Training Camp 2022

Thebrewcrew

21 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Hopefully this might mean Eakin and Milano are done.

Zohorna is an interesting pick up.    Backlund not in tonight so I think Ruzicka is placeholder.

4th line of Lewis Rooney Looch/Ritchie  I could live with.  

Carry Ruzicka / Ritchie as the extra Fwds.

3rd line of Zohorna Backlund Coleman.

One can never read too much into line assignments or who plays/doesn't play.

Zohorna is getting a look because he was claimed to be a roster player.

He might end up on waivers again, but PITTS would claim him, so he would go directly to the AHL.

TBH, the two worst performing players remaining in camp are Lucic and Lewis, but they don't need to be good, they are safe.  Milano and Eakin really didn't do enough to be offered a deal, but I am not the GM.  There could be discussions Sutter had with BT about those two.  But really, we don't have the roster spots available.  If they want to sign then immediately be waived?  Sure, why not.

3 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Hopefully this might mean Eakin and Milano are done.

Zohorna is an interesting pick up.    Backlund not in tonight so I think Ruzicka is placeholder.

4th line of Lewis Rooney Looch/Ritchie  I could live with.  

Carry Ruzicka / Ritchie as the extra Fwds.

3rd line of Zohorna Backlund Coleman.

Or maybe they sit Looch and Ritchie 

4th line of Zohorna/Ruzicka/Rooney?

that could be a really good 4th line? And having either Lucic or Ritchie as fill in is a safe backup plan…

kinda hoping the lines shake out like this:

Huby/Lindy/Toffoil 

Manji/Kadri/? Or Dube or Malano 

Coleman/Backlund/Dube or malano or ?

Zohorna/Ruzicka/Rooney

where as ? Is…maybe a trade and move Malano either by way of waivers or trade if the contract is a good value show me contract that way Dube can slot in the 3rd line RW and maybe we can get a good passing RW for the 2nd line?

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Or maybe they sit Looch and Ritchie 

4th line of Zohorna/Ruzicka/Rooney?

that could be a really good 4th line? And having either Lucic or Ritchie as fill in is a safe backup plan…

kinda hoping the lines shake out like this:

Huby/Lindy/Toffoil 

Manji/Kadri/? Or Dube or Malano 

Coleman/Backlund/Dube or malano or ?

Zohorna/Ruzicka/Rooney

where as ? Is…maybe a trade and move Malano either by way of waivers or trade if the contract is a good value show me contract that way Dube can slot in the 3rd line RW and maybe we can get a good passing RW for the 2nd line?

i hear Zahorna isn't very physical. Skates well. I don't know how Rooney is. Ruzicka didn't seem very physical either.

8 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yay 8pm EST start.

Vladar looking like a #1. 

Stone's Connor on a breakaway now. Damn. He's an absolute steal from the Bruins.

Right?! 

Star Wars Fire GIF by Disney+

Sure it’s preseason, but the body of work to date has me fantasizing about a Vladar / Wolf tandem in the future. No offense to Markstrom - we went from goalie being a position of weakness to a position of strength! Love it. 

32 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Right?! 

Star Wars Fire GIF by Disney+

Sure it’s preseason, but the body of work to date has me fantasizing about a Vladar / Wolf tandem in the future. No offense to Markstrom - we went from goalie being a position of weakness to a position of strength! Love it. 

His value is exploding is the fun part.

3 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

At 4-0 it is time to stop watching. Unlucky from Dube for 3-0, bad clear by Hanifin and poor coverage by Zadorov for 4-0.

It's just preseason, no big. Nobody get hurt is all that matters. No reason to try too hard. It's a glorified practice. Dube's pass was great. That was the only seam, a Flame on each side of it. It was kinda funny how that went. Dube with a giant eyeroll. 

That one was a stinker. The D pairings were garbage tonight lots of breakdowns. Goalies were hung out to dry. The new guy can skate had a couple oppurtunities, its early but he was more impactful than Milano or Eakins.  Have to give him a break flew all over the country to get off a plane and play a game, couldn't be easy. The top line looks like Satoshi Nakamoto, Toffoli gets the puck the play is dead.  Really liked the second line Dube was noticable but with the chances he gets has to bury those. For this club to get to where we need he is going to have to produce. All the D apirings were horrific.  I still like the thoughts of a Zoh- Ruzicka- Rooney line as a 4th line, sit Lucic and Lewis.   We still are missing a top 3 RW cause Toffoli isn't it. I would slid Mags in there and see what happens. My fear is Sutter hangs on to long trying to force Toffolii to fit on that line, there is nothing there. Possibly try mags on that line at least he can shoot and get open. Hell I would even try Hubie with someone like Kadri at C. Tonight was tough our strengths were major weaknesses, we most definelty are not going to out score the competion this season. Out side of our 2nd line everything else is up in the air. 

First star Vldar

Second  Wolf

Third the equipment guys 

• Like 1

In presser Sutter basically said he hated all the D pairings and fans agree. Like it or not, Anderfin works as a pairing and has history to support that. 

Zaddy works best with a solid shutdown D on third pair so either Meloche or Mackey. Tanev is good with pretty well anyone so no real worries there.

