Training Camp 2022

Thebrewcrew

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Watch Huberdeau go on a tangent and frighten the Oilers faithful.lol

He’s pretty intense. It would surprise me little if he told Sutter he wants in on Oilers hate.

I kinda hope Dube gets RW shifts with him.

IF we get any PP time, no doubt you will see Dube on it.

Ruzicka gets a huge opportunity to play with the best.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

IF we get any PP time, no doubt you will see Dube on it.

Ruzicka gets a huge opportunity to play with the best.

Given the level and amount of Nhl experience Eaken and Milano have, I would expect them to stand out in early games (Ahl heavy), and then to assimilate into their roles in games laden with nhl players.  Frankly, I have seen neither with both players.  Ruzie has shown more, albeit in spurts, and imo, Phillips has had more impact in the early games than Milano has.

Frankly, I don’t believe either Eaken or Milano have done enough to warrant a contract with the Flames.

I would rather see the younger players given the opportunity to play and mature into their roles in the nhl.  Even Sutter must believe that the veterans he prefers came from nhl rookies!

4 minutes ago, flames for life said:

Given the level and amount of Nhl experience Eaken and Milano have, I would expect them to stand out in early games (Ahl heavy), and then to assimilate into their roles in games laden with nhl players.  Frankly, I have seen neither with both players.  Ruzie has shown more, albeit in spurts, and imo, Phillips has had more impact in the early games than Milano has.

Frankly, I don’t believe either Eaken or Milano have done enough to warrant a contract with the Flames.

I would rather see the younger players given the opportunity to play and mature into their roles in the nhl.  Even Sutter must believe that the veterans he prefers came from nhl rookies!

Sutter views players differently.

The NHL vets don't have to prove they are NHL players and are shaking off the rust.

They do have to show that they are getting there.

Rookies and young players have to show they belong as a regular.

After all, it's not sky high competition.

So, if Sutter has not seen you play in the NHL ever, he's expecting you to be the best player in a game.

The vets get the benefit of doubt based on scouting and games played.

It may not be right, but it seems to be the way.

Interesting listening to Sutter in recent interview. Basic said none of the PTOs or prospects have really stood out during practices or games. At least not enough to put themselves in the lead for the “open” top 9 position. 

He was impressed with the off season work Ruzicka did over the summer that didn’t exist last year. He now has a “man’s body”.

He also likes Klapka with his hockey sense and hands. 

Likely see Stone get signed unless Mackey or Valimaki absolutely steal a spot over the next couple of preseason games which seems unlikely.

I am excited about the season.

7 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Interesting listening to Sutter in recent interview. Basic said none of the PTOs or prospects have really stood out during practices or games. At least not enough to put themselves in the lead for the “open” top 9 position. 

He was impressed with the off season work Ruzicka did over the summer that didn’t exist last year. He now has a “man’s body”.

Likely see Stone get signed unless Mackey or Valimaki absolutely steal a spot over the next couple of preseason games which seems unlikely.

The bolded part...

He did mentioned that a lot of this is due to the fact that they haven't played Kadri much, and it's chemistry with that player that will determine who gets the spot.  Nobody has stepped up, but then again nobody they haven't tried many looks of the top 6.  Mange hasn't played.  Kadri played with Backlund.  Only the top line has played any time as a 3 man unit.

Flames also have cut 6 of 8 F from the 3rd group, plus 2 goalies and all but Poolman from that D group.  

21 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Let's hope Klapka doesn't ever fight again because all that size and he can't handle a much smaller opponent.

1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

Yeh, agreed…Sutter doesn’t seem quite confident or comfortable with the RW I get a sense from that interview Cgy is giving every opportunity for someone either young guy or a PTO to step up and take it…but I also get a sense that they are not willing to settle either, they are kinda waiting and seeing but if no one seeps up a trade could be pending 

Agreed that chemistry is a big part of it. All I was pointing out was that of the players who are trying out for the top 6 RW have taken the opportunity and run with it in order to force the coaches to really notice them.

So far it looks like the intention is to play

Huberdeau / Lindholm / Toffoli 

Mangiapane / Kadri / ??

Dube / Backlund / Coleman 

Lucic / ?? / Lewis

So far, Rooney has the inside track for 4th line C but Schwindt is showing well at face offs and defensively. Eakin is likely playing for a spot as a spare as well on the 4th line or as a spare.

So basically the players who are trying to grab that top 6 spot are

Milano

Phillips

Pelletier 

Ruzicka

Zary

Pettersen

Duehr, Klapka, Sutter and Ritchie are fighting for 4th line / replacement role for injuries. Klapka likely needs time in the A to get more used to North American ice, and will get more of a shot next season.

