Training Camp 2022

Thebrewcrew

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think he looked good in Tampa.

Not sure about this Zohorna guy.

Are we looking to build a roster of the biggest players available?

Seems to have decent Czech and AHL numbers, the latter being limited action.

His underlying numbers in the NHL and AHL are really good. So there might be something there. I don't think he is the most physical guy, so we will see if he can use his size here. 

It's a waiver claim, so if nothing else we get a free look at a player that might have a chance at the roster. 

I'm interested to see how Sutter uses Zohorna with 10 days and two games remaining after tonight.  LW.  Potential 3rd or 4th liner.  If he is good, he's an option to replace Lucic.  Not sure he pushes Lewis and Richie to the sidelines or even the farm, since both of them are RHS.  I would think that Lewis is more likely to be waived than Ritchie, and that is just based on physical attributes not overall skill.  Ritchie might be claimed by a team looking for toughness.  EDM wanted to sign him to a PTO.  

I'm not sure we both with a waiver claim if we intend to send him to the farm.  Too easy for PITTS to just re-claim him and he can be sent to the AHL.  Without really seeing him play, I'm not even sure if he is a NHL ready player.  We so rarely make claims, this is puzzling.  I assume they scouted him.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I assume he's on the opening day starting roster because why claim him just to put him on waivers to get claimed again.  We must be scouted him and feel he's a legit full timer.

Oh I am sure we scouted him and that he was a player that they had interest in. Really this is a free look at a player who has shown strong defensive abilities in a short stint. So take a look for a few practices and pre-season games and if it doesn’t work you send him back no harm no foul. Maybe it pushes guys like Milano and Ruzicka to really show what they can do, because Zohorna is coming for a job.

7 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Oh I am sure we scouted him and that he was a player that they had interest in. Really this is a free look at a player who has shown strong defensive abilities in a short stint. So take a look for a few practices and pre-season games and if it doesn’t work you send him back no harm no foul. Maybe it pushes guys like Milano and Ruzicka to really show what they can do, because Zohorna is coming for a job.

Rosters feel pretty set now with Zohorna being a part of the forward group.  Either Ruzicka makes the team and Milano doesn't, or Milano makes the team and Ruzicka has to go through waivers.  

Assuming Ritchie and Lewis are on the team too, that's 14 F.

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Rosters feel pretty set now with Zohorna being a part of the forward group.  Either Ruzicka makes the team and Milano doesn't, or Milano makes the team and Ruzicka has to go through waivers.  

Assuming Ritchie and Lewis are on the team too, that's 14 F.

There is no reason to assume that signing Milano wouldn't result in him also being waived.  

We have an ancient 4th line, with Lucic and Lewis.

Zohorna has dropped some pounds (according to Burkie) and is faster and better conditioned.

We may see a couple of games with Milano and Zohorna.

Need to see how people look in different spots.

Zohorna with Lucic and Rooney.

Milano with Kadri.

Mangiapane with Huberdeau.

Toffoli with Kadi.

I don't think Sutter is very happy with the top 6 yet.

Not to say that Dube can't be there, but he was really good with Backlund and Coleman.

It looks like Zohorna plays either wing. If Milano doesn’t step up, and Dube moves up into top 6, then that leaves a spot on third line for Ruzicka/Zohorna. Defensive line with Backlund and Coleman.

I guess we see what happens moving forward over the next 2 preseason games. League minimum so not a big risk,

Maybe Treliving expects to lose a young D to waivers so why not pick up an F?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

There is no reason to assume that signing Milano wouldn't result in him also being waived.  

We have an ancient 4th line, with Lucic and Lewis.

Zohorna has dropped some pounds (according to Burkie) and is faster and better conditioned.

We may see a couple of games with Milano and Zohorna.

Need to see how people look in different spots.

Zohorna with Lucic and Rooney.

Milano with Kadri.

Mangiapane with Huberdeau.

Toffoli with Kadi.

I don't think Sutter is very happy with the top 6 yet.

Not to say that Dube can't be there, but he was really good with Backlund and Coleman.

I'm guessing Milano has an extra option or two than to sign and go to the AHL with us.

Usually if you pick up a player on waivers right now it's a player you've had your eye on for a while. Flames must feel he can help them. He doesn't look the profile of someone who can help them in their top 9 but beggars can't be chooser right now. 

Flames should be concerned about their forwards right now IMO. Their 3rd line doesn't look great and their 4th line looks like it's going to get beat up. 

At this point I will be very surprised if Milano is offered a contract. Sometime left for him to change their mind but it's not looking good for him. I also don't think he will be an AHL option for them they would just release him. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Usually if you pick up a player on waivers right now it's a player you've had your eye on for a while. Flames must feel he can help them. He doesn't look the profile of someone who can help them in their top 9 but beggars can't be chooser right now. 

Flames should be concerned about their forwards right now IMO. Their 3rd line doesn't look great and their 4th line looks like it's going to get beat up. 

At this point I will be very surprised if Milano is offered a contract. Sometime left for him to change their mind but it's not looking good for him. I also don't think he will be an AHL option for them they would just release him. 

I'm really concerned about that 4th line.  Rooney is fine.  Lucic and others so far have looked off.

If they can't get it together now, it's going to be bad once the season starts/

That also projects upward.

Toffoli isn't fitting.

Using Dube other than with Backlund seems to be a bad choice.

We don't have either a 2RW or a 2LW, depending on where Toffoli slots in.

I was hoping to see how Milano could play with Kadri and Mangiapane.

That may not happen.

Alternatively, Ruzicka on LW.

Don't get me wrong, I like our team.

