GM Craig Conroy

Thebrewcrew

15 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Sorry to paraphrase. I am just tired of the whole philosophical debate, I prefer being honest.  Everyone hated the pick.  I defended the pick but with the caveat that he would show us something early.  He didn't.   Now I am not supporting the pick because Conroy most likely did not have better info.   

This.  "We need F desperately ".

My man.  We missed the playoffs last season because of goaltending and D.   It is worse now.  It was....horrendous in the preseason.

Goaltending and D is our most glaring weakness.  Right now.

Everyone hated the pick is the same as saying the consensus rankings.  I read as many positive comments from the draft as negative.  Many preferred a different player at the time, but by no means did they hate it.

Goaltending - a poor year after a great year.  Biggest changes that occurred were the swapping out of two top 10 players for one top 10 player and a guy coming off a career year, and the exclusion of one of our top 4 D.  Same coaches but stubborn to use players in roles they would not succeed in.  An additional 44 goals let in last season.  33 less goals scored for.  What was it, 12 goals against in OT?  How many 1 goal losses?  In close games the lack of scoring makes a big difference.  I admit that there were games that just turned me off, like the CHI game followed by the STL game. 

Defense - As mentioned, we settled to use our 7th D many times due to missing a top 4 D.  That is not solved by draft a D today.  ASP may be no closer to playing in the NHL than Poirier.  How does that transfer agreement work? 

We need F desperately - I still stand by this.  We have very few high end F prospects.  Our top 2 are NHL roster with one injured.  Honzek may be a ways out, but he's not a long shot to be in the NHL next season.  I thought Coronato would have a tough time showing NHL readiness.  He seems ready now.  Took 2 years.  

Look, the only reason we are having this conversation is your absolute statements.  You speak for yourself not the entire fanbase.  I welcome the discussion based on your opinions.    

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Look, the only reason we are having this conversation is your absolute statements.  You speak for yourself not the entire fanbase.  I welcome the discussion based on your opinions.    

Maybe in how my statements are interpreted.  

I did use the "unforgiveable" word but it was contingent on how this looks in the future.  I didn't mean it's unforgivable at this point.

All I have said for now is that I disagree with the pick.  I feel it was off the board at the draft considering most had Honzek and Pellika separated by at least 15-20 spots which is massive...almost Jankowski massive, for the first round.   

Or more.  Many had Pellika top 5.

I did.

So...yes, if this plays out like it looks now, I think that's unforgivable in a draft this strong.    An obvious case of nepotism, like Jankowski.   And yes I believe the Jankowski pick was also unforgivable,  but this draft is even stronger and more obvious.   Does that sound inflammatory this early?  Sure maybe.

I said right in the post though that it's too early to jump to that.

People don't read.  They get worked up and resort to their constructs.

A fan should be able to state " I strongly disagree with Conroy's 1st pick"  without people going insane and pulling the pom poms out and going into defense mode.

I never attacked anyone in here, I didn't make any personal statements.   They were made towards me because people get this weird hoard mentality when someone dares state something obvious. 

I would prefer some intellectual honesty or at least decency towards people who prefer to speak plainly.  Yes, almost everyone who is making a big deal of this also had an issue with the pick when Honzek was drafted.   This should not be so controversial and there should be room for an opinion which I believe is actually commonly shared.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

If you didn't have a problem with it then I am not sure why you wrote that you had a problem with it when it happened.

Either way, yes...Pellika Is a ways out because defenceman take longer to develop.  That's my point.

That's beyond your typical misleading crap. That's an outright lie. I like the pick and have never said otherwise, not even when it happened. To quote myself in the draft thread, my first response is, "I like the pick".

Thanks for making me waste my time and confirming that you are lying though, I knew you were.

Stop making Satoshi Nakamoto up.

Detroit's my other team, it's no secret. If you wanna know the truth, I'm disappointed that they took Sandin-Pellikka. A sub 6' dman needs to be waaaay better than everyone else, not just a little.

He's got a lot to work on. He's in the SHL. No preseason here, where even AHL forecheckers are going to kill him on the smaller ice.

I think you're getting waaaay ahead of yourself because of stats. Did you watch those games?

Hopefully he reaches his hype, because Edvinsson will need a partner, so it's not like an RD can't find a spot next to Hedman-esque if he's half capable.

I, for one, am more hopeful Wallinder can be a LS RD with Ed.

