2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

56 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Personally I would send Coronato back to the AHL, now that Pospisil is back from suspension. He isn’t ready, I would have preferred that they called up Schwindt last time instead of Coronato. Leave him there for the remainder of the season and let him dominate, have a good run in the playoffs. Next year I think he makes a strong push to make the roster.

I would have preferred they never call him up to be honest. I agree, he needs to gain a step. I think he's played solid and just been a bit snake bitten in terms of his results. But you can see his foot speed and strength get exposes a bit at this level. Quite a few pucks a game where if he could get there, he'd get more chances and/or increase the quality of chances. Can get knocked off his spot a bit too easy now, and doesn't have that agility yet to get to open space which is really where he needs to be for his shot. 

He's played solid though so I don't think there should be troubling signs, but he's really got to just work on getting stronger/quicker in his initial stride I think to reach his potential. 

He should work with whomever Zary worked with. 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would have preferred they never call him up to be honest. I agree, he needs to gain a step. I think he's played solid and just been a bit snake bitten in terms of his results. But you can see his foot speed and strength get exposes a bit at this level. Quite a few pucks a game where if he could get there, he'd get more chances and/or increase the quality of chances. Can get knocked off his spot a bit too easy now, and doesn't have that agility yet to get to open space which is really where he needs to be for his shot. 

He's played solid though so I don't think there should be troubling signs, but he's really got to just work on getting stronger/quicker in his initial stride I think to reach his potential. 

He should work with whomever Zary worked with. 

For sure, I think he has the ability and it shouldn’t be too big of a problem for him to get stronger and quicker.

Zary and Pospisil both have improved their skating dramatically since their draft years. I didn’t think Pospisil would get much of a chance at the NHL because his skating was lacking. 

43 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

For sure, I think he has the ability and it shouldn’t be too big of a problem for him to get stronger and quicker.

Zary and Pospisil both have improved their skating dramatically since their draft years. I didn’t think Pospisil would get much of a chance at the NHL because his skating was lacking. 

Pelletier too.  First few times he got a call up last year, his skates would be going full RPM but he's barely moving.  So much energy used but results were so average.

He's gotten stronger now and his strides are finally reflecting his efforts.  He's moving around like an NHLer.

Today at practice:

Pelletier-Kadri-Pospisil

Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman

Huberdeau-Sharangovich-Kuzmenko

Hunt-Rooney-Coronato  

Kylington-Andersson

Weegar-Miromanov

Hanley-Pachal

Markstrom

PP1: Huberdeau, Kadri, Sharangovich, Kuzmenko, Miromanov

PP2: Backlund, Pospisil, Mangiapane/Coleman, Andersson, Weegar

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Odd that they said decision is not final.

Yes, also that the light(?)sentence was suspended, and there was an “underage” element.  

You have to wonder what will happen with him, as well as Team Canada players, if proven innocent or after short sentences?

4 minutes ago, cberg said:

Yes, also that the light(?)sentence was suspended, and there was an “underage” element.  

You have to wonder what will happen with him, as well as Team Canada players, if proven innocent or after short sentences?

Oilers

19 minutes ago, cberg said:

There definitely is a history of that.  I’d like to think Flames would be open to reclamations and second chances too.  

Depends on the offence, any type of conviction in a rape or sexual assault case is a no go for me.  But Ronni and the Canada 5 aren't exactly the type of player worth the scrutiny, none are bringing an impact to the team that you can't find elsewhere.  You can take Kane and Perry away from Edmonton and not really experience any drop off.

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

Depends on the offence, any type of conviction in a rape or sexual assault case is a no go for me.  But Ronni and the Canada 5 aren't exactly the type of player worth the scrutiny, none are bringing an impact to the team that you can't find elsewhere.  You can take Kane and Perry away from Edmonton and not really experience any drop off.

Agreed.

Smuggling cocaine in your underpants (Bob Probert)? No problem.

Vehicular homicide? Maybe.

Rape? Get the Blockchain outta here.

Love.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah, I actually liked him as a player and watched him live in Plymouth last summer. Notsomuch as a person now.

I'm also not a supporter of rape.  agreed.

