2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

On 9/12/2022 at 3:15 PM, travel_dude said:

It's a tough spot.  If they sign him, they likely need to waive him.  If he only wants to play in CGY, he would have trouble if he was waived and claimed. 

I'd be shocked if Stone was a waiver claim but I also don't think they would sign him unless he was making the NHL team. Can't imagine he's interested in the AHL at this point. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I'd be shocked if Stone was a waiver claim but I also don't think they would sign him unless he was making the NHL team. Can't imagine he's interested in the AHL at this point. 

As was indicated, he wants to stay in Calgary. With the AHL team in Calgary, maybe he’s okay with it?

Play hockey for money where you live might be okay. Just don’t hit our prospects with that cannon.

If he makes the big team, we still have work to do waiting for younger players.

16 hours ago, conundrumed said:

As was indicated, he wants to stay in Calgary. With the AHL team in Calgary, maybe he’s okay with it?

Play hockey for money where you live might be okay. Just don’t hit our prospects with that cannon.

Trues enough.  Forgot the Flames farm team is back home in Calgary.

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Trues enough.  Forgot the Flames farm team in back home in Calgary.

I’m envisioning Huberdeau seeing Stone’s shot and saying, “get open, I WILL find you”.

He may be the most dynamic passer in the league.

Florida down 5-1, win 7-6, the new us.

Warning: he can have cold stretches, but when he’s on, he drives waves of offence with his vision and passing.

This is going to be superfun to watch.

He reminds me of Getzlaf. If I’m coaching against him, my first thing would be, “boys, DO NOT put a bee in this guys bonnet, he’ll get 3 times better”.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I’m envisioning Huberdeau seeing Stone’s shot and saying, “get open, I WILL find you”.

He may be the most dynamic passer in the league.

Florida down 5-1, win 7-6, the new us.

Warning: he can have cold stretches, but when he’s on, he drives waves of offence with his vision and passing.

This is going to be superfun to watch.

He reminds me of Getzlaf. If I’m coaching against him, my first thing would be, “boys, DO NOT put a bee in this guys bonnet, he’ll get 3 times better”.

In Stone's case, if he's okay to play in Calgary even in the AHL then just sign him.  Don't get the PTO because we need RHS RD in the farm badly.

In his offseason piece Lebrun mentioned that from what he has gathered the list of teams Tkachuk would agree to a trade to were Colorado, Tampa, Florida, Carolina, Vegas and St Louis. He thinks the Devils wanted him but ultimately Tkachuk wasn't going to go there on a long term deal. 

He says they also made offers to Gaudreau. Doesn't think the offer was past Columbus but what was interesting is the Devils felt they were sill negotiating when they were told Gaudreau was going to Columbus. 

On 9/13/2022 at 9:25 PM, conundrumed said:

At this late time in career, it may be the perfect window to start operating as a player/coach in the farm team, if that’s his interest.  He would support the development for the next generation of players, and still be available for the big team when necessary.  It could be a win-win for both parties!

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

In his offseason piece Lebrun mentioned that from what he has gathered the list of teams Tkachuk would agree to a trade to were Colorado, Tampa, Florida, Carolina, Vegas and St Louis. He thinks the Devils wanted him but ultimately Tkachuk wasn't going to go there on a long term deal. 

He says they also made offers to Gaudreau. Doesn't think the offer was past Columbus but what was interesting is the Devils felt they were sill negotiating when they were told Gaudreau was going to Columbus. 

It would be interesting to know which players we could've got from these teams for Tkachuk.  I'm guessing Kyrou from St.louis.  hard to imagine a name bigger than Huberdeau coming back.

And ya, I wanted to trade Tkachuk for the 2nd overall.  Draft Shane Wright.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It would be interesting to know which players we could've got from these teams for Tkachuk.  I'm guessing Kyrou from St.louis.  hard to imagine a name bigger than Huberdeau coming back.

From everything that I have read, Kyrou wasn’t available in a trade for Tkachuk. It was Tarasenko they were offering.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Depends on who you believe at this point. Some said they offered Kyrou, but accoridng to Rutherford (who is one of the top Blues beat writers) the offer was Tarasenko, Scandella and a pick. I did read somewhere that some sources indicated the Blues were a hard no on trading Kyrou. 

