GM Craig Conroy

Thebrewcrew

On 5/21/2023 at 9:49 PM, jjgallow said:

Mitch Love is ... really good.  IMHO, if we don't offer him a head coach position there is a very high chance another team will and we lose him entirely.

Plus there's nobody else better suited to get our prospects to translate to the NHL, so he actually has more value here.

To me, I would be Absolutely, totally shocked if Mtich didn't get the head coach position.

Quenville knowingly turned a blind eye to straight up full blown sexual assault under his watch.  I'm not calling him a deviant but I am calling him someone you do Not want in any progressive organization whatsoever unless you really Want to start sweeping things under the rug and have them blow up in your face a few years later.

That was...criminal.  It's not Just a PR nightmare, it's so much more than that.     This is...Movie-level bad.  And could be one some day. Stay. Away.

"oh you know my players are getting raped but I don't want that to distract us from winning"

Yeah.  full stop,  No.

Let Edmonton have him.

This may be the first time I've ever agreed wholeheartedly on a post you've made.

Strange times are afoot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Don't read too much into the UFA comment.  It's an extreme statement.

When have we signed 7?  

Whoopsie, was thinking the comment was about signing that many.

Yes, we should not be going into a season with that many pending UFA's.

Unless they have calue and we are trading them at TDL.

Then...Asset management.

I just listened to the whole press conference.

For someone who wants a full rebuild, I knew I wasn't going to get that.  So that was disappointing but expected.  No biggie.

Conroy was even asked straight up if the Flames are going to rebuild and another question asked if he will return the same core.  So the only thing I can celebrate from all this is that Conroy basically said we will not return the exact same core.  He wants to inject youth into the core.  He will dangle the carrot and leave spots open for competition at training camp.  Something like a re-tool but how deep, we shall see.

I sort of doubt it's going to be a deep retool though.  Conroy emphasized he felt this team was good enough to make the playoffs and then followed up with the most disappointing comment of the day, "make the playoffs and anything can happen".

Oof, anything but win the Cup of course.  If it's true anything can happen, then COL, TB, PITs, etc wouldn't have won a Cup after spending centuries in the basement in deep rebuilds.  

FLA looks so damn good right now.  Basically 9-years after Barkov #2 and Ekblad #1 overall. It takes that much commitment and that much time.  Instead, the Flames are going with, "just make the playoffs and anything can happen".

But is it all bad?  No of course not.  Conroy brings smiles back to the franchise.  Because at the end of the day, it is theoretically and technically possible to win a Cup without ever rebuilding.  It's the most difficult path to the Cup based on past evidence but that's the path we've chosen.  So be it.

Conroy self proclaims proficiency at youth and development.  He believes in young kids.  These are all positive things no matter how one looks at it because it all starts there.  Draft, develop, and then create a viable path for kids to graduate to the NHL and succeed.  I'm looking forward to this.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

FLA looks so damn good right now.  Basically 9-years after Barkov #2 and Ekblad #1 overall. It takes that much commitment and that much time.  Instead, the Flames are going with, "just make the playoffs and anything can happen".

That's the bit I always worry about, too. Every time a low seed does well, I think it inspires Flames management to push the "You just have to get in!" ideology.

Love.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well you could say it started in 2010 and 2011 with Gudbranson and Huberdeau, you could also go back to when they drafted Weiss, Bouwmeester and Horton top 5 20 years ago, outside of 1996 was just a sad franchise until 2021.  Florida isn't really a fun example to use for rebuilds, sure they have a #1 who might be the 3rd best defenseman on the team, and a #2 who is 3rd on the team in points, but they are where they are now because of a trade and the fact they are finally getting great goaltending out of their 10 million dollar man.  The only other player regular besides Ekblad and Barkov that was their own draft pick is Lundell.  A lot of Florida's success is finding gems in other teams castoffs Verhaghe, Bennett, Duclair, Forsling, and Montour, their actual drafting has been subpar besides Huberdeau and Barkov.   Is this a cinderella run, or is this team going to be around for a few more runs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Well you could say it started in 2010 and 2011 with Gudbranson and Huberdeau, you could also go back to when they drafted Weiss, Bouwmeester and Horton top 5 20 years ago, outside of 1996 was just a sad franchise until 2021.  Florida isn't really a fun example to use for rebuilds, sure they have a #1 who might be the 3rd best defenseman on the team, and a #2 who is 3rd on the team in points, but they are where they are now because of a trade and the fact they are finally getting great goaltending out of their 10 million dollar man.  The only other player regular besides Ekblad and Barkov that was their own draft pick is Lundell.  A lot of Florida's success is finding gems in other teams castoffs Verhaghe, Bennett, Duclair, Forsling, and Montour, their actual drafting has been subpar besides Huberdeau and Barkov.   Is this a cinderella run, or is this team going to be around for a few more runs

Thank you. I'd followed FLA in the Trochek-Dadonov years up until this year. I really like those 2 players.