I have zero idea why you're getting so excited. I'd trade ASP for Honzek right now if I'm running Detroit. He'd look good with Danielson at C and Berggren switching to RW.

Instead, Honzek didn't play with much at our camp. Just a first taste of camp, really. He's fine.

When's the shoulder surgery that most tall players need? lol

• Like 1

I'm not sure there is a more pointless debate out there than arguing prospects less than 4 months after they've been picked. 

I didn't love the Honzek pick but I certainly didn't hate it so false statements to rile people up or try and prove your point just feeds a pointless exercise. Maybe the Flames did get the pick wrong but for me 4 months is no where near enough time to make that case. 

I also really wish we can bury this idea of consensus drafting. It's such a pointless exercise. 

• Like 1

Perhaps we can bury this thread with regards to discussing picks from this year for awhile.  

Top 5 picks this year are close to a slam dunk, for picks.

None are proven yet.  Most, if not all, will be NHL players for a long time.

Beyond that, it's a lot of development needed for the rest of the draft.

If we are going to criticize the GM, there are better areas of responsibility to choose from.

Trade, signings, roster....

Have at er.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

That's beyond your typical misleading crap. That's an outright lie. I like the pick and have never said otherwise, not even when it happened. To quote myself in the draft thread, my first response is, "I like the pick".

Thanks for making me waste my time and confirming that you are lying though, I knew you were.

Stop making Satoshi Nakamoto up.

Detroit's my other team, it's no secret. If you wanna know the truth, I'm disappointed that they took Sandin-Pellikka. A sub 6' dman needs to be waaaay better than everyone else, not just a little.

He's got a lot to work on. He's in the SHL. No preseason here, where even AHL forecheckers are going to kill him on the smaller ice.

I think you're getting waaaay ahead of yourself because of stats. Did you watch those games?

Hopefully he reaches his hype, because Edvinsson will need a partner, so it's not like an RD can't find a spot next to Hedman-esque if he's half capable.

I, for one, am more hopeful Wallinder can be a LS RD with Ed.

I have zero idea why you're getting so excited. I'd trade ASP for Honzek right now if I'm running Detroit. He'd look good with Danielson at C and Berggren switching to RW.

Instead, Honzek didn't play with much at our camp. Just a first taste of camp, really. He's fine.

When's the shoulder surgery that most tall players need? lol

Fine.  You're right.

I confused you with Peeps.  Sorry.

But, you had him kind of grouped in as a Ruzicka player as well and I think that's how my wires got crossed.

Bottom line...y'all get worked up about a pick that you know deep down was probably a mistake, and I'm the bad guy for saying it.

This does look a lot like a Jankowski thread we had going after he got drafted, with all the same people defending him even though...they knew .   Cause you are all smart.   I know you know.  I know you knew then.

Some feel it's pointless to bring it up.  Well, I would agree if it didn't keep happening.   A lot of people said a lot of things back then which would make them glad those Jankowski threads were archived.    I hope this doesn't go the same way but really for what I initially said, which was totally true,  this reaction was not warranted.

K I'm done with it.

19 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Fine.  You're right.

But, you had him kind of grouped in as a Ruzicka player as well and I think that's how my wires got crossed.

Bottom line...y'all get worked up about a pick that you know deep down was probably a mistake, and I'm the bad guy for saying it.

This does look a lot like a Jankowski thread we had going after he got drafted, with all the same people defending him even though...they knew .   Cause you are all smart.   I know you know.  I know you knew then.

Some feel it's pointless to bring it up.  Well, I would agree if it didn't keep happening.   A lot of people said a lot of things back then which would make them glad those Jankowski threads were archived.    I hope this doesn't go the same way but really for what I initially said, which was totally true,  this reaction was not warranted.

K I'm done with it.

Your bottom line is just that, your bottom line.  I believe you are more worked up about this pick than anyone else.  I don't see anyone posting that we should fire the GM over it.

I will leave it at that, since most will probably wait till Honzek actually plays before they start saying it was a win or a fail.  Gaudreau's first 5 games was not proof positive of what he would bring to the game.  More examples than that of course.  

BTW, Janko was drafted in 2012.  I think some things have changed.

