GM Craig Conroy

Thebrewcrew

10 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I know its a fine line .. but those 75 games got him a presidents trophy, a career year out of Huberdeu and a Jack Adams nomination..  and since Huberdeau needs to be a focus of the next coach.. he appears to have it ..

I should be clear .. im not against Love.. just highly cautious ..  hes the only internal candidate id get behind if he gets it ..

and he seems to be open to shopping.. he interviewed for the Anaheim job 

how much of it was Brunette and how much of it was him just keeping the machine going? That be my concern, he stepped into a machine that was already rolling in the right direction. I’m not saying he isn’t a good coach just that I think there are reasons to question it. 

the Anaheim job is quite a bit better than the Flames. I think the reality of the situation is the flames are not likely to ever be at the top of a top candidates list so prying him out of a good situation I just don’t see happening. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I’m fine with Brunette as a candidate but I find it odd that there is concern about Loves experience but 75 games makes Brunette a slam dunk hire? 

I’d be as equally concerned hiring Brunette as I would Love. 

I’ll be personally be surprised if you see Brunette as a candidate. Think he’s got a good thing going in Jersey. 

Maybe Love is the best thing for this team, but I have my questions about him.

Is his style too closely linked to the Flames last style?

More volume shooting from low danger areas?

AHL coach of the year, gets the most out of the limited talent, but a consistent set of players (less call ups).

I don't know how much is fact, but had heard that Love is very demanding and penalizes players by sitting them.

Does that work well with a mostly vet team?

I'm asking this stuff because I just don't know.

We have gone from an old school coach to a young one, back to an older school one to a younger one to an old school one.

Does it make sense to go from a vet coach to a rookie one without him having a year to learn the league?

Gully and Ward both were A/coaches before we brought them in.

Other than recently fired coaches, A/coaches on some teams, and rookie ones, are there any out there that would work here?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe Love is the best thing for this team, but I have my questions about him.

Is his style too closely linked to the Flames last style?

More volume shooting from low danger areas?

AHL coach of the year, gets the most out of the limited talent, but a consistent set of players (less call ups).

I don't know how much is fact, but had heard that Love is very demanding and penalizes players by sitting them.

Does that work well with a mostly vet team?

I'm asking this stuff because I just don't know.

We have gone from an old school coach to a young one, back to an older school one to a younger one to an old school one.

Does it make sense to go from a vet coach to a rookie one without him having a year to learn the league?

Gully and Ward both were A/coaches before we brought them in.

Other than recently fired coaches, A/coaches on some teams, and rookie ones, are there any out there that would work here?

In Loves defense I have read while he is very demanding, he's also very open and fair ..

It's a fine line .. there should always be a "earned not given " mentality.. your status or paycheck should not dictate your ice time ..

For younger players ..there's an obvious part that they will make mistakes and they shouldn't be afraid to..they should be afraid to keep making the same ones ..  and vets need to understand and accept they don't have necessarily the same privilege ..that's why they're vets .. 

Tbh its one of the reasons I'd be willing to get a Quenneville.. hes like Sutter in that he gives you a role and expects you to execute it ..but he was also very good at integrating kids ( he had to ..at least until his gm kept trading them away ) 

Nobody really comes to mind once you eliminate those you described .. 

I don’t know how to feel about the Nonis hire. There is no doubt that he has the experience and obviously is well respected in hockey circles, otherwise he wouldn’t keep finding jobs. His time as a GM hasn’t gone well. At the same time you don’t necessarily want to hire someone that is going to come in gunning for Conroy’s job.  You want Conroy to be comfortable making the decisions he needs to make.

30 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don’t know how to feel about the Nonis hire. There is no doubt that he has the experience and obviously is well respected in hockey circles, otherwise he wouldn’t keep finding jobs. His time as a GM hasn’t gone well. At the same time you don’t necessarily want to hire someone that is going to come in gunning for Conroy’s job.  You want Conroy to be comfortable making the decisions he needs to make.

"Senior mgmt role" to me is most likely POHO. Which more or less should be the go-between for Conroy and ownership. Nonis has been around a long time, maybe thats whats needed to give the owners some direction and idea of reasonable expectations.