What does make the team kinda fun is the complete caution to the wind on trading whoever, whenever. They don't exactly win all of their trades but I love their bravado.lol

They really are 100% business. "If we think we can get by with someone else instead of you, we will". Nobody's seat is safe on this adventure.

Barkov may be the only one that could retire a Panthers, even that's maybe 50-50.

I'd call Florida a team in perpetual re-tool. And they are a breath of fresh air frankly. They don't have to worry about fan mindsets, like fans in Canada that treat everything like a marriage. They have far less messy divorces.lol

But back on track, I'll take a flier on Conroy. It was never not going to be him. I'm taking a "show me" stance. The top players expected "change" but we're not sure what that means, but I assume using the term generally means, "change many things".

It's gotta suck playing at the depressing old dome. Let's be honest. Coming off of a road trip in stellar facilities to see what you have is a big problem imo. I have little doubt that the Flames are under duress from the league to make it happen and players around the league are friends and talk. "Nice place to live, Satoshi Nakamototy place to play" isn't enticing.

So changing that is important in, "make it fun".

I have little doubt the court of public opinion will see Mitch Love will be named Coach. Because let's face it again, we're sensitive to negative press so can't have him go elsewhere.

So philosophically imho, we're still the same. Always reacting to the negativity. This really holds back every CDN franchise that isn't french and full of attitude. Just some thoughts.

On the topic of "lose Markstrom" for a new GM, peeps are kidding right? I've yet to hear a good backup plan if Vladar and Wolf fail. You have one leg at G and that's Markstrom, he's proven he can be 2 legs. If we sweep both legs out, now what? More draft picks or hope Thomas Greiss is available on the wire? Or Daniil Chechelev is Vasilevsky.

I hope Conroy puts a sterner eye on our D. They are not good at playing D. Constantly letting fwds weave in front of the goalie, rarely tieing up sticks, reading rebounds, backing off on skaters/shooters way too much (Oilers series blamed on Markstrom). I'd like to see a huge change in what they define as defensemen. "Hold" the other team to 20 shots, like it wasn't the fwds that tilted the ice, 12 insane high danger attempts against because you suck as a defenceman. Most don't get to the spot in time to preempt a simple weave. Way above the required risks from the O point. Here comes the 2-on-1.

I hope Conroy makes some D changes, because that issue is hiding in the weeds imho. We don't defend well and you can't tilt the ice in your favour aaallll game. No finishers, no O net presence, weak D is what I'll be watching for change. Pretty basic things.

I remain hopeful.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

For someone who wants a full rebuild, I knew I wasn't going to get that.  So that was disappointing but expected.  No biggie.

Conroy was even asked straight up if the Flames are going to rebuild and another question asked if he will return the same core.  So the only thing I can celebrate from all this is that Conroy basically said we will not return the exact same core.  He wants to inject youth into the core.  He will tangle the carrot and leave spots open for competition at training camp.  Something like a re-tool but how deep, we shall see.

I sort of doubt it's going to be a deep retool though.  Conroy emphasized he felt this team was good enough to make the playoffs and then followed up with the most disappointing comment of the day, "make the playoffs and anything can happen".

Oof, anything but win the Cup of course.  If it's true anything can happen, then COL, TB, PITs, etc wouldn't have won a Cup after spending centuries in the basement in deep rebuilds.  

But is it all bad?  No of course not.  Conroy brings smiles back to the franchise.  Because at the end of the day, it is theoretically and technically possible to win a Cup without ever rebuilding.  It's the most difficult path to the Cup based on past evidence but that's the path we've chosen.  So be it.

Conroy self proclaims proficiency at youth and development.  He believes in young kids.  These are all positive things no matter how one looks at it because it all starts there.  Draft, develop, and then create a viable path for kids to graduate to the NHL and succeed.  I'm looking forward to this.

I’m not 100% sure that he won’t rebuild, I kinda (and maybe it’s wishful thinking) took it that they weee gonna tinker with the core a bit by adding youth into the line up….I think what Conroy will do is slowly rebuild so that the owners don’t realize what’s happening… AKA a trade here a trade or young UFA signing there etc, best thing you know we have Younger core and the owners didn’t see it coming.

also, it could be maybe Conroy said, I’ll give this another go this season but if it fails I’m gonna need to make changes on the fly..key here I think he’s gonna rotate and rebuild in the fly and that’s the key here 

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Conroy was even asked straight up if the Flames are going to rebuild and another question asked if he will return the same core.  So the only thing I can celebrate from all this is that Conroy basically said we will not return the exact same core.  He wants to inject youth into the core.  He will tangle the carrot and leave spots open for competition at training camp.  Something like a re-tool but how deep, we shall see.

