Training Camp 2022

Thebrewcrew

So I am hearing about Zary but not much about Pel is he not the player he was ;last yr? I was really hoping he was going to become a staple in the NHL this yr after all he was one of the top scorers in the AHL was he not for a rookie that is? 

1 hour ago, rocketdoctor said:

So far

No to Milano

No to Eakin

No to Valimaki

Yes to Ruzicka

Yes to Stone

Totally with you. Valimaki likely has zero trade value. I thought investing in him with the contract would pay dividends. It just isn’t the case.

Milano has been a firm no from me from the outset. There’s a reason botom-feeder ANA didn’t renew him. He’s just not good enough to crack our roster.

We tried.

Pelletier has been showing that he has good hands and a good head for the game but he hasn’t shown that he is ready to play with the big boys. He will likely do great in the A again, but he needs to add some lean muscle to his frame to compete in the NHL. I would guess he is a year or 2 away from making the big team. 

Ruzicka came in this year having added the muscle he needed so he is handling the opponents better. His skills may be affected by this new muscle which he needs to learn to work with it properly.

It is similar to Kylington last season. He came in fitter, stronger and was able to benefit from it. 

• Like 1

I think Ruzie is earming his spot, assuming he can play wing.  Can always move Kadri or Backlund to wing I suppose, but I prefer to use them at C.  Other than that, I don't see any of the kids being ready to start the year.  Zary is still a rookie with little time in the pros.  As ready as he looks, it's a tall ask to start him with the Flames.  Pelletier hasn't jumped off the page yet.  He could still, but not holding my breath.

Other than Ruzie, I think we have a full roster, with Ritchie taking up the extra spot.  Milano, to me, is kinda like Mangiapane was when he first played on the team.  Just not quite ready for the heavier game here.  I would have no issue signing him as an extra.  He could still break out.  Other than that, we should really look at a trade to get a top 6 winger.  I doubt we should be trading Hanifin at this point.  Too much of a loss to start a season.  No idea of Kylington's story, so I don't want to trade away needed depth.  Valimaki, if he has any value, should be first to go.  Dube can be considered in a trade that definitely makes us that much better.  Not for Pooly.  Only piece I would trade for Pooly is Valimaki.  Would consider adding a prospect we won't see in the NHL here.  

I’m not sure what Vegas’ plan is for this season… goalies out… Hague still unsigned… Kessel (RW) brought in… LTIR craziness… 

but I keep circling back to Marchessault. RHS/RW. He’s 31 with 2 seasons left on his contract and a 5 team NTC. His cap is $5M but he’s making $3.5M in actual salary… Can’t we “help” Vegas out somehow and take Marchy off their hands? He’d be a great fit IMO. Stone is their top-line RW, and Vegas has an abundance of players that can play RW. They even brought in Kessel who’s a RW. 

Thinking out loud: 

Hague (unsigned RFA) practicing elsewhere and not attending camp + Marchessault

for

Hanifin + Valimaki?

Vegas has apparently $2.64M of LTIR cap space remaining. Vegas gets 2 young defensemen, the trade off in age between Marchy and Hanifin has got to be appealing for Vegas, they both have the same term remaining and similar contracts, it strengthens Vegas’s D with their goalie issues, and Valimaki comes in already signed and ready to go. We get that elusive difference-making RW, and 1 d-man back to offset losing 2 to Vegas. Hanifin got 48 pts last year, Marchessault got 66. I think we can sell high on Hanifin, similar to how we sold high on Chucky. Hague then becomes our issue to re-sign, and with Valimaki’s departure we gain an additional $1.5M of cap space. Hague is the same age as Valimaki, a Canadian kid, who’s a bit bigger at 6’6”, and would fit Sutter’s mold. 

6 hours ago, tmac70 said:

What we do know is Tanev makes guys better he could shelter Mackey or Stone, Weegar supresses rushes and would be a good asset for Zadorov. Dube has been fine with Backs and Coleman put him back there. Zary has impressed me this camp but I am not sure he has the strength to win battles. IMHO Zary has out played Milano and Dube has out performed them both but is not a 2nd line guy. There is one guy that has been a huge disappointment thus far has been Toffoli, just not loving the fit. 

I think it would be either Dube or Coleman that would be elevated to the Kadri line. Could see it go either way. 

Sutter doesn't toss around praise lightly and he praised Zary after last night. Bodes well for him heading into the final week of camp. 

When Kylington is healthy, I could see Sutter going with a Zadorov-Weegar pairing. It spreads the wealth out on the blueline. Whichever pairing is going plays the most minutes

7 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think it would be either Dube or Coleman that would be elevated to the Kadri line. Could see it go either way. 

Sutter doesn't toss around praise lightly and he praised Zary after last night. Bodes well for him heading into the final week of camp. 

