top 6 winger would be nice.

But it's not a difference making top 9.

If we had a 4th line with say Pelletier, Coronato and a really good young C, then we could opt to use them more than the usual 9 minutes.  And they would be the line growing into a top 9 replacement line.  Rooney keeps them honest, but it's not a long term strategy.

The D may be a work in progress, so I would not be that annoyed with a 2 year deal of a Tanev type D.

Personally, I think the young guys are looking good, really good over all.  The additions at D are still adjusting as is some of the reg roster guys…too much turnover in a short period to adjust.  I don’t they are tanking on purpose it’s just a natural part of the process. 

I will admit Valadr has been horrible as of late, maybe lack of playing time, or the weakened play in front as of late is exposing his weaknesses IDK…either way it need to get figured out, if it’s a weakness in his game his trade value will be horrible, and keeping him to help wolf is not an option.  This is gonna be a tough call, having Markstrom in front of wolf is really not an option cause the kid need a lot more puck time at the NHL level but with Markstrom he won’t get enough… and currently im

not sure Vladar is going to cut it for up to 50% of the games.

The other thing I wonder about, is pending UFA’s in 2025 and 2026…after this year, and the turbulence of having so many in question to start the year and with most eventually having been traded I wonder if Conroy could get out ahead of that this summer and extend or trade 2024 UFA this summer and also gauge the 2026 UFA and maybe trade any that are not fully on board as of this summer…could create some stability through the season and less drama they could focus on just playing and not worry about trades and rumours.  It amy make for a young team that needs to learn but it’s gonna happen any way so may as well get out ahead of this and start building the line and D chemistry early.

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Personally, I think the young guys are looking good, really good over all.  The additions at D are still adjusting as is some of the reg roster guys…too much turnover in a short period to adjust.  I don’t they are tanking on purpose it’s just a natural part of the process. 

I will admit Valadr has been horrible as of late, maybe lack of playing time, or the weakened play in front as of late is exposing his weaknesses IDK…either way it need to get figured out, if it’s a weakness in his game his trade value will be horrible, and keeping him to help wolf is not an option.  This is gonna be a tough call, having Markstrom in front of wolf is really not an option cause the kid need a lot more puck time at the NHL level but with Markstrom he won’t get enough… and currently im

not sure Vladar is going to cut it for up to 50% of the games.

The other thing I wonder about, is pending UFA’s in 2025 and 2026…after this year, and the turbulence of having so many in question to start the year and with most eventually having been traded I wonder if Conroy could get out ahead of that this summer and extend or trade 2024 UFA this summer and also gauge the 2026 UFA and maybe trade any that are not fully on board as of this summer…could create some stability through the season and less drama they could focus on just playing and not worry about trades and rumours.  It amy make for a young team that needs to learn but it’s gonna happen any way so may as well get out ahead of this and start building the line and D chemistry early.

Vladar may just be given away if they can't figure out what he is and Markstrom isn't traded.  Trade for something minor (4th) with salary retained.  He's a pending UFA next season.

If we are trading Markstrom, we have to roll the dice on Vladar or find a replacement.  Only way to be sure is to play him now.  I don't think you can blame the CAR loss on him, but he looked shaky at best in that.  

Lots of pending UFA's following next season.

Sharky, Kuz, Mange, Rooney, Duehr, Hunt and Hanley (Vladar too).

I think we should be trading Mange this summer if possible, or at worst next TDL.

TDL is more risky, though.

And he is more of a niche plyer, so his value is not extreme.

Kuz, I would keep, but that is just me.  He's a sniper.

Rooney, Duehr and Hunt meh.

They 1st and 3rd are guys you keep to help out kids.

But we tend to play them instead, so that has to be a consideration.

Miromanov continues to impress in the early going. Small sample size but he is sporting a 53.2 SAT%, while only getting 38% OZ starts. To me that is a strong indicator that he is moving the puck in the right direction and getting it out of our zone more often than not.

32 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Miromanov continues to impress in the early going. Small sample size but he is sporting a 53.2 SAT%, while only getting 38% OZ starts. To me that is a strong indicator that he is moving the puck in the right direction and getting it out of our zone more often than not.

So far he's a better Michael Stone to me.  Has a hard shot and has a shoot first mentality.  Miromanov has a smarter game in all zones of the ice though.  Some complain he's not fast enough but I don't see the problem.  You have to give up speed for size sometimes and the Flames need some size on D lately.  He's been a solid add.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

So far he's a better Michael Stone to me.  Has a hard shot and has a shoot first mentality.  Miromanov has a smarter game in all zones of the ice though.  Some complain he's not fast enough but I don't see the problem.  You have to give up speed for size sometimes and the Flames need some size on D lately.  He's been a solid add.

He seems to be able to cut through the other blueline too.

Protects the puck and seems to have some speed.

