Training Camp 2022

Thebrewcrew

As is the case in most split squad games, the lineup at the Dome is going to be much better than the lineup going to VAN. 

Looking forward to seeing what Wolf/Pelletier/Valimaki can do on the road.

At home, interested to see Huberdeau and Weegar in action for the first time as Flames. Also curious to see what Milano brings.

51 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It was nice to see our top line LW go to the net.

That's all that I need to really say other than he's going to be really solid.

Milano was good for some of the game.

Poirier was good too.

Backlund and Dube and Coleman best line overall.

Maybe.

Hubie probably engaged physically more in this game than Gaudreau would in an entire season.

Entirely different style of game.

• Like 1

Watched both games.

The Van game Wolf was impressive, he may not be big but gets into position very quick and reads the plays well.  The other  player that stood out for me was Phillips, great with the puck good passer he could be choice for wing. Pelts was average, Rosie was good has good chemistry with Phillips for sure.  Whats with Valimaki, he just seems to regress. Meloche was unimpressive for me, Klapka he was not out of place except for the fight. Jones was ar better than  Rooney. 

Calgary  game, Vladar was great, no one other than he was overly impressive. Porier has some offensive talent, great with the puck. Thought Mackey was the best of the non roster players, solid never really noticable which is what you want. Thought Zary was fine, he needs to get a little stronger.  As for Milano he moves the puck well, had some good plays out of the d end, he wasn't a liablity. IMHO if you want a good look at Milano put him with more talent, maybe Backs, Coleman. Like Duher as well good speed, but just not great offensively.  The top line the chemistry was not really there I thought, lots of rust. 

My three stars from both games:

1) Wolf

2) Phillips

3) Vldar 

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Watched both games.

The Van game Wolf was impressive, he may not be big but gets into position very quick and reads the plays well.  The other  player that stood out for me was Phillips, great with the puck good passer he could be choice for wing. Pelts was average, Rosie was good has good chemistry with Phillips for sure.  Whats with Valimaki, he just seems to regress. Meloche was unimpressive for me, Klapka he was not out of place except for the fight. Jones was ar better than  Rooney. 

Calgary  game, Vladar was great, no one other than he was overly impressive. Porier has some offensive talent, great with the puck. Thought Mackey was the best of the non roster players, solid never really noticable which is what you want. Thought Zary was fine, he needs to get a little stronger.  As for Milano he moves the puck well, had some good plays out of the d end, he wasn't a liablity. IMHO if you want a good look at Milano put him with more talent, maybe Backs, Coleman. Like Duher as well good speed, but just not great offensively.  The top line the chemistry was not really there I thought, lots of rust. 

My three stars from both games:

1) Wolf

2) Phillips

3) Vldar 

Agreed with your choices, and would add Jones as a close fourth.  Thought he was more than solid.  Defensively, I thought nobody stood out as a negative, or a detriment.  In the Vancouver game, Klapka definitely showed he is making a name, but Phillips was the best forward on the ice.  He is really trying to make a push for the big club, which is exactly what I would want to see from him.  It’s good to see solid goaltending, even in the preseason.  Wolf is the real deal.  His positioning is his strength, for sure.  
going forward, I would be interested in seeing Phillips play with the big club.  If chemistry is there, he looks like he could be top six.

Valimaki is continuing to disappoint.  With all the talk of trades, he would be my first candidate.

30 minutes ago, flames for life said:

Agreed with your choices, and would add Jones as a close fourth.  Thought he was more than solid.  Defensively, I thought nobody stood out as a negative, or a detriment.  In the Vancouver game, Klapka definitely showed he is making a name, but Phillips was the best forward on the ice.  He is really trying to make a push for the big club, which is exactly what I would want to see from him.  It’s good to see solid goaltending, even in the preseason.  Wolf is the real deal.  His positioning is his strength, for sure.  
going forward, I would be interested in seeing Phillips play with the big club.  If chemistry is there, he looks like he could be top six.

Valimaki is continuing to disappoint.  With all the talk of trades, he would be my first candidate.

Phillips is so tiny though.  But more effective overall than Milano.  Phillips is constantly trying to make something happen... His flash might win him the 2nd line RW spot.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Phillips is so tiny though.  But more effective overall than Milano.  Phillips is constantly trying to make something happen... His flash might win him the 2nd line RW spot.

Phillips is great as a finish guy.  Milano looks to be more of a setup guy, but he has a good reaction time on slot shots.  Play him with Mangiapane and Kadri and I think you see better results.  

The lines, pairings and groups from today are interesting to see. The groups appear to be split based on positional expectations but flipping between the two.

Group one has the expected top  and 3rd lines on F, top 4 D and Backup G with remaining Forwards being those competing for 4th line / spare snd top AHL D spots.

Group 2 has starting #2 line, possible top 9 line, likely 4th line and a line fighting for jobs at F, likely 3rd and extra D, plus middle AHL D and starting G for both Flames and Wranglers.

Interesting no Mackey at practice.

During the games Meloche was not flashy but was steady and physical. More impactful than Valimaki. Stone proved again why he is dependable and has a great shot but isn’t high end. A great 7th D. I would have placed him above Valimaki as well. I hope Valimaki can turn it around, but he just isn’t getting it done right now.

Phillips getting rewarded for good play, getting a chance with Mangiapane and Kadri. Pelletier, Ruzicka and Klapka playing together either as likely AHL top line or trying to prove they deserve to be on the team. Schwindt with Jones and McLain look like a future 3rd line situation. Reliable defensively, energetic and can chip in on offence.

Practice Notes
Group 1 Lines

Jonathan Huberdeau - Elias Lindholm - Tyler Toffoli

Dillon Dube - Mikael Backlund - Blake Coleman

Cody Eakin - Connor Zary - Sonny Milano

Brett Sutter - Clark Bishop - Walker Duehr

Group 1 Pairings

MacKenzie Weegar - Christopher Tanev

Noah Hanifin - Rasmus Andersson

Jeremie Poirier - Colton Poolman

Group 1 Goaltenders

Dan Vladar

Oscar Dansk

Group 2 Lines

Andrew Mangiapane - Nazem Kadri - Matthew Phillips

Jakob Pelletier - Adam Ruzicka - Adam Klapka

Milan Lucic - Kevin Rooney - Trevor Lewis

Mitch McLain - Ben Jones - Cole Schwindt

Alex Gallant

Group 2 Pairings

Nikita Zadorov - Nicolas Meloche

Juuso Valimaki - Michael Stone

Dennis Gilbert - Nick DeSimone

Chris Tanev (skated in both groups)

Group 2 Goaltenders

Jacob Markstrom

Dustin Wolf

It's good to see the staff rewarding Phillips today with the promotion to Kadri's wing.

I think Phillips will play a bunch of preseason games and they will give him a long-look. He's got a lot working against him, but he is a RHS and that's something the Flames really lack.

Right now I think Milano is in the driver's seat for that spot, but Phillips is in the mix. He's going to have to find a way to put up some points, because I think a tie goes to the veteran in Milano.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It's good to see the staff rewarding Phillips today with the promotion to Kadri's wing.

I think Phillips will play a bunch of preseason games and they will give him a long-look. He's got a lot working against him, but he is a RHS and that's something the Flames really lack.

Right now I think Milano is in the driver's seat for that spot, but Phillips is in the mix. He's going to have to find a way to put up some points, because I think a tie goes to the veteran in Milano.

Well, it's early yet.  The kids will get 2-3 games to prove they are worth keeping for the 4th game.

Sutter hasn't seen much of him yet.

Give it the next game before we get too high on him.

That's true of Milano, but he has a little less to prove.