2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

On 9/9/2022 at 12:39 AM, robrob74 said:

i can see how we could use both. I don't mind vets if they can still play. I liked what Lewis did most of the time. could use a tad more speed though. 

i want a deeper prospect pool but usually comes with drafting and good scouting. We've been a bit spendsy on draft picks and trading down is a dangerous game. But it also tells me (my opinion) they didn't scout well enough. Some would say the prospects are too close in talent to judge. But I'd have gone D instead of Zary... just me? Our speed at C, instead of an average skater.

They were drafting for players with high hockey IQ not speed…Zary has a high hockey IQ and is a well

rounded player good at all areas of the game…not great but a solid good “safe” pick.

i suspect that the “safe” pick comes

from a few factors…one being having been burned a few times on taking a risky pick and the other has a lot to do

with trading picks away and having a lot 

of picks well out of top 10 

having said that, the team will at some point need to address speed, more

D prospects, and a heavy focus on RW…

i suspect that will happen in about 3-5 years when Huby Kadri, Lindhom etc are all mid 30’s and start to decline, for now they are all in so I suspect a few more 30 year old signings and or trades to round out the group…probably and hopefully RW but it’s clear they are heavy on veterans…drafting and scouting/rebuilding or succession planing is a

low priority for the near future 

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Maybe a kid line,

Pelletier - Ruzicka - Schmidt

As good as they all are, and they’re all so close to being ready. But I think having them as our number 1 line in …Calgary (lol) with the Wranglers, and then a number 2 of Phillips, Zary, Duehr on the second. That’s a very good top 6. Let them shine, and be fully ready for next year to graduate a whole line. 

With that being said, I don’t know who to offer a PTO to, but another guy I was wondering about was Cody Glass in Nash. Highly touted prospect who had an injury to deal with, and he was drafted by Vegas, and they’re terrible at developing thus far. But he is a big body who forechecks hard, plays a good 200’ game, and is an excellent passer. I wonder if we could try him on the wing with Naz and Mang?

I wonder what it would take in a trade? 

14 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Hard not to like Pelletier,  but also hard not to he concerned that Sutter won't chew him up and spit him out.    

Perhaps Sutter was the reason why Johnny and Matty decided to move on.

Not because he chewed them up, but because they knew more than him.

Or thought they did.

Two guys with so much talent and they couldn't take it to the next level.

In other words, do the things you need to do to win.

Ask Coleman what that means.

I don't worry about Pelts, since he is exactly the kind of kid that gets it.

He never seems satixfied with just getting to a spot, wants to do more.

I don't think there is a ceiling for him, at least from him striving to be better.

He might be the most under rated player from that draft.

Here have some kool ade

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Perhaps Sutter was the reason why Johnny and Matty decided to move on.

Not because he chewed them up, but because they knew more than him.

Or thought they did.

Two guys with so much talent and they couldn't take it to the next level.

In other words, do the things you need to do to win.

Ask Coleman what that means.

I don't worry about Pelts, since he is exactly the kind of kid that gets it.

He never seems satixfied with just getting to a spot, wants to do more.

I don't think there is a ceiling for him, at least from him striving to be better.

He might be the most under rated player from that draft.

Here have some kool ade

Completely agree with you 100% on Gaudreau and Tkachuk.   I just wish we could have all openly said that when they were Flames.   At very least in the off-season.    Glad we can now.

The excitement around Pelletier is healthy,  but also an indication of us having a lack of prospects to get excited about.   I won't knock him or place a ceiling on him.   Just pointing that out.   And if he does struggle I will look more at our system than him.   Because there is no reason a player like him can't be developed well.

I think that Eakin is a Brad Richardson replacement if he makes the team. I’m not convinced that any of Lucic/Rooney/Lewis are everyday players at this point,  but we know Sutter won’t take Lucic/Lewis out. I could see Eakin and Rooney do a 60/40 split for the 4th line C role if Eakin earns a job.

It’s too bad to miss out on Rodrigues, but it should open the door for a young player 

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Only downside to that rotation idea is Eakin has been the worst of that group for several years now. 

it would be disappointing I think if he winds up getting a contract. 

