2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

Fact of the matter is, the only reason the Canucks didn't re-sign Tanev was his injury history. It was my only concern for signing him. So, we say, well our best defensive D was out for the second round otherwise we'd have a better fate. Well, hope his injury history doesn't keep coming up in the most important part of the season every year. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Fact of the matter is, the only reason the Canucks didn't re-sign Tanev was his injury history. It was my only concern for signing him. So, we say, well our best defensive D was out for the second round otherwise we'd have a better fate. Well, hope his injury history doesn't keep coming up in the most important part of the season every year. 

Given Tanev's luck with injuries, I don't mind we play Kylington - Tanev as a 3rd pair with 3rd pair minutes.  We can play,

Hanifin - Andersson 25-minutes

Zadorov - Weegar 25-minutes

Kylington - Tanev 10-minutes

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Strange, since his final two seasons there were injury free, and he played all of the playoffs.  Prior to that yes.  With us, he played full seasons and left due to a freak injury.  It's always a concern, but the fact he played season on a much more physical team and didn't get injured regular season should say something about his durability.

6 hours ago, jjgallow said:

This thread is like a continual excuse machine for why we don't need to worry about our two biggest weaknesses in the playoffs last year, defense and goaltending.   It wasn't close.

People still assume that next year all the defense will be healthy and play far better and we'll love all the ref calls and the goaltending will just keep improving post season. 

It would be super swell if the world worked that way and bringing in 1 dman would just completely change everything for us

I’ll bite. 😁

While I might have more faith in Markstrom bounceback than you, adding Weegar to the D corps is no 2nd-rate add. The guy excels at preventing rush chances and zone entries, kind of the perfect fit against our foes to the north, no? Plus he adds to our offense and the potential to increase our possession numbers. If we have the puck more, our opposition doesn’t. 👍🏻

I think you’d agree we were pretty top-heavy last year with “the best line in hockey”. Well, Johnny’s gone and no-show Chucky too. We’ve added Hubie to replace Johnny, and we finally have a 2C that can make the 2nd line an offensive threat. Pretty significant changes, but I see us better balanced with players that have higher compete levels than who we lost.  🤘🏻

Mange has put up insane offensive numbers the past few seasons considering his very pedestrian deployment, so I’m anticipating an even better year from him if he’s paired up with Kadri or Lindy. 🤞🏻

To your point, could one of our dmen get hurt again? Yep. But so could McDavid. So could any one from any team. Right now, we have 6 really solid dmen with additional defensive depth (too many actually). Sure, we’re already being rated the best D corps in the league, but that will only be true if it’s realized. The potential is there JJ, and to me, that’s an improvement from last year. Here’s hoping it all comes together as planned and projected, and we know BT still has cards up his sleeve. 😊

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LouCifer said:

I’ll bite. 😁

While I might have more faith in Markstrom bounceback than you, adding Weegar to the D corps is no 2nd-rate add. The guy excels at preventing rush chances and zone entries, kind of the perfect fit against our foes to the north, no? Plus he adds to our offense and the potential to increase our possession numbers. If we have the puck more, our opposition doesn’t. 👍🏻

I think you’d agree we were pretty top-heavy last year with “the best line in hockey”. Well, Johnny’s gone and no-show Chucky too. We’ve added Hubie to replace Johnny, and we finally have a 2C that can make the 2nd line an offensive threat. Pretty significant changes, but I see us better balanced with players that have higher compete levels than who we lost.  🤘🏻

Mange has put up insane offensive numbers the past few seasons considering his very pedestrian deployment, so I’m anticipating an even better year from him if he’s paired up with Kadri or Lindy. 🤞🏻

To your point, could one of our dmen get hurt again? Yep. But so could McDavid. So could any one from any team. Right now, we have 6 really solid dmen with additional defensive depth (too many actually). Sure, we’re already being rated the best D corps in the league, but that will only be true if it’s realized. The potential is there JJ, and to me, that’s an improvement from last year. Here’s hoping it all comes together as planned and projected, and we know BT still has cards up his sleeve. 😊

I would agree it was an improvement from last year, but last year we barely escaped round 1 with our lives,  and D/G was why.   It is improved, yes,  I agree with you.   I just don't agree the improvement is great enough to matter, as most of it was focused on recovering from losses up front.

8 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I would agree it was an improvement from last year, but last year we barely escaped round 1 with our lives,  and D/G was why.   It is improved, yes,  I agree with you.   I just don't agree the improvement is great enough to matter, as most of it was focused on recovering from losses up front.

Most GM's make mistakes by focusing on who won the cup and how they did it.  Tampa lost their best player (arguably) for most of the playoffs while COL had one tough series against STL.  The rest was a walk in the park.  They had average goaltending and a great puckmover.  And enough firepower on several lines to not have to worry if MacKinnon was scoring or not.  