Just now, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

"Senior mgmt role" to me is most likely POHO. Which more or less should be the go-between for Conroy and ownership. Nonis has been around a long time, maybe thats whats needed to give the owners some direction and idea of reasonable expectations.

Maloney is the POHO, unless Nonis pulled off the Robert California 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

POHO is Maloney’s current job, so I doubt that will be his role. Vice President of Hockey Operations maybe, Maloney’s previous role. Assistant GM is my guess.

23 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

POHO is Maloney’s current job, so I doubt that will be his role. Vice President of Hockey Operations maybe, Maloney’s previous role. Assistant GM is my guess.

My thinking..or at least hope .is that building a brsintrust like this it will include somebody speaking for Murray or at least allow him to limit his involvement ..

I can see Iggy getting Conroy's old rule "special assistant to the gm"  and Nonis either Asst GM or Vice POHO .. 

Nonis has skills we need that Conroy may not have yet 

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

My thinking..or at least hope .is that building a brsintrust like this it will include somebody speaking for Murray or at least allow him to limit his involvement ..

I can see Iggy getting Conroy's old rule "special assistant to the gm"  and Nonis either Asst GM or Vice POHO .. 

Nonis has skills we need that Conroy may not have yet 

I don't know the private side of Conroy, but the public side is very player friendly.  He would have learned the hard side of negotiations, but I sense he was the good cop.  Whatever he is, we need to shed this supposed idea that the team is nickle and dime with players in talks.  I don't know if true, but it sure seems the narrative here at times.  Not my biggest concern.  I am fed up with the targeting of lesser players.  Rooney, Lewis, Ritchie's, Lucic, etc.  Some of these guys may have their place on a roster, but not as a UFA signing, nor a everyday roster spot.  You want to bring them in on a PTO, fine.  See if they are currently better than a fringe prospect that hasn't shown up well at camp.  But, FFS stop gifting them 82 games.  They are role players and you may need them at times, but waive them and briong them up as required.  If you are signing them, they are getting the same money in the AHL.  

Rant over.

My hope is that Nonis, Conroy, Maloney and (maybe) Iggy can put together a decent list of coaches that we should consider.  Please don't start talking about Muller and Greene as good coaches that we should be looking at.  

32 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i think that some have said that Conroy isn't always a nice guy and there is a firm side to him. 

There is probably a very serious side to him and I think there needs to be if he was captain.

As long as that didn't come from any female staff we should be good.

I don't see any big ticket GM or coach being hired. 

Lets take the Flames history of being cheap for example. If they have to still pay Dutter to "not coach" you can bet your mortgage they won't hire someone expensive to coach here. Like Quenneville.

As for Love as coach and using the same system. I don't recall the problem from the players as being the system. Almost all the reports I read and heard were problems with Dutter and the atmosphere he created along with mind games. Add to that the choices Dutter made in lineups and line combinations.

The system we played is not easy to play. It is very demanding both physically and mentally. There is little room for error.

Maloney is just intern POHO anyways.  He just wants to retire in Phoenix and do the Flames advisory job part time.  So, makes sense to bring in Nonis as full time POHO.

I don't mind Nonis in that role.  He will interface Conroy with Bean/ownership and talk some sense to them.  At this point, that's all I wish for.  Someone to wake up ownership.  Nonis has the resume and background to command respect from Bean/ownership.  Just don't let Nonis make trades, signings, and draft picks.  He's had a history of being ultra conservative and too safe.

Let Conroy build this team (hopefully Nonis backs Conroy on a retool).

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Lets take the Flames history of being cheap for example. If they have to still pay Dutter to "not coach" you can bet your mortgage they won't hire someone expensive to coach here. Like Quenneville.

As for Love as coach and using the same system. I don't recall the problem from the players as being the system. Almost all the reports I read and heard were problems with Dutter and the atmosphere he created along with mind games. Add to that the choices Dutter made in lineups and line combinations.

The system we played is not easy to play. It is very demanding both physically and mentally. There is little room for error.

