Flames 22/23 Lineup

travel_dude

Looking for suggestions for Flames best lineup.

The first game is against the Cup einner, so it has to be the best we can manage.

Me first:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Coleman-Kadri-Toffoli

Ruzicka-Backlund-Dube

Lucic-Rooney-Ritchie

Ex. Zohorna

Weegar-Tanev

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Mecoche

Ex. Stone, Kylington

Waived - Lewis, Mackey, Valimaki

If Kylington is back before game 1, then Meloche gets waived instead of Lewis, Stone is extra D.

Huberdeau-Kadri-Lindholm

Coleman-Backlund-Mangiapane

Dube-Ruzicka-Toffoli

Lucic-Rooney-Ritchie/Lewis

Ex. Zohorna

Weegar-Tanev

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Stone

Kylington

if Kylington is back

Hanifin-Andersson

Kylington-Tanev

Weegar-Zadorov

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redfire11 said:

Huberdeau-Kadri-Lindholm

Coleman-Backlund-Mangiapane

Dube-Ruzicka-Toffoli

Lucic-Rooney-Ritchie/Lewis

Ex. Zohorna

Weegar-Tanev

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Stone

Kylington

if Kylington is back

Hanifin-Andersson

Kylington-Tanev

Weegar-Zadorov

Pretty much.

RW is sorely lacking.  Lindholm is one of the best RWs in the game.  Problem solved.  Though Sutter likes his RHS faceoff guys... We need to get some RHS Centers in the forward group.  

Right now Toffoli and Lucic are the weakest links.  

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Pretty much.

RW is sorely lacking.  Lindholm is one of the best RWs in the game.  Problem solved.  Though Sutter likes his RHS faceoff guys... We need to get some RHS Centers in the forward group.  

Right now Toffoli and Lucic are the weakest links.  

Agreed…RW two top 6 are badly needed…

agree, Toffoil and Lucic are the weaker links, they are kinda square pegs in a round hole this year for Cgy…well Toffoil is..can’t help but feel on a different team he’d be much better 

Lucic is just aging out, great guy and all but far too expensive of a cap hit for what he brings 

What I think we start with is different from what I would do!!

To start I think we go

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Mangipane-Kadri-Dube

Rooney-Backlund-Coleman

Lucic-Lewis-Ruzicka

Ex - Zohorna

Ritchie - Waived

Weegar-Tanev

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Meloche

Ex Stone & Kylington

Valimaki waived.

I am happy with the defence but I would like to see them try (not going to happen!)

Huberdeau-Ruzicka-Lindholm

Mangipane-Kadri-Toffoli

Dube-Backlund-Coleman

Zohorna-Rooney-Lewis

Ex - Lucic

I think Huberdeau could have the same effect on Ruzicka that he had on Bennett.

• Like 1

I definitely do not follow he logic of weakening your center position (which is quite a bit more valuable especially in Sutter's system) in order to strengthen your RW. Not a lot of logic there for me. 

If I were the coach I would be trying:

Huberdeau - Kadri - Toffoli

Mang - Lindhom -Dube

Rooney - Backlund - Coleman

Lucic - Ruzicka - Lewis

Zahorna.

Waive Ritchie

Weegs - Tanev

Anderson - Hanifin

Valimaki - Zadorov

Mackey

Waive Meloche

I don't sign Stone

What I think they will do

Huberdeau - Lindholm- Toffoli

Mang - Kadri - Dube

Rooney - Backs - Coleman

Lucic - Lewis - Rooney

Ruzicka

Waive Zohorna

Weegs - Tanev

Anderson - Hanifin

Zadorov - Stone (signed)

Mackey

Waive Meloche and Valimaki

2nd team is quite a bit more cap friendly. 

Right now, this is my guess for Opening Night.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Mangiapane-Kadri-Dube

Rooney-Backlund-Coleman

Lucic-Ruzicka-Lewis

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Weegar

Mackey-Tanev

I'm less certain on what the pairings would look like. Could very well see a Weegar-Tanev pairing. 

Stone, Meloche, Ritchie as the extras. Depends on the Flames putting Kylington on LTIR.

Man Treliving did a lot of really good work this offseason, so I hate to nitpick, but Lewis starting the season on the 3rd line speaks to a lack of depth.

To be fair I think he was hoping for a young guy or Milano to step up and take the job, but nobody did.

We can talk about Sutter trusting vets and not putting young players in positions to succeed, but earning the time is part of how Sutter gets this team to play to a certain identity. That identity is what leads him to be a successful coach and it is what was lacking from this team for a lot of years. So maybe we give up some skill at the bottom of the lineup to have more work ethic, but that all goes with the identity of the team.

Hopefully Treliving can find a top 9 winger soon.

Its definitely not great but i'm not optimistic it will get fixed in the short term. I think part of the decision is what are you after. Are you content with just a 3rd line winger? middle 6? or do you need a top line/higher end player. A lot of that depends on how players fit. 

Once Stone is registered and Meloche (assuming he does) goes to the A they'll have 1.3 in cap space and perhaps as much as around 2 million to play. Pretty limiting in terms of what they could acquire. 