How do they come up with the sentences lol....legal systems are weird.  the one year thing.

it feels a lot like....they're still not sure.     I think we know enough that he should never be in the NHL again.   But these one year sentences are so indecisive.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah, I actually liked him as a player and watched him live in Plymouth last summer. Notsomuch as a person now.

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I'm also not a supporter of rape.  agreed.

How do they come up with the sentences lol....legal systems are weird.  the one year thing.

it feels a lot like....they're still not sure.     I think we know enough that he should never be in the NHL again.   But these one year sentences are so indecisive.

Not supportive of rape, nor drug use(eg Cocaine), nor physical abuse, sexual abuse… But here are the questions: Do we really know what the offence was?  If brought to trial and found not guilty, do we accept that?   If found guilty and served sentence, do we accept him back?  Do you believe, and give second chances?

4 hours ago, cberg said:

Not supportive of rape, nor drug use(eg Cocaine), nor physical abuse, sexual abuse… But here are the questions: Do we really know what the offence was?  If brought to trial and found not guilty, do we accept that?   If found guilty and served sentence, do we accept him back?  Do you believe, and give second chances?

I think the one year of probation is the second chance....they get a second chance at a citizen, but are probably non-viable as an NHLer.

The whole "One year of probation for rape" is eye catching.  Translation error?  what?

dunno.   All I know, is that's weird.

If you really want to open up the can you can talk about Gilmour.   

but in any case, I am very cool with this guy never playing a game again, based solely on poor choices at the very, very, very least.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I think the one year of probation is the second chance....they get a second chance at a citizen, but are probably non-viable as an NHLer.

The whole "One year of probation for rape" is eye catching.  Translation error?  what?

dunno.   All I know, is that's weird.

If you really want to open up the can you can talk about Gilmour.   

but in any case, I am very cool with this guy never playing a game again, based solely on poor choices at the very, very, very least.

Look, don’t know the details of this case, but everyone should have a second chance, especially if they have changed their ways, and paid the price.  

2 hours ago, cberg said:

Look, don’t know the details of this case, but everyone should have a second chance, especially if they have changed their ways, and paid the price.  

Your second chance is the life outside of prison, doesn't mean it should be the same as your life was before the crime.  I know if I did the same thing I'm not returning to my current employer or even working in my current field, so I don't really feel special treatment is needed for those who are just good at a sport.

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

Your second chance is the life outside of prison, doesn't mean it should be the same as your life was before the crime.  I know if I did the same thing I'm not returning to my current employer or even working in my current field, so I don't really feel special treatment is needed for those who are just good at a sport.

Sounds like holding someone guilty for life, and no restitution nor forgiveness.  Can’t agree with that way of life.

5 hours ago, cberg said:

I have taken some pretty controversial stances on here.  I think you might have me beat on this one though lol.

Firstly, I think he Is getting a second chance, because he's not spending is life in jail.   The NHL is a whole other thing, it's an entertainment business that needs to mitigate risk an uphold acceptable popular public standards.   

We are all born with certain rights.   They do not include, however, the right to play in the NHL.  That is a very rare privilege which must be constantly earned and can be taken away at any moment.

Does everyone deserve a second chance?    I'm going to go with no on this one.   But certainly some do, and everyone deserves innocent until proven guilty.

Although with a one year probationary rape sentence, i have no idea if that means innocent or guilty or what.   But I do know he's been given a second chance without ever playing another game in the NHL.

1 hour ago, cberg said:

Sounds like holding someone guilty for life, and no restitution nor forgiveness.  Can’t agree with that way of life.

Not even remotely close to what I said, but I guess you'd be fine with hiring Brad Aldrich and Graham James because people deserve forgiveness and second chances.

Nope not touching this one.  The Flames are walking away from their first selection in that draft.

Flames pride themselves now by not going after questionable individuals, even on the cheap.

As soon as we walked away, I am done with the player.

From Finnish tabloid newspaper Italehti, using Google translate. Don't get caught up in the poor translation, e.g. "Rönni, who denied the charge, appealed for the girl not to notify the police until 2.5 weeks after the party". That didn't translate well. It was his defence lawyer using that argument. So try not to get hung up on improper translations.

I can't translate Finnish, but I do have basic comprehension of language translations.