2 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Agreed that chemistry is a big part of it. All I was pointing out was that of the players who are trying out for the top 6 RW have taken the opportunity and run with it in order to force the coaches to really notice them.

So far it looks like the intention is to play

Huberdeau / Lindholm / Toffoli 

Mangiapane / Kadri / ??

Dube / Backlund / Coleman 

Lucic / ?? / Lewis

So far, Rooney has the inside track for 4th line C but Schwindt is showing well at face offs and defensively. Eakin is likely playing for a spot as a spare as well on the 4th line or as a spare.

So basically the players who are trying to grab that top 6 spot are

Milano

Phillips

Pelletier 

Ruzicka

Zary

Pettersen

Duehr, Klapka, Sutter and Ritchie are fighting for 4th line / replacement role for injuries. Klapka likely needs time in the A to get more used to North American ice, and will get more of a shot next season.

I don't think Klapka, Sutter and Duehr are being considered for NHL jobs at this point.

Too fronge, and Sutter is basically an AHL player at this point.

Ritchie is the spare 4th liner right now with Lucic, Rooney and Lewis.

It comes down to (IMHO) Milano and Ruzicka for the extra spots.

Eakin may get a deal, but will be waived.

So, to help me get a better sense of numbers, I did the roster like this:

Hubie-Lindy-Toffoli

Mange-Kadri-Milano

Coleman-Backlund-Dube

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

Ex. Ruzie, Ritchie

Waived - Eakin, Phillips

Hanifin-Andersson

Kylington-Tanev

Weegar-Tanev

Ex. Stone

Waived - Meloche, Valimaki, Mackey

If Kylington is off for any time, Meloche will be kept as the 8th D.

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Vladar has been solid again tonight. The coaching staff should trust him. There's no reason to start Markstrom 60+ times. Vladar can handle 25 starts

I think Sutter has more confidence this year.

Sutter has talked about it and it seems he's okay with Vladar.

Last year, he had to prove it to the coach and he did.

Too late to reduce Marky's starts.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I think Sutter has more confidence this year.

Sutter has talked about it and it seems he's okay with Vladar.

Last year, he had to prove it to the coach and he did.

Too late to reduce Marky's starts.

I hope so.

Apparently Markstrom was healthy to end the year. He was fantastic against Dallas, I was at game 7 and there were two or three game saving stops in OT he made to save the series. He was awesome against the Stars. The only logical explanations for round two were that he was overworked, or Edmonton is in his head. 

Either way, I'd dial back his workload. Markstrom doesn't need to be playing any games against ARI/CHI/BUF/MTL this year. That's in the neighbourhood of 7-10 less starts right there 

• Like 1

Vladar continues to impress, and he has been consistent. What a pickup. I was pretty torn over Rittich, but Vladar has surpassed him and appears to be on starter trajectory. Yay us!

Can someone explain to me why the refs blew the whistle when Dube was making an offensive strike towards the net and Kane and McDaniels bumped into each other? Is this the McDavid effect? Because I’m pretty sure the Oil have to have possession before the whistle is blown. Didn’t look like a head injury or major distress to blow the whistle. Maybe the refs are also on PTOs from lesser leagues. Not a good look! Lol

I’m a little frustrated with Milano’s play. I expected him to be more visible but outside of a few plays, he doesn’t seem to win or engage in enough battles. C’mon dude, let’s go! 

Lastly, I am loving what I’m seeing out of Huberdeau. That guy’s compete level is up there. His physicality is on display as well. God love Gaudreau and his silky, slippery mits and darting skating, but Hubie brings a skill, snarl, confidence, and creativity that is already exciting to watch. It’s going to be a fun year!

Valimaki… yeesh. If EDM won’t take him for Poolparty, trade him for a pick or something. Anywhere. Buffalo. NYI. Wherever. Not liking the play nor body language. 

21 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Vladar continues to impress, and he has been consistent. What a pickup. I was pretty torn over Rittich, but Vladar has surpassed him and appears to be on starter trajectory. Yay us!

Can someone explain to me why the refs blew the whistle when Dube was making an offensive strike towards the net and Kane and McDaniels bumped into each other? Is this the McDavid effect? Because I’m pretty sure the Oil have to have possession before the whistle is blown. Didn’t look like a head injury or major distress to blow the whistle. Maybe the refs are also on PTOs from lesser leagues. Not a good look! Lol

I’m a little frustrated with Milano’s play. I expected him to be more visible but outside of a few plays, he doesn’t seem to win or engage in enough battles. C’mon dude, let’s go! 

Lastly, I am loving what I’m seeing out of Huberdeau. That guy’s compete level is up there. His physicality is on display as well. God love Gaudreau and his silky, slippery mits and darting skating, but Hubie brings a skill, snarl, confidence, and creativity that is already exciting to watch. It’s going to be a fun year!