I think the Flames would be wiser to wait and see what they really need than rush to plug a hole. They don't have the assets to do both IMO. 

For me the best case scenario is for someone on the Wranglers to force his way up.  Now that the season is starting we can really throw out the hockey trades so the just trade Hanifin approach of the offseason is IMO out the window, so the only chips we have are the picks, and lets keep in mind we spent firsts, seconds and thirds last year on upgrading the top 9 and gained a rental that caused no shed tears when he left and the current whipping boy, so its always be careful what you wish for better on paper doesn't always translate.

At this point Lewis is a 13th forward and quite honestly anyone on the 4th line is better. I don’t mind Lewis as he helps set the tone for what Sutter wants, but he just isn’t that effective. 

So really if we can get a capable 3rd line option it would be an upgrade.

My only concerns in the top 6 are Dube and Toffoli. I think Dube is ready to break out, but till he does it he is a question mark. Can Toffoli find that chemistry on the top line?

6 minutes ago, sak22 said:

For me the best case scenario is for someone on the Wranglers to force his way up.  Now that the season is starting we can really throw out the hockey trades so the just trade Hanifin approach of the offseason is IMO out the window, so the only chips we have are the picks, and lets keep in mind we spent firsts, seconds and thirds last year on upgrading the top 9 and gained a rental that caused no shed tears when he left and the current whipping boy, so its always be careful what you wish for better on paper doesn't always translate.

Can we wait 15-20 games for some from the Wranglers to earn a call up?

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yes we can, 2019 we started 11-8-1 which is hardly a guaranteed playoff pace.  We added a lot of new faces already, that's going to take time adding one more isn't going to speed up the process unless were talking about Kucherov or someone of that ilk.

43 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If they can't I don't think the reason will be a lack of a top 9 winger. 

Like I said I get it it's far from ideal but it's also far from the worst thing imaginable too. We're talking about a player who needs to play around 8-10 EV minutes. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Meloche not skating today would indicate that he would go to the AHL if he goes through waivers (which I fully expect he will)

This is kind where I figured it would finalize. I like Lewis but agree he is not a 3rd line winger any more than Lucic should be a regular on the 4th line. Lewis didn't show bad in the final preseason game. We are short a top end RW we all knew this, but really who stood out to take the spot. Sutter was not wrong when he stated nobody grabbed the spot. Stone earned he was on the club but I think faster teams such as COL and EDM will eat him and Zadorov alive. The most pressure for guys on this club are Dube and Mags and Toffoli to produce. Tommorows game is a huge test for this club to guage where they are at. I am certianly not expecting the scoring we had, but do think we should be a club that doesn't allow much. The magic word of IF these gusy find an offensive boost while creating the defensive structure we are known for, we could all have a different season than we envisoined. 

It's only two games, but Kadri has been so impressive.

First time in ages that the Flames have had two top line quality centres. 

Gives the coaching staff so many options. Not to mention the top 3 centres on the club can be used in a shutdown role. 

I'm not loving the Lindholm line, but I'd be willing to give it 7-10 games of runway. We got spoiled by that top line last year, it will be almost impossible for this years top line to even approach those heights. 

The 2nd line has to stay together at this point, they are flat out dominating to start the season. Dube is playing with a ton of intensity and Kadri will show how to play like consistently.

Huberdeau thinks the game differently than most, so it will take some time for him and Lindholm and Toffoli to gel.

STONE

He needs to be a fixture on one of our PPs.

It makes no sense to me to keep a certified cannon like that holstered up (on the bench) when there’s an offensive opportunity on the ice. No one wants to get in front of that shot, and he’s scoring or at the very least hitting the net from double the distance away than what we’ve seen from the Brett Hulls and Alex Ovechkins and Nik Kucherovs. Stone is like a damn cheat code on the PP. 

Oh, and for good measure, he needs a goal song because I guarantee more goals if he’s on the PP. I propose this one. 

The top line was pretty bad last night and is for sure off to a rough start. It’s only 2 games so no reason to panic but some reason to be concerned. Hopefully they can get it sorted 

thankfully that 2nd like has been killer and honestly the 4th line has been real good too. 

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The top line was pretty bad last night and is for sure off to a rough start. It’s only 2 games so no reason to panic but some reason to be concerned. Hopefully they can get it sorted 

When your two top C's are both below 40% on faceoffs, you are setting yourself up.

The 2nd line seemed better at regaining the puck.

I liked some of the shifts from the top line, but I think they are missing something.

The skill is there, but they are just missing the mark a bit.

I found Sutter's comments funny.

He said the 2nd line wingers need to do a lot more.

I think their size limits them a bit.

Maybe it would be something to swap Mange and Toffoli for a game.

Each line still has a big winger, and even though Toffoli is just 6 feet, he's solid.

The other thing I cringe at is Lewis on the Backlund line.

For one game to start with, I would like to see the following:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Dube-Kadri-Toffoli

Ruzicka-Backlund-Coleman

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis/Ritchie

There are no lines with 2 smaller wingers or a small C.

See if it works.