We have too many depth guys though.

Possibly 5 of 6 of Lucic, Rooney, Ruzicka, Lewis, Zohorna, Ritchie.

Can't be having a 4th line that gets killed.

I follow the league quite closely, but not gonna lie, I didn't know who Zohorna was. Admittedly, I watched very little of the covid division season, which was when he made his debut.

Obviously, the team likes Zohorna. Wouldn't have made the claim otherwise. I also think this is a kick in the butt for Milano/Ruzicka and Eakin. Nobody has stood-out to claim a job, now there's more competition. Better get going. 

It's low risk. If it doesn't work, place him on waivers again. Nothing lost. 

Milano is gonna be looking for a job. I don't see him getting a contract. When he signed his PTO, I thought it was highly likely, it hasn't worked out at all.

Stone has done everything you could ask from the guy. Still not sure if it's enough to get a deal though.

I've liked Rooney on the Backlund line tonight, more than I thought. 

I could see these being the opening night lines

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Mangiapane-Kadri-Dube

Rooney-Backlund-Coleman

Lucic-Lewis-Ritchie

42 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Milano is gonna be looking for a job. I don't see him getting a contract. When he signed his PTO, I thought it was highly likely, it hasn't worked out at all.

Stone has done everything you could ask from the guy. Still not sure if it's enough to get a deal though.

I've liked Rooney on the Backlund line tonight, more than I thought. 

I could see these being the opening night lines

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Mangiapane-Kadri-Dube

Rooney-Backlund-Coleman

Lucic-Lewis-Ritchie

Yeah he's not making this team. Nothing more than a shiny name. Cut him loose.

Overall game looked pretty good.  I thought this was definitely Ruzie‘a best showing so far; in the mix and noticeable throughout the game.  Nice to see Mangie back and biting! 
Defence showed lots of promise…and lots to improve on.

best line was KDM.  Lots of jump and push.  Eaken should be gone; Milano, too. Neither one looks to fit on this team.

23 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah he's not making this team. Nothing more than a shiny name. Cut him loose.

I'm getting a Joe Colborne feel with Milano. Both guys had career years and their teams didn't issue a QO. Colborne did get a UFA deal, but was out of the league shortly after. Milano is fighting for his NHL career I'd think

14 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm getting a Joe Colborne feel with Milano. Both guys had career years and their teams didn't issue a QO. Colborne did get a UFA deal, but was out of the league shortly after. Milano is fighting for his NHL career I'd think

I never heard a peep from ANA fans that they cared that he was gone.

We're waaay better than Anaheim rn.

The PTOs (not Stone) I'm really hoping go away.

Don't need them, they've served their purpose.

Markstrom looked ready.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

How don't you  keep Stone?

JFC now he wants to score more goals than his brother.lol

It's only been a year of Sutter for him. Now he sees it.

That's my hot take. That shot is devastating, just don't hit your teammates, guy.🙏🏼

And so, is Michael Stone the new RW for Kadri?

Well last nights game looked better. If Kadri is not up tp speed than he is going to be very impressive this year. Ruzicka looked better tonight, Milano and Eakins meh, Stone is Stone. The Dube- Mags Kadri line was impressive on the fore check they seemed to have some chemistry. D was good as was tending. I don't mind Rooney but I can safely say I am not sure how you ice Lucic and Lewis on this roster unless you have to, Especially Lucic. That line was a liability most of the night. I understand we need the crash and bangers but if you cant get in fast enough to do so than its time. Milano lloked more engaged but he just lloks out of place time to move on from him. 

My three stars tonight

1) Blake Coleman Loved his game tonight

2) Chris Tanev looks like he never missed a beat

3) Nazim Kadri this kid is good, lots to like with his game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Well last nights game looked better. If Kadri is not up tp speed than he is going to be very impressive this year. Ruzicka looked better tonight, Milano and Eakins meh, Stone is Stone. The Dube- Mags Kadri line was impressive on the fore check they seemed to have some chemistry. D was good as was tending. I don't mind Rooney but I can safely say I am not sure how you ice Lucic and Lewis on this roster unless you have to, Especially Lucic. That line was a liability most of the night. I understand we need the crash and bangers but if you cant get in fast enough to do so than its time. Milano lloked more engaged but he just lloks out of place time to move on from him. 

My three stars tonight

1) Blake Coleman Loved his game tonight

2) Chris Tanev looks like he never missed a beat

3) Nazim Kadri this kid is good, lots to like with his game

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

And so, is Michael Stone the new RW for Kadri?

It was funny listening to Sutter's post game comments.  He was kinda annoyed about the talk of Stone scoring goals.  Said that's not the role of depth defense.  They are supposed to prevent goals.  Most minutes played by Zaddy-Weegar, with Tanevl-Hanifin following.

Kadri isn't up to speed yet (Sutter), but looked fast in execution.  The C's all had over 50% on the dot, with Backlund, Eakin and Ruzie having the best numbers over 70%.  Kadri was 55%.  

It's hard to take much from this game, as we were missing the top 3 players and 2 of the regulars from the D.  Beating Seattle isn't much to gauge the players on.  I agree with your top 3.  Like you, I saw the 4th line struggle a lot.  Having Eakin barely made them passable.  

The fringe players didn't really do themselves any favor, but then again they didn't look any worse than the Lucic line.  Not sure they did anything to hurt or help in the decision making.  

Stone has been incredible. What more does a guy have to do to stick here? That shot is definitely made for PP time, and I like his defensive game (I'll always point out how he pins players to the boards for a few steamboats to keep them out of the play and out of sync with their linemates - a lost art!) 

• Like 2