He might make some sense as a replacement for some of the vets we lost on the farm.  Lots of young guys this year.  Sign him with the intent of playing him in the AHL only.  No chance he gets claimed off waivers.  

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Also Stones lives in Calgary full time and skates with the regular group. I also heard he has turned down contract offers this season because he only wants to play in Calgary. 

This might be the Flames doing him a solid too. 

It's a tough spot.  If they sign him, they likely need to waive him.  If he only wants to play in CGY, he would have trouble if he was waived and claimed. 

With or without Stone, the Flames have issues likely on waivers.

If we are being honest, Stone is the perfect #7 D man. Doesn’t need a ton of playing time but can step in and not be a massive liability. Likely not the best option for top 6 with what we already have, but he is a known commodity.

Due to a lack of trade to this point, it looks like the Flames are setting up for 2 likely options based on camp.

1. Valimaki, Mackey and one of Meloche or Kylington basically flop in camp so they sign Stone to league minimum as the 7th D. 

2. 2 of the above D earn the ability to rotate in and out of the lineup, splitting the ice time and press box. Stone does not get signed in this case as a player.

Basically Stone is a backup option if the young guys flop at camp. They may also carry 8 D with Stone as #8 but I find this less likely.

Hanifin, Andersson, Weegar, Tanev and Zadorov likely locks for 5 positions. Kylington is the front runner for the 6th with Meloche the lead for 7. If the team chooses to carry 8, Valimaki, Mackey and Stone are competing for the spot. All the above are waiver eligible (if Stone signs). So basically 9 waiver eligible, possibly ready D fighting for max 8 spots. 10 when you include Stone.

Curious situation to be in.

3 hours ago, bosn111 said:

With or without Stone, the Flames have issues likely on waivers.

If we are being honest, Stone is the perfect #7 D man. Doesn’t need a ton of playing time but can step in and not be a massive liability. Likely not the best option for top 6 with what we already have, but he is a known commodity.

Due to a lack of trade to this point, it looks like the Flames are setting up for 2 likely options based on camp.

1. Valimaki, Mackey and one of Meloche or Kylington basically flop in camp so they sign Stone to league minimum as the 7th D. 

2. 2 of the above D earn the ability to rotate in and out of the lineup, splitting the ice time and press box. Stone does not get signed in this case as a player.

Basically Stone is a backup option if the young guys flop at camp. They may also carry 8 D with Stone as #8 but I find this less likely.

Hanifin, Andersson, Weegar, Tanev and Zadorov likely locks for 5 positions. Kylington is the front runner for the 6th with Meloche the lead for 7. If the team chooses to carry 8, Valimaki, Mackey and Stone are competing for the spot. All the above are waiver eligible (if Stone signs). So basically 9 waiver eligible, possibly ready D fighting for max 8 spots. 10 when you include Stone.

Curious situation to be in.

Could there maybe be an issue with Tanevs return? I would guess having a vet familiar with the system would be the safest option if thats the issue.

That is unlikely as Meloche and Weegar are the only 2 who haven’t been involved with the system previously. Meloche as  likely 7/8 means he likely will get plenty of practice to learn the system before seeing game time. If Tanev is out, Meloche is more of a Gudbranson type anyways so will focus more on just shutting down other teams. So likely would see:

Hanifin Andersson 

Kylington Weegar

Zadorov Meloche

Valimaki Mackey or Stone

With Tanev in the lineup

Hanifin Andersson 

Zadorov Weegar

Kylington Tanev

Meloche and possibly one of Valimaki, Mackey, Stone

I just don’t see Stone as a stop gap for Tanev recovery. Only as a cover for young guys not cutting it. At least my opinion.

15 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Could there maybe be an issue with Tanevs return? I would guess having a vet familiar with the system would be the safest option if thats the issue.

I'm not sure if Tanev has hit a snag in his recovery, but but by all accounts since last we heard he should be ready by the start of the season and likely even for training camp.