GM Craig Conroy

Thebrewcrew

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The way the Panthers are built is so unique and difficult to do. But also probably not the ideal way to build a team. But, hey, they might win a Cup.

They drafted a goalie in the first round then a few days later spent 70m on a goalie. Really weird and hasn't worked particularly well. If Bob wins them a Cup, it was well worth it.

They haven't drafted very well. Only 3 players in their playoff lineup were drafted by them. All three were 1st roundd picks.

Their pro scouting team has done an incredible job. They've done a nice job filling out the bulk of the roster with players acquired via trade, UFA, waivers.

The big issue is that they've traded away so many picks. They're going to go 4 years between 1st round picks. That's going to catch up with them

If they win, it's all worth it. Just a completely different way to build a hockey team

They are also very fortunate to be able to do whatever they want with little fanfare. I find the CDN markets leave teams almost paralyzed to operate that way due to media and fan scrutiny. You really can't do whatever you please because the markets themselves tie so much baggage to everything and everyone. The microscope becomes prohibitive. Florida/Vegas can trade anyone, anytime, and barely an eyelash is batted. It's only heavily scrutinized by CDN media that doesn't affect them. We're stuck with an aging 3C because now he's a Blockchaining ambassador, needs to be the captain and retire here.

So everybody, but everybody, is overrated and glorified. That never existed in Florida or Vegas. Players are commodities, no one cares.

Meanwhile, in Canada, it's not a business, it's a passion. I doubt any CDN team will ever figure it out. There's just way too much limelight and outside noise to just do whatever the heck you please. It's suffocating.

Let alone the players may like to go outside unrecognized in their private lives as they mature. A lot of compounding problems that, honestly, we bring upon ourselves. It's not going to change. Fans and media hyper-scrutiny is the elephant in the room.

Do you think any US market team would have given a flying Blockchain about Sutter's pressers? They wouldn't have. But here, it becomes a big deal. It's mind-numbing how CDN media and fans will jump at any angle to throw shade.

Jump on the Pelletier comments? JFC...

Vegas and Florida aren't above trading anyone. And I mean anyone.

The fans are pretty much, "okay, we'll leave the hockeying to you", without discourse. CDN teams, if you don't think media fishing for fan discourse plays a role, you're naive. It doesn't drive it, but there is noticeable influence.

The biggest commonality with the Cup teams is it's all or nothing. Both of these teams could be spiraling downwards soon. I really applaud the bravado

Imho Tkachuk was very obviously collusion. No doubt in my mind FLA isn't returning Huberdeau, Weegar, Schwindt and a 1st at the drop of a hat. Not even maybe. I'm sure his dad talked to St. Loo beforehand also.

I feel like Matt started scheming an exit strategy and potentially started being a little magpie in Gaudreau's ear.

This wasn't an overnight thing, Walt had been colluding for a while.

I hated having to cheer for Tkachuk regardless, so I'm glad he's gone. I don't trust that he didn't raise the bar of dissent here though, because he's an arrogant Blockchain. He's your prototypical jock on a superiority kick that everyone likes to overlook if you're good enough. Then when you're an Hash Rate, they polish it with, "he exudes confidence".

While sometimes, you're just an Hash Rate silver-spoon fed kid.

My advice to Vegas players, just keep saying "your dad" to him.

"Did your dad dress you again this morning"?

"Did your dad teach you that"?

"Is that mouth guard Daddy's foreskin"?

"What, is your dad coming down to fight me now"?

And keep it up.

You can't just say "Segwit" anymore, that offends a group of people and will no longer be tolerated unless you were asking for cigarettes in Britain. Although I'm not an authority on these matters.

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The way the Panthers are built is so unique and difficult to do. But also probably not the ideal way to build a team. But, hey, they might win a Cup.

They drafted a goalie in the first round then a few days later spent 70m on a goalie. Really weird and hasn't worked particularly well. If Bob wins them a Cup, it was well worth it.

They haven't drafted very well. Only 3 players in their playoff lineup were drafted by them. All three were 1st roundd picks.

Their pro scouting team has done an incredible job. They've done a nice job filling out the bulk of the roster with players acquired via trade, UFA, waivers.

The big issue is that they've traded away so many picks. They're going to go 4 years between 1st round picks. That's going to catch up with them

If they win, it's all worth it. Just a completely different way to build a hockey team

Kinda but it’s also a sensible way.  They picked up great first rounders in trades…3 off the top of my head:

Tachuck

Bennett

Reinheart

we need to look at those types of trades…

Cozens

Kaapo

Laferinere 

maybe even…

Mercer

neighbours

DeBrusk

not all these guys could be had but these are the players I’d target and keep player like

Manji

Andsrson

Dube

vladar

basically our vet leader group in a few years who would be the traceable assets for more players like mentions above keep trading older talent for younger talent…Mlt has started the same process with Kerry D it seems to be smarter way to build.

