Flames 22/23 Lineup

travel_dude

I'm going back to my initial thought when we got Huberdeau:

Hube-Lindholm-Dube

Dube's the hardest worker most nights, he can carry the puck, can forecheck hard and is smart enough to figure it out.

But JTech's right. We need to stabilize the back end. It's been a gong show on occasion and playing high risk at the O Blueline with no one back to cover.

Cut the gambling out.

On 11/3/2022 at 2:45 PM, conundrumed said:

I'm going back to my initial thought when we got Huberdeau:

Hube-Lindholm-Dube

Dube's the hardest worker most nights, he can carry the puck, can forecheck hard and is smart enough to figure it out.

But JTech's right. We need to stabilize the back end. It's been a gong show on occasion and playing high risk at the O Blueline with no one back to cover.

Cut the gambling out.

I’m thinking of setting up Manji first, slot him and Backlund back together and whoever they had on the RW…Coleman? 

Build the 2nd line that was quite good last year…

maybe then try Huby/Kadri/Lindholm 

3rd line of Dube/Ruzicka/Toffoil could be interesting and may get overlooked, could be a dangerous setup 

• Like 1

Not sure why we're stuck on the idea Huberdeau needs the best RW money can buy when he had Duclair and Tippet.

Dube's strong side is RW, Mangia's is LW. Just do it that way.

Hubie the Mangia 1-2 at LW. Dube and Toffoli 1-2 at RW. Or just go back to original lines. Lucic isn't a top 6 and it has screwed every line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Not sure why we're stuck on the idea Huberdeau needs the best RW money can buy when he had Duclair and Tippet.

Hubie the Mangia 1-2 at LW. Dube and Toffoli 1-2 at RW. Or just go back to original lines. Lucic isn't a top 6 and it has screwed every line.

Agreed with Hubie making lesser players looked good. What about lines like this?

Hubie - Kadri - Ruzie

Kadri is the play driver the other two need, Ruzie (to me) is a defensively responsible player who usually is third man into the zone, which would be a good Left Hand Shot for Hubie to find coming in late.

Dube - Lindy - Toff

Lindy and Toffey have shown some good chemistry and Dube could be the energizer bunny they need every shift to keep them engaged and going. If they can establish a cycle and Dube and Toff can switch sides in the O Zone, they have a better chance shooting from a strong side.

Mang - Backs - Coles

This is a solidifying line to go back to the well and continue to be one of the best defensive forward units in the league who can produce on a nightly basis. And I think Coleman needs someone like Mang to get away from his dump and chase game and back to more of a possession game.

Looch - Rooney - Ritchie

Leave this 4th line to continue to dominate the way they were early.

D Pairs

Hanni - Andy (great pair leave it as is)

Big Z - Weegar (to me they have looked their best together)

Stone/Mackey - Tanev (struggling with this 3rd pair) who knew we would miss Kyl as much as we are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

By the looks of it, the Flames are going back to the 5-1-0 lines.

Unfortunately, Lewis is on the 2nd line, but whatever.

Would prefer Ruzie with Backlund, but Sutter wasn't happy with a 4th line that had 2 scored on it.

Is that on Ruzie?  Not really, as he put two RHS on the wings.

They lacked a lot of chemistry.

But anyway, back to the original.

It's been a disappointing week from the Flames for sure. It always sucks losing to the Oilers, but they're a good team. The bigger issue is what happened in the SEA and NSH game. 

The Flames didn't play particularly well against the Kraken, but they still had a 2 goal lead in the 3rd. Those are games you have to win. Not to mention SEA started their 4th goalie on the depth chart.

On Thursday, they hosted a struggling NSH with their backup in net and they just weren't ready.

That being said, the Flames have only played 9 games, fewest in the league. We said it all offseason, it's going to take time for this team to click, given all the change. The Flames also had the 2nd best regular season in franchise history last year, which essentially guarantees this years regular season will be a "let-down" in terms of wins and points. The big focus needs to be making a playoff team.

It won't be long until Huberdeau/Lindholm/Mang get going. It's just been a bit of a slow start

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It won't be long until Huberdeau/Lindholm/Mang get going. It's just been a bit of a slow start

Well, that may need to wait.

We are back to Hubey-Lindy-Toffee tonight.

The results were better rom the first 6 games, but the problems were there.

It's (to me), a bit of mixup from the D to the F.

It's mine, you take it.

Have not seen the best out of Hanifin and Ras.

And we were missing Tanev from the last game.

Mackey did nothing to show he is a regular.

If we ever get back Kylington, it will be an interesting problem.

While his overall play sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, he's a plus.

Need another guy to make good of escapes.

48 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well, that may need to wait.

We are back to Hubey-Lindy-Toffee tonight.

The results were better rom the first 6 games, but the problems were there.

It's (to me), a bit of mixup from the D to the F.

It's mine, you take it.

Have not seen the best out of Hanifin and Ras.

And we were missing Tanev from the last game.

Mackey did nothing to show he is a regular.

If we ever get back Kylington, it will be an interesting problem.

While his overall play sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, he's a plus.

Need another guy to make good of escapes.

It was a list of three key forwards that aren't playing their best more than them as a line. 

24 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It was a list of three key forwards that aren't playing their best more than them as a line. 

