GM Craig Conroy

Thebrewcrew

Was the obvious choice IMO once Treliving left. Sure would have preferred Tulsky but I doubt he would have said yes to an interview 

I think Conroy is qualified and while I can’t say whether he’ll be good or now what I think is exciting is his passion. He loves the flames, the city and the fans and I’ll think he’ll do whatever he can to help them win. 

I also have a fair bit of optimism he’ll make a pretty good GM. 

40 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not getting the Nonis thing. Is Burke coming back?

I get, and like personally, the idea of getting a more seasoned executive when you have a rookie GM. While I don’t think he was a good GM, I do think Nonis is a quality hockey executive. He’s well respected, especially at the NHL offices and it sounds like they consulted with the he likes of Bettman and Campbell. 

I’ve also never personally believed Maloneys promotion to POHO is a long term thing. Wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t stick around long after this. 

Just now, The_People1 said:

There's no official announcement yet.  Jumping the gun a bit here?

on Conroy or Nonis?

the official announcement on Conroy won’t come until Tuesday but it’s been confirmed by many close to the situation 

Don’t think we’re jumping the gun. Nonis, maybe. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

on Conroy or Nonis?

the official announcement on Conroy won’t come until Tuesday but it’s been confirmed by many close to the situation 

Don’t think we’re jumping the gun. Nonis, maybe. 

I mean all.  Nothing official... Just sayin.

Conroy is a good choice ..and it gives us out answer .. ownership wants continuity. This is a good thing IMO. While he will have his own voice now , and I do think he will be more driven to make sure kids get a chance ..it means we stay in forward mode . I do like it 

Now the most important next step is his decision on a coach .. for this I hope he goes outside .I could be ok with Love coming up to the bench as an assistant.. I hope he goes with a proven winner ..someone with a track record of getting the most out of young players and vets alike ..even better if they have a record of getting the most out of Huberdeau 

I would love either Quenneville or Brunette 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Conroy is a good choice ..and it gives us out answer .. ownership wants continuity. This is a good thing IMO. While he will have his own voice now , and I do think he will be more driven to make sure kids get a chance ..it means we stay in forward mode . I do like it 

Now the most important next step is his decision on a coach .. for this I hope he goes outside .I could be ok with Love coming up to the bench as an assistant.. I hope he goes with a proven winner ..someone with a track record of getting the most out of young players and vets alike ..even better if they have a record of getting the most out of Huberdeau 

I would love either Quenneville or Brunette 

Mitch Love is ... really good.  IMHO, if we don't offer him a head coach position there is a very high chance another team will and we lose him entirely.

Plus there's nobody else better suited to get our prospects to translate to the NHL, so he actually has more value here.

To me, I would be Absolutely, totally shocked if Mtich didn't get the head coach position.

Quenville knowingly turned a blind eye to straight up full blown sexual assault under his watch.  I'm not calling him a deviant but I am calling him someone you do Not want in any progressive organization whatsoever unless you really Want to start sweeping things under the rug and have them blow up in your face a few years later.

That was...criminal.  It's not Just a PR nightmare, it's so much more than that.     This is...Movie-level bad.  And could be one some day. Stay. Away.

"oh you know my players are getting raped but I don't want that to distract us from winning"

Yeah.  full stop,  No.

Let Edmonton have him.

• Like 1

Here's my thoughts on Craig Conroy:

Why not.  I like it.  Doesn't mean I'll always like it but I wanna give him a chance.

At worst:  He's a yes-man, which really is inevitable anyway.

At best:  he's the second coming of Bob Johnson.  Yeah.  I know.  Bob was a coach. Whatever.  Just role with it.  You know you feel it too.

I wanted Treliving out.  He is.  good.  I'm not going to complain about getting my way.  Do we have an owner issue?  Maybe.

But here's a thought:   We've all talked about how we need someone to "stand up" to the owners.

what if we don't?   What if we need someone who can win them over?

What if we need someone willing to take some chances and go with youth?

Sure.  This could go bad.

But maybe it won't.  So let's see.

11 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

What if we need someone who can win them over?

What if we need someone willing to take some chances and go with youth?

Sure.  This could go bad.

But maybe it won't.  So let's see.

it's a faster league and e we don't win when it counts against faster more determined teams...

10 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Mitch Love is ... really good.  IMHO, if we don't offer him a head coach position there is a very high chance another team will and we lose him entirely.