I’m of opinion NYR is a great target for Cgy  right now as they need and want 27/28/29/30 year olds not 21/22/23 year year old players.  We have want the need and want now, mid you some of this would be a gamble/risk but I’d say go after:

Laferinere LW

Kaayo RW

I’m thinking Hanifin + Lindholm would interest them…then move out others as best you can..

Bos is also an interesting option for Kadri, Hubby and Tanev…Sakarya cap issues though but pretty sure Bos would be interested in those to with Kri and Berg possibly retiring in a year or two they are getting very long in the tooth Hunny and Kadri would buy them some

time and for some reason I think Hubby and Kadri would not only be good fits in Bos but also they would thrive.  Obviously NTC/NMC and cap would constrain moves with Bos…also Backlund would be a great fit for them too! 

Florida can simply attract players in ways that other teams cannot.

Because it's...Florida.

However,  I do not believe they can attract true cup winners.   If you like Shaq interviews and you need to work on your tan and you're talented,  Florida is a great destination.

If you wanna win  a cup.....I still believe Florida is not the destination of choice until proven otherwise. 

29 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Florida can simply attract players in ways that other teams cannot.

Because it's...Florida.

However,  I do not believe they can attract true cup winners.   If you like Shaq interviews and you need to work on your tan and you're talented,  Florida is a great destination.

If you wanna win  a cup.....I still believe Florida is not the destination of choice until proven otherwise. 

But Tampa Bay won two straight and almost 3.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

But Tampa Bay won two straight and almost 3.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that nice climate teams can't win cups.

Bad argument considering the two teams in the finals lol 

I just mean Florida,  specifically,  was not built for a cup in my mind and has not attracted those kinds of players.

Odd thing to say right now, I know.   But there is a big difference between making it to the finals and winning the cup.   I guess we will see.

5 hours ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

Honestly with me it feels weird with teams in florida cause of the weather cause hockey is a winter sport and when it is winter it is still beautiful down there very difficult imo to be a hockey fan down there due to the weather not being like a hockey winter

Yet some of the best markets are the warmest.

California, Vegas, Florida.

Fans in vegas walking to the game in 95 F degree weather.

No different in early spring.

Florida a bit different, but should I go to the beach or watch hockey.

It 85 degrees out, hmmm I think I want to get cool.

Nice cool hockey rink where I need a hoodie.

7 hours ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

Honestly with me it feels weird with teams in florida cause of the weather cause hockey is a winter sport and when it is winter it is still beautiful down there very difficult imo to be a hockey fan down there due to the weather not being like a hockey winter

Perhaps quite the opposite.  When it gets too hot, cooling down for 3 hours at a hockey game and enjoying the A/C might just be the thing.

But I do wonder about hockey development in these locations.  Can't go the local pond in the winter and skate for hours.  Renting ice is expensive and that's the only way in Florida.

So it appears Huska is the new coach. I wonder what Conroy’s first order of business would be? Would he lean in Huska to allow offensive players to be more creative? Maybe hire Love as an assistant? What would be the next step? Maybe try to find out which players work best with Huska and potential problem players you move on from?

Just now, The_People1 said:

Are we worried this is going to start feeling like the old boys club again?  

I'm a bit worried and don't necessarily like it. But what eases me is that he's in the process of coaching so he's still connected to hockey and seeing talent.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Are we worried this is going to start feeling like the old boys club again?  

not really. I think what I find different here is people are earning their opportunities. Conroy worked his way up, Huska worked his way up and Iggy is starting as an advisor. 

Detroit has been operating this way for years and j don’t hear many complaints about it. 

What's the role of a "Special Advisor"? Job Title exactly entail.

Don't get me wrong love Iggy but is this so Conroy can point blame when things go wrong and take credit when things go riight?

I've always knocked on the greasers for the "ole boys club" mentality being a stick in the mud but now here we go with the Flames team.

Thinking positives regardless for our team but this isn't by far any means favorable in my books. New blood sometimes is what builds teams up with more "out of the box" principles.

6 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

Don't get me wrong love Iggy but is this so Conroy can point blame when things go wrong and take credit when things go riight?

I've always knocked on the greasers for the "ole boys club" mentality being a stick in the mud but now here we go with the Flames team.

Thinking positives regardless for our team but this isn't by far any means favorable in my books. New blood sometimes is what builds teams up with more "out of the box" principles.

i see it more as another eye out in the hockey world and to discuss where talent is for now. Iginla has access to a lot of players as a coach for his kids team. Conroy already said that he has pointed direction to some players. Now maybe getting paid for it?

I dunno. There would be a lot more there. but I'm thinking it's just a small example of what might be happening. The type of work.

