GM Craig Conroy

Thebrewcrew

48 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Very good news .. happy to hear but not surprising.. Aside from the fact he's very good and one of the best in the league at his job,  they'd never recover from the bad optics of letting him go..   he has a job for life with this team( which obviously we hope is many many years to come ) 

It's fantastic news, I'm glad this was done.

Something about Conroy is that he has the skillsets to surround himself with the right people.

I mean, he's...impossible not to like.   So if he makes wise decisions, he can build a pretty strong organization whereas with some other GMs people may or may not stay with the same attachment.

Honestly....  you know I LOVE to bash the GM.    This is a tall order for me, straight up.

How do you bash Craig Conroy? Really?

Don't worry, I'm working on it.  There is the yes-man thing.    But I'm not going to hit him with that until I've seen it.   There is potential here. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

It's fantastic news, I'm glad this was done.

Something about Conroy is that he has the skillsets to surround himself with the right people.

I mean, he's...impossible not to like.   So if he makes wise decisions, he can build a pretty strong organization whereas with some other GMs people may or may not stay with the same attachment.

Honestly....  you know I LOVE to bash the GM.    This is a tall order for me, straight up.

How do you bash Craig Conroy? Really?

Don't worry, I'm working on it.  There is the yes-man thing.    But I'm not going to hit him with that until I've seen it.   There is potential here. 

agreed.. i'm looking forward to see what his stamp is. I like they are giving him an experienced partner in Nonis.

My only fear at this point ( and to be fair most of it is just media insider talk) is now hearing names like Iggy, Tanguay, even Marc Savard has popped up is that i really hope we dont build a southern version of the Edmonton Old Boys club..

i dont think it will happen , but the pieces are there LOL

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

agreed.. i'm looking forward to see what his stamp is. I like they are giving him an experienced partner in Nonis.

My only fear at this point ( and to be fair most of it is just media insider talk) is now hearing names like Iggy, Tanguay, even Marc Savard has popped up is that i really hope we dont build a southern version of the Edmonton Old Boys club..

I hear ya.  

But if it was Edmonton, they would have made Iginla the GM instead of Conroy.  cause that's how they roll.

At least we gave it to the experienced individual.    And also, it wouldn't be Iginla.  It would be like, someone like Wideman lol.    Because the only  comparison to Iginla would be having someone like mark Messier in there.

Edmonton has an owner issue.  And it cascades from there.  They do all the right things the wrong way.

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think plenty of teams around the league have been successful using players from the past.  LA, Boston, Colorado, Carolina with Rod the Bod and Justin Williams, even Florida has a lot of former players like Luo in their hockey ops.  The problem with Edmonton was the refusal to go away from what wasn't working mainly Kevin Lowe.

• Like 1

The problem with the "old boys" club in Edmonton was promoting/hiring people that weren't really qualified. MacTavish went from AHL head coach to GM in 2 seasons. Kicking Kevin Lowe upstairs despite sub par results?

That's not really happening here. 

Press conference tidbits so far:

- Called this a "dream job"

- On Iginla. Was open they have talked but nothing firm at this point. 

- Was asked about if he thought a rebuild was on the table: Didn't answer directly. Said they have 7 UFAs and you "cannot" go into the season with that many UFAs. Said they need to change but in his mind change starts with more younger players. Was pretty passionate about they need more youth in their lineup

- How are you different than Brad: mentioned young players. Said his plan is to leave space on this roster for young players to step into.  

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

- Was asked about if he thought a rebuild was on the table: Didn't answer directly. Said they have 7 UFAs and you "cannot" go into the season with that many UFAs. Said they need to change but in his mind change starts with more younger players. Was pretty passionate about they need more youth in their lineup

- How are you different than Brad: mentioned young players. Said his plan is to leave space on this roster for young players to step into.  

these 2 points alone make me and I'm sure a lot of other people Happy ....

on the coach:

- Have to be a team. Work collaboratively

- Good communicator. Spoke about how you can't just tell players "do this" anymore, they want to know the why. 

- Have fun. Said how he always had fun coming to the rink and wants the same atmosphere here. Thinks if you have this, you'll win more games. 

First press conferences are usually positive but Conroy is saying ALL the things you want to hear right now. 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This says to me that its more of a re-tool as opposed to the other R word. But having this out in the open lets the pending UFAs know what to expect in the next few years so maybe someone looking to be on a contender may waive certain movement clauses either now or closer to TDL. I dont expect anyone to have the same reservations they had at seasons end but maybe theres already plans for the FAs going forward.

I thought that was an excellent press conference. I realize that the introductory ones are always inspiring, but I genuinely believe that our team is in good hands. I like that he didn't shy away from direct questions about players that decided they didn't want to be Flames, and I felt his enthusiasm, and his passion for the city and organization. This summer has already been another roller coaster, but this feels like a real high point.

Love.

• Like 1

Hard not to smile after that press conference. I agree that things are in good hands because their management group, which was already pretty smart, is mostly intact and I think Conroy's personality is a big positive. 

The biggest takeaway for me is I think the Flames, including Conroy, fully understand that their reputation has taken a hit over the last few years and one of their top priorities is to fix that. I liked that they all had answers acknowledging this, not hiding from it, and some ideas on how to fix it.

I think between his personality, and the fact he was a player himself, can go along way in helping to repair that image. 