When Kylington is healthy, I could see Sutter going with a Zadorov-Weegar pairing. It spreads the wealth out on the blueline. Whichever pairing is going plays the most minutes

Yup Sutter has said that many times not just with D pairing but also with his forwards…he’s also said chemistry is the key to who plays with who, but his Ctrs are  quite literally his centre piece to his lines 

so far the only certainty he seems to have is

Hubs/Lindholm/?

?/Kadri/?

?/Backlund/?

Sutter said best fit with those guys between Dube, Manji, Coleman, Toffoil and  malano 

Sutter also left the door open to the fact that there may be a need to make

a player change depending on how the chemistry shakes out over training camp 

although he did have some good impressions of Zary I doubt Sutter plays him this season…I kinda get the feel Sutter wants to season him a year longer probably give Zary a full healthy season in the AHL to build his confidence by being a dominant player in the AHL…Having said that it’s quite the compliment for Sutter to give a young player praise so that’s a huge positive for Zary moving forward seems he could be a solid top 6 player in the future 

The days are gettign shorter and the deadline is fast approaching. There should be a ton of cuts coming soon. I would expect to see this trimmed down to the bare minimum in the next few days. The Kraken game should give us a 2/3 roster line up of what we could see. There really has not been a lot of stand outs, but a few plesant surprises. Mclain and Klapka seem to be also in the spot light. Not saying they make the club but with McLain he plays the right way. Brings it every night thats what gets you noticed, he isn't afraid to back up his work ethic and shows a agitated style, thumbs up to him. Klapka has been more than most expected. I think many thought of us thought great another tall prosect that will look like a giraffe on skates but the kid has some game. As for the PTO's been extremely dissappointed . Eakin's works hard but IHMO has to many risky plays and passes drives me nuts I can imagine Daryl would be pulling his hair out. Millano had expectations for this kid but he has very few bright spots to his game. Would like to see him with Kadri and another roster player to guage the fit. AS a projected top 9 forward he really doesn't jump off the page. 

Outside of Wolf the only prospect that stands out for me right now is Zary. I thought Ruzika had a better game against EDM but really never made an impact. Zary was noticable almost ever shift. Mackey has out performed Valimaki, However Stone has been by far the best guy outside of the regulars.  Many had high expectations for Pelts, I just didn't buy it, currently I just don't see the fit. A dark horse I was hoping for was Phillips but his size just kills him. When Sutter was asked about the top 9 winger position, I htink his repsonse has surprised no one, " it hasn't changed since camp started".  I am with the few that voted No to Eakin, Valimaki currently. Zary has a very slim outside chance and Milano based on NHL experiance will be given some slack. 

Not sure when Kylingotn is returning, if its not soon I can't see him on the opening day roster till he is caught up to speed. I see Stone and Rosie as alternatives right now, which leaves 2 spots one for alternate dman and one top 9 forward. let the count down begin

Zary has been the best prospect out there, followed by Schwindt.  But, let's not kid ourselves, the C spots are filled.  We could possibly use either of those kids on RW, but C is much more valuable to develop.  They are both at least a year from being able to handle a full season of NHL top 9 play.  They are working on the areas that need improvement, in Zary's case passing.  Identify the places these guys need to improve.  Pelletier has not really climbed the ladder yet, so I expect him to start on the farm.  He's a top 9 replacement, so hold off with him until a spot there is vacant.  He's not wowing yet, but then again he isn't really being showcased.  Should be setting him up with Backlund as a passer, which is where I see him being the most effective.

Milano has not shown his cards yet, but is also yet to play with top 6 talent, which is where he is best suited.  The best 3rd line we can hope for is Coleman-Backlund-Dube, and we shouldn;t try to "fix" that.  Let it dominate in 2 way play.  Try Milano woth Kadri or Lindholm and see if there are any sparks.

The D is really difficult to project without Kylington there.  Mackie and Meloche and Stone have had good and bad stuff, so it depends on how they want to structure it without Kylington.  Have all 3 until Kylington gets back?  Waive one now?

The cuts are coming, but I don't think many will be suprising.  The PTO will stay until the end.  The AHL guys will get sent down.  Ruzie will survive, either as a 4th line option or top 8 winger.  Phillips will not.  Zary will stay as long as they can keep him there, but will not be on the opening roster.  They will sign Milano, because Sutter will see something he likes and BT will want the depth option at a low cost.

Down to 15 forwards. 

Ritchie, being signed has that extra forward spot locked up I would think.

It's then down to Milano/Eakin/Ruzicka. It is possible the Flames carry 14 F. With the AHL team now being in town, I think they mill mostly run a 22 man roster, try to accrue as much cap as possible, 13 F, 7 D.

