Training Camp 2022

Thebrewcrew

I mean it’s hard to be mad at the flames here. Kid tears his ACL during training and because of Covid missed a whole year and a half of development, his prime years to boot.  I don’t think he ever 100% recovered from the injury and once he found out his game wasn’t the same his confidence went to hell. He was just never the same player post injury as pre. He was dynamic in junior and even though it was a small sample, was their best dman against Colorado in the playoffs that year. He never even flashed that after his injury. 

Sometimes you just get Satoshi Nakamoto luck. I feel awful for the guy. 

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Even looking at some of his work back in Finland during lockdown still showed alot of promise. Hard to say where it went south for him but anyway best of luck to him. Maybe playing home games in front of 1500 fans will be good for him.

I honestly think he'll take off. His instincts do not resemble Sutter hockey (my guess), which is why Sutter isn't keen on him. He might flourish in another system where he can think offensively first. 

i think he's not quite getting Sutter system and kind of moves one way instinctively but then it's the wrong read... once he gets a system that he can play people will think he's a steal. 

I'm not too miffed. Just wish he was healthy early on in his career. 

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

Hope for the best for him.  Now we can sit back and do what we do best and criticizing scouting for not predicting him to injure himself in training, or seeing world events that would keep him from playing North American pro hockey for almost 2 years.  

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Hope he does well for himself.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Well as a positive it allows him to do what he wanted play more to grow, wish him well. The Flames as well this is a positive in the sense we had to waive a potentailly good D man because he was not able to make the roster based on who we have. 

i think this has been (potentially) the most positive Fan response to an outcome with this team. 

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

I don't really believe in the thought of development by playing above your head.  These are guys who've dominated every level they were at as kids and teenagers, and naturally are extremely competitive, so if they are losing, and playing a role in losing their confidence shrinks, so that's what you build up and you do that by trying to to put them in position to do so.  Its like the NFL why do a lot of high picked QB's fail these days, because they are put in that position because a last place team usually has several weaknesses.  Valimaki was a lot of bad luck and Bennett was an overrated prospect, it happens and while people may say it doesn't to the good teams look at Chicago's 2 top 10 picks before Toews and Kane, or LA and Pittsburgh's first top 5's in their rebuild, or Tampa's last top 5.  It just is what it is, no need to overanalyze it.

We are a win first franchise (not that that's a bad thing).  The NHL is not for developing players... Although I do feel that route doesn't work for all players because every player is different.  Some need to be babied along and hand held and stuff.

I’m not upset at all. I mean, it sucks that we lost an asset for nothing, but I never saw Vali ever playing for us full time. At worst, this is going to make me have to get more creative with trade proposals because I can’t throw him in anymore lol

This also gives us some cap space back, and almost every team is up against it. 

Just now, travel_dude said:

^^^^

I believe we have only $425k cap without Stone signed.

Pospisil is non-roster but his salary counts right now.

Unless they waive Mackey or Meloche, they don't have the cap or roster spot to sign him.

If the cap was going to prevent them from signing him why is he practicing in a regular spot? Why not waive Meloche already?

I’m not suggesting a move is coming but j think something is up. I read somewhere the flames are trying to see if they can use LTIR for Kylington. That would be a plausible reason for all of this too. 

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

If the cap was going to prevent them from signing him why is he practicing in a regular spot? Why not waive Meloche already?

I’m not suggesting a move is coming but j think something is up. I read somewhere the flames are trying to see if they can use LTIR for Kylington. That would be a plausible reason for all of this too. 

BT said it in the Sutter signing presser I think? Heard on Flames talk podcast a special weekend addition I think... 

36 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm not saying I totally understand the decisions or lack of them.

Perhaps they only wanted to waive Valimaki fearing that Meloche would also possibly get claimed.

Unless they resolve the Kylington thing, they are stuck having to waive someone to sign Stone.

I think they expected it to be possible, since Drouin did it.

But, as of now he is only a non-roster player but his salary counts.

At least I read that from Pike.