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

not really. I think what I find different here is people are earning their opportunities. Conroy worked his way up, Huska worked his way up and Iggy is starting as an advisor. 

Detroit has been operating this way for years and j don’t hear many complaints about it. 

I've seen it go bad.  But I support this move.

Iggy is...not your average NHL player.

He is intelligent, on and off the ice.  Most certainly would have been quite educated by now were it not for hockey.

To me this is an example of Conroy drawing in the right people.   This is not Kevin Lowe, far from it.

6 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I've seen it go bad.  But I support this move.

Iggy is...not your average NHL player.

He is intelligent, on and off the ice.  Most certainly would have been quite educated by now were it not for hockey.

To me this is an example of Conroy drawing in the right people.   This is not Kevin Lowe, far from it.

100% agree and like I stated I'm thinking positives, our "water" is fine in Calgary I love Iggy but I hope Conroy has the confidence also and not just relying on this "new created position" for him.

10 hours ago, cross16 said:

Zero complaints. @rocketdoctor, before I forget again, and any of you other fancy book readin'-types, read Jim Devallano's book. Dude breathes hockey. He's been the go-to guy in Detroit since I was in high school for god's sakes.lol You'll be amazed at the dots that connect through him, Arbour, Bowman, the Russian Five, on and on.

We tense up about drafting Russians NOW, he was doing it in the Iron Curtain days because all he saw were great hockey players, not limitations. Fascinating book.

Detroit epitomizes loyalty. Looking at their staff is like a walk down memory lane. It's a family to be certain.

Reminds me of Ken Dryden saying the difference between the NHL vs NFL. In the NHL you retire and the game is still open for you if you want to stay in some capacity. In the NFL, you retire and the game washes it's hands of you if you weren't a superstar. That's a harrowing difference in what happens when the cameras go away.

I have zero issues bringing Iggy or anyone else back for that matter if they are invested in the concept.

Hell, Gary Roberts should have been our fitness coach.

Backlund can scout Sweden, Tanev can scout D...on and on. Hell, keep Lewis on staff.

Think of the positives. Who better to sell your city and working environment then the guys who have been through it.

Would you rather Nieuwendyk talking straight up to a young players parents about the challenges or conundrumed telling them what they want to hear?

It is clearly only sensible and guys like Iggy are no longer in the spotlight constantly so can offer a ton of support.

I'd be all for it. Edmonton is all buddies is the difference. Detroit, sure with Yzerman and Lidstrom, but Cleary, Fischer, Campbell, Maltby and others are not 'name' power guys. Edmonton brings back Gretzky and Messier constantly. They miss the point. That's an old boys club mentality.

With Conroy as GM, I am completely comfortable with him hiring any ex-teammate because he knows the person and he sees the fit. That's all Yzerman does, he doesn't hire outside of his circle. Even Lalonde coached their ECHL affiliate at one point.

I'm all for it and I'd be fine with seeing more of it from Conroy. It doesn't matter how it looks, his comfort is all that matters.

This “old boys club” isn’t really a thing anyway. Its normal for well functioning clubs to make moves like this. 
Go look at Detroit. They employ 6-8 former Red wings. 
Sakic has multiple former Avs(Ozolinsh, Reinprecht,Billington) working for the team. 
the Lightning brought back former players too. Dave Andrechuyk, Jeff Halpern

the “old boys club” was really unique to Edmonton and we shouldn’t be surprised they would screw that up. There is hiring ex players and then yhrtr is hiring friends for roles they are not qualified for. Edmonton did the later.

nothing wrong with having former players in your organization. 

16 hours ago, medatswhoP said:

This is a normal position in today's NHL and is a good way for ex players to get started in Management. It's an intentionally vague title because then it allows them to do whatever they feel is important in the moment. They can ask Jarome's input on players (both amateur and pro) send him on scouting visits, ask him to scout, ask him to sit in on meetings, share ideas, even work with the coaches if Conroy wanted him to. Get a little taste of everything. 

Should point out, it's how Conroy got started under Feaster. 

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Zero complaints. @rocketdoctor, before I forget again, and any of you other fancy book readin'-types, read Jim Devallano's book. Dude breathes hockey. He's been the go-to guy in Detroit since I was in high school for god's sakes.lol You'll be amazed at the dots that connect through him, Arbour, Bowman, the Russian Five, on and on.

We tense up about drafting Russians NOW, he was doing it in the Iron Curtain days because all he saw were great hockey players, not limitations. Fascinating book.

Read Russian 5 and Jimmy D's book in the last 6 months.  Enjoyed both of them although Jimmy D has a large ego he  probably deserves it!!

Also taken in Hrudey's book which was okay and The Grim Reaper which I really enjoyed.

• Like 1