Edit # 17 I think. We have a Finnish poster here @omit555. That isn't me saying he should translate, because he shouldn't, nor should the expectation exist. Just pointing him out, because he's joined us in GDTs over his 6am coffee and smoked salmon and eggs or whatever he's got going on over there. lol

That, and he seems like a great person. In my backpacking heyday I can guarantee that Cdns gravitate to Scandinavians and vice versa. On avg, we're almost identical character/personality traits. That everyone scared me away from Finland/Sweden/Norway, telling me, "it's extremely expensive", is a regret I'll long carry, but it's on the bucket list!!

But shoutout to omit555, regardless of the treacherous news, hope you're well and enduring the dying grips of winter.

Tuesday 12 March 2024 at 15:03(updated 12 March 2024 at 15:51)
  • Topi Rönni, 19, a centre-back who plays for Tappara's shirt, has been sentenced to a year's probation for rape as a young person.
  • A 16-year-old girl was raped by a 16-year-old girl on school graduation night in June 2021. The Rön was 17 years at the time.
  • Rönni denied committing a sexual offence, but the court found the victim's and witnesses' account to be reliable and consistent.

The Helsinki District Court has sentenced SM-liiga hockey player Topi Rönn, 19, to a one-year suspended prison sentence for rape. The judgment is not final.

Rönni had not met a 16-year-old victim before the evening. They visited a sauna space in Helsinki, which was reserved for the school’s graduation party.

Between 50 and 70 people attended the party in June 2021.

Rönni, who was 17 at the time, had, reportedly drinking an estimated 10 cans of beer and tentacles, as well as some spirits. But according to Rönn, alcohol did not affect his memories of the evening's events.

It was uncontorious for Rönni and a 16-year-old victim to dance and kiss. The two moved to a more peaceful state of the evening, where they sat lapped. At that time, Rönni raped a girl with his finger.

She said she said she didn't want to. He said the Rönni replied, “You want.”

NHL career on 'stails'

The girl immediately told friends about the events.

According to one witness, Rönni had asked to forward an apology to the victim during the evening and said he had not "in a conscious state or otherwise understood what he had done in the situation."

Rönni, acting inappropriately, was later removed from the party.

Rönni denied the acts in preliminary investigations and court. He said the criminal suspicion affected a significant hockey career. According to Rönn, "the matter has been on the surface all the time" at a moment when he has been trying to break through.

Rönn said getting to the NHL was "on the scale" because of a suspected crime.

No doubt about guilt

Rönni, who denied the charge, appealed for the girl not to notify the police until 2.5 weeks after the party. The defense also stressed the girl had not left the situation.

In the verdict, the district court said the rape victim cannot be required to take action against themselves.

“The absence of defence acts or non-emissions from the situation cannot be seen as an indication that no crime has occurred, the court said.

The court held that the 16-year-old victim had given a clear, consistent and detailed account of the events.

The victim's account was supported by party guests called witnesses, as well as a video recording of the two dancing. There was no serious doubt about Rönn's guilt to the court.

The matter was resolved by three judges. The decision was unanimous.

In addition to the nature of the act, Rönn has not been convicted of a crime before. He was also a minor when he committed a crime.

“A act attributed to him is not so serious that even adults of adult are sentenced to unconditional imprisonment as a first-time of him. In this respect, heavy reasons do not require him to be sentenced to unconditional imprisonment, the court held.

In addition to a one-month suspended prison sentence, the court ordered Rönn to pay 2,500 euros for the suffering he caused to the victim.

Get out of World Cup squad

The case began in District Court on 27 February. The session was held behind closed doors. Rönni did not wish to comment on the charge or his discussions with Tappara before the session began.

Rönni, who work for Tappara, has represented Finland’s youth teams in several competitions and won under-18 World Championship bronze. In Tappara, he has won two Finnish championships.

Rönni had told his own rape suspicions. When the matter became public in mid-October 2023, Tappara Rönn put aside from the team’s activities. A couple of weeks later, the centre-back was allowed to return to his club's activities.

“We are serious about the crime, but we are waiting to be court proceedings and only then assessed the player’s position,” Tamhockey’s CEO Mika Aro said in a statement in November.

edit

Tappara has since released Ronni of his contract. The Flames have renounced his rights.