The thing is, this is nothing like the Jankowski pick. The angst about that (and yes I went back and looked at the archived thread) was the trade down. As a prospect, as this has been proven out if you look at that draft and where Janko was picked, many liked him but the problem got magnified when you saw who they passed on to trade down, and then it really got hammered home when Seiloff (who was a bad pick to begin with) didn't pan out.  But pretty different in terms of what went into drafting them, never mind the fact that the person who make the Janko pick isn't even in the organization anymore. 

Even still, these are human beings so to try and make the case that this resembles Jankowski so therefore the odds of them ending up the same is a massive stretch, not to mention just wrong. When it comes to drafting I totally get people get there guys that they want and it sucks not to get them, and of course your going to compare who your team picked to how you wanted. All of that is natural, it's the rush to try and say "I told you so" that is really foolish exercise. At the end of the day some of us are fine to let this play out because at the end of the day, we all really have no idea how this is going to go so let's see. Really as simple as that. 

Honzek wasn't my first choice, but I don't think my first choice is a guaranteed all-star.  I can easily move on and get behind Honzek because I want the team to do well, others just want to be right on a message board.  If you go back to the old draft threads we are all wrong at some points, many wanted Lavoie and others over Pelletier, some wanted Alex Nylander over Tkachuk, and almost everyone was over the moon when Bennett fell.  We are all wrong at points, and if anyone is actually never wrong, then you are wasting your talents here and should be seeking a way to get paid for it.

56 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Fine.  You're right.

So I liked the pick, but there's a bottom line that completely negates the actual point that I was making, which is that you were lying about how I felt about it.

Sooo, wtf is up with "bottom line"? Bottom line is that you're making Satoshi Nakamoto up. Now, what? "Deep down", wherever that is, I'm supposed to know something.

Didn't I try to stop your "Ryan Francis is hands down our best prospect" thing before?

Jesus man, that sak speech in another thread about talking in absolutes. It's a thing.

Don't do it.

You said I was anti-Honzek at 16. Lie. Now I know deep down or we're all idiots playing good guy vs bad guy. Get real. Nobody cares, I hope, about that Satoshi Nakamoto.

So I liked the pick, but there's a bottom line that completely negates the actual point that I was making, which is that you were lying about how I felt about it.

Sooo, wtf is up with "bottom line"? Bottom line is that you're making Satoshi Nakamoto up. Now, what? "Deep down", wherever that is, I'm supposed to know something.

Didn't I try to stop your "Ryan Francis is hands down our best prospect" thing before?

Jesus man, that sak speech in another thread about talking in absolutes. It's a thing.

Don't do it.

You said I was anti-Honzek at 16. Lie. Now I know deep down or we're all idiots playing good guy vs bad guy. Get real. Nobody cares, I hope, about that Satoshi Nakamoto.

Going off memory alone, I remember you saying that you were ok with the pick and that Detroit was hoping to get him as well, that if Danielson wasn't available, Honzek might have been an alternative plan for them, or a hope down the line. 

I hope Honzek can be an everyday guy in two years, develops into something more than 55 points per year. 

35 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Going off memory alone, I remember you saying that you were ok with the pick and that Detroit was hoping to get him as well, that if Danielson wasn't available, Honzek might have been an alternative plan for them, or a hope down the line. 

I hope Honzek can be an everyday guy in two years, develops into something more than 55 points per year

55 is no slouch.  Bennett's best season was 28 goals and 49 points.  I get what you are saying, though.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Don't do it.

No idea what sak said.  I blocked him when he made light of pedophilia in hockey.  Sometimes absolutes have their place.  I know what you said though.  It's going to age a lot better than what you're saying now.  

Sorry JJ, the inflammatory comment was not just aimed at you and still isn’t. More comments have been made towards you by others which are equally, if not more heated and inflammatory, something I did not want to happen, as per my opening paragraph. 

The rest of my comment, starting with a new paragraph, was to be discussion around why I disagree with your statement of the need for D being the biggest need, showing why I disagree. Also, as for Sandin Pellika, multiple teams skipped him so there must have been something that was less impressive. Was it his size? Maybe. Was it something he demonstrated during interviews? Maybe. I don’t know why but multiple teams skipped him in favour of other players, not just the Flames. I don’t have an in, so I don’t know why, but I trust there was a reason why multiple teams didn’t choose him.

I agree the Flames need to draft more high end D, I also believe they need more high end F so picking one over the other doesn’t bother me. You can look at my previous posts and my preference is for bigger RHS RW or D with skill in drafts. Just because it is my preference doesn’t mean I am right, it is my opinion only.