Ah, I see what you did there.

Yes, Mange has looked good at times, but not to his usual level.

I wonder if Dube playing with him takes something away.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Ah, I see what you did there.

Yes, Mange has looked good at times, but not to his usual level.

I wonder if Dube playing with him takes something away.

I really think Mangiapane is the type to make plays on his own. While it is a good quality I find he tend to (from my eye view) clash in some ways. I find Dube plays the same way. Maybe  it's why he worked with Backlund so well? Maybe he could be a fit with Lindholm since he plays as a 2-way C more than a playmaker? 

38 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

On IR now. DeSimone and Gilbert called up.  Havent heard anything about Tanev tho.

I was a little surprised with Gilbert, DeSimone has probably earned the call up over Meloche at this point, but makes sense to bring an extra body for a short trip out east while the Wranglers stay home.

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I was a little surprised with Gilbert, DeSimone has probably earned the call up over Meloche at this point, but makes sense to bring an extra body for a short trip out east while the Wranglers stay home.

That and I don't think the coach is particularly thrilled with Mackey right now. Wouldn't surprise me if Gilbert plays tomorrow. 

Ten games in. The Flames blueline depth is being tested. They just recalled their 9th and 10th D on the depth chart.

Most teams will feel the effects of being down to their 9th and 10th D.

DeSimone at age 27 has never played an NHL game.

Gilbert last played in the NHL during the 56 game season.

5 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Ten games in. The Flames blueline depth is being tested. They just recalled their 9th and 10th D on the depth chart.

Most teams will feel the effects of being down to their 9th and 10th D.

DeSimone at age 27 has never played an NHL game.

Gilbert last played in the NHL during the 56 game season.

Generally the Flames have been very lucky for avoiding the injury bug. This will give everyone a real look at the depth.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how the defense lines up at the morning skate today.

At this point I would keep the lines the same at forward. It is pretty clear that they just need time to gel. Too many missed assignments leading to top notch opportunities. The offense has been fine to start the season, I would like to see more finish from the top line but it will come. Let’s figure out our own end and that will lead to more chances.

• Like 1

I've been curious about this in the light of Huberdeau's slow start so wanted to see what Johnny did when Sutter took over. These are 5 on 5 numbers used over 60 mins. 

Gaudreau

IxG/60 0.5  8.63ICF 6.82IFF 5.15 ISCF 1.67 IHDCF 0.28 rush attempts

XFG 2.47

XGA 2.13

Huberdeau

IxG/60 0.6 7.88 ICF  6.89IFF 4.42 ICF 1.97IHDCF 0.49 Rush Attempts 

XGF 2.79

XGA 2.56

A lot of similarities and Huberdeau doesn't have Tkachuk as Gaudreau did. Gaudreau's sample size is also around 30 games so this would account for preseason too. 

• Like 1

Flames are in a really tough spot with their D right now because on top of the injuries, Anderson and Hanifin have not played well. They were excellent to start the season but I think since the Oiler game they've fallen off hard. Makes it extra challenging for Sutter to manage the depth when the one pair he should be able to count on, isn't getting it done. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Sutter challenging the depth dmen on this team

Ripen says to me back to the AHL.

Not that we can do much right now, but Mackey needs to go to the AHL for a refresh.

We really need to get Tanev and Kylington back in the lineup.

Stone is some unknown injury, but I suspect it may be groin.

No word on Kylington, and they are being very supportive by not suspending or even talking about it.

They can't use Meloche due to the cap right now.

Couldn't even claim a waiver player unless they sent both AHL guys down.

So, here we are.

2 top 4 D out.

A 7th D who played every game out.

Hole on the 3rd line with the play killer (Lewis).

I suppose I should give Lewis some slack.

He isn't the biggest problem.

Not sure what he adds to Backlund and Coleman.

I miss the good things he does and only ever see the missed chances and miscues.

Perhaps Rooney might be a better choice for Backlund's line for now.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Flames are in a really tough spot with their D right now because on top of the injuries, Anderson and Hanifin have not played well. They were excellent to start the season but I think since the Oiler game they've fallen off hard. Makes it extra challenging for Sutter to manage the depth when the one pair he should be able to count on, isn't getting it done. 

Almost like he needs to get back to Hanifin-Tanev and give Andersson Weegar.

Don't know really.

We had such stable D last year for most of the year.

Kylington MIA and Tanev injuries have certainly impacted the D.

57 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Ripen says to me back to the AHL.

Not that we can do much right now, but Mackey needs to go to the AHL for a refresh.

We really need to get Tanev and Kylington back in the lineup.

Stone is some unknown injury, but I suspect it may be groin.

No word on Kylington, and they are being very supportive by not suspending or even talking about it.

They can't use Meloche due to the cap right now.

Couldn't even claim a waiver player unless they sent both AHL guys down.

So, here we are.

2 top 4 D out.

A 7th D who played every game out.

Hole on the 3rd line with the play killer (Lewis).

I suppose I should give Lewis some slack.

He isn't the biggest problem.

Not sure what he adds to Backlund and Coleman.

I miss the good things he does and only ever see the missed chances and miscues.

Perhaps Rooney might be a better choice for Backlund's line for now.

when can they put some of these guys on LTIR? That would free up some space?