Training Camp 2022

Thebrewcrew

The one thing I will point out with Milano is his qualifying offer was going to be 1.8million. Even with his season last year that is a tough one so I don't blame the Ducks at all not qualifying him it was a smart play. 

Ducks also really sheltered him last year and gave him a ton of ozone starts. I think the profile of him looks to be a tweeners. Too skilled for a 4th line role but not well rounded enough for a top 9 role. Curious to see what holds up and if the Flames can find a line that works for him. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

The one thing I will point out with Milano is his qualifying offer was going to be 1.8million. Even with his season last year that is a tough one so I don't blame the Ducks at all not qualifying him it was a smart play. 

Ducks also really sheltered him last year and gave him a ton of ozone starts. I think the profile of him looks to be a tweeners. Too skilled for a 4th line role but not well rounded enough for a top 9 role. Curious to see what holds up and if the Flames can find a line that works for him. 

I'm sure if no one saw the potential or thought he couldnt adapt to the sutter system he'd be somewhere else by now. I cant see mgmt going in blind but in reality, as a PTO theres really no risk.

12 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Interesting to see Pospisil with the big group. I think he gets overlooked as a prospect. He might not ever be a top 6 forward, but he plays with an edge and has enough skill that he isn’t a black hole offensively. He can also play all 3 forward positions. He will be with the Wranglers, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he got into a few games this year with the Flames.

I felt we should've rewarded Pospisil with a roster spot on opening night last year.  He came out of nowhere at camp as the best player for every game until the very last one where he tired out (I believe he played back to back nights).  Wasn't fair for him.

I'm not surprised he's getting some looks early.  He has to go through waivers.  The Flames want to get a good final look at him before risking him through waivers this year.

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

Cools didn't know about the 1.8-mil.  He might ask for 1.8-mil if he makes the Flames.

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Cools didn't know about the 1.8-mil.  He might ask for 1.8-mil if he makes the Flames.

If he does he won't get it, but from what I understand it's pretty common that players on PTOs who actually have a shot at making the team they have those discussions in advance so they know the salary range. Wouldn't surprise me if they already have an agreed upon salary if Milano makes the team. 

23 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Interesting to see Pospisil with the big group. I think he gets overlooked as a prospect. He might not ever be a top 6 forward, but he plays with an edge and has enough skill that he isn’t a black hole offensively. He can also play all 3 forward positions. He will be with the Wranglers, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he got into a few games this year with the Flames.

If he could stay healthy I think he'll play games in the NHL. That's really the knock right now, from what i've seen/heard, he has the style of game to make him a really good bottom 6 player. He's just had some really bad injury luck. 

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

If he does he won't get it, but from what I understand it's pretty common that players on PTOs who actually have a shot at making the team they have those discussions in advance so they know the salary range. Wouldn't surprise me if they already have an agreed upon salary if Milano makes the team. 

Ya true, a range or a firm number should have already been discussed.  I wonder if he not getting signed this summer meant his asking price was too high.  And then taking a PTO with the Flames for a top 9 role means we are okay to meet the asking price as long as he makes the team.  We will find out.

27 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Assumed Dube would come ripped and ready.

I expect a really good year for him. Stop trading him.lol

2 of those guys are 30+.  In years past guys like Gio and Frolik were tops in fitness. I wonder if thats a league wide trend or just a Flames thing?

Edit:  If that makes Dube stronger on the puck I think youll notice him on the ice alot more.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Assumed Dube would come ripped and ready.

I expect a really good year for him. Stop trading him.lol

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

2 of those guys are 30+.  In years past guys like Gio and Frolik were tops in fitness. I wonder if thats a league wide trend or just a Flames thing?

Edit:  If that makes Dube stronger on the puck I think youll notice him on the ice alot more.

Wasn't Dube one of the most fit last season too?  The kids got great work ethic and commitment.  

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Wasn't Dube one of the most fit last season too?  The kids got great work ethic and commitment.  

i think he was. I just hope he worked on his center of gravity and lower because it's the legs that keep you up when having the puck. But also not holding on to the puck a split second or two too long. 

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Being the most fit is great but did he gain the strength required to make a differance. Their is a huge differance between fitness training and strength training. 