12 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

That one was a stinker. The D pairings were garbage tonight lots of breakdowns. Goalies were hung out to dry. The new guy can skate had a couple oppurtunities, its early but he was more impactful than Milano or Eakins.  Have to give him a break flew all over the country to get off a plane and play a game, couldn't be easy. The top line looks like Satoshi Nakamoto, Toffoli gets the puck the play is dead.  Really liked the second line Dube was noticable but with the chances he gets has to bury those. For this club to get to where we need he is going to have to produce. All the D apirings were horrific.  I still like the thoughts of a Zoh- Ruzicka- Rooney line as a 4th line, sit Lucic and Lewis.   We still are missing a top 3 RW cause Toffoli isn't it. I would slid Mags in there and see what happens. My fear is Sutter hangs on to long trying to force Toffolii to fit on that line, there is nothing there. Possibly try mags on that line at least he can shoot and get open. Hell I would even try Hubie with someone like Kadri at C. Tonight was tough our strengths were major weaknesses, we most definelty are not going to out score the competion this season. Out side of our 2nd line everything else is up in the air. 

First star Vldar

Second  Wolf

Third the equipment guys 

The thing with Toffoli is that Sutter knows he is a score every 4 games guy.  So, by that definition, he's not top 3.  Would like to see if there is any chemistry with Kadri before dropping him to the 3rd line.  He has defensive awareness, so 3rd line wouldn't be the worst thing.  Unfortunately, what does that leave?

Hubie-Lindholm-Mange

Coleman-Kadri-Dube

Rando-Backlund-Toffoli  (rando = unknown player)

or

Hubie-Lindholm-Mange

Coleman-Kadri-Toffoli

Rando-Backlund-Dube

Dube is putting himself in good positions, but you have to bury those shots.

5 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

In presser Sutter basically said he hated all the D pairings and fans agree. Like it or not, Anderfin works as a pairing and has history to support that. 

Zaddy works best with a solid shutdown D on third pair so either Meloche or Mackey. Tanev is good with pretty well anyone so no real worries there.

We really can't get a good read without Kylington, since he was key to a 2nd pairing last year.  Stone is a role player and not nearly as effective as Guddy was.  Hanifin and Kylington should really be the last choices for PK, along with Stone.

The pairings probably come down to the following two choices:

Weegar-Tanev

Hanifin-Andersson

Zaddy-Kylington

or

Kylington-Tanev

Hanifin-Andersson

Zaddy-Weegar

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

The top line looks like Satoshi Nakamoto, Toffoli gets the puck the play is dead.  

I didn't watch the game but I can just picture it already.

That said, I think we all need to check our expectations a little bit because let's be reminded that last season's top line was THE best and most productive line in the entire NHL.  On average, top lines aren't that.

55 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

That said, I think we all need to check our expectations a little bit because let's be reminded that last season's top line was THE best and most productive line in the entire NHL.  On average, top lines aren't that.

Yes but with a little work on personnel we could have the best line again..or maybe a better option is the best 1-2 line punch?

Move Toff for a better fit 1st line RW

move a D and find a better 2nd line RW that’s more of passer playmaker…

I get that it’s an assessment phase in pre-season but it’s awfully clear these are the 2 big issues that need to be addressed in order for the team to have a chance at building chemistry.

not that I hate toff but he’s not a fit in Cgy now and it not only hurts the team but also Toff…he can be a lot better on another team that fits his style more.

Hub/Lindholm/?

Manji/Kadri/?

Coleman/Backlund/Dube

Maybe Zohorna?/Ruzi/Rooney

Lucic

lewis

a few points, that top line could

do with a RW natural scorer and can keep up with Lindy and Huby…size and grit would be an added bonus…who’s available hat may fit that? And also that we can afford?

The second line could

do with a natural passer/playmaker RW, also who can keep pace with Kadri and Manji for speed and yet again size and grit wouldn’t hurt either…again who’s available that can fit that? Also that we can afford? 

that Coleman/Backlund/Dube line has seemingly had the best chemistry so far so, it only makes sense to run with it…also that’s a nightmare of a possession line for other teams…yes granted Dube dose get knocked off the puck a bit too easily to be considered a possession guy but Coleman and Backlund are and Dube is a monster on the fore check which compliments the possession of the other two…he gets the puck and the other two hold it…who knows maybe Dube may find some 

scoring touch again…both Coleman and Backlund are pretty good passers…send Dube in get the puck to Coleman..to Backlund while Dube sets up in front of the net…?

granted, in an ideal world I’d love to move Lucic for another player but…just not gonna happen…I’d actually be ok with Lucic as a spare and Lewis in the AHL as a mentor and call up guy but I’m not sure if Lewis can be sent down?

I’m not 100% convinced we need Lucic and Lewis to have a full crash and bang line every night but definitely as spares for when needed…especially in the post season, but rotate them in as needed…bonus is helps keep them healthy through the season and playoffs, they may actually be more effective when they do play less games? 

the goaltending is absolutely fine

the Defense is absolutely fine, but may need to sacrifice someone to address the RW issues…Although once Kylington is back it may not be a huge deal to say move Hanifin for a top line RW and Toffoil for a better 2nd line RW fit…not necessarily a better player but a player better suited to ply with Manji and Kadri 

it’s pretty the Major problem is chemo is just not there and it’s also pretty clear it’s the top 2 RW positions that are lacking…time to BT to address early on so the team

can build chemistry in those top 2 lines 

58 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

And also be reminded that it is pre season. Never mind the fact that it's a brand new top line trying to build chemistry these guys are just shaking the rust off. It's going to take time.