That's the problem isn't it.  The system limits the ability to break games open.

Maloney was saying that they wanted more goals and less 2-1, 3-2 games.

I do kinda agree about not wanting to pay while SUtter is making bank.

But I think they bought out his deal, not continuing to pay him 4 per year.

It would allow him to return to the game in another aspect for another team.

Not that he is looking to do that, but I also think he wanted out.

They have been paying for coaching at the same time for years, unfortunately.

Ward and Sutter.

Gully and BP.

BH and Gully.

AT least that's what I thought.

2 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I think the new coach has to evaluate if the current system even works for this group.  It worked very well two years ago but key players aren't here anymore (and we may lose several more this summer).  You have to coach the cards you've been dealt.

With below average goaltending, we may have to play an extra passive defensive game to make up for this... Or, go all out offense and try to score 5+ per game because our goaltending can't win 2-1 games.

26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I think the new coach has to evaluate if the current system even works for this group.  It worked very well two years ago but key players aren't here anymore (and we may lose several more this summer).  You have to coach the cards you've been dealt.

With below average goaltending, we may have to play an extra passive defensive game to make up for this... Or, go all out offense and try to score 5+ per game because our goaltending can't win 2-1 games.

I wonder if  Markstrom needs a new prescription for glasses. He seems to not see the shots very well.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Neither can our defensemen, to be fair. It's not surprising that if Tanev is out, we generally lose. He's the only solid defensive dman that we have. Way too much emphasis on D creating offense. Which is what forwards are supposed to do. I get that you need a fast dman that can handle the puck really well. One. We don't need 4 trying to be that.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

That's the problem isn't it.  The system limits the ability to break games open.

Maloney was saying that they wanted more goals and less 2-1, 3-2 games.

I do kinda agree about not wanting to pay while SUtter is making bank.

But I think they bought out his deal, not continuing to pay him 4 per year.

It would allow him to return to the game in another aspect for another team.

Not that he is looking to do that, but I also think he wanted out.

They have been paying for coaching at the same time for years, unfortunately.

Ward and Sutter.

Gully and BP.

BH and Gully.

AT least that's what I thought.

Not sure which way they'll go.. I do kind of suspect we'll see a new coaching face as opposed to a big name ..

But let's not kid ourselves , at the end of the day in the big picture of things ..Murray can care less about $8million dollars .. it's an annoying Inconvenience to him.. like you or I losing a $20 bill in the wash .. that won't be a factor in the final selection 

52 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is good news. Early word over the weekend was that Pascall was going to be staying as well. We’ll see on that one 

Very good news .. happy to hear but not surprising.. Aside from the fact he's very good and one of the best in the league at his job,  they'd never recover from the bad optics of letting him go..   he has a job for life with this team( which obviously we hope is many many years to come ) 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is good news. Early word over the weekend was that Pascall was going to be staying as well. We’ll see on that one 

This is fantastic news. What an incredibly inspiring story Snow and his family continue to be and I happy that he will continue to be part of the Flames organization. 

I am curious to see what happens with Tod Button, he is a guy who seems to continue in his role regardless of the GM. It is hard gauge what his impact is, or if there are better options available. The word is Conroy believes strongly about building through the draft, so scouting will be a big focus for him I am guessing.

23 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This is fantastic news. What an incredibly inspiring story Snow and his family continue to be and I happy that he will continue to be part of the Flames organization. 

I am curious to see what happens with Tod Button, he is a guy who seems to continue in his role regardless of the GM. It is hard gauge what his impact is, or if there are better options available. The word is Conroy believes strongly about building through the draft, so scouting will be a big focus for him I am guessing.

I am too. In the more modern NHL I don't think i've ever seen an employee last through that many GM changes. I actually think he's pretty good at his job so I get it, it's just extremely rare. 

Excluding interim titles, this would be the 5th GM he's worked for. That feels like it's crazy...

24 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I personally dont think he's going anywhere.. he's been great at his job , .takes his direction from the GM and identifies those players .. finds good gems later ..

cant blame him for the Sutter GM era as Sutter went off script a lot ..