What I am saying is you don't build a team just for the playoffs.  You need to have two scoring lines to move on.  Having Tkachuk worry about fighting a D-man or being the scrum master is what you do if you have a 2nd scoring line.  We had Mangiapane, who only managed to score with Backlund playing his best hockey.So we had a great shutdown line that could transition plus a top line that had trouble getting scored on by the Oilers.  We didn't expect Johnny to prevent goals.  3rd and 4th lines were meh.  Almot zero scoring from them.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Most GM's make mistakes by focusing on who won the cup and how they did it.  Tampa lost their best player (arguably) for most of the playoffs while COL had one tough series against STL.  The rest was a walk in the park.  They had average goaltending and a great puckmover.  And enough firepower on several lines to not have to worry if MacKinnon was scoring or not.  

What I am saying is you don't build a team just for the playoffs.  You need to have two scoring lines to move on.  Having Tkachuk worry about fighting a D-man or being the scrum master is what you do if you have a 2nd scoring line.  We had Mangiapane, who only managed to score with Backlund playing his best hockey.So we had a great shutdown line that could transition plus a top line that had trouble getting scored on by the Oilers.  We didn't expect Johnny to prevent goals.  3rd and 4th lines were meh.  Almot zero scoring from them.

Couldn't disagree more.

If the goal is to only do well in the regular season and in the short term then surely BT is one of the all time great GMs.

Using Colorado as an example of how defence isn't important is not really a sane argument.   Even goaltending, if you are calling theirs average then ours was well below that.

Someone asked about PTOs and who might be offered one.

Players who the Flames should invite on a PTO to push the other players are (if they don’t want to sign outright yet):

PK Subban. Sounds like he is being snubbed by most teams. Doesn’t hurt to give him a tryout with no obligation to sign.

Tyler Motte. Cheap grinder who won’t shine offensively but can still help a team.

Evan Rodrigues. May show chemistry on the PTO to prove he should be signed. Sonny Milano for the same reason.

Derick Brassard is an older grinder, but could be an inexpensive add for 1 year on the 4th line.

Michael Stone at league minimum is still the perfect 7th Dman unless the team wants to rotate a couple of young guys.

Alex Chiasson is a former Flame, still serviceable in the bottom 6 at 31. RHS RW.

Couple of young long shots who may be used to fill the AHL if they tryout but don’t stand out: Daniel Sprong, Brendan Perlini, Zach Senyshyn, 

Just some thoughts. PTOs are free. No harm no foul to cut the player if they don’t earn a contract offer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Players who the Flames should invite on a PTO to push the other players are (if they don’t want to sign outright yet):

PK Subban. Sounds like he is being snubbed by most teams. Doesn’t hurt to give him a tryout with no obligation to sign.

Tyler Motte. Cheap grinder who won’t shine offensively but can still help a team.

Evan Rodrigues. May show chemistry on the PTO to prove he should be signed. Sonny Milano for the same reason.

Derick Brassard is an older grinder, but could be an inexpensive add for 1 year on the 4th line.

Michael Stone at league minimum is still the perfect 7th Dman unless the team wants to rotate a couple of young guys.

Alex Chiasson is a former Flame, still serviceable in the bottom 6 at 31. RHS RW.

Couple of young long shots who may be used to fill the AHL if they tryout but don’t stand out: Daniel Sprong, Brendan Perlini, Zach Senyshyn, 

Just some thoughts. PTOs are free. No harm no foul to cut the player if they don’t earn a contract offer.

I'd personally like to see them offer some PTOs to some undrafted prospects with potential.   And on that note, some preference to defense/goal.

I don't think the Flames have any burning need to get even older in their lineup, the issue is our prospect cupboard is pretty bare and when there is a position to fill there isn't a prospect to fill it.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I'd personally like to see them offer some PTOs to some undrafted prospects with potential.   And on that note, some preference to defense/goal.

I don't think the Flames have any burning need to get even older in their lineup, the issue is our prospect cupboard is pretty bare and when there is a position to fill there isn't a prospect to fill it.

i can see how we could use both. I don't mind vets if they can still play. I liked what Lewis did most of the time. could use a tad more speed though. 

i want a deeper prospect pool but usually comes with drafting and good scouting. We've been a bit spendsy on draft picks and trading down is a dangerous game. But it also tells me (my opinion) they didn't scout well enough. Some would say the prospects are too close in talent to judge. But I'd have gone D instead of Zary... just me? Our speed at C, instead of an average skater.

4 hours ago, bosn111 said:

We need to PTO all the RHS that we can.  See what sticks.

Sounds like Rodriguez still has interest so I will be surprised if you get him on a PTO. Only way I see him getting a PTO if he goes to a team on a pre arranged deal but they need to use a PTO to get around LTIR or something. 