Valimaki… yeesh. If EDM won’t take him for Poolparty, trade him for a pick or something. Anywhere. Buffalo. NYI. Wherever. Not liking the play nor body language. 

Vladar has been great. At 750k, he should be one of the best value deals in hockey.

I've got no idea who's getting that last forward spot. I think it could end up being Ruzicka, just given the fact that the org likes him and he needs waivers. I thought it would be Milano, but he's been very quiet and the preseason is halfway over.

I stil find out weird watching the Flames top unit and not seeing Gaudreau lol. But I think the fanbase is going to love Huberdeau. This is a highly motivated player and one that chose to be here...

Valimaki will clear waivers, he's overpaid for what he is right now. Mackey and Stone will likely be the 6 and 7 D, if Kylington misses time

3 hours ago, LouCifer said:

I had the sound off so I wouldn't have to hear EDM Jack going nuts everytime the Oils moved their bowels.

It was a player down whistle, but it should have gone on for some time.

I had to laugh that McLain fought Nuirse twice, the 2nd time because Nurse didn't like being pummeled.

Kane chirped or did something douchy, and the said there was a CGY PP, but they had 5 Oilers out.

Pre-season reffing.  It was bad.

Valimaki got better as the game went on, but he had a few plays that were hard to watch.

One being the goal.  Pooly looked out of step, so there may be a trade there.

We need a top 6 F more than a 9th D.

Mackey and Meloche are both better.

Sonny had a point blank shot, and he got a decent shot away, but it should have been a one timer.

Had a couple of plays that looked good, but nothing much.

Ruzie looked prett solid, but we need a RW or play him opposite Toffoli.

Mange move up in that case.

I give time for Toffee to gel, but it can't be forced if he's a swuare peg.

See how he does with Kadri.

Took in the last two periods. First I have to say watching Oilers announcers is extremely difficult, worst I have ever heard. Love Mc Jesus get smoked by Kane was kind ot the highlight of the night, Plus the 9.2 Million dollar pillon get a beat down was nice to watch as well, so easy to get into that kitchen, lol. 

However our side, Toffoli to me looks out of place , never really noticed Hubie all night either. Though Mackey was one of our better DMan, Valimaki I can safely say is done  he is over his head. Best forward of the night fighting for a spot was Zary, skates well smart plays, I think he needs to get stronger but like the player, close second was Ruzicka, really liked his game. Milano has been less than impressive and Eakins when the talent gets better the further he regresses. IMHO on D its still Stone, Mackey and Meloche. 

My three stars 

1) Vldar

2) Dube

3) Zary 

Honorable mention Ruzicka and Mclain for beating down the Pylon

4 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Took in the last two periods. First I have to say watching Oilers announcers is extremely difficult, worst I have ever heard. Love Mc Jesus get smoked by Kane was kind ot the highlight of the night, Plus the 9.2 Million dollar pillon get a beat down was nice to watch as well, so easy to get into that kitchen, lol. 

However our side, Toffoli to me looks out of place , never really noticed Hubie all night either. Though Mackey was one of our better DMan, Valimaki I can safely say is done  he is over his head. Best forward of the night fighting for a spot was Zary, skates well smart plays, I think he needs to get stronger but like the player, close second was Ruzicka, really liked his game. Milano has been less than impressive and Eakins when the talent gets better the further he regresses. IMHO on D its still Stone, Mackey and Meloche. 

My three stars 

1) Vldar

2) Dube

3) Zary 

Honorable mention Ruzicka and Mclain for beating down the Pylon

Mackey was steady all night.  Meloche is quiet but in a good way.

Valimaki had a rough game, and was burned on the first goal.

Zary was the best skater and had his way with the Oilers.

Considering the Oilers had most of their D core playing, this is bad for the Oilers.

They will struggle to suppress goals.

Campbell looks like the TOR goalie I remember from the spring.

Need to try out a few players with Hubie.

Toffoli is not really a top line player.

Like to see one game of Mange with Hubie and one with Kadri.

Same with Milano.

Every team has holes. That's just the reality of the cap world. To start the season, it looks like the biggest hole for the Flames will be a winger.

I think Milano is running out of racetrack. It may come down to Monday for him. Would still like to see him on Kadri's line before the team makes a final decision.

Right now I think Zary has the best chance of the prospects to crack the team. The roster is set at C and he handled himself better at LW than Ruzicka did. Personally, I'd like to see any of Ruzicka/Zary/Phillips be given an opportunity more than Milano at this point. Pelletier will likely get recalled this season, but I don't think he's done enough to make it out of camp

These would be my forward lines right now

Huberdeau-Lindhom-Toffoli

Mangiapane-Kadri-Dube

Zary-Backlund-Coleman

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

Ritchie

Hanifin-Andersson

Weegar-Tanev

Zadorov-Meloche

Mackey

If the Flames want to carry a full 23 player roster, I could see them signing Stone. Doesn't appear that Kylington will be back anytime soon, so it would buy the team time. If/when Kylington comes back, then the Flames would need to waive a D. 

