Training Camp 2022

Thebrewcrew

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I do too but I will admit bias I've been a fan of Dube since he was 16. 

I think there is always danger too in looking for the camp standout. I think that is a trap you get sucked into more often than not and we forget that these guys are getting thrown in situations they won't see in the regular season. Have to be careful drawing conclusions based on pre season games. Chuck Kobasew would have had a Rocket Richard if that was the case. 

I used to do preseason games and camps quite a bit. I know what you mean. I also feel the first 15 games of the season are meh, the NHL hockey still hasn’t fully kicked in and a few really average players might throw up 8 goals and finish the entire season with 12.

On the Dube front, I’m just a hockey fan. He’s highly skilled in my eyes, he’s a good player. Yet it feels like he gets treated like expectations aren’t realistic so he’s a throwaway in every trade proposal.

I think that’s a huge mistake. He’s gonna be 26-27 one day, and no one will be drawing Ryan/Byron comparisons.

My opinion. 

“He doesn’t fit” is another argument. Fit what? He can play RW, everyone wants one. He’s one. He wasn’t Rantanen at 23.

Poor playoffs…compared to who? Who did much?

New season, give the young guy a chance. Stop trading a young player with 25/30 55 pt potential.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I used to do preseason games and camps quite a bit. I know what you mean. I also feel the first 15 games of the season are meh, the NHL hockey still hasn’t fully kicked in and a few really average players might throw up 8 goals and finish the entire season with 12.

On the Dube front, I’m just a hockey fan. He’s highly skilled in my eyes, he’s a good player. Yet it feels like he gets treated like expectations aren’t realistic so he’s a throwaway in every trade proposal.

I think that’s a huge mistake. He’s gonna be 26-27 one day, and no one will be drawing Ryan/Byron comparisons.

My opinion. 

“He doesn’t fit” is another argument. Fit what? He can play RW, everyone wants one. He’s one. He wasn’t Rantanen at 23.

Poor playoffs…compared to who? Who did much?

New season, give the young guy a chance. Stop trading a young player with 25/30 55 pt potential.

Tied for last on the team with one assist.  Not that we did much, but he was playing middle 6.  

Dube is like every other guy outside the top 5 players.

Gotta show that you are worthy of extra minutes or a consistent spot.

The level of play determines if you move up or down.

If you can do that on a wing or at C, then you get the minutes.

Regarding trades, it's all we do here.

This player for that, this package for that.

Had anyone suggested Tkachuk for Hubie/Weegar/Schwinny and a 1st, it would have been scoffed at.

Some trade suggestions are sideways.

It's not personal.

Some players get more props than others.

I would prefer to trade a guy like Valimaki that looks like he's getting waived in October.

It's not that I think he can't become a good player, just that the runway gets shorter.

Kylington effectively took his spot last year.

Meloche and/or Stone might do that this year.

The Coilers game. Coilers played a AHL squad and 3/4th liners. As the game progressed you could see the rust coming off of Weegar and Hubie. Kadri is so good position wise and his line of Backs and Coleman were good all night. I get it is preseason but how good does that Sutter, Mclain and Jones line look. Send Lewis and Lucic to the farm team and leave them up, if you ask me. Defense Zadorov looks good, Solov was soild as well couple blunders but he looks good. Stone has been impressive to me the guy is just a rock back there. Getting shots through from the point is an art that he does so well, and it just creates way more oppurtunities. Weegar this guy is very good, he needs to be signed like NOW or this will be an gaff by Tre. Its early but our D and goaltending are a position of strength this season. 

There has been no one in the prospect side of things impress enough to make you open your eyes out side of Wolf. The largest surpise for me is Mclain, Sutter and Jones trio, they are far better option than Lucic, Lewis and Rooney. There should be some more cuts coming, with the acceptionof Zary, Rosie, Duhr and Phillips I can't see the reason to keep them up. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

The Coilers game. Coilers played a AHL squad and 3/4th liners. As the game progressed you could see the rust coming off of Weegar and Hubie. Kadri is so good position wise and his line of Backs and Coleman were good all night. I get it is preseason but how good does that Sutter, Mclain and Jones line look. Send Lewis and Lucic to the farm team and leave them up, if you ask me. Defense Zadorov looks good, Solov was soild as well couple blunders but he looks good. Stone has been impressive to me the guy is just a rock back there. Getting shots through from the point is an art that he does so well, and it just creates way more oppurtunities. Weegar this guy is very good, he needs to be signed like NOW or this will be an gaff by Tre. Its early but our D and goaltending are a position of strength this season. 