The Canes offer was reported to be being built around Martin Necas. 

As cool as Shane Wright could be it does not sound like that was ever on the table. 

Really like the skill and playmaking ability, the defense and ability to get in on the forecheck is questionable which might keep him off this team. 

Worth a look, either way. If you can put him with more defensive players or use him in a strictly offensive role it might make some sense. He would also help on the 2nd unit PP.

It will be interesting to see how it goes. The perception of him is he is bad in his own zone but that didn't show up on his analytical profile last year. Mind you i'm pretty sure he was deployed in a pure offensive role that will alter those numbers. 

Could be something pairing with Backlund though. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

It will be interesting to see how it goes. The perception of him is he is bad in his own zone but that didn't show up on his analytical profile last year. Mind you i'm pretty sure he was deployed in a pure offensive role that will alter those numbers. 

Could be something pairing with Backlund though. 

What about putting him with Lindholm and Mangiapane, as he was one of the better players at getting passes into the slot. Put him with two defensively responsible players, who happen to be great at getting to the slot.

Huberdeau-Kadri-Toffoli

Mangiapane-Lindholm-Milano

Dube-Backlund-Coleman

That’s a pretty well rounded top9. 

Mind you I would still rather see them swing for a bigger name winger, but you take what’s available right now.

• Like 1

So, the Milano PTO is a bit of a relief.  I was worried we would extend one to Virtanen.

TF, EDM signed him to one.

They seem to love guys that have questionable backgrounds. 

Anyway, I think Milano could help this team.

Maybe he works best with special talent, but if he can make one player shine, it would be worth it.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

What about putting him with Lindholm and Mangiapane, as he was one of the better players at getting passes into the slot. Put him with two defensively responsible players, who happen to be great at getting to the slot.

Huberdeau-Kadri-Toffoli

Mangiapane-Lindholm-Milano

Dube-Backlund-Coleman

That’s a pretty well rounded top9. 

Mind you I would still rather see them swing for a bigger name winger, but you take what’s available right now.

I'd be open to that for sure. Only hesitation would be what type of competition is he going up against and can he thrive? He was pretty sheltered last year and I don't think Sutter would want to, nor should he, shelter Lindholm/Mang. 

The Milano PTO I don't mind, he should actually play himself on the roster as I am not certian we have better options in the Skew. As for Virtanan, the kid was found innocent and will forever be viewed as guilty. The most rational reasoning he would not be invited here would be the ties to Calgary in this case. It would have a huge back lash in the media as well as people in the community. Based on some views on social media now EDM will now deal with a public out cry on the signing. EDM doesn't care nor do thier  fans. What many would view as socially unacceptable is now forgiven when in the Blue and Orange. 

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

The Milano PTO I don't mind, he should actually play himself on the roster as I am not certian we have better options in the Skew. As for Virtanan, the kid was found innocent and will forever be viewed as guilty. The most rational reasoning he would not be invited here would be the ties to Calgary in this case. It would have a huge back lash in the media as well as people in the community. Based on some views on social media now EDM will now deal with a public out cry on the signing. EDM doesn't care nor do thier  fans. What many would view as socially unacceptable is now forgiven when in the Blue and Orange. 

Virtanen sucks.  It's one thing to be a Kane type producer with baggage.  It's another for a guy that can't do much.  Don't need the distraction.

Virtanen made no sense because he isn't very good and IMO has no chance of making this roster. The only reason to even mention the allegations against him was not only are you brining in someone who won't make your team your are adding a distraction to boot.  He never made sense at any level. I mean the guy had had 9 goals and 17 points in 36 games in the KHL last year. 

Should be pointed out he was not found innocent, he was found not guilty. There is a big difference there. 

Virtanen has the tools to be a good hockey player, but he has 0 hockey sense and he has shown up out of shape on numerous occasions when he was with the Canucks.

If I remember correctly he is a guy who was ranked all over the board his draft year and there was a lot of concern with his attitude.