Training Camp 2022

Thebrewcrew

26 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Too bad it didn't work out with Milano. 

Glad they didn't sign Eakin. Was a bit concerned they would. 

That's good news. Wanted neither, Wolf had a good camp. As for your last post, pre-season is just scrimmage for bonafide NHLers. There's little to take away.

I didn’t have a ton of faith that Milano was going to be the right fit, but I was hoping it would work to fill a top 9 spot. But he just came out flat and didn’t take a spot, and this idea that he wasn’t put in a position to succeed because he wasn’t put in top 6 positions is crap. He was playing for a contract, go steal a spot regardless of where you are in the lineup.

It never worked out for the two PTO's that were looking to make the team.  If you don't show enough to the coach, the GM isn't going to offer you anything.  We are back trying to figure out the lines and see what chemistry will happen.  TBH, I haven't seen much.  Kadri has looked good.  Seems like he fits with Mangiapane, but not 100% sure on that.  Coleman and Backlund seem to fit.  Hubie and Lindholm seem okay, but not 100% sure on that.

I'm not overly concerned about winning or losing pre-season games, but we don't look set yet for the season.  

45 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That's good news. Wanted neither, Wolf had a good camp. As for your last post, pre-season is just scrimmage for bonafide NHLers. There's little to take away.

Yeah with each passing year I care less and less about preseason, watched a little bit of the one game on TV have only watched highlights of some of the others, might go tomorrow but that will just be to see what's new for concessions, and how much the already ridiculously overpriced beverages have increased.  But I don't go for deep dives or analysis, is it a problem that no top forward prospect blew us away, not really.  I remember Chuck Kobasew and Dustin Boyd in the preseason played like Ovechkin and Crosby, even Brodie looked like he'd be a high goal scoring defenseman in his first preseason, he has amounted to average offensively.  And then almost every year there is an UDFA energy player who gains notoriety, last year was Walker Duehr and I haven't heard much from him this year and he wasn't really a standout for the Heat last year.  The only concerns I ever get in preseason are if the NHL goalies are getting lit up by B-Teams which hasn't looked like the case so far.

55 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Lias Andersson is an interesting name on waivers. Not sure how much upside is left there, but he was once a high pick.

Lias Andersson was a #7 pick in a draft that most scouts and analysts would probably like to forget, even then he was seen by most as a mid 1st, I think he was even ranked lower than Valimaki.  So his fall is only surprising to the crowd who believes every top 10 is great regardless of whether they should of been.  A player who was struggling to get time on a rebuilding team isn't one that I'll think of as a missing piece to a contender usually.  At least he'll be the guy who threw his silver medal to the crowd and tripped on a cable during home opener ceremonies, I don't think he'll be known for much else in the future.

So 25 left

With Kylington absent (btw does his contract count against cap?)  Not sure how personal stuff is accounted for on rosters.

24 left so someone still needs to go.  2 if we sign Stone.

Huberdeau   Lindholm  Toffoli

Mangipane  Kadri  Dube

Rooney Backlund  Coleman

Lucic  Lewis Ritchie

Zohorna  Ruzicka 

Andersdon  Hanifin

Weeger Tanev

Zadorov  Kylington

Stone      Meloche     Valimaki

Markstrom

Vladar

So will they go 14 fwds 7 D or 13 fwds 8 D?

To me  Valimaki looks a cert to be waived with Stone/Meloche 6/7 D.

So who gets waived in the forwards?   Ritchie I suppose

21 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

So 25 left

With Kylington absent (btw does his contract count against cap?)  Not sure how personal stuff is accounted for on rosters.

Mangipane  Kadri  Dube

Rooney Backlund  Coleman

Lucic  Lewis Ritchie

Zohorna  Ruzicka 

Andersdon  Hanifin

Weeger Tanev

Zadorov  Kylington

Markstrom

Vladar

Have you accounted for Milano and Ekins both being released? Oh and Wolf is back to the AHL today too 

kinda getting a bit of a clear picture for the roster but there are still guys to be trimmed  and then possibly a trade? Pretty sure there is gonna be a move soon, Malano was told there is a top 6 opening if he could grab it…he failed to do that so the opening is still there and I’m not seeing any of the current guys stepping up to take it either…leads me to think a trade or something is pending…I’m sure here are other teams looking to fill a hole after preseason too, hopefully is a D hole which we can accommodate and hopefully it’s a team with a surplus of RW

34 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

So 25 left

Mangipane  Kadri  Dube

Rooney Backlund  Coleman

Lucic  Lewis Ritchie

Zohorna  Ruzicka 

Andersdon  Hanifin

Weeger Tanev

Zadorov  Kylington

Markstrom

Vladar

Kylington counts as a roster player.

Unless he is suspended or in the substance thingy, he is counted.

We have issues right now with the roster.

I don't think Meloche and Valimaki have done enough to avoid the farm.

So, that implies 14F, 7D, and 2G.

We could hold off both waiving Valimaki and Meloche by not yet signing Stone.

We give Meloche a chance until Kylington comes back.

Then waive Meloche and sign Stone.

I'm not sure that's a reasonable alternative, since Stone has no income until signed.

The guys that have done the least but are almost certain to play or be on the roster are:

Lucic, Lewis and Ritchie.

Ruzicka has looked better of late.

Zohorna was fine, and actually impressive considering the lack of practice.