Unfortunately, even if they wanted to, this team can't rebuild scorched earth.

Nobody is taking our big contracts without sweeteners which defeats the purpose ..

This core is too good to be that bad .. how many years were we a middling team and basically only had Iggy, Regehr and kipper and not much else ? 

If we had taken the futures option with the chucky situation we'd be sitting here with Necas and a 29th overall pick ..plus some dice rolls in prospects .. almost the Iggy and jbo trades all over again 

How many times has Buffalo stripped it down and rebuilt ? Edmonton is getting close but still can't get it right after what, 5 first overall picks ?

You use Florida as an example ..but they barely made the playoffs .. they had fewer points than us and even with all the great Chucky moments are nowhere if not for Bob looking like the second coming of Hasek 

Sounds to me like he's talking retool.. inject kids Into the lineup.. leave spots open in camp to be won instead of filling it with PTO vets .

He acknowledged kids will make mistakes but they need to play .

I said at the start of last year ..don't let valimaki hit waivers .. he'll be gone .. nobody believed me .. Arizona plucked him.. kept throwing him out for 20min a night .. by end of season he was starting to look like what we thought he'd be ..

Kyllington grew Into a valuable dman cuz we we were forced to play him..but the bigger reason for his success was Tanev was able to cover his mistakes in the beginning while he grew . 

I like the thought of Hubie playing with Pelletier.., Kadri with coronato, or vice versa    you need the vets to groom the kids 

I got a good feeling from Conroy yesterday .. while I agreed with Daryl wanting kids to earn it .. I also concede BT made it too easy for him to not play the kids .. the gm controls the roster .. force the coach to fill spots with kids they have no choice .. but they still have to earn it ..   they also need the vets to show them how 

Florida looks great because they had got the chance to acquire a Hart Trophy candidate via trade. Those opportunities don't, and shouldn't, really happen. 

Rebuilds take patience but they also take a whole lot of luck too. Florida got extremely lucky with Tkachuk and without him I don't think there is a chance they are where they are right now. 

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Thank you. I'd followed FLA in the Trochek-Dadonov years up until this year. I really like those 2 players.

What does make the team kinda fun is the complete caution to the wind on trading whoever, whenever. They don't exactly win all of their trades but I love their bravado.lol

They really are 100% business. "If we think we can get by with someone else instead of you, we will". Nobody's seat is safe on this adventure.

Barkov may be the only one that could retire a Panthers, even that's maybe 50-50.

I'd call Florida a team in perpetual re-tool. And they are a breath of fresh air frankly. They don't have to worry about fan mindsets, like fans in Canada that treat everything like a marriage. They have far less messy divorces.lol

But back on track, I'll take a flier on Conroy. It was never not going to be him. I'm taking a "show me" stance. The top players expected "change" but we're not sure what that means, but I assume using the term generally means, "change many things".

It's gotta suck playing at the depressing old dome. Let's be honest. Coming off of a road trip in stellar facilities to see what you have is a big problem imo. I have little doubt that the Flames are under duress from the league to make it happen and players around the league are friends and talk. "Nice place to live, Satoshi Nakamototy place to play" isn't enticing.

So changing that is important in, "make it fun".

I have little doubt the court of public opinion will see Mitch Love will be named Coach. Because let's face it again, we're sensitive to negative press so can't have him go elsewhere.

So philosophically imho, we're still the same. Always reacting to the negativity. This really holds back every CDN franchise that isn't french and full of attitude. Just some thoughts.

On the topic of "lose Markstrom" for a new GM, peeps are kidding right? I've yet to hear a good backup plan if Vladar and Wolf fail. You have one leg at G and that's Markstrom, he's proven he can be 2 legs. If we sweep both legs out, now what? More draft picks or hope Thomas Greiss is available on the wire? Or Daniil Chechelev is Vasilevsky.

I hope Conroy puts a sterner eye on our D. They are not good at playing D. Constantly letting fwds weave in front of the goalie, rarely tieing up sticks, reading rebounds, backing off on skaters/shooters way too much (Oilers series blamed on Markstrom). I'd like to see a huge change in what they define as defensemen. "Hold" the other team to 20 shots, like it wasn't the fwds that tilted the ice, 12 insane high danger attempts against because you suck as a defenceman. Most don't get to the spot in time to preempt a simple weave. Way above the required risks from the O point. Here comes the 2-on-1.