Like a bigger, less E/W than Kylington.

On 3/15/2024 at 10:10 AM, travel_dude said:

Vladar may just be given away if they can't figure out what he is and Markstrom isn't traded.  Trade for something minor (4th) with salary retained.  He's a pending UFA next season.

If we are trading Markstrom, we have to roll the dice on Vladar or find a replacement.  Only way to be sure is to play him now.  I don't think you can blame the CAR loss on him, but he looked shaky at best in that.  

Lots of pending UFA's following next season.

Sharky, Kuz, Mange, Rooney, Duehr, Hunt and Hanley (Vladar too).

I think we should be trading Mange this summer if possible, or at worst next TDL.

TDL is more risky, though.

And he is more of a niche plyer, so his value is not extreme.

Kuz, I would keep, but that is just me.  He's a sniper.

Rooney, Duehr and Hunt meh.

They 1st and 3rd are guys you keep to help out kids.

But we tend to play them instead, so that has to be a consideration.

We picked Mang up in the 6th round he doesn't owe us anything so if we get a 4th or better were ahead of the game. If you trade Marky you are going to be looking at top 4or 5 picks for the next few yrs Agreed ? So far Miroman is looking pretty good hope he can keep it up.

2 hours ago, zima said:

We picked Mang up in the 6th round he doesn't owe us anything so if we get a 4th or better were ahead of the game. If you trade Marky you are going to be looking at top 4or 5 picks for the next few yrs Agreed ? So far Miroman is looking pretty good hope he can keep it up.

It doesn't matter if he's a first rounder or 4th.  If he was playing more like his 35 goal year, I would say keep him.  But, he has fallen back into 15-20 goal range.  Not a big player, so hope to improve the overall team

Mange does owe the team. He owes play that matches his almost 6 million a year contract. It is easy to argue that he is not currently doing that, (not necessarily his fault). It is not a dislike of the player that fans consider trading him, but rather a consideration for chemistry, cap hit, and team direction.

Mange is one of 6 players on the Flames currently under 6 feet, Coleman and Hanley at 5’11 both play bigger than they are. Trying to figure out Kuzmenko, while Coronato and Pelletier are just starting their careers. Most of the adds from Conroy thus far have added either size, high skill or both.

I just don’t know where Mange at 5.8 per fits on this team.

Huberdeau Zary? Sharangovich 

Pelletier Kadri Coronato

(Kuzmenko / Mange) Backlund Coleman

Greer Rooney Pospisil 

There is really only room for either Kuzmenko or Mange, though may go younger even and put Pospisil there and move both the older players, bring up another young guy like Ciona for the 4th line.

If the youth movement is really on, Mange and Kuz are both 27/28, and neither are really mentor personalities from what I have seen (good teammates and good team players just not leaders).

It is about team direction and where individual players fit.

• Like 1

Wolf starts for his 3rd game in a row, against the Capitals.

Likely same lines and pairs as against MTL.

4th line of Greer-Rooney-Coronato was fine, but Coronato was on for one against.

That was with Sharky and Mangiapane, which was a mixed up bunch.

Coronato deserves to stay in the lineup.

With Pelletier, it appears he has to take out either Hunt or Coronato.

On 3/15/2024 at 12:19 PM, The_People1 said:

Wrong thread, but relevant… Was at the Hitman game yesterday and watching specifically their big D, Carter Yaremchuk, a Calgary native currently up for the 2024 draft and ranked anywhere from ~4-15 by various rankings.  He’s a tall, fast skating, offensive play-driver/PP guy with decent defence, quite similar to Miromanov after a few games here.  Yaremchuk was pretty impressive and could be Flames early pick, though top C more likely.  Back to Miromanov, I’ve really enjoyed his game so far and believe he could be a great pick-up.  

23 hours ago, zima said:

Don’t necessarily agree, Conroy has picked up some very interesting D prospects and if Wolf continues strong, Flames could surprise.  Also, you have to be truly terrible to get top 4-5 pick, outside of lottery win.

You can see why the Flames liked Miromanov and why he wasn't just a throw in. Still not sure he was the best target but I do get why they wanted him. 

I like a lot of what I've seen but there are red flags too. He is a very heavy foot skater so in transition, change of direction and acceleration I think he is below avg. Straight line speed is fine but in the D zone I do see times where he gives up chances or get's beat on a rush because I just don't think he has the footspeed. What he's done a nice job of so far to compensate is he's got a fantastic stick. So in order to avoid getting caught with his skating, his stick can shut down the play and turn it the other way. Pairing him with Kylington has also covered up some of his as well.

Working so far, but IMO skating like his tends to cause issues at some point so we'll see how it goes. Michael Stone is a pretty good comparison so far, which leads me to believe he's more of a 3rd pairing guy then a top 4 one, but that will depends on if he can adjust once the league adjust to him.