conundrumed

Huberdeau-Sharangovich-Coronato

Pelletier-Kadri-Kuzmenko

Hunt on 4th w Duehr and Rooney

Backlund line remains together

Read this, so It's not my suggestion.

I think it's the only way right now.

Coronato's game is not yet 200 feet.

Play him where he will get O-zone starts.

Pelletier there was a bit of a stretch.

Kuz playing with Kadri and Pelletier makes some sense.

Kadri will feed him or shoot himself.

Game more than I thought but I think this is about sending a message. He's just been too reckless out there. 

going to be interesting if Pospisil can find a more defined role here and avoid the "Ferland" trap. Ferland played reckless, tried to be a scorer and I think lost his game. Pospisil going to need to find a role that works and cage some of that aggressiveness

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Game more than I thought but I think this is about sending a message. He's just been too reckless out there. 

going to be interesting if Pospisil can find a more defined role here and avoid the "Ferland" trap. Ferland played reckless, tried to be a scorer and I think lost his game. Pospisil going to need to find a role that works and cage some of that aggressiveness

Was a horrible hit.  Saw the numbers clear for a full 5 meters and still went in full power.  These hits need to be 5-games minimum.

In regards to Pospisil, I hope he learns from this and tone it down..  Matt Rempe is out there running through the entire NHL but he's 6'-8" 240 lbs. Rempe's body is made for this. 

Pospisil isn't going last in the NHL if he keeps this up.  Ferland didn't last long either.

25 minutes ago, cross16 said:

He kind of modeled him game a bit after Kadri.  Pest, throw some big hits, close to the edge some nights.  I think he should at least play some games without being dirty and see if he has the scoring to match his edge.  Like the first goal he scored was all about speed and skill.  

The other thing for me is he needs to stay away from fights, so cage it a bit.  Don't always be the first guy in a scrum or throw punches in one.

So with Hanifin gone, what will the D pairs look like going forward?

Weegar Andersson 

Kylington Pachal

Hanley Miromanov 

or 

Kylington Weegar

Hanley Andersson

Gilbert Pachal

Not sure the best options.

2 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Weegar Andersson 

Kylington Pachal

Hanley Miromanov 

or 

Kylington Weegar

Hanley Andersson

Gilbert Pachal

I'd go with normalcy, keep

Weegar, Andersson 

Kylington, Pachal

Hanley, XXX

Miromanov might need some time coming off an injury...

54 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Weegar Andersson 

Kylington Pachal

Hanley Miromanov 

or 

Kylington Weegar

Hanley Andersson

Gilbert Pachal

This got a lot tougher than I originally thought.

With Miromanov, we have a KHL and AHL vet with some NHL experience. 

Besides that we have Weegar, Andersson and Pachal all being RHS.

Have no interest in Oesterle playing for this team now.

I would go with

Kylington-Weegar (top pair)

Hanley-Andersson (best PK and likely top 5 on 5 minutes)

Pachal-Miromanov (not sure if this really works.

If we can't get Pachal or Miromanov to play LD, then we have to go with:

Weegar-Andersson

Kylington-Pachal

Hanley-Miromanov

This may make the most sense anyway.

I don't know, it's giving me a headache.

Wonder how the d-pairings will shape out once Miromanov arrives.

Kylington-Andersson 

Weegar-Miromanov 

Hanley-Pachal

Pachal has been a really nice pickup, he is steady and gives a nice physical presence to the bottom pairing.

I am excited to see what Miromanov can do. Big RHS defenseman with a big shot. He only transitioned to defense in junior. 

I think Weegar/Andersson have been good together overall. Pachal and Kylington started making good chemistry so I would guess Hanley with Miromanov, but try Miro on the point for PP with Kylington.

Interesting however it works out.

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting D pairings. I'm surprised by the Kylington Muromanov pairing. 

Feels very high risk, high reward

Yeah, it will be interesting for sure. I will say Kylington’s game has calmed down a lot since he came back, making much better decisions.

I wonder if the Flames have to look at Sharangovich at C long term. He has held his own, he has been an impressive 200 foot player this season.

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting D pairings. I'm surprised by the Kylington Muromanov pairing. 

Feels very high risk, high reward

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah, it will be interesting for sure. I will say Kylington’s game has calmed down a lot since he came back, making much better decisions.

I wonder if the Flames have to look at Sharangovich at C long term. He has held his own, he has been an impressive 200 foot player this season.

