GM Craig Conroy

Thebrewcrew

7 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

https://x.com/nhlflames/status/1700208018548543734?s=46&t=vx_PcoBYl_X4M1EgH5nQdg

Loubardias hired by the Flames to do

some scouting.

Also hired former Oiler, Denis Grebeshkov. He’s done some coaching in Russia. Will help cover that area most of the globe most likely.

Have you sent in your resume too?  Might be worth a try.

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

My problem with Loubo is he LOVES every player. Can you actually get a read on them if he's biased toward positivity? He does watch a lot of hockey.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I have watched Loubo doing non-NHL games and he seems to have good insights about players.

He's going to be looking at reserve list players, so not really non-Flames.

Keep track on how they look.

It's a good thing.

No idea why I remember this, but at some point while AGM, Conroy was on 960. It was during the summer so Lou was hosting with someone else at the station. Conroy said something to the effect of "Lou I've told you so many times you'd be an awesome scout". So in that case it's not a surprise he got the job.

I know a couple WHL scouts. They've told me that on their own teams they've got guys that do it for the love of the game and they've also got guys that do it for the "jacket". The whole ego thing where you show up at an arena with a clipboard and the Under Armour jacket. Lou absolutely loves it and will put the work in. This is a guy that would be watching a Junior B game on a snowy November day if the Flames weren't playing. It's nice to see.

Regarding positivity, I'm willing to give him a break. When he's essentially employed by the Flames as the radio colour guy, he can't trash the Flames, even if he wants to. He was actually pretty critical of Gaudreau throughout the years.

Completely glossed over the Brad Richardson hire as well. Good to see him get his foot in the door, post-playing career.

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

My problem with Loubo is he LOVES every player. Can you actually get a read on them if he's biased toward positivity? He does watch a lot of hockey.

I think he sees everything that happens on the ice.  But I think he generally just says lots of positive stuff about players because that's what he sees.  He would also be quick to point out the areas needing work.

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think he sees everything that happens on the ice.  But I think he generally just says lots of positive stuff about players because that's what he sees.  He would also be quick to point out the areas needing work.

We have all listened to him for yrs I myself have always enjoyed his take on the kids saying that I think he is perfect on drafting. Once he is in the thick and has to make a decision on who we should take the positivity will go out the door and the seriousness will take over and we will get the best player possible

I don't find Loubardias' positivity from when he working the Flames broadcasts to be an issue, I would actually think anyone who considers him a top 20 homer of all league announcers to be out of there mind, but its the nature of the business that they can't be as harsh of critics as we like, a Baltimore Orioles announcer was suspended recently for bringing up that the team had a poor record vs. the Tampa Bay Rays over the past few years, not news that would've surprised the viewers given Baltimore spent years in the basement and Tampa is a perennial playoff team.  I think where Loubardias positivity may be a problem is that he comes off as loving every player who did well in junior or played world juniors or other junior tournaments, can he separate the guys who shined in those leagues but might not be NHL material.

• 4 weeks later...

Honzek unremarkable in preseason, then injured.

Pellika (the obvious consensus pick for us at the draft) absolutely on fire in the SHL.

Sure, technically it means nothing.  but, it's enough for me to take back all the positive things I said about Conroy.   IMHO gambling on nepotism in the first round is an unforgiveable offense.    I'm not saying Conroy did.  But I think we'll know by the end of the year.    If that's what happened it simply won't do.  

Unless he actually learned from it and never ever ever ever let it happen again.   But even then, pretty big hit.   Like, in a draft that strong I'd say it pushes a cup win out by 1 year, or extends a rebuild by one year, on average.

I know it's too early to make conclusions.   banking on being wrong here

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Pellika (the obvious consensus pick for us at the draft) absolutely on fire in the SHL.

Sure, technically it means nothing.  but, it's enough for me to take back all the positive things I said about Conroy.   IMHO gambling on nepotism in the first round is an unforgiveable offense.    I'm not saying Conroy did.  But I think we'll know by the end of the year.    If that's what happened it simply won't do.  

Unless he actually learned from it and never ever ever ever let it happen again.   But even then, pretty big hit.   Like, in a draft that strong I'd say it pushes a cup win out by 1 year, or extends a rebuild by one year, on average.

Dude. It's been 3 months. On the patience scale of 1-10, we're trying to pull you in to conform to that scale's boundaries.lol

14 hours ago, jjgallow said:

You must be rich.

Come on dude, there was not a consensus pick in the teens.  Lots of many different opinions, which is by definition not consensus.  As soon as we draft a D in the first round, the fans complain about lack of forward prospects.  We had one pick in the 1st.  Blame the team for not being bad enough to finish 20th or worse.

15 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Hindsight,  such a wonderful tool to be always prove your personal narrative correct.

BTW there was no consensus pick at 16.  We did not go off book.   He just might not have been your first choice.

Injuries happen.  You cannot predict when or who they happen too.  Could have gone back to Giants and be boarded first game and out for the season.  

8.5x7 for Scheifele in Winnipeg.

Takes him from age 31-38.

Might be a comp for Lindholm.