There has been no one in the prospect side of things impress enough to make you open your eyes out side of Wolf. The largest surpise for me is Mclain, Sutter and Jones trio, they are far better option than Lucic, Lewis and Rooney. There should be some more cuts coming, with the acceptionof Zary, Rosie, Duhr and Phillips I can't see the reason to keep them up. 

While Lewis could be sent to the AHL, Lucic can't due to the NMC.  Agree that Lucic was bad, but he looks like he's still recovering from injury.  I really think there is enough talent that he could be 13th and play games where you need the toughness, also to save him a bit of wear and tear.  

This really wasn't much of a game to project any of the team.  They beat a team they should beat 10/10 times.  The prospects playing aren't NHL bound any time soon.  Sutter is a tweener, and his experience will be useful in the AHL.  Daddy is too hard on his kids to play him over a prospect or other vet.  So far, not many of the prospects look to be a lock to make the team.  Valimaki seems about 8th or 9th, but the cost to waive him is $550k wasted cap.  Ruzie hasn't shown up on top of his game yet, but he should be playing with vets to see how close he is.  Zary looks close, but I would be careful with him.  Poirier is close or seems that way, but we don't need him this year.  Pelletier still hasn't done much on offense, but looks good defensively (mostly).  Phillips looks good, but has to play better than guys taller and bigger.  The PTO guys might end up signing, but more from BT than Sutter's early assessment.  Eakin is good on the dot, but hasn't shown much.  Milano makes some plays but hasn't stood out.  Stone is going to get a deal, which is just.  

I have liked Rooney.  I think Mangiapane should play with Hubie and stick Toffoli with Kadri, unless we happen to make a trade for a top 6 RW.  It's gonna take some time before Toffoli figures out Hubie, and it could work out, but I think we have to be ready to play our 3 best players on the top line.  We shall see.

Valimaki has really regressed. It’s a shame, he showed a lot of promise in his rookie season. 

I’m a Meloche fan, with the disclaimer that I love dmen that play D effectively and quietly. He plays a very safe game, plays angles right, is physical and gets the puck out safely. 

I think we can carry 8 dmen effectively.

Weegar, Anderson, Hanifin, Tanev, Kylington, Zadorov, Stone and Meloche.

That’s a solid D corps.

We’re going places. Even the A roster looks really good.

This year is going to be superfun to watch.

And Detroit looks pretty solid too.😬

I’m jacked for this season.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Valimaki has really regressed. It’s a shame, he showed a lot of promise in his rookie season. 

I’m a Meloche fan, with the disclaimer that I love dmen that play D effectively and quietly. He plays a very safe game, plays angles right, is physical and gets the puck out safely. 

I think we can carry 8 dmen effectively.

Weegar, Anderson, Hanifin, Tanev, Kylington, Zadorov, Stone and Meloche.

That’s a solid D corps.

We’re going places. Even the A roster looks really good.

This year is going to be superfun to watch.

And Detroit looks pretty solid too.😬

I’m jacked for this season.

Cap-wise, I'm not sure what we can do.

With Pelletier and Valimaki sent to AHL, that gives us $3.2M available.

That's with 12F and 6D.

Meloche + Stone = $1.6M remaining.

Milano = about $800k remaining.

Milano hasn't done much yet, but it's not really a good read.

I would think his upside is higher than Eakin.

We need top 9 depth more than another depth C near the end of his career.

I am fine with both Meloche and Stone for depth.

Meloche understands defense and Stone is more than a 3rd pairing guy.

He can take bigger minutes and doesn't look out of place.

He's the guy you can park for a month and he never misses a beat.

Looks like they are sending Hubie etc. to EDM for the preseason game.

I think it's not a bad idea, Toffee near some reps to get going.

Gives some time at home to get Mangiapane used to Kadri.

I would hazard a guess on the lines:

Hubie-Lindy-Toffoli

Milano-Zary/Eakin-Dube

Ruzicka-Schwindt-Eakin/Zary

Bishop-McLain-Duehr

Probably more likely to see Eakin on line 2 as a more NHL ready line.

Big game for some defensemen. Valimaki, Mackey, Meloche, and Stone basically fighting for two spots right now, which will go down to one when Kylington comes back. Who will separate themselves. I would say that Stone has the inside track on one of the spots. 

It will be really interesting to see how they handle the waiver situation. Do they send someone down early while teams are still figuring out what they have or do they wait and see if they can trade any of these players.