I think they want a read on the different pairings.

They know what to expect in Kylington-Pachal.

Gilbert likely not to play much the rest of the season.

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I don't get why Conroy had to re-sign Rooney now, why not in summer? Is he really that worried he won't sign?

I believe he's Hanifin's cousin so maybe the play here is to use Rooney to lure Hanifin back to Calgary this summer?

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I believe he's Hanifin's cousin so maybe the play here is to use Rooney to lure Hanifin back to Calgary this summer?

Well that would be a strange twist.  He didn't want to be here, COnnie was determined to trade people that didn't want to be here, and BOOM he wants to be here.

I think it's a lot more simple, even if I don't agree with it.  We signed him like it was day 1 or Free Agency.  Have a known 4th line C on the roster for next season.  

Next season we have a complete roster already signed, with the exception of Kylington, Pelletier and Okhotiuk.  2 RFA and 1 UFA.  We also could re-sign Greer.  This is a little worrisome, since the GM could look at it and decide it's good enough and we don't look at roster additions or subtractions through trades.  The available cap after the limited signings is still around $14M likely, which is a good thing.  

We will soon have every injured and suspended player back.  I'll reserve judgement until I see the lines, but this is the roster for next year.  Is this a team that the GM expects to compete for a cup next year or simply the transitional look.  

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

That would suck. I'm looking forward to the D getting an overhaul. I'm hoping we get more physical on the back end as well as bigger (wingspan). I know Hanifin is 6'3", but he doesn't play any kind of physical at all.

It’s pretty interesting that in his first two games as a Flame Miromanov played 18:59 and 20:26 minutes, third in each game behind Andersson and Weegar. Seems he is gaining the trust of Huska.

I missed the game against Carolina, but the game in Florida I thought he played well. Seemed to have a good knack for when to jump up and when to stay back, made a few nice passes out of the zone, stayed controlled in the defensive zone. Didn’t really do anything flashy, but played a simple game for the most part. I did like that he seems to have a shooting mentality from the point. 

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It’s pretty interesting that in his first two games as a Flame Miromanov played 18:59 and 20:26 minutes, third in each game behind Andersson and Weegar. Seems he is gaining the trust of Huska.

I missed the game against Carolina, but the game in Florida I thought he played well. Seemed to have a good knack for when to jump up and when to stay back, made a few nice passes out of the zone, stayed controlled in the defensive zone. Didn’t really do anything flashy, but played a simple game for the most part. I did like that he seems to have a shooting mentality from the point. 

He played about 3 minutes on the PP in CAR.

Less frustrating watching him as opposed to Ras passing it up high and not shooting.

It's going to take a little work to get him to be a good full time NHL player.

We have 4 RHS D available and 8D on the NHL roster.

Zary and Greer due back sometime soon, with both skating in CGY this weekend.

Gilbert is an easy waive.

Duehr maybe the most like to be waived as well.

Coronato may be a victim, as he was called up for Zary's injury.

Currently 13F + Zary + Greer

Currently 8D 

I would prefer to keep Coronato up and maybe create a line with a vet.

But Hunt has earned a longer look, even if he has many head shakers moments.

With everyone back in this is possible:

Huberdeau-Sharky-Pospisil

Zary-Kadri-Kuzmenko

Mange-Backlund-Coleman

Greer-Rooney-Coronato

Ex. Pelletier

Out - Duehr, Hunt

Kylington-Weegar

Miramanov-Ras

Hanley-Pachal

Ex. Okhotiuk

Out - Gilbert

It could just be me, but it looks like Coronato needs to find another step if he wants to be more productive at this level. You can see that he is willing to work for the puck, and thinks the game fairly well, he just looks a step behind. Hopefully he can work on this in the offseason.

23 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It could just be me, but it looks like Coronato needs to find another step if he wants to be more productive at this level. You can see that he is willing to work for the puck, and thinks the game fairly well, he just looks a step behind. Hopefully he can work on this in the offseason.

He looked better than he has.  I would keep him up to work with him, but that's just me.

I don't think it's the right fit having him on the top line.

The line got beat down against CAR, as did Backlund's line.

Coleman and Hunt the only players to not have a minus after their names.

Personally I would send Coronato back to the AHL, now that Pospisil is back from suspension. He isn’t ready, I would have preferred that they called up Schwindt last time instead of Coronato. Leave him there for the remainder of the season and let him dominate, have a good run in the playoffs. Next year I think he makes a strong push to make the roster.