In that case though, Lindholm will still only be 29 when his next deal starts. Almost two years younger than Scheifele. Likely meaning Lindholm will get the 8th year.

On another note, for those that don't like the Markstrom deal. Look at what they gave Hellebuyck. Same deal as Scheifele. They are paying the most overworked goalie in the league until he is 38. 

I do understand it though, he's their Kipper.

The league has already confirmed with the teams the cap is going up as much as 5 million next season. John Bean said the other day that technically speaking the league revenues would support a 100million cap. 

your going to see some big and wild contracts in the next few years. 

12 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Hindsight,  such a wonderful tool to be always prove your personal narrative correct.

Season hasn't even started yet, this makes no sense .

BTW there was no consensus pick at 16.  We did not go off book.   He just might not have been your first choice.

Yes, yes there was a consensus and he wasn't in the top 5 of that consensus at that pick.  I don't know why people are pretending there wasn't a consensus ranking when it's like 3 clicks away.  All drafts have consensus rankings.

Injuries happen.  You cannot predict when or who they happen too.  Could have gone back to Giants and be boarded first game and out for the season.  

Injuries happen too much to first round picks here, specially. 

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

You must be rich.

Come on dude, there was not a consensus pick in the teens.  Lots of many different opinions, which is by definition not consensus.  As soon as we draft a D in the first round, the fans complain about lack of forward prospects.  We had one pick in the 1st.  Blame the team for not being bad enough to finish 20th or worse.

Sir.  Yes of course there was a consensus pick for all of the first round.

Even if there wasn't,  there was for Pellika as most had him in top 12.   Simple as that man.

Let's stop pretending teams should pick players based on  not making fans mad because they are D lol.

Fans are dumb.  That's a bad, bad, bad strategy.   And yes I recognize there are some bright people here specifically but generally,  fans are dumb.  Basing picks off of them is a show stopper 

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Dude. It's been 3 months. On the patience scale of 1-10, we're trying to pull you in to conform to that scale's boundaries.lol

Well thank you because I'm already being accused of Hindsight lol.   People need to pick a lane.

I agree that it's very early and that's why I am calling it now because we already know it'll be Hindsight if I call it later.

Pellika was a top 10 pick for me and many others, even arguably consensus ranking.

Honzek had to show up big to convince me that wasn't a huge oversight.

He didn't. 

It was a huge overnight. 

I want good things for Honzek,  jist saying

13 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Well thank you because I'm already being accused of Hindsight lol.   People need to pick a lane.

I agree that it's very early and that's why I am calling it now because we already know it'll be Hindsight if I call it later.

Pellika was a top 10 pick for me and many others, even arguably consensus ranking.

Honzek had to show up big to convince me that wasn't a huge oversight.

He didn't. 

It was a huge overnight. 

I want good things for Honzek,  jist saying

it isn't hindsight when you said as much during the draft.

9 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Sir.  Yes of course there was a consensus pick for all of the first round.

Even if there wasn't,  there was for Pellika as most had him in top 12.   Simple as that man.

We must have a different definition of consensus.  It doesn't mean aggregrated or averaged.

But why say there was one then say if there wasn't?  Seriously.

We all get it.  Didn't draft your list of BPA.  I blame the GM knowing that a top player like ASP was going to be snapped up in the next pick and should have traded draft positions with DET for that.  Rookie GM makes those mistakes.  Perhaps poor internet signals didn't let Connie view the consensus rankings.

Anyway, a nothing camp for a 18 year old where he gets hurt is kinda meaningless.  Only concern I have is it delays his development by months.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We must have a different definition of consensus.  It doesn't mean aggregrated or averaged.

But why say there was one then say if there wasn't?  Seriously.

We all get it.  Didn't draft your list of BPA.  I blame the GM knowing that a top player like ASP was going to be snapped up in the next pick and should have traded draft positions with DET for that.  Rookie GM makes those mistakes.  Perhaps poor internet signals didn't let Connie view the consensus rankings.

Anyway, a nothing camp for a 18 year old where he gets hurt is kinda meaningless.  Only concern I have is it delays his development by months.

Look man we go through this every time.

Let's be real and stop with the pretending. 

You All hated the pick.

I saw the comments.

Pick any consensus definition you want, you all hated it, and no widely accepted scout or aggregator ranked Honzek above Pellika.  Most didn't even have them within 10 spots of each other.

This is pointless, it was a hail Mary and we all knew it.

From what we saw in preseason this hail Mary was a big miss.

I give it a year before expanding on that.  He could still surprise.  Although if he did, it would be the first time we ever saw a hail Mary surprise here.

41 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Look man we go through this every time.

Let's be real and stop with the pretending. 

You All hated the pick.

I saw the comments.

Pick any consensus definition you want, you all hated it, and no widely accepted scout or aggregator ranked Honzek above Pellika.  Most didn't even have them within 10 spots of each other.

This is pointless, it was a hail Mary and we all knew it.

From what we saw in preseason this hail Mary was a big miss.

I give it a year before expanding on that.  He could still surprise.  Although if he did, it would be the first time we ever saw a hail Mary surprise here.