Bunch of cuts made today. No major surprises. The only 3 who I could have seen getting a longer look were Zary, Schwindt and Duehr,

15 F, 10 D and 3 G left in camp. 3 day to day injuries as well.

Huberdeau

Lindholm

Toffoli

Mangiapane

Kadri

Dube

Backlund

Coleman

Lucic

Rooney

Lewis

Ritchie

Ruzicka

Milano (PTO)

Eakins (PTO)

Hanifin

Anderson

Weegar

Tanev

Zadorov

Meloche

Stone (PTO)

Valimaki

Mackey

Poirier

Markstrom

Vladar

Wolf

Gilbert

Petterssen

Pospisil

If the Flames go 13/7/2 for 22, leaving a roster spot for Kylington then the Flames will need to drop 2 F, 3 D and 1 G plus the 3 injured players.

At this point, I am guessing they release Eakins and Milano from PTOs. Milano hasn’t done anything more than Ruzicka and Eakins is up against Lucic, Rooney, Ritchie and Lewis for bottom line and spare F and he doesn’t really make a big jump compared to them.

I’m guessing Stone gets signed as 7th D. Meloche is basically a younger, cheaper Gudbranson. Solid bottom pair. Likely means Valimaki, Mackey and Poirier get cut.

Wolf getting more experience but will eventually go down to the Wranglers.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It still feels like there is a trade coming, or maybe even a waiver pick up. There is a top 9 spot there for the taking and I am not sure any of Milano, Eakin or Ruzicka have stepped up and taken the job yet.

1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

If the Flames go 13/7/2 for 22, leaving a roster spot for Kylington then the Flames will need to drop 2 F, 3 D and 1 G plus the 3 injured players.

At this point, I am guessing they release Eakins and Milano from PTOs. Milano hasn’t done anything more than Ruzicka and Eakins is up against Lucic, Rooney, Ritchie and Lewis for bottom line and spare F and he doesn’t really make a big jump compared to them.

I’m guessing Stone gets signed as 7th D. Meloche is basically a younger, cheaper Gudbranson. Solid bottom pair. Likely means Valimaki, Mackey and Poirier get cut.

Wolf getting more experience but will eventually go down to the Wranglers.

I think they would like to protect Meloche, but with Kylington not being on IR, I am beginning to think they will waive him.  As little as his value is, I think Valimaki is on the verge of being traded.  They could sign Stone, then waive him.  That would be strange but I don't think that teams would claim him.  They pretty much know he won't report.  As far as CGY is concerned, he would just practice with the Flames.  Call him up if needed or in other words activate him.  That allows them to keep Mackey, who looks ready.

I think Eakin is done myself.  They are using Milano with Ruzie and Ritchie as a way of seeing what else he can do.  No, he hasn't stepped up in a top 6 role yet, but they need to see what he has.  

If we go with 7D and 14F, then I think Milano gets signed.  More of a GM pick than a coach one.  Ruzicka is a lock in my mind. If we make a trade for a top 9 player, then Milano is not being signed.

What are the rules roster and cap wise if a player is missing time due to personal leave? Since they are not IR, is there another list they could be on that is effectively the same?

I don’t think this happens extremely often, but for example if a player goes to substance rehab, family illness, or similar. I know players can be suspended by the team for failure to show up, or severely out of shape. Just curious about the ramifications for some such situation.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Zary has been the best prospect out there, followed by Schwindt.  But, let's not kid ourselves, the C spots are filled.  We could possibly use either of those kids on RW, but C is much more valuable to develop.  They are both at least a year from being able to handle a full season of NHL top 9 play.  They are working on the areas that need improvement, in Zary's case passing.  Identify the places these guys need to improve.  Pelletier has not really climbed the ladder yet, so I expect him to start on the farm.  He's a top 9 replacement, so hold off with him until a spot there is vacant.  He's not wowing yet, but then again he isn't really being showcased.  Should be setting him up with Backlund as a passer, which is where I see him being the most effective.

Milano has not shown his cards yet, but is also yet to play with top 6 talent, which is where he is best suited.  The best 3rd line we can hope for is Coleman-Backlund-Dube, and we shouldn;t try to "fix" that.  Let it dominate in 2 way play.  Try Milano woth Kadri or Lindholm and see if there are any sparks.

The D is really difficult to project without Kylington there.  Mackie and Meloche and Stone have had good and bad stuff, so it depends on how they want to structure it without Kylington.  Have all 3 until Kylington gets back?  Waive one now?

The cuts are coming, but I don't think many will be suprising.  The PTO will stay until the end.  The AHL guys will get sent down.  Ruzie will survive, either as a 4th line option or top 8 winger.  Phillips will not.  Zary will stay as long as they can keep him there, but will not be on the opening roster.  They will sign Milano, because Sutter will see something he likes and BT will want the depth option at a low cost.