I hope Conroy makes some D changes, because that issue is hiding in the weeds imho. We don't defend well and you can't tilt the ice in your favour aaallll game. No finishers, no O net presence, weak D is what I'll be watching for change. Pretty basic things.

I remain hopeful.

Lots to take in there and I agree with most of what youre saying. But.......

The Dome issue is neither a GM issue or something that will change for at least 3-4 years. If someone is going to use the facility as an excuse not to sign in Calgary thats not someone you want around anyway AFAIC.

With all the other circus drama of the last few off seasons, and the chronic underachievement of the last 15+ years I dont think anyone (ie: ownership) is overly sensitive to anyones criticisms, losing out on Love wouldnt be a major blip on their radar.

Whats the plan if Markstrom/Vladar fail? I never was sold on Marky being the answer when he was signed but I'm also not going to blame him for the teams woes. Marky has shown us what he is capable of good and bad, we'll see which side we get this season. I'm hoping with a more balanced rotation we'll see better results from whomever is in the net.

Totally agree, and I think Hanifin and saldy Tanev need to go. Hanifin is barely worth his current pay, let someone else worry about his new contract. Even though Tanev is the best defensive D man on the roster his shot blocking and D style are taking a toll on him physically and we've seen what happens when he's off in sick bay. Trade Hanifin for a stable D first D-man, get a pick or two for Tanev. I hope a good coach can tighten up Ras and Zads defensive game. As unpopular as it may be I think with the addition of Weegar, Kylington becomes expendable if he doesnt come back in top form.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Florida looks great because they had got the chance to acquire a Hart Trophy candidate via trade. Those opportunities don't, and shouldn't, really happen. 

Rebuilds take patience but they also take a whole lot of luck too. Florida got extremely lucky with Tkachuk and without him I don't think there is a chance they are where they are right now. 

Tkachuk never seemed to be as all in as this year in the playoffs.  Almost like he suffered through the coaching decisions.  Decided he would be a pest.  This year he is more of the complete hockey player.  Or so it seems.  It's a tough call between him and Bob for playoff MVP.  

FLA got two completer pieces from us.  Both are doing the things they didn't have support to do here.  And I would take Lomberg over Lucic, even though I have a soft spot for Lucic.  Effective vs nuke option.  Effective wins every time.

10 hours ago, sak22 said:

It always happens that when someone suggests "rebuild" then it's assumed they mean "just draft #1 overall and win the Cup".

While I get it, that's obviously not what teams like TB, COL, PITs, etc did.  In addition to drafting high, they also did everything else right too.  You can't just draft high alone.

In the case of FLA, they drafted #1 and #2, and then proceeded to do everything else right.  It took 8/9 years but they won the President's Trophy two seasons ago and then looking like the Cup favorite at this moment.

MacKinnon won the Cup in his 9th year in the NHL.  It takes time.  Cannot just draft top 1/2 and expect to win within 5 years.

But I would say, FLA is following exactly the Cup winning formula that these others have in the past.  They are a good example of a rebuild.  You start with the rebuild.   After that make key trades, signings, etc.

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Tkachuk never seemed to be as all in as this year in the playoffs.  Almost like he suffered through the coaching decisions.  Decided he would be a pest.  This year he is more of the complete hockey player.  Or so it seems.  It's a tough call between him and Bob for playoff MVP.  

FLA got two completer pieces from us.  Both are doing the things they didn't have support to do here.  And I would take Lomberg over Lucic, even though I have a soft spot for Lucic.  Effective vs nuke option.  Effective wins every time.

I don't agree. I thought Tkachuk was good in the playoffs last year, as was Gaudreau. He's just got more help, namely in Barkov, but I don't see a drastically different player. 

but for sure Bob is the primary reason they are where they are right now. 

5 hours ago, MP5029 said:

I’m not 100% sure that he won’t rebuild, I kinda (and maybe it’s wishful thinking) took it that they weee gonna tinker with the core a bit by adding youth into the line up….I think what Conroy will do is slowly rebuild so that the owners don’t realize what’s happening… AKA a trade here a trade or young UFA signing there etc, best thing you know we have Younger core and the owners didn’t see it coming.

also, it could be maybe Conroy said, I’ll give this another go this season but if it fails I’m gonna need to make changes on the fly..key here I think he’s gonna rotate and rebuild in the fly and that’s the key here 

Hmm I think the only way to pull this off successfully is to make all the changes in one fell swoop.  If it's slow then it will be detected eventually and stopped before it can be completed.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Hmm I think the only way to pull this off successfully is to make all the changes in one fell swoop.  If it's slow then it will be detected eventually and stopped before it can be completed.