13 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Mangiapane-Kadri-Dube

Zary-Backlund-Coleman

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

Ritchie

Hanifin-Andersson

Weegar-Tanev

Zadorov-Meloche

Mackey

Got no issues with Stone being signed, or the D crew.

Mackey looks real good, but I think we have to get him down to the AHL when most teams are set.

I do have an issue with Dube playing with Kadri and Mange.

He's played with Mange before and the results weren't good.

Dube would fit with Backlund and Coleman IMHO.

I would prefer to see Mange takes some reps on the top line.

Toffoli with Kadri and figure out the LW spot.

See if Milano can do some damage there.

Or see if Ruzie can fit the play.

Milano or no Milano, we are down a top 6 winger.

Valimaki is gonna be a waste unless we trade him.

Right now, if EDM wanted him for Puljujarvi, I wouldn't even hesitate.

Pooly has more than just scoring going for him.

He's no less suited for top 6 than Toffoli.

Him under Sutter would be a rebirth. 

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Milano or no Milano, we are down a top 6 winger.

Valimaki is gonna be a waste unless we trade him.

Right now, if EDM wanted him for Puljujarvi, I wouldn't even hesitate.

Pooly has more than just scoring going for him.

He's no less suited for top 6 than Toffoli.

Him under Sutter would be a rebirth. 

EDM media have speulated that a mid-round pick would be enough to acquire Puljujarvi. I'd have moved a 2nd for him months ago. Unfortunately, I don't think they're interested in sending him to CGY, if they can help it

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

EDM media have speulated that a mid-round pick would be enough to acquire Puljujarvi. I'd have moved a 2nd for him months ago. Unfortunately, I don't think they're interested in sending him to CGY, if they can help it

I don't know what they are thinking.

If we offered Valimaki, they should be all over it, regardless of being CGY.

They get half the cap back and can get all but $500k if they waived him.

He's already better than Broburg, not even close.

Heard that they were looking at Chychrun.

That's funny.

Have to trade a 1st and at least a high value prospect + Barrie.

Why ARI would consider that is a joke.

Meanwhile, they will have Pooly playing out the year.

And not get anything unless he lights it up.

He won't because he's being given the shaft.

Regressed under new coach.

21 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

So far

No to Milano

No to Eakin

No to Valimaki

Yes to Ruzicka

Yes to Stone

All valid points.

What I would say is you sign a guy like Milano as insurance.

We don't really have a top 6 player ready in case of injury.

Move Dube up, we don't have a defensive F available.

I'm looking at this year being the year that the farm players become 100% ready.

Zary, Schwindt, Pospicil, Pettersen, Phillips, Pelletier are just a little off.

Could they come in on an injury callup and blow the doors off?

Sure, but they also have to be able to take the spot vacated.

Without a long term chance, they would more likely just be an option.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Every team has holes. That's just the reality of the cap world. To start the season, it looks like the biggest hole for the Flames will be a winger.

I think Milano is running out of racetrack. It may come down to Monday for him. Would still like to see him on Kadri's line before the team makes a final decision.

Right now I think Zary has the best chance of the prospects to crack the team. The roster is set at C and he handled himself better at LW than Ruzicka did. Personally, I'd like to see any of Ruzicka/Zary/Phillips be given an opportunity more than Milano at this point. Pelletier will likely get recalled this season, but I don't think he's done enough to make it out of camp

Mangiapane-Kadri-Dube

Zary-Backlund-Coleman

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

Ritchie

Hanifin-Andersson

Weegar-Tanev

Zadorov-Meloche

Mackey

If the Flames want to carry a full 23 player roster, I could see them signing Stone. Doesn't appear that Kylington will be back anytime soon, so it would buy the team time. If/when Kylington comes back, then the Flames would need to waive a D. 

I dont disagree wiht your roster with the exception on defense and where you have Dube slotted. For me its between Mackey and Stone, my d pairings would be 

Hanifin Anderspn

Zadorov Weeger

Tanev Mackey/ Stone

What we do know is Tanev makes guys better he could shelter Mackey or Stone, Weegar supresses rushes and would be a good asset for Zadorov. Dube has been fine with Backs and Coleman put him back there. Zary has impressed me this camp but I am not sure he has the strength to win battles. IMHO Zary has out played Milano and Dube has out performed them both but is not a 2nd line guy. There is one guy that has been a huge disappointment thus far has been Toffoli, just not loving the fit.