Plus there's nobody else better suited to get our prospects to translate to the NHL, so he actually has more value here.

To me, I would be Absolutely, totally shocked if Mtich didn't get the head coach position.

Quenville knowingly turned a blind eye to straight up full blown sexual assault under his watch.  I'm not calling him a deviant but I am calling him someone you do Not want in any progressive organization whatsoever unless you really Want to start sweeping things under the rug and have them blow up in your face a few years later.

That was...criminal.  It's not Just a PR nightmare, it's so much more than that.    Let Edmonton have him.

My only fear on Love is Conroy needs to get this first hire right.. and throwing a dart at an up and comer could work out amazingly.. or we get another Glenn Gulutzen.. yes he knows the kids ..but the coach number one job is getting  Huberdeau , and the vets going 

Not saying coach Q is blameless ..but he was in the dark . He learned the details when the report came out ..this is documented. .

There was an executive meeting with him and Bowman and the ones above .. can't recall if it was Bowman or the one above him that basically said in the meeting " there is a situation.. it's being handled..that's all you need to know " 

He knew nothing of the details until long after it had been "handled " and settled and the report came out ..now as coach he should have questioned ..he should have learned ..but he didn't and was punished for it 

If the league instates him, then I have no issues being the one to give him a job ..because it means he has met all the criteria the league at out for him 

52 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

My only fear on Love is Conroy needs to get this first hire right.. and throwing a dart at an up and comer could work out amazingly.. or we get another Glenn Gulutzen.. yes he knows the kids ..but the coach number one job is getting  Huberdeau , and the vets going 

Not saying coach Q is blameless ..but he was in the dark . He learned the details when the report came out ..this is documented. .

There was an executive meeting with him and Bowman and the ones above .. can't recall if it was Bowman or the one above him that basically said in the meeting " there is a situation.. it's being handled..that's all you need to know " 

He knew nothing of the details until long after it had been "handled " and settled and the report came out ..now as coach he should have questioned ..he should have learned ..but he didn't and was punished for it 

If the league instates him, then I have no issues being the one to give him a job ..because it means he has met all the criteria the league at out for him 

Not in the way you present it. 

Bowman recalled that, after learning of the incident, Quenneville shook his head and said that it was hard for the team to get to where they were, and they could not deal with this issue now.

that is directly from the investigative report the league had published. 

flamess should not be interested. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

Bowman recalled that, after learning of the incident, Quenneville shook his head and said that it was hard for the team to get to where they were, and they could not deal with this issue now.

Do you believe Quenneville should never be employed in the league again?

This is meant as an honest question for everyone...not a leading question. Just a difficult one to phrase as having no motive.

Peters' return would be much faster than Quenneville's if this is a scale.

I'm all for 2nd chances, but I'm not always for 2nd chances. If that makes sense. It's a lyric in one of my songs.lol

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

40 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

This is meant as an honest question for everyone...not a leading question. Just a difficult one to phrase as having no motive.

I'm all for 2nd chances, but I'm not always for 2nd chances. If that makes sense. It's a lyric in one of my songs.lol

That is a different spin admittedly for sure .. but at the same time , the league is handling his discipline. Not sure what that all entails ..I'm sure it's programs , therapy etc.. for him to be reinstated they have to be satisfied he's ready . So if the league clears him then I see no reason for him to be not behind a bench again .

The finalists made me wonder as well . It's common knowledge some interviews are secondary .more to do background on others than the actual person .  I do find it hard to believe Bowman and Bergevin were serious finalists .. they just don't fit the mould of what this organization has followed in the past...  But they do both have knowledge and insight to Quenneville and Muller as coaches ..

I'd love to be wrong , because I think Conroy will go with familiarity and I think Love is likely his preferred choice .. but I'm just worried going with no experience is not what a veteran core team needs ..this core just ran a demanding coach out of town .. will Mitch be able to gain the respect to make them follow? 

Brunette was able to do it after Quenneville left so it's not impossible..

Like it, love it, hate it , agree with it or not .. but Huberdeau needs to be the focus of what we build around right now ..that definitely involves Injecting youth and more around him but we need the coach that will make him the central figure but be able to dictate roles and make them follow .

I'd be higher on a gallant if not for the fact he always seems to get terminated for mysterious reasons .. 

