Flames 22/23 Lineup

travel_dude

58 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Almost like he needs to get back to Hanifin-Tanev and give Andersson Weegar.

Don't know really.

We had such stable D last year for most of the year.

Kylington MIA and Tanev injuries have certainly impacted the D.

go:

Hanifin, Tanev

Zadorov, Weegar

XXX, Andersson

they can run five throughout a game while sheltering the #6.

I dunno. It is too bad that none of the young guys have developed any. We could use some of them to step up. I dunno. I still think it's hard because they haven't drafted many D for a certain time period and it's coming back to haunt the depth. 

i see BT making a deal for a #6 LD. I don't know who is out there. We need a winger, but also need a LSD... funny how time has changed a lot. The D might actually be easier to get than the F. 

I think Kylington is being a little overrated here to begin with, but we would need to temper the expectations if he returns, its a lot of hockey missed so far and really I think only the elites can jump right in without the camp.  

The guy making his NHL debut was the 2nd oldest defenseman in the lineup last night, and really isn't that much younger than the oldest. It's kinda weird that the "depth" we are turning to (Mackey/DeSimone) are guys older than the 2 longest tenured regular guys on the team, but only have 14 combined NHL games.  Just overall weird that with Tanev out the most experienced in NHL games played is the youngest defenseman on the team, and that would include when Stone was in the lineup.  I would still say overall we are pretty inexperienced on the blueline especially with Tanev out.

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

when can they put some of these guys on LTIR? That would free up some space?

Kylington isn't hurt so he isn't eligible. Word was they appealed to the league to see if he was eligible or not but no word on what the league actually ruled. It would be an exception to put him on LTIR. 

In order to be eligible for LTIR you have to miss 10 games or 24 days. I think at this point it's either the Flames don't expect either Tanev or Stone to miss that much time, or they arn't quite sure and don't want to deal with the headache that is LTIR if they are not sure. 

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

when can they put some of these guys on LTIR? That would free up some space?

Don't think Kylington qualifies, Tanev is probably closer to returning and Stone going on LTIR doesn't do much since he's at league minimum.

When Huberdeau connected with Backlund for that goal against the Isles, it's got me thinking... Sam Bennett is basically Backlund 2.0.  If Huberdeau-Bennett worked so well for Huberdeau, then maybe Backlund is the perfect Center for Huberdeau?

They just need a Duclair on RW and I think that player is Dube.

Huberdeau - Backlund - Dube

Play them like the second line same as in FLA... first line will be Mangiapane - Kadri - Lindholm

33 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

When Huberdeau connected with Backlund for that goal against the Isles, it's got me thinking... Sam Bennett is basically Backlund 2.0.  If Huberdeau-Bennett worked so well for Huberdeau, then maybe Backlund is the perfect Center for Huberdeau?

They just need a Duclair on RW and I think that player is Dube.

Huberdeau - Backlund - Dube

Play them like the second line same as in FLA... first line will be Mangiapane - Kadri - Lindholm

Not the worst suggestion I have heard.

But I would counter than Kadri with Huberdeau also is a good setup.

More offense, less defensive first.

The problem is that Hubey and Mange didn't mesh or didn't have time to mesh.

Maybe all it takes is Hubey-Kadri-Toffoli.

That leaves Mange-Lindholm-Dube.

Not sure if that part works.

What I see is thnigs starting to come together. Leave the lines alone for now. Both Huberdeau and Weegar looked better last night. Its nice to get confirmation from the coach on the eye test when you watch this club play. Anyone how thinks Sutter is being harass he isn't. This club has not played well and needs to play 60 minutes, we don't have 1 or 2 guys that can take over a game like most clubs.  The fancy stats that Cross shared showed how bad Anderson has been this year. Its funny what a year does as everyones favourite targets were  Big Z and Stone, now everyone is hoping Stone gets back in, Big Z has been one of the bright spots on the back end. Puck management has been a huge issue for this club this season. The missed nets the high risk pass from behind the net which creates a odd man rush everytime. In order for us to be effective we can not get below the puck EVER.  The first goal last night was great Hubie took two players Backs all alone. Second goal high tip from lindholm thrid blown coverage on Backs in the slot again. Right now these are the goals we need to win, nothing pretty no 3 way passing plays just captilize on the turnovers tips, and wait for breakdowns thats how they have to win. We are not going to be a highlight reel club like last year we just don't have those ponies. The minute these guys accept that the quicker you will see this club be what it is suppose to be.  