I'm not a huge fan of the PTO route because I'd rather give the ice time and the competition to players already on the roster. Flames have a deep enough camp as it is that I don't see the need for more camp bodies. 

The only 2 players I would maybe have interest in is Motte and Chaisson. If the Flames are not going to make a D for forward trade, or sign Rodriquez although that doesn't sound as probable, their 4th line has the makings of a black hole right now. They could use players like Motte or Chaisson to help that line stay above water. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Sounds like Rodriguez still has interest so I will be surprised if you get him on a PTO. Only way I see him getting a PTO if he goes to a team on a pre arranged deal but they need to use a PTO to get around LTIR or something. 

I'm not a huge fan of the PTO route because I'd rather give the ice time and the competition to players already on the roster. Flames have a deep enough camp as it is that I don't see the need for more camp bodies. 

The only 2 players I would maybe have interest in is Motte and Chaisson. If the Flames are not going to make a D for forward trade, or sign Rodriquez although that doesn't sound as probable, their 4th line has the makings of a black hole right now. They could use players like Motte or Chaisson to help that line stay above water. 

There's too much interest around the league for Rodriguez for him to take a PTO.  He'll take guaranteed money somewhere else.

Chiasson as strictly a 4th liner at minimum wage makes some sense.  I watched him several times as a Canucks last season and they were so desperate, they used Chiasson on the PP.  But Chiasson just doesn't have any finish and squandered all his grade A chances.  But he was a +5 player on an average Canucks team.  As a 4th line veteran who can probably score 10-goals a year, not a bad depth guy to have around.  RHS RW. 

But we've got Lewis there right now.  Duehr might get a few games in this year.  Plus, Schmidt is RW/C who could see some ice time as well.  Chiasson would block the kids.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

There's too much interest around the league for Rodriguez for him to take a PTO.  He'll take guaranteed money somewhere else.

Chiasson as strictly a 4th liner at minimum wage makes some sense.  I watched him several times as a Canucks last season and they were so desperate, they used Chiasson on the PP.  But Chiasson just doesn't have any finish and squandered all his grade A chances.  But he was a +5 player on an average Canucks team.  As a 4th line veteran who can probably score 10-goals a year, not a bad depth guy to have around.  RHS RW. 

But we've got Lewis there right now.  Duehr might get a few games in this year.  Plus, Schmidt is RW/C who could see some ice time as well.  Chiasson would block the kids.

Well that is why you bring him in on a PTO...

But what do we know about Sutter? he prefers vets on his 4th line and kids that come up come up to play more than just a few mins a night in a reduced role. I'm not sure Chiasson is the one doing the blocking there.....

But I also think this who idea of "blocking" isn't fair anyway. Flames have proven over the last few years if they are not happy with a vet and think a kid can do better they'll make the move. Chiasson can easily go to the A or to the press box in favor of someone else. 

15 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i can see how we could use both. I don't mind vets if they can still play. I liked what Lewis did most of the time. could use a tad more speed though. 

i want a deeper prospect pool but usually comes with drafting and good scouting. We've been a bit spendsy on draft picks and trading down is a dangerous game. But it also tells me (my opinion) they didn't scout well enough. Some would say the prospects are too close in talent to judge. But I'd have gone D instead of Zary... just me? Our speed at C, instead of an average skater.

Not just you.

If the talent looks too close to judge,

You may have a scouting or GM issue.

15 hours ago, robrob74 said:

There will most certainly be superstars in the league 5-8 years from now who are currently undrafted and available through PTO or similar.    Covid messed up scouting, so it's almost a guarantee given that it's likely even during good scouting.

Teams who take interest in these emerging players will do well for themselves.

But, counterpoint,

Who needs superstars when Rodriguez is available.

3 hours ago, bosn111 said:

Good look for both Pelletier and Valimaki to be out early. Gives the appearance at least that they are hungry. Also like that Weegar is on the ice early to start getting ready.

You kind of expect this from Lucic and Lewis being role veterans.

I’ll be surprised if Pelletier doesn’t take a spot this year. I’m really hoping for a Pelletier-Backlund-Coleman line.

Pelletier has the markings of a really good player. He does everything well.

I’d say even outside of my Flames slant that he gets it. I don’t really agree the Sutter drift about young players.

You either understand the pro game or you don’t. Need to work on this or that.

I don’t see that with Pelletier.

32 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I’ll be surprised if Pelletier doesn’t take a spot this year. I’m really hoping for a Pelletier-Backlund-Coleman line.

Pelletier has the markings of a really good player. He does everything well.

I’d say even outside of my Flames slant that he gets it. I don’t really agree the Sutter drift about young players.

You either understand the pro game or you don’t. Need to work on this or that.

I don’t see that with Pelletier.

Hard not to like Pelletier,  but also hard not to he concerned that Sutter won't chew him up and spit him out.