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

im not sure I’m ready to say never. But definitely not ready to say yes now and definitely not interested in him being involved with my favorite team. 

the nhl handled all of this so poorly that I have no faith in whatever process they would take to allow him back in 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

im not sure I’m ready to say never. But definitely not ready to say yes now and definitely not interested in him being involved with my favorite team. 

the nhl handled all of this so poorly that I have no faith in whatever process they would take to allow him back in 

That is definitely the crux of it all. They generally handle everything like a hot potato, rather than honesty and transparency. Why would this be any different?

Wish him well and I will reserve judgment with him til after we see what he does. Love as the next head coach is a mistake IMHO. You pushed all your chips in one corner with Huberdeau, Weegar, and Kadri and provided every avenue of power to the inmates to run the asylum. Your only option is to put in place the only people two of them had success with is Brunnette or Quinville. Now just based on public image and less controversy Brunnette would be the safe bet and Love would be the easiest choice. Now all the BTCers and moaners that hated Sutter's systems just remember those systems were run by Love and won him coach of the year twice. Success will only bring forth repetitiveness and we know the players will just push back. 

If he hires Love or Muller to run this team he will already will show he has no balls to make hard decisions. Hiring Brunnette is the safest and simplest move for him that provides some form of familiarity to the players you were forced to bet the future on.  The other outlier is that you now have to implement a system that 21 others don't know how to play, but everyone will be happy as the losses pile up and the prospects play and frolic in obscurity. I truly hope I am wrong but I see next season as a huge mess. 

I wonder if the similiarity of the Wranglers under Love and the Flames under Sutter works against Love.

Love is a success story no doubt, but do the Flames see the NHL game different now, where scoring really hurt us.

Brunette would be my preference for a coach that brings an offense faster game.

Bob is playing better this year, so I don't know that PM turned them into a cup contender.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

I'm concerned about the talk of Tanguay due to the Iggy connection.

And the Love talk due to the connection to the Wranglers.

We can't just make the cheap choice.

42 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Wish him well and I will reserve judgment with him til after we see what he does. Love as the next head coach is a mistake IMHO. You pushed all your chips in one corner with Huberdeau, Weegar, and Kadri and provided every avenue of power to the inmates to run the asylum. Your only option is to put in place the only people two of them had success with is Brunnette or Quinville. Now just based on public image and less controversy Brunnette would be the safe bet and Love would be the easiest choice. Now all the BTCers and moaners that hated Sutter's systems just remember those systems were run by Love and won him coach of the year twice. Success will only bring forth repetitiveness and we know the players will just push back. 

If he hires Love or Muller to run this team he will already will show he has no balls to make hard decisions. Hiring Brunnette is the safest and simplest move for him that provides some form of familiarity to the players you were forced to bet the future on.  The other outlier is that you now have to implement a system that 21 others don't know how to play, but everyone will be happy as the losses pile up and the prospects play and frolic in obscurity. I truly hope I am wrong but I see next season as a huge mess. 

42 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Yep, while i would have no problems with Q as coach .. Brunette is my first choice.. i think he fits the young thinker model we are looking for..

and while i think a lot of it is fan driven, and no disrespect to what qualifications they bring to the table.. id be worried about creating an Old Boys club here .. Conroy, Iggy now were hearing Tanguay ... just look up north to see how well that worked..

To be fair to love.. the directive to the farm team many times is to play the same system as the parent club.. better to evaluate them in the system, easier to have them assimilate faster when they get called up .. so theres no guarantee or even likelihood as a head coach would mirror the systems he ran this year 

I’m fine with Brunette as a candidate but I find it odd that there is concern about Loves experience but 75 games makes Brunette a slam dunk hire? 

I’d be as equally concerned hiring Brunette as I would Love. 

I’ll be personally be surprised if you see Brunette as a candidate. Think he’s got a good thing going in Jersey. 

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I’m fine with Brunette as a candidate but I find it odd that there is concern about Loves experience but 75 games makes Brunette a slam dunk hire? 

I’d be as equally concerned hiring Brunette as I would Love. 

I’ll be personally be surprised if you see Brunette as a candidate. Think he’s got a good thing going in Jersey. 

I know its a fine line .. but those 75 games got him a presidents trophy, a career year out of Huberdeu and a Jack Adams nomination..  and since Huberdeau needs to be a focus of the next coach.. he appears to have it ..

I should be clear .. im not against Love.. just highly cautious ..  hes the only internal candidate id get behind if he gets it ..

and he seems to be open to shopping.. he interviewed for the Anaheim job