Little bit of revisionist history for you?  You were up and down yourself about the pick, but suggested it wasn't off the boards.  Even posted this to suggest you were okay with it:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/prospect-of-interest-why-samuel-honzek-has-potential-to-be-a-steal-in-round-1/

You may have changed your initial opinion.  But very few were freaking out.  Some were gleeful that we chose size and skill.  Yeah a LHS, I get it.  Didn't pick the top ranked player by some or most draft lists.  Didn't pick a D man again in the first round.  But you righfully pointed out an injury season.  No slack from you now I guess.  Just continue to run him down.  Don't bother pumping him up next season though.  

Consensus is exactly what it means, so no point in inventing something.  If there had been one that all scouting services agreed to and came up with one list, I guarantee you that it wouldn't match the draft selections taken against those muthical consensus picks.  DET picked him with their 2nd pick after selecting a F.  VAN passed him over for a pick some had as late as 22.  A bunch of teams passed over him in front of us.  Had we had 2 picks, I would have gone for the BPA with pick 1 and whichever F was BPA with pick 2.  But we didn't.  We need F.  Desperately.  Yeah, we have needs down the road for D.  We also have several D prospects that could be stars.  Maybe should have picks Wallstedt over Coroanto.  

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We need F.  Desperately.  

Sorry to paraphrase. I am just tired of the whole philosophical debate, I prefer being honest.  Everyone hated the pick.  I defended the pick but with the caveat that he would show us something early.  He didn't.   Now I am not supporting the pick because Conroy most likely did not have better info.   

This.  "We need F desperately ".

My man.  We missed the playoffs last season because of goaltending and D.   It is worse now.  It was....horrendous in the preseason.

Goaltending and D is our most glaring weakness.  Right now.

Even if I was wrong about that,  and I'm not, Honzek could not possibly be in his prime soon enough to help us with current need.   He would need to come complete with a time machine.

We have current and future needs on D and G and they take a lot longer to develop.   Thus, they are the bottleneck.  The current, and future bottleneck.

Let us back off the personal attacks and arguing based on opinion. Being overly inflammatory is not helpful and that is going on a lot on here right now.

JJ, you would have preferred Pellika over Honzek, got it. Not going to argue for or against. Maybe there was something in the interview process that teams didn’t like with Pellika. Don’t forget that Kylington was rated top 10 as I recall in his draft year and we got him second round. Don’t know why multiple teams passed on him, but that is somewhat telling in itself. Maybe Pellika insinuated he would only come over for NHL, otherwise staying home, thus not team control of development. Who knows.

You can’t claim failure of Honzek due to injury. Need to wait until he is healthy and plays again to pass judgment.

We currently have 3 potential future D men in the A with Poirier, Solovyov and Kuznetsov. We don’t know any of their ceilings, but they are all trending towards the NHL.

At forward, beyond Coronato and Pelletier, we don’t really have any other top 6 F in the pipeline. (I don’t know much about Honzek so I won’t limit him and he is also part of the current discussion). Zary may eventually rise to top 6 but currently looks middle 6. Other possible middle 6 not currently on the team would be Kerins (maybe) and Ciona. The rest (Klapka, Stromgrem, Pospisil, Pettersen, Bell and Schwindt) are likely bottom 6 at best. 

This all ignores that only Tanev 33 and Osterle 31 on the D are on the wrong side of 30 right now.

With Wolf, we have a potential future starter in net, but we could use more in the pipeline.

So in truth, the Flames need more top end talent at every position in the pipeline, not just one position. However based on current team makeup, age by position and such, the Flames are more desperate for more high end Forwards over other positions (due to the need for more forwards in general). If both Lindholm and Hanifin walk after this season without being traded, then the formula only alters slightly age wise and positionally.

We will have to see how everything turns out, but at this time, claiming the Flames need more D over F in the pipeline is a choice rather than an absolute as they need all positions. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bosn111 said:

You can’t claim failure of Honzek due to injury. Need to wait until he is healthy and plays again to pass judgment.

If you are going to weigh in, I would appreciate it if you took the time to read.   Otherwise you're going to come across to at least me as extremely hypocritical with your paragraphs about being inflammatory. 

This was not due to his injury and if you had read first you would see I was becoming greatly concerned from the first day that Honzek hit the ice.   To the point that they probably should have cut him sooner.   Which, yes, would have prevented the injury. 

To write an entire page about how I snapped because of an injury is actually insulting because it shows you didn't take the time to read anything but instead just formed your opinion based on your preconceptions that I am an a-hole and thus giving all the cookie cutter bs everyone else gives.

11 hours ago, bosn111 said:

We will have to see how everything turns out, but at this time, claiming the Flames need more D over F in the pipeline is a choice rather than an absolute as they need all positions. 

Again you didn't read.

Yes.  We all know 6 players go on the ice.  I get that.

The defenceman require several extra years of development. 

Them and the goalies are the bottlenecks.   

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I had no problem with the Honzek pick. But I'm also not very high on Sandin-Pellikka. Both are a waays away so no point getting excited.

If you didn't have a problem with it then I am not sure why you wrote that you had a problem with it when it happened.

Either way, yes...Pellika Is a ways out because defenceman take longer to develop.  That's my point.