• Like 2

My biggest takeaways , either by direct or indirect mention :

- if u don't  want to be here you wont be 

- the Johnny situation will NEVER happen again 

- jobs for kids to win .. not given but there to win 

- one way or the other we wont have 7 UFAs entering the season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

My biggest takeaways , either by direct or indirect mention :

- if u don't  want to be here you wont be 

- the Johnny situation will NEVER happen again 

- jobs for kids to win .. not given but there to win 

- one way or the other we wont have 7 UFAs entering the season 

On-point.

I like to biitch.   

I'm stuck

They didn't say "rebuild" but.... they did say they're going to learn from their mistakes, and not do another UFA filled season.      That is so much better than previous pressers which were all about winning now.  There was actually some focus on continuity, long term success, and standards.

Yeah.  "if you don't want to be here, you won't" was exactly what was needed here.  

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Hard not to smile after that press conference. I agree that things are in good hands because their management group, which was already pretty smart, is mostly intact and I think Conroy's personality is a big positive. 

The biggest takeaway for me is I think the Flames, including Conroy, fully understand that their reputation has taken a hit over the last few years and one of their top priorities is to fix that. I liked that they all had answers acknowledging this, not hiding from it, and some ideas on how to fix it.

I think between his personality, and the fact he was a player himself, can go along way in helping to repair that image. 

Usually, in the past, something awful happens, I see you pissed at the start, and then you buy in.

And I stay pissed.  lol.

This time, I'm buying in too.  For now.  I believe Conroy's ability to build and maintain relationships is what's needed in this role.   And so far he has simply just done sensible things.  I mean I would have been great in this regard too but Conroy is a very close 2nd.

Doesn't mean I won't go off the deep end later, but I'm willing to give this a chance.   Still, of course, noting and agreeing with some of your previous criticisms.   They are as of yet unproven and happy to let them remain that way.

17 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

On-point.

I like to biitch.   

I'm stuck

They didn't say "rebuild" but.... they did say they're going to learn from their mistakes, and not do another UFA filled season.      That is so much better than previous pressers which were all about winning now.  There was actually some focus on continuity, long term success, and standards.

Yeah.  "if you don't want to be here, you won't" was exactly what was needed here.  

Don't read too much into the UFA comment.  It's an extreme statement.

When have we signed 7?  

But, I also don't think we will look for answers solely in FA.

There are players that are probably going to be shopped.

What that does is free up cap or solve player problems.

We have bot, but I don't agree (with some) who is the problem.

With the new GM, there is going to be a tendency to build around the top players.

Find the right player for Kadri (Nichushkin?).

Have we tried Huberdeau enough on the wrong wing and the wrong C to build that top line?

Anyway, I think that we have to find the right balance.

We maybe are close, success rate not withstanding.

Not exactly a fit with some players.

I'm ok with Conroy, albeit had hesitation at first, his press conference was a passing mark and if he can be firm and tough when needed then we got the best hire for this position.

I sway from the "ole boys club" mentality, sure he loves Calgary, and has a ton of experience with the organization but that doesn't always mean that's the best fit either.

What he does with the team in moving pieces around, utilizing the younger players, addressing the UFA's and selecting the right coach will then determine the future of this team moving forward and my confidence in his role.

I have positives for Conroy and hope this works out well for the team and most important the fans who support this great game.

30 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

When have we signed 7?  

With the new GM, there is going to be a tendency to build around the top players.

Have we tried Huberdeau enough on the wrong wing and the wrong C to build that top line?

I don't know about that one.  More information is needed, but what's out there so far doesn't look too good.  Maybe they can trade Kadri back to Colorado if they can terminate that contract.

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

When have we signed 7?  

I think Huberdeau and Lindholm could work. I just think the RW has to change in that scenario. Toffoli seems like a player that once he gets the puck, he doesn't share it as often or as naturally as others. I feel he holds onto it for just a bit longer than he needs to. While he can generate chances for himself, I don't see him as smooth as Huberdeau's line mates  when he was in Florida. I could be wrong. 

It's why I think maybe Kadri with Toffoli could work? Kadri is also more of a passer as well. 

I see Mangiapane and Toffoli as very similar in that they make their own chances, but once on their sticks the offence changes. The play isn't as fluid? I don't know if I am explaining it right. The puck is on their sticks longer than usual, where as other guys tend to make passes more often. 

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Usually, in the past, something awful happens, I see you pissed at the start, and then you buy in.

And I stay pissed.  lol.

This time, I'm buying in too.  For now.  I believe Conroy's ability to build and maintain relationships is what's needed in this role.   And so far he has simply just done sensible things.  I mean I would have been great in this regard too but Conroy is a very close 2nd.

Doesn't mean I won't go off the deep end later, but I'm willing to give this a chance.   Still, of course, noting and agreeing with some of your previous criticisms.   They are as of yet unproven and happy to let them remain that way.

Oh i'm still concerned about those. I'm still not of the belief the environment here will allow Conroy to do all these things he is saying, just like it wasn't for the last 3 GMs, but i'll always err on the side of optimism. 

I still think Conroy can be a good GM and I think his attitude can do a lot of win over fans. I just hope we are patient and understanding if/when we see things happen that are more about the environment and less about him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

When have we signed 7?  

actually he was referring to the fact we have 7 pending UFA going into next season currently .. saying that isnt gonna happen. You either extend or we trade you ( or we trade you because we dont want to extend you ) 

33 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Oh i'm still concerned about those. I'm still not of the belief the environment here will allow Conroy to do all these things he is saying, just like it wasn't for the last 3 GMs, but i'll always err on the side of optimism. 

I still think Conroy can be a good GM and I think his attitude can do a lot of win over fans. I just hope we are patient and understanding if/when we see things happen that are more about the environment and less about him. 

That's what I keep telling people,  it's all about positive attitude