When I post, I try to make thoughtful, logical comments with supporting evidence. I believe I did that in my post. I try not to post just for the sake of increasing my post count. Hopefully that comes across to most.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 2:28 PM, kehatch said:

Jury is still out for me on Conroy. 

• I like what he says.  Specifically on not losing assets for nothing, injecting youth in the line up, not trading futures.  But its easier to say then do if you want to stay competitive in this league.  
  • I am pretty meh on the coaching hires.  Its tough for fans to weigh in too much as we don't have the perspective.  But I am not a huge fan of Huska or Sigalet.  I get why they didn't hire Love as an assistant under Huska, but I would have preferred to either give Love the HC position or hire an outside HC and bring Love in as an assistant.  Huska is fine, just a bit too safe.
  • The draft was ... fine.  I would have preferred they swung a bit harder in the first round given what was available, and there are a few flags given the priority they gave to size, but overall I thought they each pick was defensible.  
  • I haven't loved the summer so far.  The Toffoli trade was just okay.  I don't like the extension for Sharangovich at all.  Most of all its the lack of movement.  I get that the Lindholm decision makes things harder and that he is holding out for a great return on Hanafin.  But its feeling a bit like he is waiting too long and teams are moving on.  Vladar at a minimum should have been traded if for a poor return.  I might be proven wrong and he gets a big return on some guys.  But its getting late in the day.  At this point we may end up into the season with these guys on our roster. 
  • Conroy talks too much.  He is more rooted, but he still reminds me of Feaster.  For example, he made a big deal about not wanting to lose assets for nothing, alluding to the 1-year contracts.  Now if he can't move these guys we have a big distraction come camp.  

The poor start hasn't improved my opinions of the GM so far. 

• At this point the Huska hire is terrible.  The team never looked this bad under Sutter.  Keeping Sigalet is still confounding.  Both goalies look meh at best.  
  • The Toffoli trade has backfired.  The Flames lacked scoring before the trade, particularly at RW.  Sharongovich hasn't looked good outside of the fourth line. 
  • The decision to not deal with the pending free agents during the summer looks particularly dire now.  The Flames are in a position of weakness and are going to really struggle trading these guys during the season.  Especially if they want to do it early season, and especially if they are insistent in trading for established talent.  
  • Not trading Vladar when they had offers is a predictable whiff.  The idea that they could somehow fit starts in for Wolf when they struggle to get starts for the back-up was silly.  

From the sounds of it, the Flames want to retool the roster to try and find chemistry with the contracts they can't move (Kadri, Huberdeau).  I understand the direction, even if I don't agree with it.  But at this point I don't trust Conroy in making it happen.  Hopefully he makes a couple of solid moves to give us fans something to get excited about.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kehatch said:

• At this point the Huska hire is terrible.  The team never looked this bad under Sutter.  Keeping Sigalet is still confounding.  Both goalies look meh at best.  
  • The Toffoli trade has backfired.  The Flames lacked scoring before the trade, particularly at RW.  Sharongovich hasn't looked good outside of the fourth line. 
  • The decision to not deal with the pending free agents during the summer looks particularly dire now.  The Flames are in a position of weakness and are going to really struggle trading these guys during the season.  Especially if they want to do it early season, and especially if they are insistent in trading for established talent.  
  • Not trading Vladar when they had offers is a predictable whiff.  The idea that they could somehow fit starts in for Wolf when they struggle to get starts for the back-up was silly.  

From the sounds of it, the Flames want to retool the roster to try and find chemistry with the contracts they can't move (Kadri, Huberdeau).  I understand the direction, even if I don't agree with it.  But at this point I don't trust Conroy in making it happen.  Hopefully he makes a couple of solid moves to give us fans something to get excited about.  

I think my last response to you on this was "It's July".   sounded good at the time.

"It's mid-season" doesn't sound as great.

I don't mind all of the above, if it can be explained by Conroy master-minding a stealth rebuild.  And, if the case, man oh man did he nail it lol.

Except.

The drafting was not fantastic.   So....  I am very on the fence here, even from the rebuild camp.

