2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Depth roster shuffling continues. 

Wolf also back down

Even if they trade Markstrom to the Devils, I would assume that a goalie is coming back the other way. Vanecek makes the most sense for NJ, and quite honestly it probably makes the most sense for Calgary as well. 

So they had to make room on the roster either way.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Even if they trade Markstrom to the Devils, I would assume that a goalie is coming back the other way. Vanecek makes the most sense for NJ, and quite honestly it probably makes the most sense for Calgary as well. 

Actually I just remembers Wolf was on an emergency recall. so with Vladar coming off IR he has to go down. 

Still think your point it valid though. 

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I was a little miffed that they put Wolf in front of the camera post game.

He was visibly shaken and basically said that he can't do certain thing in the NHL.

Regardless of the emergency recall and subsequent sending down once Vladar came back,

Wolf comes off a bad game and gets sent down.

If we are trading Marky, then yes we need a goalie back.  We have to be careful with Wolf.

Winning is not the only thing when you are below the playoff cut line.  You have to continue

development.  Maybe get him a string of games and live with the results.  We will never know

otherwise.  

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I was a little miffed that they put Wolf in front of the camera post game.

He was visibly shaken and basically said that he can't do certain thing in the NHL.

Regardless of the emergency recall and subsequent sending down once Vladar came back,

Wolf comes off a bad game and gets sent down.

If we are trading Marky, then yes we need a goalie back.  We have to be careful with Wolf.

Winning is not the only thing when you are below the playoff cut line.  You have to continue

development.  Maybe get him a string of games and live with the results.  We will never know

otherwise.  

Well said td

On 2/16/2024 at 9:48 AM, JTech780 said:

Agreed Vanecek makes the most sense coming back.  Helps NJD cap wise next year and saves us the hassle of signing a veteran punching bag this summer.

Vanecek has started experience to share with Wolf as well.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Agreed Vanecek makes the most sense coming back.  Helps NJD cap wise next year and saves us the hassle of signing a veteran punching bag this summer.

Vanecek has started experience to share with Wolf as well.

I think Vanacek could be good here.  Having a bit of an off season.

Young and a Czech.  Fit in with Vladar.

Pick the better of the 2 and run Wolf the end of the season and next year.

If you do it now, you may be able to trade Vladar or Vanacek by TDL.

Or in the summer when teams are looking to change.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think Vanacek could be good here.  Having a bit of an off season.

Young and a Czech.  Fit in with Vladar.

Pick the better of the 2 and run Wolf the end of the season and next year.

If you do it now, you may be able to trade Vladar or Vanacek by TDL.

Or in the summer when teams are looking to change.

There's even Rasmus Andersson trade rumors.  I mean, who do we have left after the smoke clears?  Just Weegar and Kylington?  No NHL goalie can look good with just that.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

There's even Rasmus Andersson trade rumors.  I mean, who do we have left after the smoke clears?  Just Weegar and Kylington?  No NHL goalie can look good with just that.

I doubt we do Ras as well.  The thing is we traded Lindholm, so the present group wasn't going to last.  Tanev is getting a bit old for the team at this stage.  You want a re-tool or rebuild, you need to burn it out. There are a couple of guys that have said there are players that just don't do what needs to be done.  I think we have to root out the old culture guys.  Can't say who still fits that, but we only have 4 guys in the top 9 that we had last year.  The D has 4.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I doubt we do Ras as well.  The thing is we traded Lindholm, so the present group wasn't going to last.  Tanev is getting a bit old for the team at this stage.  You want a re-tool or rebuild, you need to burn it out. There are a couple of guys that have said there are players that just don't do what needs to be done.  I think we have to root out the old culture guys.  Can't say who still fits that, but we only have 4 guys in the top 9 that we had last year.  The D has 4.

it may depend on those who might want to compete and wish to move on to better chances. Some might even ask for trades, not because they don't like Calgary, but because they want to be competitive and not play out a retool.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

it may depend on those who might want to compete and wish to move on to better chances. Some might even ask for trades, not because they don't like Calgary, but because they want to be competitive and not play out a retool.

Unfortunately for the Huberdeau, Weegar and Kadri’s. They signed the long term deals. They’re staying. The Flames are still going to

need NHL players and they’re going to need to reach the cap floor. Andersson is probably in that mix, for the next season or so. Those guys have term, which right now is meaningful in terms of roster construction.