23 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

He also grows the best beard.

In spite of that, I'd move him without thinking twice. Certainly not for nothing, but I'd include him in almost any deal.

Love.

Teehee.

He should have more value than Valimaki.

My issue with the player is that he doesn't seem to take any steps ahead.

Perhaps I undervalue his play a bit, but I find him weak on the entry.

I hope he can develop a strong lower body and use it to stay upright.

He should be in the same realm by now as Breadman.

Something is just missing in his game.

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Teehee.

He should have more value than Valimaki.

My issue with the player is that he doesn't seem to take any steps ahead.

Perhaps I undervalue his play a bit, but I find him weak on the entry.

I hope he can develop a strong lower body and use it to stay upright.

He should be in the same realm by now as Breadman.

Something is just missing in his game.

i wonder if on entries, getting the puck in certain positions limit him, or carrying it too long without passing it for another player to gain more openings. 

with Gaudreau we were a team that held the puck a bit too long. Maybe the team can use a new philosophy to move the puck faster. Maybe Huberdeau can set an example of how to dish it right away. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

i think he was. I just hope he worked on his center of gravity and lower because it's the legs that keep you up when having the puck. But also not holding on to the puck a split second or two too long. 

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Being the most fit is great but did he gain the strength required to make a differance. Their is a huge differance between fitness training and strength training. 

Ya I'm just thinking if he was one of the most fit last season and it didn't make a difference to his ability to take contact and keep possession of the puck then why would it make a difference this season?

He's great carrying the puck through the neutral zone but once he meets the slightest contact inside the offensive zone, the puck is lost.  Either get rid of it earlier or dump it in. 

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

He also grows the best beard.

In spite of that, I'd move him without thinking twice. Certainly not for nothing, but I'd include him in almost any deal.

Love.

Dube for Puljujarvi would be a win for both teams.  Oilers put Mike Smith on LTIR so they should be cap compliant now.

3 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I tend to think its the effect Gio had as a leader. 

It is now being carried on by Backlund.

I've heard a lot of players and announcers and such talk about the work ethic of Gio off the ice to always be in pristine condition.

When your captain does these things other players (and especially the leadership core) take notice.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Dube for Puljujarvi would be a win for both teams.  Oilers put Mike Smith on LTIR so they should be cap compliant now.

It makes sense other than the fact it still doesn't give them much flexibility.  

Right now they have $167.00 in cap space.

They have two guys on PTO (Demers and Jake).

Broburg sucks, so they could sign one of them if they send Broburg down.

I think we have to consider trading a LHS for a RHS.

Too few in the top 9.

We probably regret losing Dube, but he's not growing as a player much to this point.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

It makes sense other than the fact it still doesn't give them much flexibility.  

Right now they have $167.00 in cap space.

They have two guys on PTO (Demers and Jake).

Broburg sucks, so they could sign one of them if they send Broburg down.

I think we have to consider trading a LHS for a RHS.

Too few in the top 9.

We probably regret losing Dube, but he's not growing as a player much to this point.

A good line needs at least one shooter, one passer, and one to get into the dirty areas.  Puljujarvi gets to the front of the net very often.  I think Mangiapane can be a good shooter and Kadri a good passer.  Putting someone like Dube on RW or even Milano doesn't seem to work on paper.

8 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

First camp cuts made, no surprises. Junior players sent down and ATOs cut.

Having scored in the prospects tourney, I could have seen Sedoff getting a longer look, but the team didn’t see enough from him to keep 

Sedoff might get a chance at Wrangler camp to see if he can get an AHL deal. We aren’t that deep a defense on the Wranglers.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Sedoff might get a chance at Wrangler camp to see if he can get an AHL deal. We aren’t that deep a defense on the Wranglers.

Is Sedoff RHS RD?  We have like 7 LD or something in the farm and 1 RD... + Meloche/Stone would add 1 more if they start the season down there.  We need more RHS RD.

The news release says Sedoff was released from his ATO which to me means gone from the team. To go to the Wranglers he would need to be signed and demoted, not outright released.

I guess they could sign him to AHL contract, but if that’s the case, they would have already done it.