Training Camp 2022

Thebrewcrew

It's that time of year.

Tons of questions at camp this year.

Which line does Huberdeau play on? What about Kadri?

D pairings? Weegar on the left or right? How does the logjam on D shake-out?

Do any young players crack the roster? Gut feel here, but I think Schwindt may be the most likely to make it out of camp. 

I also wonder about Ruzicka. The C position looks to be full. He now requires waivers and at close to league min, I could see him being claimed. Does he end up playing on the wing?

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It's that time of year.

Tons of questions at camp this year.

Which line does Huberdeau play on? What about Kadri?

D pairings? Weegar on the left or right? How does the logjam on D shake-out?

Do any young players crack the roster? Gut feel here, but I think Schwindt may be the most likely to make it out of camp. 

I also wonder about Ruzicka. The C position looks to be full. He now requires waivers and at close to league min, I could see him being claimed. Does he end up playing on the wing?

I think there is a plan for Ruzicka.  Sutter thinks he is ready, but needs to show other things.

His defensive game and ability to play the wing.  And faceoff %.

Saying that, I'm not sure what the plan is for the roster.

Too many D, not enough RW..

Top 6 right now includes Hubie, Lindy, Toffoli, Mangiapane, Kadri.

Options for 3rd line include Backlund, Coleman, Dube, Ruzicka, Pelletier.

Coleman and Dube can play RW.

Ruzie and Pelletier could possibly take a spot.

They have some work to do to make that spot.

Ruzie and Pelletier could really benefit from Backlund bump.

But I think Pelletier is a long shot right now.

Has to have a killer rcamp.

The D will get different looks.

Right now, I think they can run Weegar as the top pairing with Ras.

I don't think it matters as much who plays with Tanev - Hanifin or Kylington fit like a glove.

The minutes will work themselves out.

It's going to be a very competitive camp.

There's 15 NHL forwards at camp. Not to mention the Pelletier/Duehr/Schwindt's of the world.

There's also 10 D that can play NHL minutes.

Out of the PTO's I think Milano and Stone will get deals. I don't see it being in the cards for Eakin. That could change if there are injuries, of course.

On 9/19/2022 at 5:49 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

It's going to be a very competitive camp.

There's 15 NHL forwards at camp. Not to mention the Pelletier/Duehr/Schwindt's of the world.

There's also 10 D that can play NHL minutes.

Out of the PTO's I think Milano and Stone will get deals. I don't see it being in the cards for Eakin. That could change if there are injuries, of course.

Ya could see Stone signed again.  He's a good 7th D.

I am hoping Klapka can make a real push.  He's a monster.  RHS RW who knows his role.  We don't need Ritchie back.

Schwindt should get a good look too.  RHS C... Sutter likes that.

1 hour ago, rocketdoctor said:

I found Tre's statement on Kylington a bit concerning in the way he went out of his way to state it's not a substance abuse thing.  Found that very strange.

Whatever the issue get back soon Kylington. 

Just to nip silly speculations in the bud. Rumours can take on a life of their own.

6 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

I found Tre's statement on Kylington a bit concerning in the way he went out of his way to state it's not a substance abuse thing.  Found that very strange.

Whatever the issue get back soon Kylington. 

It needs to be said.  Stops the media from asking a bunch of questions.  If he wants to talk about it, he will.  None of my business.

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It needs to be said.  Stops the media from asking a bunch of questions.  If he wants to talk about it, he will.  None of my business.

100% agree it's private.

Just found it strange he specifically mentioned substance abuse rather than just say it's 'a personal issue and give hime space'   Unless something was already in the rumour mill that Tre found it necessary to make that particular statement.  Was just a weird way of putting imo.

First looks at lines/pairings according to Ryan Leslie.

Nothing terribly surprising here IMO as we should keep in mind Eakin and Meloche are very likely placeholders for Mangiapane and Kylington who are not skating. 

Looks like Milano is going to get a real shot though. 

Interesting to see Pospisil with the big group. I think he gets overlooked as a prospect. He might not ever be a top 6 forward, but he plays with an edge and has enough skill that he isn’t a black hole offensively. He can also play all 3 forward positions. He will be with the Wranglers, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he got into a few games this year with the Flames.

Also if you are looking at Mangiapane replacing Eakin and Kylington replacing Meloche, then this lineup looks pretty good to me.

Those are the pairs I would go with. I think Weegar will really take off playing for Sutter and having the stability of Tanev. He already was a top 20 defenseman coming into the season, but I think he will take another step this year.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Also if you are looking at Mangiapane replacing Eakin and Kylington replacing Meloche, then this lineup looks pretty good to me.

Those are the pairs I would go with. I think Weegar will really take off playing for Sutter and having the stability of Tanev. He already was a top 20 defenseman coming into the season, but I think he will take another step this year.

The Hanifin Andersson pairing is a hold over to last season.  Will probably try out Weegar with Hanifin and Andersson at some point. 

But I do like the idea of trying Milano with Kadri.  It makes sense, since we kinda need someone not on the roster to push into the top 6. 

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The Milano comment isn't surprising (it's actually fairly obvious) but thought it was noteworthy

It's funny... my wife and I were talking about Jonathan Huberdeau and his cars.

He seems like he's fully bought in... I'll bet he's going to buy an Alberta-sized Dodge RAM.

No kidding.

Love.

It really seems like Kadri is a guy who isn’t happy to just sit back now that he has a Cup ring, he seems super focused and determined. I would have to think that he is going to bring some of that famous MacKinnon determination that he picked up in Colorado to Calgary.

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The Milano comment isn't surprising (it's actually fairly obvious) but thought it was noteworthy

Milano could be an interesting watch. Playing with Zegras has given him a hot dog label to some. That wont fly under Sutter or in the locker room so lets see how he adapts.

3 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Milano could be an interesting watch. Playing with Zegras has given him a hot dog label to some. That wont fly under Sutter or in the locker room so lets see how he adapts.

Milano seems hungry around the net and has good/smart vision.  Had he played a full season with Zegras this season, then I think he would've posted 20-G and maybe 60-points.  It's decent.

So I'm intrigued just how bad is he defensively that ANA would kick him to the curb so quickly after he developed chemistry with Zegras.