35 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

What I see is thnigs starting to come together. Leave the lines alone for now. Both Huberdeau and Weegar looked better last night. Its nice to get confirmation from the coach on the eye test when you watch this club play. Anyone how thinks Sutter is being harass he isn't. This club has not played well and needs to play 60 minutes, we don't have 1 or 2 guys that can take over a game like most clubs.  The fancy stats that Cross shared showed how bad Anderson has been this year. Its funny what a year does as everyones favourite targets were  Big Z and Stone, now everyone is hoping Stone gets back in, Big Z has been one of the bright spots on the back end. Puck management has been a huge issue for this club this season. The missed nets the high risk pass from behind the net which creates a odd man rush everytime. In order for us to be effective we can not get below the puck EVER.  The first goal last night was great Hubie took two players Backs all alone. Second goal high tip from lindholm thrid blown coverage on Backs in the slot again. Right now these are the goals we need to win, nothing pretty no 3 way passing plays just captilize on the turnovers tips, and wait for breakdowns thats how they have to win. We are not going to be a highlight reel club like last year we just don't have those ponies. The minute these guys accept that the quicker you will see this club be what it is suppose to be.  

The problems show up more when they don't have the puck.

Less overpassing, but still a tendency to pass away from the direct shot to a wing.

The soft entries drive me crazy.

Reminds me of the bad part of Johnny's game last year.

Some of the goals were a delayed result from a blown O-zone chance.

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Kylington isn't hurt so he isn't eligible. Word was they appealed to the league to see if he was eligible or not but no word on what the league actually ruled. It would be an exception to put him on LTIR. 

In order to be eligible for LTIR you have to miss 10 games or 24 days. I think at this point it's either the Flames don't expect either Tanev or Stone to miss that much time, or they arn't quite sure and don't want to deal with the headache that is LTIR if they are not sure. 

i wonder what it could be. A mental health leave should be considered LTIR if that is the case. And even if it is a family oriented leave, the worry alone is sometimes heavy enough to warrant a mental health leave. 

of course we are all speculating, but it does sound very much like a mental health leave due to comments like, "it's not alcohol or drug related, and out of respect for the player..." 

My nephew just had a double lung transplant and leading up to the surgery my sister has been a wreck thinking he was going to die. There's no way she could perform her duties at work due to the worry. 

on top of that, if it is depression, suicide thoughts, other things like that, or 

could it be internal health like an auto-immune disease... 

either way, I think something like these can be LTIR relatable. 

17 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i wonder what it could be. A mental health leave should be considered LTIR if that is the case. And even if it is a family oriented leave, the worry alone is sometimes heavy enough to warrant a mental health leave. 

of course we are all speculating, but it does sound very much like a mental health leave due to comments like, "it's not alcohol or drug related, and out of respect for the player..." 

My nephew just had a double lung transplant and leading up to the surgery my sister has been a wreck thinking he was going to die. There's no way she could perform her duties at work due to the worry. 

on top of that, if it is depression, suicide thoughts, other things like that, or 

could it be internal health like an auto-immune disease... 

either way, I think something like these can be LTIR relatable. 

It is possible that they did approve, I just don't know either way. 

LTIR isn't as easy or as beneficial as it gets made out to be. It's not uncommon, and in fact its actually better, for teams to avoid using it until they absolutely have to and the Flames are not in a position where they have to use it yet. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It is possible that they did approve, I just don't know either way. 

LTIR isn't as easy or as beneficial as it gets made out to be. It's not uncommon, and in fact its actually better, for teams to avoid using it until they absolutely have to and the Flames are not in a position where they have to use it yet. 

it almost sounded like it was approved. BT said at the beginning of the year that they wanted to get as close to the cap as possible to utilize the benefits of being that close. Maybe he is waiting for the time to use it to max benefits? Really is a game of chess with that cap.

24 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

it almost sounded like it was approved. BT said at the beginning of the year that they wanted to get as close to the cap as possible to utilize the benefits of being that close. Maybe he is waiting for the time to use it to max benefits? Really is a game of chess with that cap.

Depends when he said it I guess.

I would think cap space is like gold, the longer you have it the better.

In the case of the right now, the only benefit of Kylington going on LTIR would be being allowed to bring in Meloche and DeSimone.  But honestly, I didn't see enough from Meloche to say he's an upgrade.