Maybe but it’s a pipe dream anyways…I’d love to See him move:

Tanev

Hubby

Kadri

Coleman

Backlund 

pretty much all the 30+ Guys 

22 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Maybe but it’s a pipe dream anyways…I’d love to See him move:

Tanev

Hubby

Kadri

Coleman

Backlund 

pretty much all the 30+ Guys 

Best time to go in hard and clean house is this summer.  I think it depends on Lindholm.  If he wants out, then I think we should expect big changes to the core.

22 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Best time to go in hard and clean house is this summer.  I think it depends on Lindholm.  If he wants out, then I think we should expect big changes to the core.

You would think so but this is Cgy we are taking about…ownership would

rather stick it out with Hubby and Kadri as the core regardless of Lindholm who is really the key to anything moving forward.

in some Ways i’d rather he pass on Cgy and maybe force a full tearing of this old core meant age not so much tenure 

1 minute ago, MP5029 said:

You would think so but this is Cgy we are taking about…ownership would

rather stick it out with Hubby and Kadri as the core regardless of Lindholm who is really the key to anything moving forward.

in some Ways i’d rather he pass on Cgy and maybe force a full tearing of this old core meant age not so much tenure 

I'm just saying though.  They won't fire a new GM after one summer and the regular season hasn't even begun yet right?  It's the best time because it's honeymoon phase.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

I'm just saying though.  They won't fire a new GM after one summer and the regular season hasn't even begun yet right?  It's the best time because it's honeymoon phase.

Yes that would make sense…here’s hoping 🤞

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Yup agreed.   If you're a GM and you want to rebuild, day 1 is the only day you can lol.

I don't care what they call it, I know they won't call it a rebuild until it's half done.

But more specifically I am interested in how Conroy handles the UFA situation.   Is he going to be a nice guy about it, like many fear?

Or....

or.........   Is he going to make the hard decisions and use his personality to turn it into a positive?

This, to me, is a big question.

27 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Yup agreed.   If you're a GM and you want to rebuild, day 1 is the only day you can lol.

I don't care what they call it, I know they won't call it a rebuild until it's half done.

But more specifically I am interested in how Conroy handles the UFA situation.   Is he going to be a nice guy about it, like many fear?

Or....

or.........   Is he going to make the hard decisions and use his personality to turn it into a positive?

This, to me, is a big question.

Yups.  Plant the seeds early.  The average GM life span is normally just 4 to 6 years.  You get a lot of runway early into the job but not a lot by year 4.  It's generally accepted that a new GM has a lot of work cut out for them in the beginning to fix the previous guy's mess.  So huge losses and a bad record can be forgiven.  But by year 4, the fruits of labour should show and then it's difficult to fire the GM.

On the other hand, if the first two years is great and then the GM makes changes that causes the team to go South, then the GM is going to get fired.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yups.  Plant the seeds early.  The average GM life span is normally just 4 to 6 years.  You get a lot of runway early into the job but not a lot by year 4.  It's generally accepted that a new GM has a lot of work cut out for them in the beginning to fix the previous guy's mess.  So huge losses and a bad record can be forgiven.  But by year 4, the fruits of labour should show and then it's difficult to fire the GM.

On the other hand, if the first two years is great and then the GM makes changes that causes the team to go South, then the GM is going to get fired.

i-would-set-the-bar-low-low-bar.gif

Really interesting comments on the latest 32 Thoughts Podcast, Friedman said that one of the questions that they were asking during the GM interviews was why haven’t the Flames won a Cup in 30 years. The answers were pretty standard, taxes, climate, pressure, etc. The follow up question was how do they overcome those issues.

I found that interesting, not sure what it is exactly but for the first time in a very long time, I am getting a slightly different feel from the organization. I think they still want to be competitive, but I think they realize that they can’t afford to keep having a short term view, that you have to keep looking ahead.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Really interesting comments on the latest 32 Thoughts Podcast, Friedman said that one of the questions that they were asking during the GM interviews was why haven’t the Flames won a Cup in 30 years. The answers were pretty standard, taxes, climate, pressure, etc. The follow up question was how do they overcome those issues.

I found that interesting, not sure what it is exactly but for the first time in a very long time, I am getting a slightly different feel from the organization. I think they still want to be competitive, but I think they realize that they can’t afford to keep having a short term view, that you have to keep looking ahead.

How are you getting the organization is different?  What did they say or what signs point to this realization?