19 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Have you accounted for Milano and Ekins both being released? Oh and Wolf is back to the AHL today too 

kinda getting a bit of a clear picture for the roster but there are still guys to be trimmed  and then possibly a trade? Pretty sure there is gonna be a move soon, Malano was told there is a top 6 opening if he could grab it…he failed to do that so the opening is still there and I’m not seeing any of the current guys stepping up to take it either…leads me to think a trade or something is pending…I’m sure here are other teams looking to fill a hole after preseason too, hopefully is a D hole which we can accommodate and hopefully it’s a team with a surplus of RW

Zohorna (IMHO) beat out Milano and Eakin for a top 9 spot.

May not be entirely suited and Ruzie or Rooney may be better suited.

Or we have too many bottom line and no middle 6 guys.

4 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Yes but with a little work on personnel we could have the best line again..or maybe a better option is the best 1-2 line punch?

Move Toff for a better fit 1st line RW

move a D and find a better 2nd line RW that’s more of passer playmaker…

I get that it’s an assessment phase in pre-season but it’s awfully clear these are the 2 big issues that need to be addressed in order for the team to have a chance at building chemistry.

not that I hate toff but he’s not a fit in Cgy now and it not only hurts the team but also Toff…he can be a lot better on another team that fits his style more.

Hub/Lindholm/?

Manji/Kadri/?

Coleman/Backlund/Dube

Maybe Zohorna?/Ruzi/Rooney

Lucic

lewis

a few points, that top line could

do with a RW natural scorer and can keep up with Lindy and Huby…size and grit would be an added bonus…who’s available hat may fit that? And also that we can afford?

The second line could

do with a natural passer/playmaker RW, also who can keep pace with Kadri and Manji for speed and yet again size and grit wouldn’t hurt either…again who’s available that can fit that? Also that we can afford? 

that Coleman/Backlund/Dube line has seemingly had the best chemistry so far so, it only makes sense to run with it…also that’s a nightmare of a possession line for other teams…yes granted Dube dose get knocked off the puck a bit too easily to be considered a possession guy but Coleman and Backlund are and Dube is a monster on the fore check which compliments the possession of the other two…he gets the puck and the other two hold it…who knows maybe Dube may find some 

scoring touch again…both Coleman and Backlund are pretty good passers…send Dube in get the puck to Coleman..to Backlund while Dube sets up in front of the net…?

granted, in an ideal world I’d love to move Lucic for another player but…just not gonna happen…I’d actually be ok with Lucic as a spare and Lewis in the AHL as a mentor and call up guy but I’m not sure if Lewis can be sent down?

I’m not 100% convinced we need Lucic and Lewis to have a full crash and bang line every night but definitely as spares for when needed…especially in the post season, but rotate them in as needed…bonus is helps keep them healthy through the season and playoffs, they may actually be more effective when they do play less games? 

the goaltending is absolutely fine

the Defense is absolutely fine, but may need to sacrifice someone to address the RW issues…Although once Kylington is back it may not be a huge deal to say move Hanifin for a top line RW and Toffoil for a better 2nd line RW fit…not necessarily a better player but a player better suited to ply with Manji and Kadri 

it’s pretty the Major problem is chemo is just not there and it’s also pretty clear it’s the top 2 RW positions that are lacking…time to BT to address early on so the team

can build chemistry in those top 2 lines 

We either need to get another #1 RW or get a #1 C to move Lindholm to RW.

Maybe Huberdeau - Kadri - Lindholm.  After that acquire a new #2 Center using Hanifin or something.

48 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Mangipane  Kadri  Dube

Rooney Backlund  Coleman

Lucic  Lewis Ritchie

Zohorna  Ruzicka

I'm not really liking the lines as such.

Mangiapane is much more capable at top line.

You could then have Coleman on the Kadri line with Toffoli.

Gives you ?-Backlund-Dube.

Figure out the ?.  

If it's Rooney, then Ruzie is the default 4C.

If it's Ruzie, then the 4C is Rooney, which makes up for the other guys.

Just now, The_People1 said:

We either need to get another #1 RW or get a #1 C to move Lindholm to RW.

Maybe Huberdeau - Kadri - Lindholm.  After that acquire a new #2 Center using Hanifin or something.

Probably just a 2RW.

Mange on the top line, he would be in prime spots for shots.

Moving Lindholm would be a mistake, since he was one of the best 2-way C's in the league.

I would be okay with Pooly.

Wouldn't be that expensive in trade.

Excess depth at D.

The farm is growing more and we have two guys that are depth besides a guy we could trade.

1 hour ago, flames for life said:

Can’t say I’m overly impressed with the defence or the goaltending this last two games.  Either The Jets are Cup favourites this year, or we are not playing the game we should be.  Eleven shots and 5 goals is embarrassing!!

I think there's a lot that is going into the Team right now. 

it looks like we have how many new players? We are missing Kylington. So there are two or three new D. Three new forwards. I was worried the huge turnover would change things up so much it would take the first quarter of the season to get on the same page. I don't know how long it will take. My hope is that we can tread some water and be in the hunt when things come together.

looks like they're still finding chemistry, finding out who plays where on D and forwards. Kylington being away doesn't help. 

i just hope it doesn't make him regress, or lose his spot like missing camp did two years ago. He might be a different player than then. But hopefully it does not lose his spot or have him regress.