The Flames obviously believe that Kylington will be back before we hit 20 games.

At least in my opinion.  Not that it matters, but they seem to be holding out making any trades right now.

I think we have seen that we really don't have depth past the 7th guy (with Kylington available).

That only leaves forwards, picks and prospects available to trade.

So that's not happening, nor do we have the cap to do it.

Would a trade of Kylington be the best thing?

Stone being the replacement 6D.

Not the worst thing in the world, but we lack depth that really could step in then.

Kinda like where we are today.

If Huberdeau is out for a few games, I wonder if they recall Phillips. they would have to send down Gilbert or DeSimone to make the cap work. I think recalling Zohorna is more likely as Sutter will want size and he is off to a good start with the Wranglers as well.

It really should be Phillips. Flames are probably looking at losing him as a UFA this offseason so I'd at least dangle the carrot at some point to see what you have or give him a reason to consider staying. 

I agree, I thought he had a good camp too. Part of it might depend on what role Sutter feels he needs filled in the lineup, and whether he thinks Phillips can help enough defensively. 

I find it encouraging he was on the ice but I would suspect Huberdeau is going to miss this game. 

Some small lineup changes. Looks like Vladar in net

I think there are actually a couple of issues with Huberdeau right now.

Foot was swollen, possibly from a shot block or sprain.

Was uncomfortable looking with one of his arms after a play on the boards.

I don't think he plays until after a full practice.

Vladar in the starter net.

There hasn't been mention yet of Tanev.

I think the Flames record kinda lands right where it should be. They've played a lot of close games, eight decided by 1 goal. When the team defence in goaltending isn't completely dialled in, the Flames are more likely to lose the one goal games than they were a year ago. It's the way that the Flames have landed on the 5-5-2 record that has the fan base frustrated. 

The Flames aren't as good as their record through the first six where they went 5-1. They also aren't as bad as there last six where they've went 0-4-2. The truth is somewhere in the middle. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think the Flames record kinda lands right where it should be. They've played a lot of close games, eight decided by 1 goal. When the team defence in goaltending isn't completely dialled in, the Flames are more likely to lose the one goal games than they were a year ago. It's the way that the Flames have landed on the 5-5-2 record that has the fan base frustrated. 

The Flames aren't as good as their record through the first six where they went 5-1. They also aren't as bad as there last six where they've went 0-4-2. The truth is somewhere in the middle. 

Sutter mentioned two things.

SA% and SH%.

You need one or both.

Tons of game where we outshot the other team and some we had 40 shots.

SH% isn't good enough.

In those close ones we aren't getting over 900 SA%.

Stop 1 goal and score 1 goal in the losses and we have a top record.

Very small diference.

Missing three D and our top LW doesn't help but nether is really the cause.

Can't have Mange and Dube missing chances to bury it.

There wasn't much Vladar could do better in this one, so it came to scoring.

Probably the first game we were over 900.

What we have is a system that will win its just getting it to gel. Goaltending has been poor when the offense is there and vise versa. The injuries are not helping matters either. Not that he is going to inject instantly anyway, WTH is up with Kylington, either IR him or suspend him that situation is not helping anything either. I agree Toffoli looks better this year but last night wide open net and you miss it by 3 feet the other way, unacceptaable, same with Mags.. Dube and toffoli break to the net ineffective plus 5 power plays NOTHING on the score sheet. The past 4 games could have been points if guys could finish. The only thing in there control is tighten up the turnovers and D coverage, and score some goals. IF we get better coverage than its less pressure on the tender. I don't always agree with some of Sutters decisions but his overall anaylsis of the game is 100% accurate. We have to play this style to be affective, we don't have any elite players that is not a slight against the players we have. This club has had a lot of movement on the roster as well, player injuries or  coming in from loose system as well as players that have never played in the NHL at age of 26-27. The one thing this will test is the mental toughness of the roster through this skid.

Why I would run with these lines!!!

Ruzicka-Lindholm-Toffoli

Ruzi has added jump and forced Lind and Toff to up their game

Dube-Kadri-Mangiapane

This line had great chemistry why break it up??
Huberdeau-Backlund-Coleman

Backs has proven to be our best player at entering the O zone and Coleman the dog on a bone. Hubs could benefit from Not having a do-it-all role.
Lucic/Lewis-Rooney-Ritchie/Lewis

It is what it is