48 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Looks like they are sending Hubie etc. to EDM for the preseason game.

I think it's not a bad idea, Toffee near some reps to get going.

Gives some time at home to get Mangiapane used to Kadri.

I would hazard a guess on the lines:

Hubie-Lindy-Toffoli

Milano-Zary/Eakin-Dube

Ruzicka-Schwindt-Eakin/Zary

Bishop-McLain-Duehr

Probably more likely to see Eakin on line 2 as a more NHL ready line.

The groupings make sense based on what Sutter has said. The top line needs more reps together,   The D is where the largest battle is, Personally  I just think Stone has been far superior than the others, he gives you a few more tangibles and has been proven to be a great solider.  What we really need to see is what Milano has or if its worth the contract. I like Eakins game just can't see him making it, where is the fit unless your moving out Lewis or Lucic.  

This to me is the last game to prove who or what you are.  Unless Valimaki, Mackey, Duehr, Ruzicka and Zary knock it out of the park, this could be the final curtain. 

26 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Big game for some defensemen. Valimaki, Mackey, Meloche, and Stone basically fighting for two spots right now, which will go down to one when Kylington comes back. Who will separate themselves. I would say that Stone has the inside track on one of the spots. 

It will be really interesting to see how they handle the waiver situation. Do they send someone down early while teams are still figuring out what they have or do they wait and see if they can trade any of these players.

Unless something earth shattering happens, I would expect BT doesn't waive Ruzie.  A lot of players were waived yesterday, but none of them were really NHL level players.  Valimaki has to have a great camp as intensity ramps up, and tonight's tilt against basically the Oilers opening day roster, is his greatest test.  Would prefer to see him play with Stone, as that would showcase him with a solid D player from last year.  Meloche has stood out on his own, so I don't think he needs to do anything but play solid D.

I think it's very possible that we go with Meloche and Stone as 7 and 8.  One of them is 6 until Kylington comes back.  I just don't see the open spot for Valimaki.  I think they hold off waiving him while working on a trade.  It's riskier than waiving him now, since teams will expect him to be waived.  Overall though, waiving is low risk due to the cap hit.  

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Ruzie has to be waived, so I think that's a non-starter.

Sutter hasn’t exactly been talking glowingly about Ruzicka so far, but that maybe just to push him.

A lot of it depends on if they sign one of or both Milano and Eakin. 

There just might not be room for Ruzicka on this team. There will be a lot of good players on waivers to start the season, so I would be a little surprised if he was claimed. I actually think Valimaki has a better chance of getting claimed based on his pedigree.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Sutter hasn’t exactly been talking glowingly about Ruzicka so far, but that maybe just to push him.

A lot of it depends on if they sign one of or both Milano and Eakin. 

There just might not be room for Ruzicka on this team. There will be a lot of good players on waivers to start the season, so I would be a little surprised if he was claimed. I actually think Valimaki has a better chance of getting claimed based on his pedigree.

I think the chances of a League minimum salary big C stands a better chance of being claimed.

Valimaki is a bit rich to take on.

Sutter is a bit down on Ruzie, but that's a process to get there for him.

Has to be consistent, which is really what Sutter is looking for.

The high end skill shows up at times, just not every night.

Milano isn't going to break the bank, but he's an option for top 6 wing.

Would like to see how he would work with Mange and Kadri to get a sense.

Eakin is one of those players that could be signed, but you waive him to gain flexibility.

I suspect Sutter likes his faceoff ability; another Richardson type.

With Ritchie, Ruzicka, Milano, Eakin and Pelletier all looking for a spot, we can't keep them all.

I don't think BT will waive Ritchie since EDM wanted to sign him to a PTO.

They know what he is and would love to snag him.

12F without Pelletier and Ritchie.

Signing Eakin and Milano creates more problems.

We can't have 14F and 8D, with Stone and Meloche, in case Kylington is out for a bit. 

Would be fine with Milano as 13th F, keep up Stone and Meloche.

If Kylington comes back soon, we have an extra pair/spares to work with.

1 minute ago, zima said:

Are Milano or eakin showing any thing that would make them worth signing? Seems sutter has done more than either of them plus we haven't really given Phillips a chance to show case himself I don't think.

One game is all we are really seeing.

Ruzie, Milano and Eakin are being evaluated against a top roster.

Huberdeau, Toffoli, Dube and Rooney are there so we don't spend the entire game defending.

You will likely see Phillips with some vets to get a better sense.

Same with Pelletier.

The first year AHL players and try outs will be sent down first.

Look at the 3rd group.