The statement “Milano hasn’t shown his cards, but needs to play with too 6 guys to show his best”, causes me concern.  A PTO trying for any spot should be playing his butt off to prove himself too valuable to dismiss.  Milano has been no where near that attitude.  Imo, he needs to be shown the door, along with Eaken.

26 minutes ago, flames for life said:

The statement “Milano hasn’t shown his cards, but needs to play with too 6 guys to show his best”, causes me concern.  A PTO trying for any spot should be playing his butt off to prove himself too valuable to dismiss.  Milano has been no where near that attitude.  Imo, he needs to be shown the door, along with Eaken.

Well, if they are truly looking for a top 6 RW for Kadri and Mangiapane, then they need to try that don't they?  I get that Dube looks to have a shot, but that messes up one line we could be sure about.  TBH, I don't really care if they sign Milano or not, but that reduces the possible people to grab a top 6/top 9 spot by one.  If we don't have that player signed now, we better be getting one in trade.  

From SB Nation

Assigned to the Wranglers freely were:

37- Yan Kuznetsov (ELC)

38- Brett Sutter (AHL Contract)

43- Adam Klapka (ELC)

47- Connor Zary (ELC)

49- Jakob Pelletier (ELC)

71- Walker Duehr (ELC)

75- Mitch McLain (AHL Contract)

79- Cole Schwindt (ELC)

98- Ilya Solovyov (ELC)

Players placed on waivers and who can be claimed by any NHL team for the next 24 hours are:

35- Oscar Dansk

41- Matthew Phillips

46- Colton Poolman

57- Nick DeSimone

64- Ben Jones

61- Clark Bishop

Remaining in camp, Calgary now has 15 forwards fighting for 13 spots, 10 defencemen fighting for 7, and 3 goalies. 4 players are currently are on the injured or personal matters reserve.

Forwards:

10- Jonathan Huberdeau

11- Mikael Backlund

15- Sonny Milano

17- Milan Lucic

20- Blake Coleman

21- Kevin Rooney

22- Trevor Lewis

28- Elias Lindholm

29- Dillon Dube

50- Cody Eakin

63- Adam Ruzicka

73- Tyler Toffoli

88- Andrew Mangiapane

91- Nazem Kadri

Defencemen:

3- Connor Mackey

4- Rasmus Andersson

6- Juuso Valimaki

8- Chris Tanev

16- Nikita Zadorov

26- Michael Stone

52- MacKenzie Weegar

53- Nicholas Meloche

55- Noah Hanifin

72- Jeremie Poirier

Goaltenders:

25- Jacob Markstrom

32- Dustin Wolf

80- Dan Vladar

Injured Reserve:

48- Dennis Gilbert

58- Oliver Kylington

76- Martin Pospisil

78- Emilio Pettersen

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Dube should be 2RW.

Sutter likes his abilities, but isn't sold on any particular spot.  To me he looks better at RW over LW or C.  I would like to see some different options, but Kadri and Mangiapane haven't played together yet, so need to try a few things.  The 2RW spot depends on who the 1RW is. 

We will get a look at Dube with Kadri on RW tonight, bbut I sure would like to see some different options for top line.

Right now:

Hubie-Lindholm-Toffoli

Mange-Kadri-Dube

Rooney-Backlund-Coleman

Like to see:

Hubie-Lindholm-Mange

Dube-Kadri-Toffoli

Ruzicka-Backlund-Coleman

Or keeping one line from last year:

Hubie-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Ruzicka-Kadri-Toffoli

Coleman-Backlund-Dube

The last option should not be seen as a demotion for Dube.  Playing with Backlund is one of the toughest assignments there is.  Him and Coleman can play either side.  Backlund seems to really suit Dube's game, in that he carries the puck in with speed.  Dube tends to go to the slot.  I slotted Ruzicka in on the wing because he hasn't managed to get his faceoff numbers up and he's a big body.  Could learn from Backlund or provide some passing to Toffoli.

So far, Sutter is forcing Toffoli on the top line, and it's not really working yet.  Takes time, but you need to have some other look in case it doesn't work.

EDIT - I used Ruzicka because we have 4 x 4th liners.  Roonie looks good, but I think he helps the 4th line with stability.  So far, no other winger has shown to be capable of middle 6.  Milano has 2 games after tonight to prove he's worth a contract.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Alex Barre-Boulet is on waivers again, he just seems like another skilled guy who can't find room in Tampa but if someone gave him a chance could be a top 6 guy.

I think he looked good in Tampa.

Not sure about this Zohorna guy.

Are we looking to build a roster of the biggest players available?

Seems to have decent Czech and AHL numbers, the latter being limited action.