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not saying I totally understand the decisions or lack of them.

Perhaps they only wanted to waive Valimaki fearing that Meloche would also possibly get claimed.

Unless they resolve the Kylington thing, they are stuck having to waive someone to sign Stone.

I think they expected it to be possible, since Drouin did it.

But, as of now he is only a non-roster player but his salary counts.

At least I read that from Pike.

Which is all correct. I understand they cannot sign Stone right now but the fact that this is true and he is still skating in a regular spot is what makes me curious. 

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

We are a win first franchise (not that that's a bad thing).  The NHL is not for developing players... Although I do feel that route doesn't work for all players because every player is different.  Some need to be babied along and hand held and stuff.

I just think it's weird how we can look at Nolan Patrick and say injuries have derailed his career, him and Valimaki both sat out the same period, but with Valimaki there is someone to blame either player development or the player, don't know why some can't accept luck as an outcome, it plays a lot bigger role sports than it is ever credited for.

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Which is all correct. I understand they cannot sign Stone right now but the fact that this is true and he is still skating in a regular spot is what makes me curious. 

If Pospisil goes on season opening IR that would clear enough space to sign Stone. I would guess they are waiting to see what trades are available for a top 9 winger before they use the cap space.

Pospisil and Pettersen to my knowledge are both injured and can’t be demoted while injured (I believe is the rule). They may be waiting until last moment to see health of the players, whether they can declare healthy and send down, or place on IR.

Could be that the team is trying to determine which D they are willing to risk losing in order to sign Stone. (Mackey or Meloche).

Could also be a negotiation thing. Stone likely wants 2+ years after having multiple 1 year deals recently. Likely feels he has proven enough, especially loyalty wise, to deserve multiple years.

Just some thoughts on the situation.

56 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Pospisil and Pettersen to my knowledge are both injured and can’t be demoted while injured (I believe is the rule). They may be waiting until last moment to see health of the players, whether they can declare healthy and send down, or place on IR.

Could be that the team is trying to determine which D they are willing to risk losing in order to sign Stone. (Mackey or Meloche).

Could also be a negotiation thing. Stone likely wants 2+ years after having multiple 1 year deals recently. Likely feels he has proven enough, especially loyalty wise, to deserve multiple years.

Just some thoughts on the situation.

I think Stone is relatively happy with the current state.  He's a 7th D on this team when healthy, at best.  

That doesn't scream 2 year deal.

Pettersen is already on Season Opening IR.

He's waiver exempt so it doesn't matter so much.

Pospisil is injured, and I image they need to fix that as well.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

No doubt.  He has zero insurance right now and is blocking practice for the two guys you need to decide on.

Don't get me wrong, have no issue with Stone, but why practice?

You know what he is.

45 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

No doubt.  He has zero insurance right now and is blocking practice for the two guys you need to decide on.

Don't get me wrong, have no issue with Stone, but why practice?

You know what he is.

my guess is that it is because they will sign him they just are looking at other moves first or waiting for their cap to get sorted out. 
If he wasn’t in their plans they likely would have released him by now 

Stone not listed on opening night roster. This to me indicates they need to wait for IR to kick in before signing him (contract purposes rather than cap) or (long shot and very wild guess with nothing to back it up in any way) they may want him to become a player development coach for the Wranglers.

2 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Stone not listed on opening night roster. This to me indicates they need to wait for IR to kick in before signing him (contract purposes rather than cap) or (long shot and very wild guess with nothing to back it up in any way) they may want him to become a player development coach for the Wranglers.

I think they are waiting to see if they can find a trade for a forward, and don’t want to expose a defenseman to waivers till they have too.

3 hours ago, bosn111 said:

brad said they they have to get as close to the cap as possible for as much as LTIR to work. I don't know other logistics around the salary implications just that perhaps it's possible to get Kyl into LTIR. They are working on it  I guess. 

hope everything is ok with Kylington. Wishing him the best! Never know what is going on, but the human elements tend to do its things.