17 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Unfortunately for the Huberdeau, Weegar and Kadri’s. They signed the long term deals. They’re staying. The Flames are still going to

need NHL players and they’re going to need to reach the cap floor. Andersson is probably in that mix, for the next season or so. Those guys have term, which right now is meaningful in terms of roster construction.

Unless someone blows us away.

Two 1st round picks + prospect + NHL player

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Cue the rumor mill….

mostly kidding. Vladar has been decent against the oilers so I actually think this is just getting him a start. 

Kuzmenko not there is more surprising. 

Kuzmenko is sick apparently.  And seems Markstrom feels it starting too.  Not feeling 100%.

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

Cue the rumor mill….

mostly kidding. Vladar has been decent against the oilers so I actually think this is just getting him a start. 

Kuzmenko not there is more surprising. 

From what I understand, Markstrom is 0-7 against the Oilers since that playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

Zary now day to day, so Coronato recalled.

Good time as any to try out Kuz with Kandri or use him with Huberdeau again.

Might want to hold off using Coronato in the top 6 to help him gain some confidence.

But, FFS enough with the Hunt experiment.

He does what is asked, but really is at best a 12th F.

The two possible lineups I would like to see:

Huberdeau-Sharky-Kuzmenko

Pelletier-Kadri-Pospisil

Mange-Backlund-Coleman

Hunt-Rooney-Coronato

Huberdeau-Sharky-Pelletier

Pospisil-Kadri-Kuzmenko

Mange-Backlund-Coleman

Hunt-Rooney-Coronato

If Coronato can hold his own, then you swap him with Pelletier.

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Zary now day to day, so Coronato recalled.

Good time as any to try out Kuz with Kandri or use him with Huberdeau again.

Might want to hold off using Coronato in the top 6 to help him gain some confidence.

But, FFS enough with the Hunt experiment.

He does what is asked, but really is at best a 12th F.

The two possible lineups I would like to see:

Huberdeau-Sharky-Kuzmenko

Pelletier-Kadri-Pospisil

Mange-Backlund-Coleman

Hunt-Rooney-Coronato

Huberdeau-Sharky-Pelletier

Pospisil-Kadri-Kuzmenko

Mange-Backlund-Coleman

Hunt-Rooney-Coronato

If Coronato can hold his own, then you swap him with Pelletier.

I think Hunt as been very solid since they've recalled him. He's outplayed Kuzmenko. 

Really wish the Flames would just keep Coronato down in the A.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I think Hunt as been very solid since they've recalled him. He's outplayed Kuzmenko. 

Really wish the Flames would just keep Coronato down in the A.

Calling him up not to play is bizarre.

Where things are right now I just would rather watch the players that are part of the near future. Coronato may not be 'ready' but still would rather see him play than say a guy like Hunt. The team is going to play to win because they are still 'in the playoff picture'. I do not see it that way.  After Hanafin is gone at least.

I still want to see them win and compete, just realism says it would be better if the flames fell a few notches in the standings. Not tank of course. 

Looking forward to seeing Porier perhaps in a few weeks and maybe more games for Wolf.

2 minutes ago, Otown72 said:

Where things are right now I just would rather watch the players that are part of the near future. Coronato may not be 'ready' but still would rather see him play than say a guy like Hunt. The team is going to play to win because they are still 'in the playoff picture'. I do not see it that way.  After Hanafin is gone at least.

I still want to see them win and compete, just realism says it would be better if the flames fell a few notches in the standings. Not tank of course. 

Looking forward to seeing Porier perhaps in a few weeks and maybe more games for Wolf.

I'm not in the room or at practice, so I can't comment on how the young guys play vs the vets, but it seems that if there is guy sitting out, it's the young call up.  Duehr hasn't been that good this year, but Rooney has done what he was advertized to do.  He kills penalties, he checks, he hits.  He sometimes gets good chances.    Hunt has taken the reins from Dube as the guy trusted by the coach. 

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

No surprise. I think he is going to get a couple games. not based on this hit but based on his overall approach. He's gotten too reckless out there

Huska said he needs to learn to play within the rules better, but not contain his edge.

Pospisil doesn't want to fight, but he better get ready if he plays over the edge too often.

You can be on the edge without going over it.

Costly lesson if he gets 5 games.