7 minutes ago, kehatch said:

• Not sure what else was available for a low budget.  Sure Mitch Love was the fan fave, but can you honestly say he'd do better.  Wranglers haven't really slowed down despite losing their best skater and what impact he's had on Washington.
  • The Toffoli trade hasn't backfired, he is still unsigned and nobody wanted him signed for the 6+ that he was wanting, we traded him to play with Jack Hughes of course it was gonna work out for him.  Don't think for a second that Conroy had 20 better offers and just said "Nope Sharangovich is our guy", the third was probably the key to that trade despite what people want to believe, teams weren't throwing away firsts at the draft.  I feel very strongly that in 5 years this won't even be in the top 5 for worst trades of the 2023 offseason.
  • Trade market sucked, plain and simple.
  • What were these offers?  

The direction of the team was obvious to see if last year was a one off, and IMO the onus was on the players who didn't live up to their expectations in the previous season to turn it around and so far they haven't.  Where we go from here is where he can start being judged, but at the same time if a sell off is in the works we need to realize that it's very hard replacing top guys with late 1sts and 2nds, without falling to the basement it is extremely hard to find the talent this team needs outside of the top 2, and I say that because we are staring at a 3rd in Huberdeau and 2 5ths in Lindholm and Hanifin who we all know aren't "the guys", but can still find plenty of worse players drafted in those slots in other years.  

1 hour ago, sak22 said:
  • Sure Mitch Love was the fan fave, but can you honestly say he'd do better.  

Trues enough.  Sutter, one of the best coaches in NHL history, was only able to squeeze what he could out of this group.  What were we expecting out of a rookie head coach?  Huska is in over his head and Mitch Love probably wouldn't have done any better

This roster simply isn't good enough.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Conroy’s first trade is looking pretty good.

Sharangovich is a guy they can commit to

long term. If not, that’s a pretty nice asset to move in the next year or so.

There was a fair bit of negative reaction to it, which should hopefully give people some pause on future deals. Let things progress before passing judgment and hyperbolizing the actual value of players/contract status.

Toffoli is a finished product. I liked Sharky's one-timer last night. He's still progressing to find those areas and improve his reads. I expect the same from Zary, Pospisil and all younger players. The TOI doesn't really matter vs the learning curve of translating your strong suits and how to apply them.

One thing I dislike is punishing mistakes, rather than correcting them. e.g. Solovyov is sitting a lot while 3 other replacement Dmen shouldn't be full-timers.

Anyone following Kuznetsov much? Need to find some better answers at 5 through 7 without Tanev. Not just Solovyov.

• Like 1

There was a fair bit of negative reaction to it, which should hopefully give people some pause on future deals. Let things progress before passing judgment and hyperbolizing the actual value of players/contract status.

Toffoli is a finished product. I liked Sharky's one-timer last night. He's still progressing to find those areas and improve his reads. I expect the same from Zary, Pospisil and all younger players. The TOI doesn't really matter vs the learning curve of translating your strong suits and how to apply them.

One thing I dislike is punishing mistakes, rather than correcting them. e.g. Solovyov is sitting a lot while 3 other replacement Dmen shouldn't be full-timers.

Anyone following Kuznetsov much? Need to find some better answers at 5 through 7 without Tanev. Not just Solovyov.

I agree. I think punishing takes away from instincts. What I mean is that when you punish players for mistakes, they may start playing more guarded and tighten up the parts of their game that got them there, or they worry about mistakes too much and can't actually do the things that they're good at because they're playing tentative hockey and second guessing. Once players start second guessing, they've taken all of their natural hockey IQ out of the equation and that is it.

• Like 1

Zary had a bit of a wakeup call, but it wasn't so much punishment.  I thought the negative treatment of Ruzicka a bit harsh, and he hasn't fully recovered the trust.  He's playing well on the 4th line, so I hope they at least give him Pelletier.  It's a tough call.  Pospisil would also give him a decent linemate. 

Zary looks like he's 100% NHL.  No need to drop him down again.

Pospisil also looks like Hathaway did when he made the jump.

Need depth guys that can play up and down the lineup.

Solo was given the harsh treatment and it was not for anything worse than the rest.

First to go down.

Not much they can do about Wolf other than actually play him more than once or twice.

Markstrom back so tough call.

I think Connie has to be realistic and look for longer term replacements on D.

Doesn't matter if Kylington is coming back, we have holes that may need filling.

Tanev is more likely than not to miss time.

Hanifin should be considered to be gone by TDL.

And it's almost like we should do it even if he wants to stay.

I get the sense sometimes he's part of the culture problem. 

• 1 month later...